Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 17:00   #541
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

I have sold a mobile bluetooth head set, a nokia handset and few other things on ebay and I can vouch for the quality of things which I sold. If your seller has a good * rating, I think its safe to go ahead. Let others too comment.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 22:03   #542
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,633
Thanked: 7,169 Times
Cool My test bed.

Who's the baaaassssssss now!!

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-dpp_0206.jpg

Mission accomplished, both the BB phones now running Logicmail and opera taking care of basic expectation from a smart phone. Planning to write a short review in a bit
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 22:30   #543
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, need some help here. I am in midst of taking a plunge to becoming a first-time BB user and some of the famous mobile stores stock only 8310 Curve, Storm and BB Bold.

Needless to say, i was completely bowled over by BOLD even if it's way beyond my budget.

At the stores with warranty, it is coming for Rs.34,500 and i came across the same phone ( unlocked, brand new, with 1 month replacement warranty) on ebay for Rs.27,500.

Is it ok to buy from ebay? I have bought a few electronics equipment from ebay in the past and i always had a good experience.

Let your opinions come my way
Its a grey market bold. Try finding a better deal online for it.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 23:03   #544
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,721 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Its a grey market bold. Try finding a better deal online for it.
Any tips you can help me with in terms of links for these deals?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 23:24   #545
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,633
Thanked: 7,169 Times
Wink JJaNR: Jaggu's just another nonsense review

Ill not get into BB services since i dont have a BB connection in my sim, also its well documented here. Am a iPhone user so my review might be biased with unfair comparo.

BB 99xx

What i like:
Build quality: its a solid piece, nice to hold and pocket, though some may feel its lil bulky its kind of perfect for a business phone. The leather back cover is a boon and will avoid those silly scratches.

Screen is also lil recessed to avoid any scratches while on a table top. Cant comment on long term usage since this one is right out of the box.

Key pad is tight (its a brand new piece so cant comment on long term usage). Overall it gives you a feeling that its aok to have a drop or two which i cant even dream for iPhone.

Speaker sound: Pretty kewl for a pocket gizmo and it even gives you nice STEREO effect.

Sound clarity: Good, even 121 Airtel sounds clean (this is one of the worst quality recording you can ever hear). Dont know about the mike but the sound clarity, me likes.

Screen clarity: It delivers very good quality while watching movies and for browsing.

GPS: When outside the lock was damn fast (under 15 secs), next best i have seen to Nokia's latest iPhone copy.

UI: Its refreshing compared to 88 series from BB, though only the skin has changed and underneath its all the same! Still giant leap from the previous builds. User friendliness is above average and all the menu's are standardised with a certain amount of logic, so you wont land up with a steep learning curve.

What i DONT like:
Screen size: Its puny, maybe am used to these Win Mob and Apple device with couple of inches of real estate, but i think the quality is heavily handicaped with the size of the screen available.

Key pad: Though the physical keypad on this piece was tight, somehow the 88xx one felt much better for the size of my fingers. Cant rule out the familiarity factor though.

Camera: Its basic, has flash but thats it. Cant compare with Nokia's or even for that matter with good lighting shots on iPhone, which overtakes this one. It has flash which is decent for some additional luminense support. Video in bad lighting is crap and its like one of those previous gen Symbian phones full of pixelation.

UI layers: As mentioned earlier, the first level is completely new, but once you dwell deep you will see the oh so familiar font, menus, layouts. So its a nice skin that RIM has added, maybe they learned a thing or two from HTC

Battery: Fully charged, phone used for under 10 mts, EDGE/GPRS for 10 mts and wifi for 15 mts battery is at 3/4??

Personal Verdict: ** & 3/4 of a *

Will i buy it for myself or for my watchman (cops are already flaunting BB ok)? Maybe yes, if my company picks up the tab for BB + full EDGE GPRS connection while am using the phone for business.

Rest of the time for my personal usage, ill anyday use my iPhone or for that matter the ol HP Win Mob or the new Nokia iPhone clone. BB @ current usage tariff and support JUST DONT MAKE ANY SENSE for me.

Signing off.

ps: Thought of comparison between 88xx and 99xx and iPhone first, but dont think i can add much value since i dont have BB service and will just land up in controversies.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 00:09   #546
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gujarat 03
Posts: 1,302
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, need some help here. I am in midst of taking a plunge to becoming a first-time BB user and some of the famous mobile stores stock only 8310 Curve, Storm and BB Bold.

Needless to say, i was completely bowled over by BOLD even if it's way beyond my budget.

At the stores with warranty, it is coming for Rs.34,500 and i came across the same phone ( unlocked, brand new, with 1 month replacement warranty) on ebay for Rs.27,500.

Let your opinions come my way
Bold is Bold but it is little bulky compared to 8900.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 00:40   #547
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,721 Times
Default

@Jaggu, nice review there on Blackberry Bold ( i assume that's what you reviewed).

But, i read in many user forums that the screen display is mind blowing and is way ahead of iphone. What do you think?

The design of Bold is the best i have seen till date. I mean, it is indeed a style statement.

What about the speed of the processer, is it faster than previous model BB's or some of cheaper versions have same speeds? This is very crucial for a buying decision ( since i am in the market for a BOLD)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 07:00   #548
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

the Bold screen is smaller compared to iphone and other full fledged touch screens , hence pixelation is less visible . Its this fasctor that makes the screen awesome to view.This is of course further enhanced by the fact that you hold it closer as size is small. On a positive note , basically for screen resolution and size it has the best ratio out there. Mine came with a video of an M3's engine combustion and the beeping thing looks like a masterpeice

Speedwise , i have not checked it technically , but I am able to open 2 -3 applications simultaneously without issues.Im normally on GPS+internet and the sms/mails at the same time.wether this is speed related or memory related, dunno but ive not faced an issue anyways.

Unlike Mobile office where in "closing" them and "ending" them is two different commands,Blackberry's dont have the problem of open programs running in the background which your unaware of.

I find the camera reacts very slowly though and picture shake is a major issue. Could be my smokers hands , but camera is same league as HTC, best left for silly moments rather than memories.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 25th March 2009 at 07:04.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 09:48   #549
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,633
Thanked: 7,169 Times
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, i read in many user forums that the screen display is mind blowing and is way ahead of iphone. What do you think?

The design of Bold is the best i have seen till date. I mean, it is indeed a style statement.

What about the speed of the processer, is it faster than previous model BB's or some of cheaper versions have same speeds? This is very crucial for a buying decision ( since i am in the market for a BOLD)
Below quote explains your queries well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
the Bold screen is smaller compared to iphone and other full fledged touch screens , hence pixelation is less visible . Its this fasctor that makes the screen awesome to view.This is of course further enhanced by the fact that you hold it closer as size is small. On a positive note , basically for screen resolution and size it has the best ratio out there. Mine came with a video of an M3's engine combustion and the beeping thing looks like a masterpeice

Speedwise , i have not checked it technically , but I am able to open 2 -3 applications simultaneously without issues.Im normally on GPS+internet and the sms/mails at the same time.wether this is speed related or memory related, dunno but ive not faced an issue anyways.

Unlike Mobile office where in "closing" them and "ending" them is two different commands,Blackberry's dont have the problem of open programs running in the background which your unaware of.

I find the camera reacts very slowly though and picture shake is a major issue. Could be my smokers hands , but camera is same league as HTC, best left for silly moments rather than memories.
Those are very good inputs. As i mentioned earlier, the screen is good but lack of size hampers it. If they can provide same clarity in a bigger screen the game will turn in favor of BB.

Processor i didnt face much problem, unless the open apps list goes beyond 5-6. Small lag here and there if one goes beyond the mentioned numbers, still as mentioned above background processing is quite stable. This device will fit any business users regular usage. Definitely faster compared to the previous gen BB.

I forgot to mention the gaming experience (built in ones) is also not that bad.

My major gripe would be the price factor of the device and the BB service cost in India. If unlimited ineternet access is allowed along with default BB service (including 3rd party app) then it make some sense to pay so much for the device.

Last but not the least style, i would term this piece as "Handsome Professional"!

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th March 2009 at 09:49.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 12:56   #550
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,636
Thanked: 413 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My major gripe would be the price factor of the device and the BB service cost in India. If unlimited ineternet access is allowed along with default BB service (including 3rd party app) then it make some sense to pay so much for the device.
Nice review Jaggu
Yes, handset price factor and the BB service cost here are the only obstacles. I am waiting for the day when the service providers will introduce Blackberry services as "always ON" feature without a monthly rent. You pay as you use, if you dont use heavy, your bill comes light ! Push email and attachment viewing could be available for a flat rent of Rs.50 or Rs.100 a month !

Presently my vodafone tariff plan is Lifetime Postpaid. No monthly rental, only commitment is the CLIP charge of Rs.50/-. Local, STD, ISD, national roaming etc. are all ON by default. Why cant they introduce BB services similar way, rather than killing the customer with a fixed rent for the month, regardless of usage ?

Second week of March, while I was travelling to Kerala with the BB services ON, I hardly used the BB services other than checking google maps (which to my surprise showed German countryside ). This situation happened mainly because many areas are totaly out of any EDGE nor GPRS enabled coverage, specially if you are constantly moving from one spot to another. So, a service which could have helped me a lot happend to be a costly affair without any use ! I cancelled BB service as soon as I returned.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 16:44   #551
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default

@Jaggu :

The Bold is actually 9000 and not 99xx infact there is no 99xx series BB right now. The storm is 95xx.

I am guessing you got these phones from some software development team or something. Otherwise who labels phones

The Bold's screen is far superior to the iPhone, its OLED the colors feel so much richer. Before I say anything I feel comparing phones with different form factors (input methods) is impossible because its a physical advantage and disadvantage.

The Bold's battery always outlasted my iPhone but I still feel both the phones lack in the battery department.

The iPhone's UI cannot be challenged or compared to any other phone. Its simply in a league of its own.

The Camera is better then the iPhone but both the phones camera's are sub standard considering the price we're paying for them.

The Sound quality of Bold is amazing *fantastic* try keeping it below your chin while lying down and play "Coldplay - 42" it will rock you to sleep.

iPhone with WiFi is cool but a Berry on BIS is rock solid.

@mobike : PM me ill try and arrange one for you.

PS : I love the iPhone but I love my Berry way too much, I can vouch for all the berry users here just holding on in the hand gives you a amazing feeling. (OMG I am such a fanboy)

Last edited by quickdraw : 25th March 2009 at 16:46.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:00   #552
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,617
Thanked: 7,721 Times
Default

@Jaggu, I meet abysnthguzzler regularly and i can tell you after seeing his BOLD, i was bowled

@Arun, thanks for your detailed feedback on the screen display and processor speed. Looks like i am leaning heavily towards that one now.

But, pricing is the only downside as its way beyond my budget. Well, what the heck,i am hocking my house and getting this phone

@Quickdraw, Sending you a PM.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2009, 17:33   #553
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,633
Thanked: 7,169 Times
Talking No more BB reviews! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
@Jaggu :
I am guessing you got these phones from some software development team or something. Otherwise who labels phones
No, these are my friends phones and no where related to any development team. Was helping them get rid off BB connection and labellings had some purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The Bold's screen is far superior to the iPhone, its OLED the colors feel so much richer. Before I say anything I feel comparing phones with different form factors (input methods) is impossible because its a physical advantage and disadvantage.
I agree in part, but sorry the rendering while on apps is nothing great. Rather not exciting. Browsing atleast through opera, page rendering was also average. Anyday iPhone browser will win here, even with a sub standard display.

Movie that comes preloaded are good, but then which device it is bad (its always optimized). Video shot through phone is crap for 35 Grand piece! Suddenly started respecting apple for NOT providing one, better not to compromise and avoid the critics. As somebody said, if you really want to shoot video get a cam corder, though Nokia N96 has excellent output even while connected to a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The Bold's battery always outlasted my iPhone but I still feel both the phones lack in the battery department.
You might be correct since my experience is very very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
The Camera is better then the iPhone but both the phones camera's are sub standard considering the price we're paying for them.

The Sound quality of Bold is amazing *fantastic* try keeping it below your chin while lying down and play "Coldplay - 42" it will rock you to sleep.
Still pics is very average, try taking a day shot from both iPhone and Bold and then compare, unfortunately i deleted the ones i had. With flash and close up shots at night, Berry overtook it by miles.

Sound i agree, its good for a gadget of this size. I found the bed side clock mode, more interesting to watch, before sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
iPhone with WiFi is cool but a Berry on BIS is rock solid.
BIS somehow didnt make sense to me (unless ofcourse its free with my connection). Reasons: well i dont like the idea of Push email bothering me after office hours, if i want it, ill pull it. In office or out of office, world aint gonna stop because of that. Even in my Outlook i have disabled auto pull, F9 is for me I rarely get on chats, so that also doesnt make sense.

To add more on cost, my Mob bill is within 1000 bucks a month, with hell lot of free calls, sms and EDGE access. Why on earth will i pay more for Push technology. I thought i was in denial about this, but now 5 of my close friends with BB's have moved back to EDGE and 3rd party apps. So i guess am not alone out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
PS : I love the iPhone but I love my Berry way too much, I can vouch for all the berry users here just holding on in the hand gives you a amazing feeling. (OMG I am such a fanboy)
On the other hand am an apple fanboy and after spending more than a lakh and a half experimenting on Mobile devices in the last couple of years. Somehow BB never tickled my senses, and i dont love it also. It couldnt keep me interested for more than 10 mts when it came out years back (in India) and even now its the same.

Bold was a Nokia E7xx series with better cover UI. I purposely took them home yesterday to convince myself otherwise, but didnt work.

With iPhone everyday i get something new to try out/fiddle around. Everytime i look at the UI i fall in love again, so you can call me a iPhone NUT. Now killing the months before release of OS 3.0

Enough of my rant! What i conclude from my experience is, BIS and BB are also heavily overrated, just like iPhone is to some. It will make sense for people who are required to keep in touch every second of 24x7 with work (stock broker, investment banker types, marketing guys) it might be useful. Yes it has a certain SNOB value due to its association with business people and celeb's (often wonder if they even know how to use the berry). Otherwise its just another mobile device, BOLD is a terrific piece look wise, but price??

A person like me who uses it for normal email at work and in personal life, who does browsing alot and want more fun with apps?? would definitely look somewhere else.


<<<And runs for cover from BB fan's>>>

EDIT:@mobike008: All the best buddy, gizmo's are like automobiles, some term it madness, straight from the heart. If you like it and afford it, just GO FOR IT.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th March 2009 at 17:40.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 02:02   #554
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 1,267 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I agree in part, but sorry the rendering while on apps is nothing great. Rather not exciting. Browsing atleast through opera, page rendering was also average. Anyday iPhone browser will win here, even with a sub standard display.
iPhone browser is kind of the best in the business. Although it lacks in some places I reckon its the best mobile browsing has to offer.

Quote:
Movie that comes preloaded are good, but then which device it is bad (its always optimized). Video shot through phone is crap for 35 Grand piece! Suddenly started respecting apple for NOT providing one, better not to compromise and avoid the critics. As somebody said, if you really want to shoot video get a cam corder, though Nokia N96 has excellent output even while connected to a TV.
I have actually watched a entire episode of House on the Storm and it was amazing. The Video recording and Camera are a novelty so I wont argue about that
Quote:

You might be correct since my experience is very very limited.
I have used both for quite a length of time and will say that I would choose the BOLD.

Quote:

Sound i agree, its good for a gadget of this size. I found the bed side clock mode, more interesting to watch, before sleep
Its actually a very good feature it allows you to filter out of block calls and email completely and looks really nice when in the dock.
Quote:

BIS somehow didnt make sense to me (unless ofcourse its free with my connection). Reasons: well i dont like the idea of Push email bothering me after office hours, if i want it, ill pull it. In office or out of office, world aint gonna stop because of that. Even in my Outlook i have disabled auto pull, F9 is for me I rarely get on chats, so that also doesnt make sense.

To add more on cost, my Mob bill is within 1000 bucks a month, with hell lot of free calls, sms and EDGE access. Why on earth will i pay more for Push technology. I thought i was in denial about this, but now 5 of my close friends with BB's have moved back to EDGE and 3rd party apps. So i guess am not alone out there.
I am sure you havent checked the "Phone Only" profile on the BB.

The 300 BIS plan is quite lucrative, how much cheaper do you want it to get? Its the cheapest in the world AFAIK. EDGE and 3rd Party Apps will never let you use the berry to the fullest sadly we all know that. And BIS costs are operator controlled and has nothing to do with RIM.

Quote:

On the other hand am an apple fanboy and after spending more than a lakh and a half experimenting on Mobile devices in the last couple of years. Somehow BB never tickled my senses, and i dont love it also. It couldnt keep me interested for more than 10 mts when it came out years back (in India) and even now its the same.

Bold was a Nokia E7xx series with better cover UI. I purposely took them home yesterday to convince myself otherwise, but didnt work.
Many of us here have graduated over from other manufacturers too, its a matter of personal taste really a berry can do everything a comparitive Nokia, Motorola or a HTC would be able to do. Berries are better because of the in your face intuativeness and straight forward approach. The UI was never one of the strong points actually.

Quote:

With iPhone everyday i get something new to try out/fiddle around. Everytime i look at the UI i fall in love again, so you can call me a iPhone NUT. Now killing the months before release of OS 3.0
Yes I heard you guys are finally looking forward to copy paste really cool aint it?
Quote:

Enough of my rant! What i conclude from my experience is, BIS and BB are also heavily overrated, just like iPhone is to some. It will make sense for people who are required to keep in touch every second of 24x7 with work (stock broker, investment banker types, marketing guys) it might be useful. Yes it has a certain SNOB value due to its association with business people and celeb's (often wonder if they even know how to use the berry). Otherwise its just another mobile device, BOLD is a terrific piece look wise, but price??

A person like me who uses it for normal email at work and in personal life, who does browsing alot and want more fun with apps?? would definitely look somewhere else.
I know a lot of people who love the functionality and the ability to be online 24/7 on a BB. Not everyone is a hardcore stereotyped Berry user like people suggest. Many teens use it to be in touch with friends and check on facebook and email each other assignments here in college. SNOB value was there with the iPhone as well and many celebraties that use Berries (including Barrack Obama) actually insist on them because other devices feel incomplete to them. Again the Berries are overpriced in India by operators.
Quote:


<<<And runs for cover from BB fan's>>>
Dont take any of the above personally, I believe the Berry can do everything and more then the iPhone in a far superior manner. But I also agree (I own a iPhone as well) that the iPhone is a incredably funky little thing and the amount of apps and other things for it are amazing. The limitations on both the platform exist and if they have to be removed they would gain the inharent limitations of the other device. Hence in the end it boils down to personal choice and it cannot be conclusively said one device is better then the other.[quote]
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 10:19   #555
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 628
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

@quickdraw

thats why i've got the best of both worlds i use the BB Bold & have the iPod Touch 32GB and use it over wi-fi.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Of Bappa, Blackberry, Beach and a Beige beauty - My trip to Ganapatipule JoshMachine Travelogues 4 16th July 2013 14:21
Blackberry Pearl 8100 Sahil Gadgets, Computers & Software 20 10th September 2009 20:14
blackberry's for banglore cops whatcanthisbe Shifting gears 11 30th May 2007 22:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks