Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 14:31   #406
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default Is INR 23000 for used BB Bold without B&W a good deal?

Hi friends,

I am all novice to BB and I am going to buy BB Bold soon. I got offer of Rs. 23000 for barely used BOLD without any bill and warranty. Now what you suggest to me? is that a good deal without B&W? can I take warranty package from BB after purchasing that without bill!!! (sorry for this fullish question..but just want to explore..). i am going to see that phone tomorrow...can you suggest what to look and how to look while buying used BB Bold?

Thanks in advance...
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:00   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quickdraw is the best person to answer you. I think his hobby is buyng and selling BB handsets also helping others who want to get addicted to a BB !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:05   #408
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Quickdraw is the best person to answer you. I think his hobby is buyng and selling BB handsets also helping others who want to get addicted to a BB !
Hummm, ya Mr. Quickdraw, please suggest me..!!
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:25   #409
BHPian
 
R.P.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 179
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

got the unlimited plan for my bold. So far so good, speeds are decent, all applications working fine, but when i open youtube it takes ages to load a video. It also asks me to switch to WAP when streaming videos.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
R.P.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 15:49   #410
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Has anyone used the blackberry storm? I am planning to get one but i heard the keyboard isn't too great.
I am currently using the pearl and I would like to stick to BB's.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:11   #411
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Has anyone used the blackberry storm? I am planning to get one but i heard the keyboard isn't too great.
I am currently using the pearl and I would like to stick to BB's.
I thought the keyboard was actually better as it has tactile feedback and all? If you are not used to typing on screen then it is going to be a tad fussy in the beginning but as time passes by, you will get used to it.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 16:13   #412
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,765 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Has anyone used the blackberry storm? I am planning to get one but i heard the keyboard isn't too great.
I am currently using the pearl and I would like to stick to BB's.
It's crap! The screen has a "play" in it to accommodate the big button below.
Gave it back in one day. Maybe once an iphone user, always an iphone user.

Any one knows how good the Palm Pre is?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 17:37   #413
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
Hi friends,

I am all novice to BB and I am going to buy BB Bold soon. I got offer of Rs. 23000 for barely used BOLD without any bill and warranty. Now what you suggest to me? is that a good deal without B&W? can I take warranty package from BB after purchasing that without bill!!! (sorry for this fullish question..but just want to explore..). i am going to see that phone tomorrow...can you suggest what to look and how to look while buying used BB Bold?

Thanks in advance...
Well Grey market Bolds retail for around 25k~29k so 23 isnt such a good price for something which doesnt have any warrenty. Use good judgement. And no you cant buy warrenty package seperately like abroad. Be very careful that you dont pick up a unit which is PIN locked. Otherwise you wont be able to use BIS on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Quickdraw is the best person to answer you. I think his hobby is buyng and selling BB handsets also helping others who want to get addicted to a BB !


Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
got the unlimited plan for my bold. So far so good, speeds are decent, all applications working fine, but when i open youtube it takes ages to load a video. It also asks me to switch to WAP when streaming videos.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
EDGE is honestly slow, give it sometime 3G is coming soon! And please dont switch to wap that will make it use the other even slower server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Has anyone used the blackberry storm? I am planning to get one but i heard the keyboard isn't too great.
I am currently using the pearl and I would like to stick to BB's.
If you are a heavy user I would not reccomend the storm, because nothing can match a physical QWERTY keyboard. If your usage is not very heavy it isnt that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It's crap! The screen has a "play" in it to accommodate the big button below.
Gave it back in one day. Maybe once an iphone user, always an iphone user.

Any one knows how good the Palm Pre is?
Yes there is some play beause the whole screen cannot be mounted anywhere on the edges of the phone, it isnt as bad as you make it sound. I've used both extensively and will vouch for the iPhone's UI but it has its shortcomings and the Storm is better in some aspects.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 11:21   #414
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

[quote=quickdraw;1190408]Well Grey market Bolds retail for around 25k~29k so 23 isnt such a good price for something which doesnt have any warrenty. Use good judgement. And no you cant buy warrenty package seperately like abroad. Be very careful that you dont pick up a unit which is PIN locked. Otherwise you wont be able to use BIS on it.

Hey thanks buddy, can you suggest how to check that it is not PIN locked? and also if you can suggest what other things I should keep in mind while checking the phone..!!
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 13:13   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

PIN locking, I think is another word for handset lock, very easy to check. Put 2 different network SIM cards and see if both are working (not together, but 1 by 1 ), means its not PIN locked. PIN is the individual handset number of every blackberry. Using a blackberry messenger is through the PIN number shared to another person who uses blackberry. Its a 7 digit number with an alphabet and never changes on a handset. Mine is 2525209C, in case you want to send me a free handset !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 13:35   #416
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

question 1)
Any idea if the number portability that's coming up would also ease my hassles into transferring my Airtel-Delhi to Airtel Hyderabad ?

question 2 )
Ive not yet activated BB services on my sim after shifting to Hyd,not knowing if ill keep this sim for long nor would I like changing to a fresh number. Number portability has sorted one aspect and i'll stick to roaming for next 6 months or so, but would my BB services also be automatically transferable if i get them activated now ??
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 13:52   #417
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Report regarding Overheating of BB BOLD during charging?

DoCoMo halts BlackBerry Bold sales due to overheating- International Business-News-The Economic Times

what's say users?

thanks Shajufx for your inputs...
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 15:46   #418
BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 979
Thanked: 1,202 Times
Default

[quote=AGP;1191427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Well Grey market Bolds retail for around 25k~29k so 23 isnt such a good price for something which doesnt have any warrenty. Use good judgement. And no you cant buy warrenty package seperately like abroad. Be very careful that you dont pick up a unit which is PIN locked. Otherwise you wont be able to use BIS on it.

Hey thanks buddy, can you suggest how to check that it is not PIN locked? and also if you can suggest what other things I should keep in mind while checking the phone..!!
To check if a device is not PIN locked you have to activate BIS on your SIM and when you pop the sim in that phone you have to register the PIN. Go to Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables then press the BB button and select "Register Now" if you sucessfully get a EMAIL from the BIS server then you are clear to go.

On a bold check if both the speakers are working properly, the outside bezel has a tendency to fade and also check the rear battery door if it has any play. The Bold is the best built BB ever so I dont think you will have too many problems. Do check if the MMC door is fine as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
PIN locking, I think is another word for handset lock, very easy to check. Put 2 different network SIM cards and see if both are working (not together, but 1 by 1 ), means its not PIN locked. PIN is the individual handset number of every blackberry. Using a blackberry messenger is through the PIN number shared to another person who uses blackberry. Its a 7 digit number with an alphabet and never changes on a handset. Mine is 2525209C, in case you want to send me a free handset !
No Shaju the phone being locked to Provider has nothing to do with the PIN. Its a completely different thing altogether. The PIN is the identifier for the BIS. And the phone being locked to network is totally another thing. Sometimes people sell their phones but dont unregister the PIN from their BIS accounts this prevents them to use the BIS on that phone with another SIM. Normal phone functions and GPRS will work but not PIN. So this is something you should be really careful about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
question 1)
Any idea if the number portability that's coming up would also ease my hassles into transferring my Airtel-Delhi to Airtel Hyderabad ?

question 2 )
Ive not yet activated BB services on my sim after shifting to Hyd,not knowing if ill keep this sim for long nor would I like changing to a fresh number. Number portability has sorted one aspect and i'll stick to roaming for next 6 months or so, but would my BB services also be automatically transferable if i get them activated now ??
Number portability will take a good amount of time to arrive. This is very off topic but will try to explain this in simple terms.

Only your number will remain the same, rest everything will begin fresh from your credit limit to your talk plan depending on the operator of that area. So dont get it confused with anything else.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 17:28   #419
AGP
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Thanks for clarifying this and voyla!!! the deal is stuck at 20K !!!!
That guy said that he bought that from Canada and there due to heavy taxes ppl. buy without bill and warranty. He also said that it is not used till now and unlocked....I am going to see that tomorrow...

I have simple vodafone postpaid corporate connection. Now If i have to check whether the set is PIN locked or not, I have to first activate BIS on the sim without having BB!!!!!! Now it is risky proposition. If the phone is PIN locked my BIS activation on sim will be a waste

If it is PIN locked, it is so that I can't be able to use BIS forever?? or is there any remedy?

One more question that, how to check that the set is used for some hrs. or days or weeks???

Thanks a lot in advance...




[quote=quickdraw;1191924][quote=AGP;1191427]

To check if a device is not PIN locked you have to activate BIS on your SIM and when you pop the sim in that phone you have to register the PIN. Go to Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables then press the BB button and select "Register Now" if you sucessfully get a EMAIL from the BIS server then you are clear to go.

On a bold check if both the speakers are working properly, the outside bezel has a tendency to fade and also check the rear battery door if it has any play. The Bold is the best built BB ever so I dont think you will have too many problems. Do check if the MMC door is fine as well.
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 18:38   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,575
Thanked: 269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Sometimes people sell their phones but dont unregister the PIN from their BIS accounts this prevents them to use the BIS on that phone with another SIM. Normal phone functions and GPRS will work but not PIN. So this is something you should be really careful about
Your advise put me also into risk now. I have used the same handset with airtel for the BB service. Although phone is unlocked, I hav no clue about the PIN status. Unless I check with the new service provider, I may not know what is my situation. To make things worst, vodafone does not charge pro-rata, even to test if my phone works with vodafone I need to pay 899/-.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks