Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 10:46   #526
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I've heard some good reviews about the Sigma 30mm f 2.8 prime lens for the NEX range of cameras. I'm actually considering buying one for myself.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...k-of-the-year/

This lens costs only 200$ and comes with a lens pouch. There is also a micro four thirds version of this lens.

@vivekiny2k: Congratulations on your NEX 5R.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 13:58   #527
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Looks like a nice lens, but cant seem to ind it anywhere in India, just like the 50mm 1.8 Sony lens. I spoke to a Sony dealer and he quoted me 50k for the 50mm 1.8, which costs 300 USD...
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:02   #528
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Here are a couple of shots taken from my NEX 6 with the 16 - 50mm kit lens. I feel that the sharpness seems to be lacking. Is it due to my photography skills or the lens? I will take the blame one me now until you guys let me know how you interpret these images.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-tiger_duisburg.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-lion_duisburg.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-dolphin_duisburg.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-stag_duisburg.jpg  

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-flamingo_duisburg.jpg  

joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 23:32   #529
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 13,963 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I feel that the sharpness seems to be lacking. Is it due to my photography skills or the lens? I will take the blame one me now until you guys let me know how you interpret these images.
Well, without the exif, it is hard to tell. If you post something without removing the exif, we can make better judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Looks like a nice lens, but cant seem to ind it anywhere in India, just like the 50mm 1.8 Sony lens. I spoke to a Sony dealer and he quoted me 50k for the 50mm 1.8, which costs 300 USD...
Are you sure? It is listed for 7200 bucks here: http://camshot.in/Mirrorless-System-Lenses-Sony.html
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 00:21   #530
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 564
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Thanks for the link. Is that site trustworthy?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 00:32   #531
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 13,963 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Thanks for the link. Is that site trustworthy?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2955987
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 08:06   #532
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you sure? It is listed for 7200 bucks here: http://camshot.in/Mirrorless-System-Lenses-Sony.html
Prices seem a bit fishy there. For example the SEL 18-200 is listed for Rs. 16500 with MRP as Rs. 18250 but on Sony India site the MRP for this lens is 49k. Surely there cant be this much of a difference (esp when Sony so fanatically control selling price of all their products). A 18-200 lens for 16.5k!!!


I shot a few movies with my OM-D. So I have the movie files in MOV format. How do i convert them to mp4/mkv now? Does Olympus give any conversion software? With their viewer application I was not able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Last edited by joslicx : 10th November 2012 at 08:11.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 08:54   #533
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 13,963 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Prices seem a bit fishy there. For example the SEL 18-200 is listed for Rs. 16500 with MRP as Rs. 18250 but on Sony India site the MRP for this lens is 49k. Surely there cant be this much of a difference (esp when Sony so fanatically control selling price of all their products). A 18-200 lens for 16.5k!!!
Better email them and check. It does seem fishy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I shot a few movies with my OM-D. So I have the movie files in MOV format. How do i convert them to mp4/mkv now? Does Olympus give any conversion software? With their viewer application I was not able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Try handbrake. I converted all my mkv to mp4 using it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 09:56   #534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, without the exif, it is hard to tell. If you post something without removing the exif, we can make better judgment.
Here are the relevant settings for the shots above:

(1) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 100
(2) Shutter: 1/100, F 5.6, ISO 100
(3) Shutter: 1/60, F 3.5, ISO 400
(4) Shutter: 1/50, F 5.6, ISO 200
(5) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 200
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 14:19   #535
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Here are the relevant settings for the shots above:

(1) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 100
(2) Shutter: 1/100, F 5.6, ISO 100
(3) Shutter: 1/60, F 3.5, ISO 400
(4) Shutter: 1/50, F 5.6, ISO 200
(5) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 200
my guess is this speed at tele end will have some shake. try similar shots on tripod with remote relase and see if it helps. or boost iso and you will trade shake for noise.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 14:27   #536
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
my guess is this speed at tele end will have some shake. try similar shots on tripod with remote relase and see if it helps. or boost iso and you will trade shake for noise.
Shake is evitable but noise is not. I'm not convinced with the high ISO performance of the NEX 6. Noise is visible manifold times when I pump the ISO beyond 3200. Effectively speaking any pictures on the NEX 6 with ISO more than 3200 is useless.

But then do you really see some shake in those pictures above? I was wondering that the pictures aren't sharp enough. All those pictures excepting the Dolphins and Flamingos were shot wide angle. The Tiger and Lion exhibits are so close. The Tiger was sitting just 6 to 8 meters away from where I shot and the lion was about 8 to 10 meters away from my shooting position. I was really scared when I approached the tiger exhibit especially. Was so scared that I took just one picture and moved off quickly. If it were a Bengal tiger, the exhibit is not safe enough.

Last edited by joe1980 : 10th November 2012 at 14:34.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 14:56   #537
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
But then do you really see some shake in those pictures above? I was wondering that the pictures aren't sharp enough. All those pictures excepting the Dolphins and Flamingos were shot wide angle. The Tiger and Lion exhibits are so close.
if it was at wide end, why did you have such narrow aperture? if you are concerned specifically about your sharpness, you need controlled environment to test it. also, what focus mode? which is why samurai asked for complete exif.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 15:16   #538
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
if it was at wide end, why did you have such narrow aperture? if you are concerned specifically about your sharpness, you need controlled environment to test it. also, what focus mode? which is why samurai asked for complete exif.
I will have to check my Camera's manual about how I could get the complete exif data. Clicking exif on the image preview on my Mac OS, gave me those 3 settings and additional data about image size and so on. Let me see if I could get additional information. But anyways, thanks for your ideas and questions.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 16:23   #539
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,382
Thanked: 19,130 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I will have to check my Camera's manual about how I could get the complete exif data. Clicking exif on the image preview on my Mac OS, gave me those 3 settings and additional data about image size and so on. Let me see if I could get additional information. But anyways, thanks for your ideas and questions.
Joe EXIF information is usually available in any jpeg file provided you don't resize or save it in some other format. You should be able to get EXIF by checking the properties.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 16:57   #540
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 13,963 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Here are the relevant settings for the shots above:

(1) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 100
(2) Shutter: 1/100, F 5.6, ISO 100
(3) Shutter: 1/60, F 3.5, ISO 400
(4) Shutter: 1/50, F 5.6, ISO 200
(5) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 200
This is no good, we need the exif in the jpeg itself. Or post the screen shot of the full exif from the original file.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Evil Twins - JBL Swifts - Pics raftaar In-Car Entertainment 4 4th December 2007 21:33
The Evil Twins -JBL Swifts -No more Requests Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 96 3rd December 2007 19:28
Girls are evil. X-Machine Shifting gears 5 1st October 2004 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks