Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th September 2014, 12:32   #4636
BHPian

Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Hey,

I am also looking at the Q10, have you inquired with offline retailers for the price of 20k, since most online sellers are quoting about 22k+.

The Z3 also seems value for money at 15k with a 5 inch screen, although without the keypad.
Hey, snapdeal is selling it at 19499, listed at amazon for 20267. Checked it again just now.
2-3 days back it was listed on flipkart as well for 20k but now it is not available, so I would say if you really wanna buy it then hurry up :-D
Z3 should be fine but the low resolution is a bit of a stretch on that 5 inch screen.
Aksthedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 22:43   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, hope you guys are tuned in for the big event today

Blackberry Passport is getting launched in London, Toronto and Dubai at 6:30pm today evening
BB has already received orders for 200,000 of this phone. Will this phone help revive the company?

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...-since-launch/
shifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2014, 23:25   #4638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, hope you guys are tuned in for the big event today

Blackberry Passport is getting launched in London, Toronto and Dubai at 6:30pm today evening
Got one today from the Blackberry store. Pre-order booking amount was paid on 24th and picked today noon. Though not going to land in my hands!

The retail shops have also started advertising the availability of the Passport, today.

The spec is superb and the features review of the the assistant is outstanding. Even more interesting is that the key pads are touch sensitive.

As for the OS 10.3, current OS 10 users will not get it; instead, 10.3.1 will be release later this year for all devices. So, my Z30 has to wait for the new OS.

Hope the current focus of Blackberry, back to their faithful business crowd, will help it in coming back.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 02:22   #4639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresheadala View Post
Try reloading the OS. My Z10 was bricked on the first day when tried to update the OS. Follow below link for the instructions.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...S/td-p/2187545
Thanks for the reply. My Z10 suddenly got detected via link and i was able to update the OS after 4+ hours of showing "downloading OS update". Post installation, my phone is back to normal.

I am right now running on 10.2.1.2977.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 10:55   #4640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
BB has already received orders for 200,000 of this phone. Will this phone help revive the company?

Source: http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-...-since-launch/
Yes, I follow the blackberry news daily and saw this on the crackberry forum. Iam happy for blackberry and its time its got its due

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The spec is superb and the features review of the the assistant is outstanding. Even more interesting is that the key pads are touch sensitive.

As for the OS 10.3, current OS 10 users will not get it; instead, 10.3.1 will be release later this year for all devices. So, my Z30 has to wait for the new OS.
Congrats for being the first Passport owner on the forum, how much did you pay for it? Could you please share some pics of your phone? Also after using it for a few days, please do share a detailed report and perhaps can compare it with your Z30?

Passport specs is unbeatable in the market. Is there any phone with the following specs in market?

Quad Processor
3 GB Ram
3450 MH Battery
Highest Resolution screen
13MP camera

I would love to be enlighted

@Happy wheels, please post a few pics taken from Passport here as well it would be interesting to see the image quality. Thanks
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2014, 01:58   #4641
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any phone with the following specs in market?
There are a few that come close.. Xiaomi MI 4, Samsung Note 4, upcoming Nexus 6/X etc. But, whoz looking there ? Do we buy a phone based on specs alone ? Guess none on this thread at least.

Given all other factors are accepted, the touch sensitive keyboard's(with a missing row) performance will be key to the Passport's fate. It sure will please a few. The rest might be picking up the Z20.

Cheers,
D

Last edited by DieselDon : 28th September 2014 at 02:17.
DieselDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 13:33   #4642
BHPian

I recently purchased a BB Z3 for a good deal at Flipkart and after having owned it for nearly 2 months here is my experience and why BB still need to work hard to deliver a good 'user experience'.

To begin with, the phone is handsomely designed, the grippy back being the best bit. It does not have Gorilla glass but I installed a Nillkin Tempered Glass protector over the screen. The camera is decent, but the phone is super snappy. Everything works smoothly, with no lag whatsoever, but after you use it for long you begin noticing stuff that you wish BB iron out.

What makes a smart phone truly personal is its user experience which is basically derived from how stuff works. Suppose you have an iOS device, you open Whatsapp, glide through your chats, press home button to exit back, the animation or even if you have switched it off, everything just works and keeps working like that. What I noticed within BB's Hub were bunch of erratic animations. Suppose you have a missed call, you double tap to open, the hub opens and at the same time the phone also opens, you tap view, the frame pops up, and you are now in the phone app. Same happens with Whatsapp, and all this 'does not' look smooth at all. Feels like BB just left it like that. Hope its improved in 10.3.

The virtual keyboard simply knocks its competitors out of the park. One reason for buying a BB10 device was this(yes! a keyboard!!) and works supremely well. But you cannot live on a keyboard all day can you?

Of the most important things is Apps. Well, after having announced the major partnership with Amazon(probably Amazon played a role in saving BB?), makes me think why the heck not improve their own app store rather than telling users to download Android Apps!! It is like you have a restaurant of your own which is doing ok but you insist your competitor sells his wares and you allow the same and are okay with your customers too buying it off your roof! If I were John Chen, I would emphasise on improving the BB World store rather than allowing my OS to side load or port Android apps to it. Apps are the core of the user experience these days and this is where iOS and Play Store take the cake.

Overall, the BB10 OS is slick, has immense potential and Mr. Chen we would like to see the quality of BB World's apps getting better rather than allowing Android on a BB10 device. It is just outrageous. I did install the Amazon App Store on my Z3, got a few best selling apps and the experience was just horrendous. The way it installed and behaved, that bad! Very crude. The Hub is also a wasted opportunity!

And now we got the Passport incoming here in a few days time and the Classic by the end of the year. Am already thinking of getting a Z30 or the Classic but the overall experience just does not live up, despite BB's being solid communication devices, it is an age where communication devices are doing more than just calling or mailing. BB needs to improve its own app store and then take it forward.

They are great devices, but the experience misses an X factor. Get back in the game BB, we still need you.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 14:11   #4643
Team-BHP Support

Good review Coolmel

Blackberry Passport is launched in India today and is priced at INR 49,990 with 5K amazon india gift certificate and 5K miles from Jet Airways

45K is not a bad price huh?
Old 29th September 2014, 15:09   #4644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I recently purchased a BB Z3 for a good deal at Flipkart and after having owned it for nearly 2 months here is my experience and why BB still need to work hard to deliver a good 'user experience'.
=========Apps are the core of the user experience these days and this is where iOS and Play Store take the cake.
Thats a well written review mate. Though I feel the Z3 is a bit on the expensive side that stops it from being popular amongst the Indian consumers. I say expensive because the bb z10 which has much better specs and build quality was available for a thousand bucks more than the z3, though now it is sold out everywhere. But after reading your review I would say it is a decent buy for people who are not obsessed with only the specs (read quad cores octa cores and what not cores). There is definitely a market for these blackberries in India, when the price of z10 was reduced to 16990 I read hundreds of articles stating that it went out of stock everywhere. Even now people buy those imported z10's from ebay India.
Regarding the app store, even I wish they had more apps for the users but this is the most difficult task for the canadian firm. They need developers to develop more apps for bb os and looking at the sales of bb phones worldwide it must be really hard to convince them to develop apps for this os. So I guess for now, enabling side loading of android apps is the only option left for them. I seriously wish they sell more phones and start competing with android and ios, though at present it just looks like a distant dream
Aksthedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 15:28   #4645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aksthedreamer View Post
Thats a well written review mate. Though I feel the Z3 is a bit on the expensive side that stops it from being popular amongst the Indian consumers. I say expensive because the bb z10 which has much better specs and build quality was available for a thousand bucks more than the z3, though now it is sold out everywhere. But after reading your review I would say it is a decent buy for people who are not obsessed with only the specs (read quad cores octa cores and what not cores). There is definitely a market for these blackberries in India, when the price of z10 was reduced to 16990 I read hundreds of articles stating that it went out of stock everywhere. Even now people buy those imported z10's from ebay India.
Regarding the app store, even I wish they had more apps for the users but this is the most difficult task for the canadian firm. They need developers to develop more apps for bb os and looking at the sales of bb phones worldwide it must be really hard to convince them to develop apps for this os. So I guess for now, enabling side loading of android apps is the only option left for them. I seriously wish they sell more phones and start competing with android and ios, though at present it just looks like a distant dream
Thank you good sir! Well the Z10 is nearing its end of production line. I had the choice but specs aside its terrible battery life stopped me from getting it. One more reason to purchase the phone was I wanted both hardware and software made by one entity, so had little to choose from. But that guarantees a lot of things which I was okay with. As for apps, the productivity is there no doubt but take a look at BB Maps. It is a nightmare. Apple too had its share of problems BUT they within a year they addressed it with the newer version and must say they are listening and improving. THIS is what companies should be doing but BB seem a little arrogant here. Their apps really spoil the entire picture they're painting. But what does not work for me, works for others, so be it!

One more thing, the Passport has been launched at a price of 50k INR. For those specs 50k is a tad too much. 35-40 should have been ideal. In the end we are on this side of the fence, either catch what they throw or avoid! They will truly never learn(if you remember all the existing BB10 device prices and revisions henceforth). Corrective pricing coming up in the next few months for sure.

If they want to stay in the game, all the have to focus on making some good quality apps. Thats it. The hardware is there along with the software. That is how you progress towards making a cohesive ecosystem.

Quote:
Good review Coolmel

Blackberry Passport is launched in India today and is priced at INR 49,990 with 5K amazon india gift certificate and 5K miles from Jet Airways

Thanks partner! 45k is 10k still too much. Reason being it is a radically different design which will have few takers. Hence why not the few takers shell out more to adopt one! Idiotic. BB India need to learn a thing or two with their past experiences.

For sure the upcoming Classic will be priced within the 30-40 bracket.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th September 2014 at 15:49. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 29th September 2014, 15:55   #4646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Thank you good sir! Well the Z10 is nearing its end of production line. I had the choice but specs aside its terrible battery life stopped me from getting it. One more reason to purchase the phone was I wanted both hardware and software made by one entity, so had little to choose from. But that guarantees a lot of things which I was okay with. As for apps, the productivity is there no doubt but take a look at BB Maps. It is a nightmare.
Iam a Z10 user from last 17 months and extremely happy with this phone as its still super fast ( no lagging of apps etc) and has all the apps that I ever need. Agree with battery life being pathetic ( I get around 6-7 hours maximum being a power user) but, i always have a couple of extra batteries lined up so iam not complaining

I still dont understand the lack of app complaint as Iam not sure how many apps one generally uses in day to day life? I have all the basic apps that i need like Weather, News, Business, Entertainment, Games etc

What I would use the phone for is its emails, social media and ofcourse good call quality

Btw, Iam surprised to hear about BB Maps complaint. Have you tried it lately? It's improved a lot and even has voice commands and works like a charm ( I used it in remote areas of Goa and it guided me beautifully)

Finally, on the Blackberry Passport (my next phone), I was thinking it would be priced around 40K but, 5K more is not too bad a pricing and iam hoping it may come down in coming months so i can pick it up so as to give that purchase a sense of VFM..LOL!
Old 29th September 2014, 17:29   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
Iam a Z10 user from last 17 months and extremely happy with this phone as its still super fast ( no lagging of apps etc) and has all the apps that I ever need. Agree with battery life being pathetic ( I get around 6-7 hours maximum being a power user) but, i always have a couple of extra batteries lined up so iam not complaining

I still dont understand the lack of app complaint as Iam not sure how many apps one generally uses in day to day life? I have all the basic apps that i need like Weather, News, Business, Entertainment, Games etc

What I would use the phone for is its emails, social media and ofcourse good call quality

Btw, Iam surprised to hear about BB Maps complaint. Have you tried it lately? It's improved a lot and even has voice commands and works like a charm ( I used it in remote areas of Goa and it guided me beautifully)

Finally, on the Blackberry Passport (my next phone), I was thinking it would be priced around 40K but, 5K more is not too bad a pricing and iam hoping it may come down in coming months so i can pick it up so as to give that purchase a sense of VFM..LOL!
Well, like I said, smart phones are no longer mere devices that make calls. Look at how designers belt out quality apps for iOS/ Google. In that regard I find most BB apps crude and rudimentary. And this is after having used all popular OSes till date. Accounts are getting hacked, no problem. In fact security is one thing BB should stop adhering to and focus on giving more. Security will always be there, discreetly.

As for BB Maps, yes I am using the latest version and matter of fact, is inaccurate, does not even show the road name where I live! Forget asking for directions etc. Pitch the native BB10 Twitter app vs TweetBot for iOS. That is good design made functional by using full power of the OS. But thats the thing, users like me care and others dont. And to them, it does not matter. But it does so because it creates a unique mobile 'user experience' which is intimate. After all, these are our most personal devices.

THAT is the case. But I sure hope BB has been looking into this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 19:54   #4648
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think 50k is a good price(don't believe 5k gift card equates to 5k discount). I think it should have been around 40k since its $599 in US, Blackberry needs to be aggressive to get people back on its bandwagon.
I was contemplating on buying the passport but I'll stick with my Bold for now.
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2014, 02:38   #4649
Senior - BHPian

My Torch 9860 is refusing to boot up. I upgraded Whatsapp and the phone never booted up after that. The bar comes up to the 75% mark (it's OS7) and then just stays there forever. Any ideas what could be the problem and it's solution??
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 17:40   #4650
Team-BHP Support

Anyone picked up the Blackberry Passport yet on the forum?