Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th August 2009, 12:01   #1186
BHPian

Im getting it for 17K .Phone is 10 days old and is in mint condition.
The only problem i see is that it is vodafone locked but im on airtel .
Is unlocking it a pain and how much it can cost?
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:27   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Im getting it for 17K .Phone is 10 days old and is in mint condition.
The only problem i see is that it is vodafone locked but im on airtel .
Is unlocking it a pain and how much it can cost?
Its honestly not worth the price anymore, because of the new BB's being launched and Storm2 is just around the corner.
quickdraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 12:43   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Maverick555,

Unlocking a BB also voids the warranty. BB repairs outside warranty are pretty expensive. Moreover BB handhels are not as reliable as the Nokia's . RIM has not been able to make them dust proof/resistant.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:12   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Maverick555,

Unlocking a BB also voids the warranty. BB repairs outside warranty are pretty expensive. Moreover BB handhels are not as reliable as the Nokia's . RIM has not been able to make them dust proof/resistant.
That is totally untrue, who told you that? Most of the BB users unlock their handsets to use it with a different provider. And it has no effect on the warranty.
Old 10th August 2009, 13:28   #1190
BHPian

Then ill wait for storm 2.
Thanks for the info quickdraw
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 13:33   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
That is totally untrue, who told you that? Most of the BB users unlock their handsets to use it with a different provider. And it has no effect on the warranty.

Quickdraw, In india the warranty is voided in case you unlock the handset. In case of Airtel, Wipro takes care of warranties and try going to them with a BB having a Voda SIM. You have to produce a proof of purchase (Invoice) when you visit the service centre.

RIM does not have any direct service centres in India. hey have a facility in Blore where all handhelds are sent for repairs ( only software issues/upgrades are handled at the local centres)
I work in the telceom sphere in one of the service providers so I know.

It is also incorrect to state that most BB unlick their handsets. Only a handful do so . Why would they do so unless they change their operator and the prices charged by all operators are more or less the same( except for some corporate deals).

A couple of cases may slip the people at the service centre as the process is mostly manual. Never make the mistake of going to them with a sim from a different operator or telling them that it is unlocked.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 13:54   #1192
Senior - BHPian

I am seriously looking at the BB 8520 as a 2nd phone. My N82 has GPS and 3G. So it doesnt bother me much regarding the same.

Anyone's bought the same ? Will it be available with Vodafone in the near future or is it an Airtel exclusive ?
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 15:45   #1193
BHPian

Why is BB wifi useless BTW, I use it everyday and it works just fine on my bold.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 16:24   #1194
Senior - BHPian

My wi-fi experience on the Pearl 8120 is below average, as I am not able to do anything serious on this. No messengers and browsers take too much of time. Its not worth the strain. Presently I am on Voda BB 299 plan, so my usage is only messengers apart from the basic function of instant delivery of emails.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 00:52   #1195
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Wifi works fine on bold but its not as easy as using BIS. Some applications have "use wifi when available" and they work. But most apps dont work.

oh btw : Updated ubertwitter is available.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 01:28   #1196
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My personal experience with two BBs

Business phone: BlackBerry Bold 9000 (amazing device)
Multimedia phone: BlackBerry Storm (hmm.. umm.. ok)

Both these phones have got in my good books! But i still like my SE P1i; its smaller, lighter and does everything these babies do (+touchscreen)!
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 11:39   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Quickdraw, In india the warranty is voided in case you unlock the handset. In case of Airtel, Wipro takes care of warranties and try going to them with a BB having a Voda SIM. You have to produce a proof of purchase (Invoice) when you visit the service centre.

RIM does not have any direct service centres in India. hey have a facility in Blore where all handhelds are sent for repairs ( only software issues/upgrades are handled at the local centres)
I work in the telceom sphere in one of the service providers so I know.

It is also incorrect to state that most BB unlick their handsets. Only a handful do so . Why would they do so unless they change their operator and the prices charged by all operators are more or less the same( except for some corporate deals).

A couple of cases may slip the people at the service centre as the process is mostly manual. Never make the mistake of going to them with a sim from a different operator or telling them that it is unlocked.
Yes I know, the BlackBerry service in India is filled with ignorant and illitrate ideots. Especially at Airtel & Vodafone stores. Nowhere in the world is the warrenty voided by unlocking the handset. And if you know what I am talking about the guy you take the handset to wouldnt be wiser in 9/10 cases if you take it there without a SIM card. And one of the biggest things I dont understand is why do most of the electronics service centres want a bill for claiming warrenty. Why cant they just do what Apple does and look up the serial number. I've seen so many people getting frustrated with the brand because of lost bills and refusal of service. We are talking about BlackBerries here the situation is the same with iPhone. Apple and RIM have made the biggest mistake of their life consumer wise by making TeleCo's like AirTel and Vodafone responsible for the service of their respective hardware. These people at their flagship stores are programmed every week to explain their new talk plans and sms packs and that too they cant do properly. How do we expect them to cover service.

I sold my Grey Bold to another user on the same board. He suffered a problem with his phone. He took it to a AirTel centre where he knew someone do you know that guy had the odacity to ask him 12,000 Rs for repairs and no gurantee that his phone will be fixed??? RIM have taken a good step by launching fully unlocked phones through Redington. And it doesnt make much sense for buying from AirTel or Vodafone because they are priced the same or higher (atleast with the unlocked ones we can bargin at our local mobile wallah)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Why is BB wifi useless BTW, I use it everyday and it works just fine on my bold.
It works, but is it any usefull?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
My personal experience with two BBs

Business phone: BlackBerry Bold 9000 (amazing device)
Multimedia phone: BlackBerry Storm (hmm.. umm.. ok)

Both these phones have got in my good books! But i still like my SE P1i; its smaller, lighter and does everything these babies do (+touchscreen)!
Ha ha so you can sell your Bold to me, CHEAP
Old 13th August 2009, 12:36   #1198
BHPian

Yup its useful. I use it at airports about 4-5 times in a month. I use it at home to browse everytime my wife insists on using a completely OC'ed computer for web browsing and I use it various starbucks everytime I travel abroad, which is like once a month for 5-7 days, and the data charges really get you. So its very helpful, mainly if you travel a lot..
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 13:16   #1199
BHPian

What I meant to mention mav is that the WiFi on a BlackBerry per say isnt all plug and play. Sure you can do a little bit of browsing here and there but many of the legacy applications dont work over wifi. This is a major shortcoming of BlackBerry but they usually expect people who buy BB handsets to be on a BB Plan.
Old 13th August 2009, 13:46   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
... but many of the legacy applications dont work over wifi. This is a major shortcoming of BlackBerry but they usually expect people who buy BB handsets to be on a BB Plan.
Which are those?

Surely RIM couldn't care which plan you are on to design the WiFi implementation?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote