Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th September 2009, 20:10   #1366
Senior - BHPian

You cant ask for a comparison between devices that are priced 15k, 20k and 30k.

Feature wise the 8900 is tops (camera/price)
The Bold is desirable, has a larger screen but bad camera.
The 8520 is a cracka deal!

Go through previous pages.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 16:05   #1367
BHPian

Default Nokia E72 worth the wait?

My friend asked me this question and my suggestion was just close your eyes and go for the 8520. But I was stumped by his argument

5MP camera with auto focus
GPS, A-GPS, with integrated compass
Rs.299 for 200MB Nokia Messaging and browsing vs Rs.899 in BB

:-(

What do I tell him?
deepakchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 20:15   #1368
BHPian

I need to connect my desktop to the internet using my blackberry 8320. Am unable to connect to the internet. When called the BB helpline they denied and said this handset cannot help connect the desktop to the internet. Anybody has the settings to connect the desktop using BB??

Have read on other forums that the BB can be connected to the internet. But no steps given. help.
funkydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 23:48   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
My friend asked me this question and my suggestion was just close your eyes and go for the 8520. But I was stumped by his argument

What do I tell him?
I might have asked him to join the line - I am waiting for the E72 but there is no news of its launch yet. They better start selling it soon or I might lose patience and buy myself something else.

For me, the E72 makes much more sense as migrating and transferring stuff from my old E50 would be easy. Transferring data, settings etc. from phone of one brand to phone of another brand is never easy. I do not need the instant mail or BB pin so I might as well save myself the extra monthly charges for BB service. The E series is pretty good at retreiving and sending mails (pull service) not an instant push as in BB.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 03:28   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post

What do I tell him?
BB has a 299 unlimited email and unlimited IM plan as well. They have GPS and A-GPS is nothing but pulling information off cell towers its not a hardware specification. The compass is a party trick and sadly the BB doesnt have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
I need to connect my desktop to the internet using my blackberry 8320. Am unable to connect to the internet. When called the BB helpline they denied and said this handset cannot help connect the desktop to the internet. Anybody has the settings to connect the desktop using BB??

Have read on other forums that the BB can be connected to the internet. But no steps given. help.
The exact term you are looking for is "tethering" or "how to tether my blackberry to my laptop" google for it and I am quite sure you will find documentation for the same. Indian operators would rather their bandwith isnt utilized so they resort to such sick tactics by not informing customers. I assure you it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I might have asked him to join the line - I am waiting for the E72 but there is no news of its launch yet. They better start selling it soon or I might lose patience and buy myself something else.

For me, the E72 makes much more sense as migrating and transferring stuff from my old E50 would be easy. Transferring data, settings etc. from phone of one brand to phone of another brand is never easy. I do not need the instant mail or BB pin so I might as well save myself the extra monthly charges for BB service. The E series is pretty good at retreiving and sending mails (pull service) not an instant push as in BB.

Cheers,
Each and everything can be seamless be transferred to the blackberry as well. Pick up a berry and ill guide you step by step . And not to mention the million reasons that its better then a Nokia Symbian based phone. Symbian is dead

Last edited by quickdraw : 11th September 2009 at 03:36.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 07:49   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

Each and everything can be seamless be transferred to the blackberry as well. Pick up a berry and ill guide you step by step . And not to mention the million reasons that its better then a Nokia Symbian based phone. Symbian is dead
Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind when I do buy that replacement phone and take you up on it. LOL - You have been warned!

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 10:52   #1372
JVH
Senior - BHPian

I finally upgraded to Curve 8900 Javelin. Boy what a fantastic handset it is! I'm loving it.

The initial impressions are very good. Getting to know the handset was quite simple since I already had 2 BBs before this one. Will post pictures and the experience in a few days.

My only concern is the trackball. Don't you guys find it a little bit sensitive compared to say a pearl? I found pearl's trackball robust and tough.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:03   #1373
BHPian

Default How to SIM Unlock BB Curve 8310

I have got a BB Curve 8310 that was on contract with AT&T and as it is SIM locked, how to unlock the phone to use in chennai. I have the phone here with me in chennai and is there any address/numbers where i can get it unlocked.

I tried to search internet for DIY unlocking but did not see any promising methods.
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 11:38   #1374
BHPian

Default Using your BB as a Thethered Modem

Quote:

Hi!
Open the attached link and follow the instructions.
View Document

Pl. note that it will not work with 299 Plan,you need to be in 899 Plan!
jgsolo27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:34   #1375
BHPian

Quote:

There are a lot of 3rd party software for tethering costing around 20~50 USD. I don't know if they work with Indian ISP's.

As such, the BB data plans,do not allow you to tether/share data with your notebook. But there is a way out, which works sometimes ( it worked for me).

Check your PM funkydude.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th September 2009 at 12:55. Reason: back to back posts, use multi quote please.
riteshritesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:23   #1376
Senior - BHPian

I just got the BB 299 plan activated on my BB. Now I am going to configure my Yahoo account to test the connection. My question is, will it try to download all my existing mails from the Yahoo server or will it take it as a fresh configuration with zero mails and will add mails to the phone only post configuration.

I need to know this as i have a lot of existing mails in the yahoo mailbox and dont want them to be downloaded.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:34   #1377
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
I just got the BB 299 plan activated on my BB. Now I am going to configure my Yahoo account to test the connection. My question is, will it try to download all my existing mails from the Yahoo server or will it take it as a fresh configuration with zero mails and will add mails to the phone only post configuration.

I need to know this as i have a lot of existing mails in the yahoo mailbox and dont want them to be downloaded.
It will allow only the new mails. No need to worry about the existing inbox.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 15:54   #1378
Distinguished - BHPian

Just bought the curve 8520. VERY pleased that there's no trackball.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:04   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Excellent! I need to buy this for my mom, who's birth-day is coming up on the 15th. How do you find the processor speed & screen resolution? Getting the Airtel 299 pre-paid plan for her as she hardly browses and would mostly use it for chat & emails. The only bummer is that it does not have GPS.

BTW i have just paid up for Airtel's annual advance rental plan for Rs. 6,999/- which works out a way lot cheaper than the 899 per month plan that i had been using. It will get activated on realisation of my cheque.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 11th September 2009 at 16:12.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 16:09   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
It will allow only the new mails. No need to worry about the existing inbox.
Perfect. Thanks a lot Jayant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Congratulations Sam. The trackpad is great to use, though the phone is like a fingerprint magnet. Need to clean it every few minutes.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote