Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th July 2015, 22:59   #4726
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Hi all, I am using Z10.
On BB World I am seeing a pic showing BB OS 10.3 available but while I try to download it shows that I have the latest OS which is 10.2 something, can anyone tell as to why can't I upgrade to 10.3

Thanks in advance.
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 13:40   #4727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Mobike008 : did you upgrade to SR 10.3.2.2474?

I was avoiding all upgrades after my last experience but finally gave in. Took a full backup, just to be safe.

But, after using it for a week now, the new OS is definitely much better. The battery utilization is down drastically.

Camera is better and am able to get better pictures during night time, without flash. And focusing on objects is accurate. Previously used to struggle to focus on a object, especially if it was a shot of a nearby object.

Apart from that, got an issue, which was not related to the OS upgrade. Putting in my experience here so that it might help others.

Issue was: the Blackberry Passport does not ring nor vibrate when a call comes even though the profile is Normal with the volume not at zero.

Solution: remove the SIM card and put it back in. You might need to give is a bit more push when fixing it back. Don't ask me why or how this works, but it does. I almost did a restore thinking it is a OS issue. And most probably would have binned the device if not for this DIY.

I had dropped it and it fell on the top right corner. Though no physical damage to the device, due to a rubber enclosure, seems like the SIM card moved just enough to cause this issue.

Phone is back to its usual self.

The YouTube video that saved the day:
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 09:22   #4728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Mobike008 : did you upgrade to SR 10.3.2.2474?
Something unbelievable happened....I moved to iPhone

I never thought I will ever move from Blackberry. However, I was getting little fed up with some quirky things happening with my Passport

1. Flickering on text screen
2. Sometimes the phone doesn't respond to button on top for locking the screen
3. It makes calls on its own when iam on a call with someone...There is a list of recent calls that lines up on the calling screen. Very irritating
4. Lack of apps...Uber, Skype doesn't work...Especially Uber..Its so embarrassing I need to call my wife to book a cab for me
5. Acting like a frog in well and not moving from BB ecosystem for over a decade
6. Final straw was my company discontinued support for official emails

I got myself a spanking new iPhone 6+ 64 GB ( same as wifey) and its just a couple of days so Iam still exploring but, definitely miss the power of blackberry emails and keyboard

Passport and Z10 is on sale....

Reckon will be visiting this thread less often now..SIGH !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th September 2015 at 09:24.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 10:14   #4729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I never thought I will ever move from Blackberry. However, I was getting little fed up with some quirky things happening with my Passport

1. Flickering on text screen
2. Sometimes the phone doesn't respond to button on top for locking the screen

Passport and Z10 is on sale....

Reckon will be visiting this thread less often now..SIGH !!!
Lol, congratulations bro. I have been trying to hold the fort with my Q10 but its been a losing battle. Lack of even basic apps, horrid maps has taken its toll here too. Got a redmi2 prime for 6999, what a breath of fresh air at such a cheap price.
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 12:52   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
5. Acting like a frog in well and not moving from BB ecosystem for over a decade
6. Final straw was my company discontinued support for official emails

..SIGH !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Lol, congratulations bro. I have been trying to hold the fort with my Q10 but its been a losing battle. .
I see more and more moving out from Blackberry either to Android phones or iPhones.

I have a Blackberry bold 9900 with 7.1 OS. Was looking at moving to Classic, since the bold is now slow, and occasionally takes a second to respond to keys.

I always like the QWERTY keys and mails on blackberry, but sure of its stability of late (both the company and the product)!! Let me see how long I can hold on to the bold, and then take a call.
raghu.t.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:05   #4731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
I always like the QWERTY keys and mails on blackberry,
I am awaiting for Android phone from BlackBerry (it will have a QWERTY physical keyboard).

Currently using Xperia Z3 and Blackberry 9720
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 13:15   #4732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see more and more moving out from Blackberry either to Android phones or iPhones..

I always like the QWERTY keys and mails on blackberry, but sure of its stability of late (both the company and the product)!! Let me see how long I can hold on to the bold, and then take a call.
I know man, the feel of qwerty pad is unparalleled. My wife and I both were using BlackBerry, she the Q5 and I the Q10 but the lack of apps now makes it very difficult .
The speaker gave up on wife's phone, then reception issues started cropping up.
I used BlackBerry maps once, it took me through every village between Bangalore and chennai ,7 hours travel. Never used it again. Then getting a cab, browsing , too problematic. Frequent issues with WhatsApp, it just became too much to handle.
sammyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 14:46   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Reckon will be visiting this thread less often now..SIGH !!!
Another soldier down! A great way to put your frustrations. LOL!

Am still sticking on to BB just for their international data roaming pack. I save a lot of $$$ due to that.

As mentioned, I would have ditched BB if my issue was not resolved. Reckon I will be spending some more time with it.

Anyway, enjoy your new phone.

Quote:
...I have a Blackberry bold 9900 with 7.1 OS. Was looking at moving to Classic, since the bold is now slow, and occasionally takes a second to respond to keys.

The new OS10 will surprise you. It is much refreshing and gives tons of options and features than OS7.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2015, 16:07   #4734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I am awaiting for Android phone from BlackBerry (it will have a QWERTY physical keyboard).
Hope it gets the best of the two, and not the worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I know man, the feel of qwerty pad is unparalleled. My wife and I both were using BlackBerry, she the Q5 and I the Q10 but the lack of apps now makes it very difficult .
I use it as my primary mobile, check my office mails, sms and whats app. For all the other things, I use my YU Yuphoria and iPad.

Quote:
Another soldier down! A great way to put your frustrations. LOL!
The new OS10 will surprise you. It is much refreshing and gives tons of options and features than OS7.
I too like the features compared to 7.0, but uncertain on where they are heading as a company, and the product stability. Keeping my fingers crossed for the time being, and might pickup the classic end of the year or early next year, lets see.
Old 25th September 2015, 20:23   #4735
BHPian

Quote:

Issue was: the Blackberry Passport does not ring nor vibrate when a call comes even though the profile is Normal with the volume not at zero.

Solution: remove the SIM card and put it back in. You might need to give is a bit more push when fixing it back. Don't ask me why or how this works, but it does. I almost did a restore thinking it is a OS issue. And most probably would have binned the device if not for this DIY.
I face the same problem with my Passport sometimes. I found a simpler solution: just press and hold the down volume button for a few seconds and your sound/vibration will restore to normal. Again, don't ask me how or why it works, but faster than having to remove the SIM. Hope BB fix this issue and the text flickering bug!
Vivek.Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 17:14   #4736
BHPian

Finally after a lot of thoughts and other excuses, I bought a Blackberry classic. I mainly use this for my office emails and office calls.

I currently use a Bold, and have the Blackberry Data plan. Do I continue with this or should I move out of Blackberry data plans. I am being told its no longer required since OS 10 uses active sync. Any idea and also any advantages/disadvantages?
Old 5th October 2015, 20:06   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I currently use a Bold, and have the Blackberry Data plan. Do I continue with this or should I move out of Blackberry data plans. I am being told its no longer required since OS 10 uses active sync. Any idea
You don't need the BB data plan that was being used for OS7. OS10 uses active sync and a regular 3G data plan should suffice.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 11:11   #4738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
You don't need the BB data plan that was being used for OS7. OS10 uses active sync and a regular 3G data plan should suffice.
Thanks. Let me see how different this is.
Old 6th October 2015, 18:05   #4739
BHPian

I purchased the BB Z3 earlier this year in Feb. I wanted it primarily as a second phone and for the immaculate email functionality. It has justified itself in terms of email usage and I have no complaints either with the performance or occasional sluggishness of the phone. Also a couple of software updates during this period made me believe that things will only get better with greater app availability overtime.

However, I must say it is disappointing that even in existing apps some things don't work like they should. Since I have an iPhone 5c as a primary phone and am part of the same groups on hike and also have FB setup in both phones, I must say it is very disappointing to note how things don't work perfectly in BB. For e.g. some stickers that are forwarded to a group appear on my iPhone but for the same group I don't even get a notification or that message in my Z3. Assuming I didn't have the other phone it would have been difficult for me to note this lapse. Also, some posts in FB that appear on my iPhone don't appear in my Z3 and recently some notifications that show when someone likes or comments and when one clicks on them they should go to that message, this doesn't happen on Z3 and shows a message that the post was not found. I don't think things should work like this in today's technology and that is really a big miss from BB, who instead of competing with the best technologies are becoming obsolete and irrelevant by the update. Also, the lack of some apps which have become necessary today like Ola, Uber, YouTube, etc. should have been addressed by now but it hasn't.

I would probably be moving to Moto G3 soon unless BB does something drastic to fix these and many other such problems with the software.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 21:09   #4740
BHPian

After all the setup, I frequently keep getting the error "Account Info needed - Your account is no longer synchronised with your device. Check that your account settings are correct."

Any idea why this is happening ? In my earlier Bold, I never had any issues wth sync and it was always stable. Once I get into the setting, update the password and save, it works for some time and again this error pops up.