Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:10   #1036
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 13,976 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I do not want to convert the 60mm equivalent or whatsoever and convince myself that this would give a 120mm effective on a FF. I'm not shooting on a FF, so that does not apply to me.
I have no idea what you are saying here. But if you prefer your macros lens between 85-105mm, then that's that.

You are worried about working distance. But getting the right macro lens is only 10% of it. Shooting a good macro is the remaining 90%. That part is so difficult, I don't even try it anymore.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1341879 (The Official non-auto Image thread)
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:23   #1037
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have no idea what you are saying here. But if you prefer your macros lens between 85-105mm, then that's that.

You are worried about working distance. But getting the right macro lens is only 10% of it. Shooting a good macro is the remaining 90%. That part is so difficult, I don't even try it anymore.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1341879 (The Official non-auto Image thread)
I suppose every lens has a minimum focusing distance. With a 60mm, it might be 30cm (for example) and with a 105mm it might be a bit more and that is what I want, a bit more of a distance from which I can focus on my subject. When you apply the conversion factor of a 60mm MFT equivalent on a FF, is your focusing distance specified for the lens going to increase? It is just the focal length equivalent, but the focusing distance stays the same. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure which 60mm lens you are talking about, but the ones that I checked (the Sigma 90mm) had a much bigger distance to focus to get that macro effect.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:51   #1038
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Joe you are right in a way and Samurai you too .

Actually the equivelence in terms of FF business applies to angle of view ( AOV) but in terms of macro photography Angle of View is not that important as the magnification and working distance are.

Working distance is function of focal length ( not equivelent angle of view).


For now I would say you can experiment with manual prime leses reverse mounted on you fuji , A revsersed 28mm lens give more magnification and working distance then 90mm macro but is lot tedious to use as you can get only above 1:1 and not environmental shots of macro subjects.

In terms of sharpness and clarity reversed prime lenses rival best of macros.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:27   #1039
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

So here goes my first test shot with the Nikon 105mm macro lens, with a Novoflex adapter on a NEX 6. The lens mounted on the NEX makes the NEX feel so minute and I often times had the feeling that my native lens mount on the NEX would break off. Excuse me for the quality of the picture. Though I had that mounted on the tripod, I kept a hand on the lens so that my fear of the NEX ripping apart was reduced. But anyways, this is what I want to do, macro photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-my_first_macro_1_2013.jpg  

joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 18:37   #1040
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are worried about working distance. But getting the right macro lens is only 10% of it. Shooting a good macro is the remaining 90%. That part is so difficult, I don't even try it anymore.

See this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1341879 (The Official non-auto Image thread)
First of all sorry to chain my post. You are in a sense correct. Shooting a good macro seems to be a challenge and it is this challenge that makes me interested towards macro. I now have to get creative.

On a general note, now I own a DSLR (Nikon D3200) and a NEX 6. Looking at the usability and flexibility, I love working with my NEX 6 than the heavyweight DSLR. I'm convinced that there will be a lot of adoption to the mirror-less systems in the future by those DSLR users.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 00:06   #1041
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 313
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Came across this sale - Nikon 1J1 mirrorless system with 10-30mm kit lens - http://www.infibeam.com/Cameras/i-Ni...-1J1-DSLR.html

Use Coupon MONSOON5 & the final price will be Rs. 16150


Wondering if this is a good deal. Any suggestions?

Last edited by null : 6th June 2013 at 00:07. Reason: model
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 11:08   #1042
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Canon announced a new firmware for EOS M which boosts AF speed by 2.3X

Also new 11-22 F4-5.6 IS STM lens is announced It has 3 stop IS , the filter size of this lens is 55mm so IMHO this is going to be most compact UWA lens , don't know the pricing yet.

Seems like best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now , good that they idenfitied the gap left by other players and filled with this lens.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th June 2013 at 11:11.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 11:26   #1043
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 13,976 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

More compact than the M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens? No way. BTW, I sold this lens on Amazon.com recently for $620. I had bought it in Jan 2011 for $569 when dollar was around 42-44 rupees. Made an handsome profit even after Amazon commission.

M.Zuiko 9-18mm was given Silver award at Dpreivew lens review. I doubt the Canon lens will beat it.

Name:  P1190139.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  180.8 KB

Last edited by Samurai : 6th June 2013 at 11:28.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 11:27   #1044
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Sony might profit from its partnership with Olympus as there are rumors of the 5-axis IBIS from Oly coming in future Sony products

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/05/olym...mount-cameras/
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 11:47   #1045
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
M.Zuiko 9-18mm was given Silver award at Dpreivew lens review. I doubt the Canon lens will beat it.
Good for you .. If you have your way all products should cease to exisit except Olympus made ( a small concession to Panasonic for being micro 4/3) LOL.

BTW this is Mirrorless thread and not Olympus thread.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 12:05   #1046
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 13,976 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Not sure what you mean...

You said Canon 11-22 F4-5.6 is is going to be most compact UWA lens. That is clearly wrong. The Zuiko 9-18mm is smaller than that.

Next you say this seems like the best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now. Very subjective statement, it is yet to be proven in the field, unlike the M.Zuiko 9-18mm.

What is wrong is saying that a highly acclaimed lens like 9-18mm may not be easily beaten?

You had already made one factually wrong statement, why shouldn't I doubt your very next subjective statement?

Quote:
BTW this is Mirrorless thread and not Olympus thread.
This is a very curious statement. What made you feel I am treating this like a Olympus thread?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 13:01   #1047
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

BTW its confirmed that Olympus will be making lenses for the A mount and E mount and the first lens to come out will be a 400mm lens.

SAR SR4 says that olympus will jointly develop further the 5 Axis IS with Sony and it will debut in A-mount cameras.

What i don't understand is that how is all this going to help olympus in camera sales.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 17:31   #1048
BHPian
 
SPARKled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 926
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

M.Zuiko 9-18mm was given Silver award at Dpreivew lens review. I doubt the Canon lens will beat it.
I don't see what's all the fuss about the 9-18. It's a better than decent lens but really nothing great. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Panasonic 7-14 is better or equal in equivalent focal lengths in most of the reviews and comparisons that I have seen on the net and I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 19:39   #1049
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 13,976 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
but the Panasonic 7-14 is better or equal in equivalent focal lengths in most of the reviews and comparisons
I thought we were talking about the most compact UWA lens. Panasonic is twice as heavy compared to Zuiko, so I didn't consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
that I have seen on the net and I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
It is not their ability, but their attitude towards mirrorless segment. They are just not serious about it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 20:25   #1050
BHPian
 
HellwratH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 115
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Canon announced a new firmware for EOS M which boosts AF speed by 2.3X

Also new 11-22 F4-5.6 IS STM lens is announced It has 3 stop IS , the filter size of this lens is 55mm so IMHO this is going to be most compact UWA lens , don't know the pricing yet.

Seems like best mirrorless option for landscape and UWA now , good that they idenfitied the gap left by other players and filled with this lens.
Are the specs out yet? I couldn't find them. I am not sure if they'll be able to create a compact UWA lens for APS-C. 55mm filter doesn't say much.

Best system for landscape and UWA? Err, okay, if you say so. To me, it'll easily be the Nex or the Sigma DPXM series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I really don't know why you have doubts on Canon's ability to make a real good uwa to beat it.
Can't speak for Samurai, but IMO, with what Canon did with EOS-M, I do not expect much from this lens. Lol, even with that 2.3x AF improvement it'll be slower than Fuji cameras. It was the last company to come out with a mirrorless camera and still managed to not get so many things right. Anyway, let's see what this lens does.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Evil Twins - JBL Swifts - Pics raftaar In-Car Entertainment 4 4th December 2007 21:33
The Evil Twins -JBL Swifts -No more Requests Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 96 3rd December 2007 19:28
Girls are evil. X-Machine Shifting gears 5 1st October 2004 11:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks