Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 08:09   #3526
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
How should I transfer my contacts from my android xperia x10 to my new bb bold 9780?

I am asking this as my SIM can't accommodate all my contacts, hence nack up on sim and then sim to phone transfer won't work.
When I inserted my Sim into my new 9780 (earlier I was using 9520) the device asked a question whether I need to move the contacts(I was having about 30/40 contact numbers) from Sim to Phone. I did click the 'yes' button and all contacts were moved into phone. May be, by this way you can free the Sim card memory?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 09:34   #3527
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
How should I transfer my contacts from my android xperia x10 to my new bb bold 9780?

I am asking this as my SIM can't accommodate all my contacts, hence nack up on sim and then sim to phone transfer won't work.
on the marketplace there's a title called "android wifi manager".
You can sync all your data(contacts/calender/notes included) over wifi from your x10 to outlook or vcf or anything.
FIgure once you have them on your PC it shouldnt be a problem(?)

EDIT:youll also need its PC end software, by the by.

Last edited by mayankk : 7th July 2011 at 09:36.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 10:15   #3528
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
How should I transfer my contacts from my android xperia x10 to my new bb bold 9780?

I am asking this as my SIM can't accommodate all my contacts, hence nack up on sim and then sim to phone transfer won't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
When I inserted my Sim into my new 9780 (earlier I was using 9520) the device asked a question whether I need to move the contacts(I was having about 30/40 contact numbers) from Sim to Phone. I did click the 'yes' button and all contacts were moved into phone. May be, by this way you can free the Sim card memory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
on the marketplace there's a title called "android wifi manager".
You can sync all your data(contacts/calender/notes included) over wifi from your x10 to outlook or vcf or anything.
FIgure once you have them on your PC it shouldnt be a problem(?)

EDIT:youll also need its PC end software, by the by.
Google Sync is seemingly the easiest option to sync contacts from Android to BB. But beware that this might mix all your gmail contacts in "My Contacts" (with email ID and no phone number) and phone contacts (phone number, no email) together, with no way of seperating them.

One way around it is to create a dummy gmail id just to transfer your contacts using GSync so the contacts do not mix.

Another is to use another 3rd party software like funambol, which can be installed on both Android and BB (and also iPhone, Nokia etc).

If you already use outlook on your computer, then syncing to and from Outlook is another way to get your contacts in sync.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 13:37   #3529
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy

Google Sync is seemingly the easiest option to sync contacts from Android to BB. But beware that this might mix all your gmail contacts in "My Contacts" (with email ID and no phone number) and phone contacts (phone number, no email) together, with no way of seperating them.

One way around it is to create a dummy gmail id just to transfer your contacts using GSync so the contacts do not mix.

Another is to use another 3rd party software like funambol, which can be installed on both Android and BB (and also iPhone, Nokia etc).

If you already use outlook on your computer, then syncing to and from Outlook is another way to get your contacts in sync.
Thanks everybody, I have synced using native google sync but is there any place on my pc where I can see these synced contacts because in gmail on pc I can't see these contacts.

Also has anybody used this funambol?

Also does the bold 3 allow sync with fb (like on my x10) once all contacts are saved? This fetches their display pics and sets them as the contact pics.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 7th July 2011 at 13:47.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 13:56   #3530
BHPian
 
Neilguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 172
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Thanks everybody, I have synced using native google sync but is there any place on my pc where I can see these synced contacts because in gmail on pc I can't see these contacts.

Also has anybody used this funambol?

Also does the bold 3 allow sync with fb (like on my x10) once all contacts are saved? This fetches their display pics and sets them as the contact pics.
I've been using Funambol since a couple of years and have written about my experience here: Keep your contacts in sync on different mobile phones using Funambol Raves, Rants and Tips from a Techno Geek

Yes, the Bold 3 does allow FB sync. The FB app has an option where you can choose to connect your FB friends with your contact list and get their photos from FB on your phone.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:17   #3531
Senior - BHPian
 
nairrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Payyannur-Kannur district
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

I just recieved a message from BB that a new Version is available for download (3.1MB free). New Version: 5.0.3.22 (existing version - 5.0.1.49). Should I download the new version or the existing one will do (My major use is email and BBM).?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 15:31   #3532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,107
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Software numbering is normally A.B.C. A is major rewrite, B minor rewrite/major fix, C is only a minor bug fix. In your case C (and D here) differ. So it essentially a few bug fixes. Depending on your data plan you may choose to install or skip it.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 00:18   #3533
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

wanted an advice,

I purchased curve 9300 last week but it has come preloaded with OS5 the dealer is ready to give me a free upgrade to OS6.
The question is should i go for it?

cause lastime when official andro 2.2 update came for Galaxy 3 from samsung, after the upgrade the phone had become very very pathetic to use.

So please people suggest me as to should I or should I not go for the OS 6 upgrade or not.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 00:53   #3534
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel
wanted an advice,

I purchased curve 9300 last week but it has come preloaded with OS5 the dealer is ready to give me a free upgrade to OS6.
The question is should i go for it?

cause lastime when official andro 2.2 update came for Galaxy 3 from samsung, after the upgrade the phone had become very very pathetic to use.

So please people suggest me as to should I or should I not go for the OS 6 upgrade or not.
In one word: YES.

Samsung and a few other manufacturers have this thing that they release new os very quickly on devices with weaker hardware. This ultimately pushes sales. What the customer nor the company don't realize is how crappy the phone becomes afterwards.

Even though SE released the 2.1 update on the x10 ages after everyone else got it still the phone became more user friendly and better and I like that. Now its getting upgraded to 2.3 in august and even though its late but I'm sure the update will be glitch free.

I have heard from friends n family that RIM updates its phones in a similar manner and hence you should go for the update. It won't cause any unnecessary problems.

Btw you should update your phone on your own and not through the dealer.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 8th July 2011 at 01:09.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 00:57   #3535
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Jatin ji
Quote:
dealer is ready to give me a free upgrade to OS6
who the hell is he to give free upgrade ??

if your device can support latest OS, you can install it anytime, with spending time, money energy.

First get used to existing OS, once you are comfortable with using curve and know whats covered in upgrade, just update it on own.

Most dealers looks for risk taker to try the experiments, don't let him choose you as one.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 15:05   #3536
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,727 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Finally got around to upgrading my phone from BB Curve 8520 to BB Torch 9800. What an upgrade. I am loving the entire experience and so much more improved GUI, Mindboggling camera pic clarity, Speed and overall experience.

Since its the first touchpad-cum-keypad phone from BBM and also my first touchpad phone, having little difficulty in using the touchscreen. Either its too fast or too slow. Unable to set the sensitivity accurately.

Also, as per Torch reviews, its got one of the best keypads. But, I feel its little small and doesnt have a great feel like the BOLD-9000 that I think was the best in keypad feel.

Need some advice on below queries :-

1. What's the latest version of BBM on OS6?

2. When I download apps from the BB app world. My internal memory storage keeps going down. Is there a way that I can move those downloaded apps to media card? Have a 8GB one...

3. Any tips on maintaining this high resolution screen from smudge marks?

4. Whats the latest version of OS6?

5. I am not too happy with the speaker quality of Torch? The sound and voice is a bit feeble for my liking. Is it with all Torch's?

6. Finally, some tips on free games, apps that are highly recommended that i can download from the BB apps would be appreciated.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 19:09   #3537
BHPian
 
slicvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: KA 19
Posts: 747
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

2. When I download apps from the BB app world. My internal memory storage keeps going down. Is there a way that I can move those downloaded apps to media card? Have a 8GB one...
All apps on a blackberry go on to the system memory, they cannot be shifted to the memory card. This is where the original Bold scores over all the other berries. It had 1GB of memory
slicvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 23:14   #3538
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally got around to upgrading my phone from BB Curve 8520 to BB Torch 9800. What an upgrade. I am loving the entire experience and so much more improved GUI, Mindboggling camera pic clarity, Speed and overall experience.

Since its the first touchpad-cum-keypad phone from BBM and also my first touchpad phone, having little difficulty in using the touchscreen. Either its too fast or too slow. Unable to set the sensitivity accurately.

Also, as per Torch reviews, its got one of the best keypads. But, I feel its little small and doesnt have a great feel like the BOLD-9000 that I think was the best in keypad feel.

Need some advice on below queries :-

1. What's the latest version of BBM on OS6?

2. When I download apps from the BB app world. My internal memory storage keeps going down. Is there a way that I can move those downloaded apps to media card? Have a 8GB one...

3. Any tips on maintaining this high resolution screen from smudge marks?

4. Whats the latest version of OS6?

5. I am not too happy with the speaker quality of Torch? The sound and voice is a bit feeble for my liking. Is it with all Torch's?

6. Finally, some tips on free games, apps that are highly recommended that i can download from the BB apps would be appreciated.
Here you go for some points
Best Settings for BlackBerry Torch 9800 Touchscreen Sensitivity? - BerryReview

Leaked: OS 6.0.0.600 for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 | CrackBerry.com

Set the trackpad sensitivity - User Guide - BlackBerry Torch 9800 Smartphone - 6.0

Official OS 6.0.0.576 for the BlackBerry Torch 9800 from Bharti Airtel | CrackBerry.com

http://www.clarivue.com/Blackberry-9...protector.html

http://www.clarivue.com/Blackberry-9...protector.html

http://www.clarivue.com/Blackberry-9...protector.html

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th July 2011 at 23:15.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 23:14   #3539
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

@ghpk

tried the update through my pc but always the update gets failed and says internet connection error although the net connection is perfect any solutions ?

and also
well i am using the BB on loop now the issue is i have total for 4 mailboxes 2 gmails and 1 ymail and another rocketmail, last both belonging to yahoo.

Now when on loop site when i registered my BB and added all the four mailboxes
my 2 gmails and the rocketmail got added and also i started recieving mails too on the same,
but the issue is with ymail the thing is as soon as i added this mailbox on loop site i got an activation mail on ymail on my bb when i opened it, it said that i need to change my outlook settings so that it leaves mail on the server and it showed me the subsequent steps too.

But the thing is i have never synced any of my mailboxes including Ymail with outlook, I dont use outlook.

how can this issue be solved ?
also when i added rest of mailboxes on loop site i also got options to sync my contacts with the mailboxes but with Ymail i didnt get this option.
the ymail inobx is very important to me

Last edited by jatinpatel : 8th July 2011 at 23:16.
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 13:37   #3540
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,727 Times
Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Here you go for some points
I already got the screen protector and got it installed through a mobile store. He installed it neat. 0 bubbles

With regards to OS upgrade. I see in Torch there is an option to upgrade the OS from within the phone. Is it how you do it in this phone?

Previous BB's I use to download the file on comp and then install on phone.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks