Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd March 2015, 10:12   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
That is one genre where performance (AF, low light capabilities, buffer etc.) matters a lot.
I agree to majority of them. I use a lot of flash hence low light is not a great deal, i am used to manual lenses a lot and af is the least of worries (i look for higher crop sensors to make the minimal reach) and buffer, most of the cmaeras have decent Jpeg buffer. My 1d is 8fps and has an AF system which is old but actually decently reliable in case i need them.

Between spending 5K on a 1dX and 5K on 500mm, i may chose the latter where the lens will continue to help me reach and still help me take pictures as good as any camera can.

I am no where an expert but i used to believe cameras will make you better, but i moved on to lenses makes it way better. For me getting those lenses makes more sense for me and i am always after the smallest set up for wildlife. The one reason i was roaming with a 50-500 and a oly with a flash was to manage the shortcomings for that lens for low light. Yes those 1Dx and a 800mm will definitely run circles around my set up, but i am not a pro to worry about what image i may get out of that set up. Rather i enjoy the experience and still get decent pictures that i enjoy.

For sports i would agree your arguement. Manual lenses or my current set up will be so short. But to be honest this set up was used years ago with so much success that many pcitures of fast action sports from that era was with this same 4MP camera . Generations help make a camera easier to use like a 7D mark II is more than efficient to take pictures better than the pro series of 1d Mark II or Mark III and it will only get better.

Upgrading the camera is fine as long as the price is already depreciated. That was my point when i said its over stated.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:55   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I agree to majority of them. I use a lot of flash hence low light is not a great deal, i am used to manual lenses a lot and af is the least of worries (i look for higher crop sensors to make the minimal reach) and buffer, most of the cmaeras have decent Jpeg buffer. My 1d is 8fps and has an AF system which is old but actually decently reliable in case i need them.

Between spending 5K on a 1dX and 5K on 500mm, i may chose the latter where the lens will continue to help me reach and still help me take pictures as good as any camera can.

I am no where an expert but i used to believe cameras will make you better, but i moved on to lenses makes it way better. For me getting those lenses makes more sense for me and i am always after the smallest set up for wildlife. The one reason i was roaming with a 50-500 and a oly with a flash was to manage the shortcomings for that lens for low light. Yes those 1Dx and a 800mm will definitely run circles around my set up, but i am not a pro to worry about what image i may get out of that set up. Rather i enjoy the experience and still get decent pictures that i enjoy.

For sports i would agree your arguement. Manual lenses or my current set up will be so short. But to be honest this set up was used years ago with so much success that many pcitures of fast action sports from that era was with this same 4MP camera . Generations help make a camera easier to use like a 7D mark II is more than efficient to take pictures better than the pro series of 1d Mark II or Mark III and it will only get better.

Upgrading the camera is fine as long as the price is already depreciated. That was my point when i said its over stated.
Well, valid points. Ultimately the best gear for you is what works for you. But:
1. Flash and wildlife usually don't go together. Not good for the creature, unsafe for the photographer (e.g. with elephants and tigers) and many times the creature is beyond flash range
2. One can always rent a lens
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 21:37   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, valid points. Ultimately the best gear for you is what works for you. But:
1. Flash and wildlife usually don't go together. Not good for the creature, unsafe for the photographer (e.g. with elephants and tigers) and many times the creature is beyond flash range
2. One can always rent a lens
Agreed. I think each has its own pros and cons. Definitely owning the top of the line camera and lens helps.

To be fair, i had those top of the lines few years back, but just realized how much i sell and why the top of the lines were just a smug factor. Now i am so reduced and going after niche lenses.

In fact saving each and every rupee to get that OTUS
Old 5th March 2015, 19:21   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact saving each and every rupee to get that OTUS
Ah that would be a great lens to add to the kit. Are you aiming for the 55 or 85mm?

Given my weakness for fast prime lenses, I was looking to buy the 55 1.4 in mid 2014 but decided against it and bought a lens which was substantially less expensive and one that I'd actually use more often i.e. the Nikon 80-400 G. Plus I already have 2 primes in the 50mm FL range (50 1.4 G and 58 1.4 G). I simply could not justify buying another (the Otus). The itch is firmly under control now Ditto for the Otus 85 1.4 as I have the Nikon version.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2015, 08:05   #1535
Senior - BHPian

@R2D2.

50mm is taken over by Sigma for Sure. Otus is too much a cost for the diff in quality across frame. The sigma art is a killer for its price and quality.

85mm is a choice but i have the 85L which i fell in love with in 2007 and still hasnt got over it. But thats sitting idle after i tasted the zeiss 135.

And i have a collectors 50mm F.0.95 which i am just keeping for history and collection. That bokeh is a killer and with full frame mirrorless this lens is superb and easy to mount.

I use a canon 1d 4mp so i can afford this 135 lens. Cant add any body or lens for a while, so if i am going after otus it will be after selling one of the other lens.

Good thing about 4Mp is the 4MB file size and i hardly fill hard disks
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-20150301165654.jpg  

Last edited by VW2010 : 6th March 2015 at 08:07.
Old 7th March 2015, 18:05   #1536
Team-BHP Support

Hopefully I am the first OMD E-M5 MkII owner on this thread....

Placed on a CD to give an idea of the size.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p30700051.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Though my first preference was black the dealer asked me to check this out as well. And given I love the camera's retro looks, the silver/black combination won me over. Just makes it look so much like the OM-1. And you are absolutely right, a silver/black body will go with either a black or silver lens.
Finally, fixed my color match problem. Now the 45mm will match the body.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p3070002.jpg

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-p30700052.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 7th March 2015 at 18:39.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 00:13   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hopefully I am the first OMD E-M5 MkII owner on this thread....Finally, fixed my color match problem. Now the 45mm will match the body.
Congrats Sharath. Yeah guess you're the 1st on TBHP. I doubt I'll be upgrading my camera for a pretty long time to come even if there's an EM1-Mark II.

Quote:
@R2D2.

50mm is taken over by Sigma for Sure. Otus is too much a cost for the diff in quality across frame. The sigma art is a killer for its price and quality.
Beautiful photo!

Agreed. The Sigma Art lenses have the best price/performance of all lenses.

But I think price rises exponentially for a small %age increase in image quality. That said, the Otus 85 1.4 is among the highest scoring lenses known to man.

http://www.lenscore.org/

Go to scores --> and click on All lenses. You can sort the fields in ascending or descending order. These guys test on a 200 MP sensor. No idea who made the sensor. Just take the scores for whatever they are worth
Old 8th March 2015, 21:56   #1538
Senior - BHPian

That oly is simply sexy, small, compact and killer classic. Love it mm to mm.

saw the lens score. The otus 85 is a sin . I will try that but that will be in exchange for the 85L i have now.

What i realized is that i cannot sell the zeiss 135 for any reason. Will share some pictures but the score indicates what it delivers. Supreme contrast, color and absolutely distortion free images with no lens based artifacts

OTUS is just perfect and it may be too perfect for my liking for i like a little character like the sonnetar 50mm or the canon 50mm 0.95
Old 20th March 2015, 21:59   #1539
Team-BHP Support

And the OMD EM5 MkII is finally available in India, at 75K just for the body.

http://indianexpress.com/article/tec...a-at-rs-74990/
Old 21st March 2015, 16:46   #1540
Team-BHP Support

And here the famous 40MP shot... can't upload as it is too big.

You can even read the plates of my Jeep parked far away on the left. But moving subjects like trees and leaves are blurred. That is because the camera takes 8 separate shots while shifting the sensor and combines them on the fly.

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-cxqf.../i-cxqf63N.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 21st March 2015 at 16:48.
Old 21st March 2015, 21:13   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And here the famous 40MP shot... can't upload as it is too big.
Nice! Which lens did you use? Guess you had to mount the camera on a tripod for the 8 exposures?

Quote:
And the OMD EM5 MkII is finally available in India, at 75K just for the body.
I wonder what Oly is trying by pricing their m43 cameras so high. Though 75K is competitive vis a vis US prices ($1099/Rs 68K). The EM1 is just $200 more after a $100 rebate.

The concern is these high prices will drive people towards cameras with larger sensors for e.g. a Fuji XE2 ($799), Fuji XT1 for $1199 (in MLCs) or to mid range crop DSLRs from C & N, for e.g. a D7200 for $1197.
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:40   #1542
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Nice! Which lens did you use? Guess you had to mount the camera on a tripod for the 8 exposures?
The 12-40mm. The High Res option is not even enabled unless the camera detects the tripod.
Old 22nd March 2015, 02:53   #1543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 12-40mm. The High Res option is not even enabled unless the camera detects the tripod.
Can you try put electronic shutter(Full electronic shutter, not first curtain). I want to know whats the slowest shutter speed you can use.

Also, if you put in a wired release, and take a timelapse, it it possible to use only electronic shutter?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 15:18   #1544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Can you try put electronic shutter(Full electronic shutter, not first curtain). I want to know whats the slowest shutter speed you can use.
It is 60 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Also, if you put in a wired release, and take a timelapse, it it possible to use only electronic shutter?
Yeah, time lapse works with any of the shooting modes. I tried with electronic shutter, it works well. Totally silent.
Old 22nd March 2015, 17:43   #1545
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is 60 seconds.

Yeah, time lapse works with any of the shooting modes. I tried with electronic shutter, it works well. Totally silent.
More than the silence, its the mechanical shutter wearout which worries me.
at 30FPS, a 10 minutes movie is about 18000 actuations. It just takes a few movies to reach 150,000 limit of mechanical shutters.

That is why I have not bought the A6000. I am waiting for a companion cam to my A7(which will do strictly ASTRO and ultra wide duty with a 15-30 kind of lens.

If sony A6000 successor does not come out with full electronic shutter capability, I will take a look at the Panasonic or Oly camp.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote