Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2013, 18:02   #691
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Nex-6 for 50k might mean curtains for their flagship Nex-7. Is there still any reason to go for the big brother that retails for 80k? Nex-6 has even more capabilities (wifi, downloadable memories etc). If only it had a touchscreen (as good as the Galaxy camera), it would have been a game changer for Sony.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 20:33   #692
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Nex-6 for 50k might mean curtains for their flagship Nex-7. Is there still any reason to go for the big brother that retails for 80k? Nex-6 has even more capabilities (wifi, downloadable memories etc). If only it had a touchscreen (as good as the Galaxy camera), it would have been a game changer for Sony.
Other than the mega pixels, I do not see any other reason to buy the NEX 7 and especially with the NEX 6 around. I think the NEX 7 was sort of a test model. Sony thought that the tri-navi was a welcoming feature, but it was more of a burden than a feature. Sony came up with the NEX 6 and a PASM mode dial. I find it to my liking. Seems like Sony would be strengthening it's NEX offerings. I follow the sonyalpharumors.com and from what I read is that end of this year a FF NEX model will be announced. Wondering to see what DNA it will have. Even Fuji would bring in a FF mirrorless. Sony and Fuji would give a tough competition to the only compact FF mirrorless camera that exists in the world today, the Leica M.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2013, 20:52   #693
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 82 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Guys Sony has just slashed the price of the NEX3 to MRP 14990 and NEX5 to MRP 19990 and their street prices should be even cheaper,thats a quite a steal it has APS-C sensor and NEX-5 gets a magnesium alloy body.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 00:27   #694
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Just came across this interesting rumor form Kodak.

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/back...thin-the-year/

Wondering if this JV will bring back the golden days of the Kodak film quality like digital cameras.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:15   #695
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

The picture qualities of Sony NEX 3 and 5 is comparable to micro 4/3 Panasonic and Olympus.

The m4/3 have more lenses. And they are more compact too. And faster auto focus. Why would you buy a Sony then?

Only because of Less price.
M4/3 may have or had more lenses but sony has launched new lenses as well.With the addition you can also put Sony A-mount lenses at the cost of size.
Secondly M4/3 presence in india is worse then that of Sony NEX and i doubt you will get a m4/3 camera for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
1.79L for a 35mm fixed lens? I want to know what stuff they were smoking. And I want to know whether they will supply that stuff for life to people who buy that camera at that price.
Well its a bargain compared to a Leica M9 or new M,this has a zeiss lens and is a engineering challenge to try and make it work in a small body.

Last edited by aim120 : 15th January 2013 at 11:19.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:38   #696
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
M4/3 may have or had more lenses but sony has launched new lenses as well.With the addition you can also put Sony A-mount lenses at the cost of size.
I feel you are not familiar with the m4/3 lens line. There are 37 lens in M4/3 line up, and only 11 lens in NEX lineup. Just like A mount, even m4/3 can draw on 4/3 lineup, which is again lot bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Secondly M4/3 presence in india is worse then that of Sony NEX and i doubt you will get a m4/3 camera for that price.
What does that mean? I have been buying my m4/3 bodies and lenses in India. Generally, m4/3 is cheaper than similarly equipped NEX.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Well its a bargain compared to a Leica M9 or new M,this has a zeiss lens and is a engineering challenge to try and make it work in a small body.
Leica has the snob value. Where is the snob value in Sony camera?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:40   #697
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,613
Thanked: 949 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Guys Sony has just slashed the price of the NEX3 to MRP 14990 and NEX5 to MRP 19990 and their street prices should be even cheaper,thats a quite a steal it has APS-C sensor and NEX-5 gets a magnesium alloy body.
Where are these available?


THREAD: Why are m4/3 lenses more expensive than corresponding Canon/Nikon ones? Because of low volume?
AS far as I know m4/3 means less size, less glass - thus should be cheaper.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 11:51   #698
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Guys Sony has just slashed the price of the NEX3 to MRP 14990 and NEX5 to MRP 19990 and their street prices should be even cheaper,thats a quite a steal it has APS-C sensor and NEX-5 gets a magnesium alloy body.
I can't believe they are still selling something that released in mid 2010. No wonder they can drop the price that low. Even E-PL1 would sell that low, if they were still making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
THREAD: Why are m4/3 lenses more expensive than corresponding Canon/Nikon ones? Because of low volume?
AS far as I know m4/3 means less size, less glass - thus should be cheaper.
I think the engineering cost may be higher. Or may be they are passing on the R&D cost to initial customers.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:06   #699
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
THREAD: Why are m4/3 lenses more expensive than corresponding Canon/Nikon ones? Because of low volume?
AS far as I know m4/3 means less size, less glass - thus should be cheaper.
Most of them are optically superior (than your average run of mill Canon/Nikon lenses) + materials used in construction are also better (metal mounts, metal frames etc for Panasonic at least). Sony & Panasonic lenses are also made in Japan (high cost location) while Olympus makes them in Thailand if I remember correctly. Canikon are chinese I think. Panasonic also has OSS in their lenses (as does Sony I think). Panasonic is collaborating with Leica and Sony with Zeiss so maybe they pay these companies royalties for lens knowledge. And the Leica/Zeiss branded leses are really really good.

Volumes also might be playing part in pricing. Now that m4/3 is picking up, maybe in future lens prices will drop. Quality Canikon lenses are also not cheap (I'd say they are exorbitantly priced). Most good lenses are USD 1000+. There are only 1 or 2 great primes from Canikon that are cheap enough (and maybe that is because they are produced in volumes).
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:09   #700
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I feel you are not familiar with the m4/3 lens line. There are 37 lens in M4/3 line up, and only 11 lens in NEX lineup. Just like A mount, even m4/3 can draw on 4/3 lineup, which is again lot bigger.
But are those m4/3 and 4/3 lenses readily or even available in india. A- mount has cheap used lenses from Minolta dating back to 1985 and also has currently 34 Sony A-mount lenses besides even Tamron and Sigma make lenses for A-mount and E-mount
Sony has launched their entire range of A-mount lenses in India baring the 500mm lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What does that mean? I have been buying my m4/3 bodies and lenses in India. Generally, m4/3 is cheaper than similarly equipped NEX.
I can buy a pentax camera and lenses too but they again are not available readily and are not on display.I rarely see m4/3 cameras displayed even in camera showrooms,i can buy a NEX in croma,reliance and E-Zone and not to mention Sony world stores and Alpha Flagship stores.
M4/3 cameras are not cheaper then NEX except for the End Of Line models like EPL-1 ,even the current models sold in india like EPL3 have a outdated sensor and is priced the same as the latest NEX5R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Leica has the snob value. Where is the snob value in Sony camera?
It will carve its own segment,its currently the only compact camera in its price range that has a Full Frame sensor with equally good optics ,it will be the poor mans leica or secondary compact cam for Pro user and Sony can at its will drop the price as per market.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:16   #701
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,850
Thanked: 15,406 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Secondly M4/3 presence in india is worse then that of Sony NEX and i doubt you will get a m4/3 camera for that price.
Every try to buy a NEX lens, esp the high end ones in India? Most sellers will try to get you to buy the adapter+ an A mount lens. Sony NEX hardly has any presence in India. a very popular nex, the 5N is not available. Only the older NEX 5 is available. Sony is not pushing the NEX line much in India
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:30   #702
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
But are those m4/3 and 4/3 lenses readily or even available in india.
Of course, even repair facility is available in every metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
A- mount has cheap used lenses from Minolta dating back to 1985 and also has currently 34 Sony A-mount lenses besides even Tamron and Sigma make lenses for A-mount and E-mount
Sony has launched their entire range of A-mount lenses in India baring the 500mm lens.
If you want to go that way, even m4/3 can make use of OM series lenses way back from 1972.

In fact, all your Sony Alpha lenses can be mounted on m4/3 too. http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/p...id_product=359

And vice versa. http://paulorenato.com/joomla/index....raphy&Itemid=4


So let's stick to native lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I can buy a pentax camera and lenses too but they again are not available readily and are not on display.
Bad comparison. Pentax has no official presence in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I rarely see m4/3 cameras displayed even in camera showrooms,i can buy a NEX in croma,reliance and E-Zone and not to mention Sony world stores and Alpha Flagship stores.
Well, NEX does have better shelf presence thanks to Sony clout in India. That doesn't make the NEX family superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
M4/3 cameras are not cheaper then NEX except for the End Of Line models like EPL-1 ,even the current models sold in india like EPL3 have a outdated sensor and is priced the same as the latest NEX5R.
Why are you comparing EPL3 with NEX5R? Shouldn't you compare NEX5R with EPL5? Generally, m4/3 provide more bang for buck.


Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
It will carve its own segment,its currently the only compact camera in its price range that has a Full Frame sensor with equally good optics ,it will be the poor mans leica or secondary compact cam for Pro user and Sony can at its will drop the price as per market.
It will be a very very narrow niche.

Last edited by Samurai : 15th January 2013 at 12:32.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 12:49   #703
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
But are those m4/3 and 4/3 lenses readily or even available in india. A- mount has cheap used lenses from Minolta dating back to 1985 and also has currently 34 Sony A-mount lenses besides even Tamron and Sigma make lenses for A-mount and E-mount
Sony has launched their entire range of A-mount lenses in India baring the 500mm lens.
.
If you are going to use an adaptor and A-mount lenses, that kind of negates the whole purpose of going for a compact mirrorless system. As I understand for the same price one can always pick a DSLR and use all the available lenses on that. What is the point of going for a Nex-5 then? You can buy the D5100 and it will be cheaper (than a Nex-5+adaptor) and has same sensor as D7000.

Though I would agree that if terms of max bang for buck Sony Nex is ahead of m4/3 system. To me Nex-5N is the best value buy in mirrorless space and the recently launched Nex-6 the best serious camera. Unfortunately Sony's commitment to India is really pathetic (only cameras are there but no lenses are available) and their service is very sub-standard. Their bad service reputation is the only reason I went for OM-D and not Nex-7 that I had liked much more!

Last edited by joslicx : 15th January 2013 at 12:52.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 13:40   #704
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 163
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Of course, even repair facility is available in every metro.

If you want to go that way, even m4/3 can make use of OM series lenses way back from 1972.

In fact, all your Sony Alpha lenses can be mounted on m4/3 too. http://www.rainbowimaging.biz/shop/p...id_product=359

And vice versa. http://paulorenato.com/joomla/index....raphy&Itemid=4
Having repair facility is one thing and having the bodies and lenses available is a whole different thing.

With the A-mount lenses you can even get continuous PDAF to work thanks to the LA-EA2 adapter and the lens AF works with the same speed as when mounted in a Sony SLT.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Why are you comparing EPL3 with NEX5R? Shouldn't you compare NEX5R with EPL5? Generally, m4/3 provide more bang for buck.

It will be a very very narrow niche.
The EPL3 itself is priced the same as NEX5R and the EPL5 will be similarly priced or can be more expensive thanks to our weakening currency.The EPL5 which has the Sony sensor is definitely much improved then the Panasonic sensor,but its no bang for buck when you compare it to the NEX5R.

Anyway the OM-D is a different beast,if i could afford it i would definitely go for it.It by far as the BEST EVF(i haven't seen any OLED ones of the Sony yet) its definitely better compared to the panasonic EVFs and Sony EVfs present in the A33/A55.

Last edited by aim120 : 15th January 2013 at 13:46.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 14:00   #705
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,042
Thanked: 13,487 Times
Default Re: Canon G15 or S110 or anyother

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Having repair facility is one thing and having the bodies and lenses available is a whole different thing.
Do you actually have NEX ownership experience? I have 7 years of ownership in 4/3 and 2 years of ownership in m4/3, all in India. Two bodies in each family and 5 + 4 lens in total.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Evil Twins - JBL Swifts - Pics raftaar In-Car Entertainment 4 4th December 2007 21:33
The Evil Twins -JBL Swifts -No more Requests Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 96 3rd December 2007 19:28
Girls are evil. X-Machine Shifting gears 5 1st October 2004 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks