Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th January 2016, 13:40   #1771
BHPian

Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The Olympus 8mm F/1.8 is too expensive for something that is not a primary lens. So I have zeroed in on Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm F/3.5 which has terrific reviews.
It costs 30K in India and 17K in USA, so as usual I have to get it from US.
I highly recommend the Rokinon lens. It is razor sharp and very well built. Recently the image I posted of te Horse Shoe Bend was shot by this lens. But, do remember Fisheye does not work well in composition most of the time and is not a replacement for a true wide angle.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 16:14   #1772
BHPian

Quote:
The Olympus 8mm F/1.8 is too expensive for something that is not a primary lens. So I have zeroed in on Rokinon/Samyang 7.5mm F/3.5 which has terrific reviews. It will be my first manual lens in m4/3 family, but in this focal length MF is not a problem at all.
What about the Rokinon / Samyang 10mm f/2.8 with manual focus? It was $319 on Amazon last week (bumped up to 399 today) and from the reviews Ive read its a good little lens. In fact I came to this thread today to ask if anyone has hands on experience with this lens. I am planning on getting a colleague to pick it up from the US soon.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 17:17   #1773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
What about the Rokinon / Samyang 10mm f/2.8 with manual focus? It was $319 on Amazon last week (bumped up to 399 today) and from the reviews Ive read its a good little lens.
The trouble is.... it is not a little lens. It is three times heavier than than the 7.5mm lens. It was originally designed for APS-C mount of Canon/Nikon, and then they slapped in every mount available. So it is an APS-C size lens with a MFT mount. The 7.5mm is designed for MFT, so it is waaaay compact.

It is a good lens no doubt, but I will have difficulty storing it in my compact camera bag. It is much bigger than my primary 12-40mm lens.

Lenses like these defeat the very purpose I switched to mirrorless.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 23:38   #1774
BHPian

Completely agree. Attached are some of the comparable lenses. Panasonic 12-32 which is a very small lens, compared to similar spec-ed lens on Nikon D200 and then the Rokinon.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-1454090743575.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-1454090867003.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-1454090879036.jpg  

acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2016, 11:59   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
The trouble is.... it is not a little lens. It is three times heavier than than the 7.5mm lens. It was originally designed for APS-C mount of Canon/Nikon, and then they slapped in every mount available. So it is an APS-C size lens with a MFT mount. The 7.5mm is designed for MFT, so it is waaaay compact.

It is a good lens no doubt, but I will have difficulty storing it in my compact camera bag. It is much bigger than my primary 12-40mm lens.

Lenses like these defeat the very purpose I switched to mirrorless.
The size & weight was the only thing that had me sitting on the fence for a while. But I was looking at a affordable, wide angle, non fisheye lens (I know I want it all ) and this was the one lens that I found VFM with the tradeoff being the lack of compactness.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 01:08   #1776
BHPian

I came across this interesting read about Olmypus getting ready for a FF mirrorless:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/olym...in-solo-style/

Would be interesting to know what they are up to!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 20:19   #1777
BHPian

Some EM-5 II images from my Singapore trip. Loved its IQ and size for travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-25933598023_e2ba393cf7_b.jpg  

Attached Images

SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 01:01   #1778
Senior - BHPian

My EM5 broke down whilst in Singapore last year. There are worse places to have a problem with your camera. I had already bought the 12-40 Pro the day before. Got myself the EM5II as a replacement for my EM5. Love the mark2!

I also bought a Pen F a few months ago. And the 40-150 Pro. Won't need anything else for many years to come!
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 14:15   #1779
BHPian

Question Re: Blot on pictures from nex-5n landscape mode?

There is a consistent blot on the landscape snaps shot from my nex-5n. It does NOT happen on portrait modes. I am lost for what it might be. Is there anyway i can fix this on my own?

Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc04459_blemish.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dsc04356_blemish.jpg  

JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 14:54   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Its just sensor dust based on the pictures. Look at the sensor. You should have the dust. Shoot wide open and they may not show up.Just need eclipse and some swabs to clean the sensor. If you visit chennai i can do that for you. Or order the eclipse solution and sensor swap and clean it yourself. Its as good as cleaning your own eye lid. Show similar care and you should be fine

Else take it to the service center and they can do it for you. It does appear only as a sensor dust to me unless there is some other sensor issue.

Last edited by VW2010 : 25th April 2016 at 14:56.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 16:35   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Guys any advise on how SonyA6100 is? Was thinkibg of a nikon dslr but since mirrorless seems to be the future, should I Buy the a6100?
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 16:46   #1782
Senior - BHPian

@wanderernomad

Is there a Sony A6100? Or do you mean A6300. DSLR will be there for more time. Mirrorless will eat into the P&S and probably landscape market or even the studio portraits. There are so many things to consider before declaring one is the future and other is not.

But Sony A6000 or A6300 are terrific cameras. They offer stunning image quality, super fast AF(but still not as fast as the Olym) and takes any lenses of any mount with right adapter.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:12   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@wanderernomad

Is there a Sony A6100? Or do you mean A6300. DSLR will be there for more time. Mirrorless will eat into the P&S and probably landscape market or even the studio portraits. There are so many things to consider before declaring one is the future and other is not.

But Sony A6000 or A6300 are terrific cameras. They offer stunning image quality, super fast AF(but still not as fast as the Olym) and takes any lenses of any mount with right adapter.
Yeah I was shown a sonyA6100. In what ways would a DSLR score over a mirrorless? Or what factors should I keep in mind before choosing either of them. Thanks.
wanderernomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 12:18   #1784
Senior - BHPian

There are too many threads online. But in short,each has its own merits and demerits. I moved from DSLR to Mirrorless just to get access to 42 MP files. Size wise for me nothing has changed simply because of the lenses i use.

Go mirrorless only if you can get a system which also makes lenses that are light and small. For example the sony mirrorless system E mount lenses are heavy and as big as any DSLR lens is. The new 85mm or the 24-70 are as heavy as the canon or nikon version.

At that point it becomes important to evaluate what you want to carry in your bags for what you want to shoot. I carry my RX100 IV everyday. A7RII when i can carry loads and want to use different lens. For super slowmo its always RX100 IV . Pocket size.

For me between mirrorless and dslr the differentiating factor has to be size. Quality wise both will generate enough unless you are super pro making huge money where not only timing is critical, speed, ease and overall lens availability also makes sense.

The oly series are by far the size to quality best bet while i would also give the fuji series a top recommendation for size and ease of use + terrific jpegs. Sony to me comes third because of size and weight of its lens collections.
Old 26th April 2016, 17:01   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There are too many threads online. But in short,each has its own merits and demerits. I moved from DSLR to Mirrorless just to get access to 42 MP files. Size wise for me nothing has changed simply because of the lenses i use.

Go mirrorless only if you can get a system which also makes lenses that are light and small. For example the sony mirrorless system E mount lenses are heavy and as big as any DSLR lens is. The new 85mm or the 24-70 are as heavy as the canon or nikon version.

At that point it becomes important to evaluate what you want to carry in your bags for what you want to shoot. I carry my RX100 IV everyday. A7RII when i can carry loads and want to use different lens. For super slowmo its always RX100 IV . Pocket size.

For me between mirrorless and dslr the differentiating factor has to be size. Quality wise both will generate enough unless you are super pro making huge money where not only timing is critical, speed, ease and overall lens availability also makes sense.

The oly series are by far the size to quality best bet while i would also give the fuji series a top recommendation for size and ease of use + terrific jpegs. Sony to me comes third because of size and weight of its lens collections.
Mirrorless is not good enough for wildlife and sports for a serious shooters (not necessarily a pro i.e. one who makes money from photography). For other genres, it makes sense.

I would take a D500 (or D7200) any day over any recent crop sensor mirrorless camera for wildlife. If I shot Canon, I would take a 7D Mk2.

If I talk about full frame, the lens and ergonomics mismatches are even more pronounced if one wants a certain reach without compromising image quality.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote