Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th May 2013, 22:55   #1006
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

I understand the advantage of working distance that you get with longer FL. Does it necessarily get closer image, I am not convinced about that. His test gives closer image with 200mm than 50mm, but closest with 55mm. That means closer working distance can give better magnification. His test is not really conclusive.

Coming to macros, magnification is the most important aspect of the lens. The below image is having better magnification at 55mm than 200mm, since 55mm was held lot closer to the object.

Name:  Fullscreen capture 5112013 104136 PM.bmp.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  98.7 KB

Last edited by Samurai : 11th May 2013 at 23:01.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 15:10   #1007
Senior - BHPian

I have been following this thread for a while now, and am all set to upgrade from my 2+ year old 1000D to an OM-D.

More than any features, what attracted me to this cam was the size and the retro looks

Im basically looking to take automotive pix, and some portraits. Is this a right choice? or it it a model which may be replaced soon? Street prices are varying between 60-65.

There are a couple of deals, unused, but not new, significantly cheaper, but without warranty. Is warranty a deal breaker in this case?

Also, silver(which i want) seems to be out of stock everywhere and only black is available wherever i looked.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 23:06   #1008
BHPian

Friends,

I have a question on the lens adapter and its adaptivity to the cameras. Let us say that I buy an adapter for my NEX 6 to adapt a Voigtländer Leica M mount lens which basically works on a FF Leica M. My NEX 6 is an APS-C sensor and I guess this should work without any issues.

Next year Sony would come up with a FF NEX before the Photokina (presumably an SR4 rumor, source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-d...ect-confirmed/). When they say E-Mount FF, I guess the mount as such should not change in dimensions or will the E-Mount APS-C differ from an E-Mount FF?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 23:18   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Friends,

I have a question on the lens adapter and its adaptivity to the cameras. Let us say that I buy an adapter for my NEX 6 to adapt a Voigtländer Leica M mount lens which basically works on a FF Leica M. My NEX 6 is an APS-C sensor and I guess this should work without any issues.

Next year Sony would come up with a FF NEX before the Photokina (presumably an SR4 rumor, source: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-d...ect-confirmed/). When they say E-Mount FF, I guess the mount as such should not change in dimensions or will the E-Mount APS-C differ from an E-Mount FF?
Considering the fact that current E mount lenses are specifically made for APS-C sensor, Sony has no reason to maintain same mount in FF. They will have to release new lenses for FF anyway. But then after-market adapters should also appear at the same time, they don't cost much.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:15   #1010
BHPian

I doubt the mount will change for FF E-mount but you can never know with Sony, there may be however new lens for FF . I wish they launch a camera that can take both A and E mount.

Last edited by aim120 : 16th May 2013 at 00:16.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 00:22   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
I doubt the mount will change for FF E-mount but you can never know with Sony, there may be however new lens for FF . I wish they launch a camera that can take both A and E mount.
If you follow my post above, I have posted a link to the sonyalpharumos.com and it seems like the hybrid camera (A and E mount) is on the make.
Old 16th May 2013, 13:42   #1012
BHPian

It will be a technical challenge for the Sony engineers but if they can pull it of ,it will be something.But i hope the AF is just as fast as the current SLT.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 00:56   #1013
BHPian

Would a full frame lens fit on an APS-C sized body? What would one loose in terms of IQ when using a FF lens on a crop sensor? I guess if I go the other way around, I have something to loose in terms of IQ. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 27th May 2013, 19:47   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Default Olympus A Dying Brand?

Well, I was hoping not to read something like this but here it is anyways. Olympus is expected to go under in 2014. Among other brands/marques relevant to us car lovers Mitsubishi and Volvo are among them.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ten-br...98.html?page=2

This kind news can transform your Oly kit resale value to junk.

Not good news at all. Now wonder what Panasonic, another company awash in red, is going to do.

This is a forecast I truly hope does not come true. Olympus deserves to live.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 20:09   #1015
Team-BHP Support

That report seems a bit inaccurate considering the following line...

Quote:
the company plans to focus on increasing sales of SLR cameras, which accounted for just 35% of its imaging business
They must mean mirrorless.

Anyway, I was in Japan the entire last week. I read in the local newspaper that Olympus is going to focus entirely on mirrorless in future.

Here, I found the link: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.UaNv5aJm38k
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2013, 20:23   #1016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They must mean mirrorless. Anyway, I was in Japan the entire last week. I read in the local newspaper that Olympus is going to focus entirely on mirrorless in future.
Yes I think they mean MLC.

They must get out of the overcrowded and frankly irrelevant (due to camera phones) compact camera/PnS market. This doesn't just apply to Oly but most other camera manufacturers as well.

If Samsung with its deep pockets can do to cameras what it did to mobile/smartphones these companies are in trouble.

Whether Oly's upcoming focus on MLCs is sufficient to survive only time will tell. They make good m43 cameras and lenses. Here's hoping they do.

PS - Another thought. Methinks a formerly terribly mismanaged Oly may sell off its loss making camera business to another company, likely candidate Sony, and move towards being a profitable business entity. That too does not augur well for Oly owners. Sony may kill the brand though not the m43 format.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th May 2013 at 20:31.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:25   #1017
BHPian

I guess if Olympus could bring in more products like the OM-D, they would continue to exist. If not making massive profits, they would not make loss.

Looking at the lens lineup for NEX system cameras, so far I did not find a single prime lens in the tele range. Looking at the offerings from the Canikon stable, a question popped up in my mind. Does a tele prime always have to look big? Is that the reason (size) why there are no prime tele lenses for NEX?
Old 28th May 2013, 12:31   #1018
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Olympus A Dying Brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Well, I was hoping not to read something like this but here it is anyways. Olympus is expected to go under in 2014. Among other brands/marques relevant to us car lovers Mitsubishi and Volvo are among them.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ten-br...98.html?page=2

This kind news can transform your Oly kit resale value to junk.

Not good news at all. Now wonder what Panasonic, another company awash in red, is going to do.

This is a forecast I truly hope does not come true. Olympus deserves to live.
You know I've been reading the same stuff about Olympus, Fuji and Pentax since 2009. "Next year they will be gone".
Somehow, every next year, they manage to survive only to be predicted as "gone next year" again ad infinitum ...
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2013, 18:06   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I guess if Olympus could bring in more products like the OM-D, they would continue to exist. If not making massive profits, they would not make loss.

Looking at the lens lineup for NEX system cameras, so far I did not find a single prime lens in the tele range. Looking at the offerings from the Canikon stable, a question popped up in my mind. Does a tele prime always have to look big? Is that the reason (size) why there are no prime tele lenses for NEX?
I agree, a set of good cameras like the EM5 could set Oly's imaging division on the path to profitability.

As for size of the lens - a prime tele will be heavier than 'normal' lenses be they be zoom or shorter FL primes. You have to consider the sie of the camera it is attached to. But if Oly can do it so can Sony..with a little help from the former of course.

But Sony drags its feet in introducing new lenses for the NEX system. If you ask me that's been the biggest drawback of NEX so far. But there's hope..this news came out today:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...-units-to-sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You know I've been reading the same stuff about Olympus, Fuji and Pentax since 2009. "Next year they will be gone".
Somehow, every next year, they manage to survive only to be predicted as "gone next year" again ad infinitum ...
It is important to remember that this 'forecast' is only for its camera division which is loss making. Sony pumped in money into Olympus ostensibly to share their imaging technology and introduce products;

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...s-after-tie-up

Hope they survive is all I can say. Given Oly's rich history and scores of patents in imaging/lens making, Sony could certainly use their expertise.

As for Fuji, they have been a better managed company unlike Olympus which had a rogue management that fell prey to greed.

Unlike Kodak, Fuji survived the transition to digital. It still makes superb films, probably the only large film manufacturer in the world now. And their X mount system cameras and lenses have won quite a fan following. AFAIK they are a profit making entity so not really as much at risk as Olympus.

Pentax ceased to exist as an independent entity in 2006 merging first with Hoya which sold the imaging division to Ricoh. Small/medium sized camera manufacturers are being taken over - a trend that may continue with Sony gobbling up Olympus.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th May 2013 at 18:08.
Old 28th May 2013, 18:26   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Just came across an interesting story on Sony. I had no idea, but they make all of their money selling insurances and from interest in the movie industry.

The article suggest that they should leave the electronics and gadget market all together.

Live and learn, I'm very happy with my Olympus OMD E5 no matter what Olympus does.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/news/sony...profits-372239

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote