Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th July 2013, 23:50   #1141
BHPian

Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

No, I have a SLT A57 camera which is big. I would have bought a NEX6 had it been launched at the time I was in the market for a camera or even a Olympus OMD-5 if it was cheaper.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 00:12   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
See, size turned out to be the only criteria.
I was going to say size does matter, glad you said it first

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Samurai:More because of fear of unknown.

Aim: Thanks. I will show it to her and see if I can influence. Do you have this model by any chance?

I have nex 5R and I love it. but if you want to look like a pro, a regulr DSLR would be better.

One important point you get with nex 5R is wifi capability, you can preview and capture from your android phone using wifi connection. See a complete review of nex5R to see what features it provides over D5100.

EDIT: personally I don't prefer 16-50 because in order to make it compact and pocketable, optical sacrifices have been made, which are corrected on the fly on LCD. But you can see them in raw, and I don't like the idea of stretching the corners "too much", which degrades the photo quality. I would rather live with the bulkier 18-55 lens.

http://camerahoarders.com/sony-e-pz-...review-update/

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 27th July 2013 at 00:35.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 07:30   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai:More because of fear of unknown.
What has size got to do with fear of unknown? It is the only known thing, it is plain enough to see. I sold most of my dSLR gear to switch to mirrorless, not a single regret so far.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 08:10   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
What has size got to do with fear of unknown? It is the only known thing, it is plain enough to see. I sold most of my dSLR gear to switch to mirrorless, not a single regret so far.
Not the size sir, I meant the technology, she is not seen or used it, thats what i meant by fear of unknown
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 13:20   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not the size sir, I meant the technology, she is not seen or used it, thats what i meant by fear of unknown
If this is for your wife then get her a mirrorless, women like cute i.e. small things. She wont appreciate a big DSLR. My wife hates my bulky Nikon DSLRs and grotesquely heavy lenses.

I got an Olympus OMD earlier this year for her and she loves it. A large majority of women amateur photographers and even some pros, prefer small easy to carry cameras with good to great IQ. And many mirrorless cameras tick those boxes such as the Olympus OM-D, Sony NEX6 & Fuji XE series.

Of course you may need to show her these small ML cameras at a store...and there's a good chance you'll get a smile of approval.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 18:09   #1146
BHPian

R2D2: It has worked opposite for me. She saw it and rejected it. I am now trying to convince her that it almost as same as DSLR. Her fear seems to its like P&S camera and too small which she think might not help with grip, might not be as good as DSLR, and does not believe that the technology is close to DSLR. Plus every photographer she sees has only DSLR and many she talks to have told these are all fancy gimmicks, you know how some people refuse to accept next technology

Thats the battle I am facing, have sent link to Flickr NEX owners albums, video reviews, etc. So now i am thinking maybe I should buy a used NEX or some other mirror less from ebay so she can see how these are and then upgrade to NEX5 or 6
Old 27th July 2013, 18:58   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
R2D2: It has worked opposite for me. She saw it and rejected it. I am now trying to convince her that it almost as same as DSLR. Her fear seems to its like P&S camera and too small which she think might not help with grip, might not be as good as DSLR, and does not believe that the technology is close to DSLR. Plus every photographer she sees has only DSLR and many she talks to have told these are all fancy gimmicks, you know how some people refuse to accept next technology
To most die hard DSLR users MLCs are not yet an this-or-that alternative to their gear. i partially agree with that contention but that IMO is only when shooting wildlife and BIF where DSLRs and their far faster focussing performance + telephoto lenses are yet to be matched, not to forget low light performance and DR of full frame cameras. For all others MLCs will do. Of course the ergonomics i.e. grip and button placement etc are far better in the larger cameras. My MLCs feel about as ergonomic as a bar of chocolate held to my face and the feel + placement of the buttons simply sucks because they are crammed together onto a small body, while my Nikons a pleasure to use inspite of the weight. All that said, MLCs are a great alternative as a light weight kit.

Quote:
Thats the battle I am facing, have sent link to Flickr NEX owners albums, video reviews, etc. So now i am thinking maybe I should buy a used NEX or some other mirror less from ebay so she can see how these are and then upgrade to NEX5 or 6
There are not too many of us, especially here on TBHP, who can distinguish which camera and/or lens combination was used to take a particular photo. I for one most certainly can't. If you wife can manage that, well, kudos to her.

But getting a used NEX to serve as a low(er) cost trial camera is a good idea. Also ask her to look at the OM-D in person, it is very SLR like in appearance and may assuage her apprehensions a little bit. Get the optional external grip for that camera and she would probably find it more acceptable.

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th July 2013 at 19:03.
Old 27th July 2013, 19:27   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Just get her the D5100 and be done. Otherwise, you'll get blamed for every bad click.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 19:56   #1149
Senior - BHPian

My wife is overwhelmed with the fuji E-X1. She says its a P&S and its better than my 1d . Few reasons include size, quality of pictures this cute little camera churns out and low light pictures doesnt requiring flashes anymore.

I have already reduced my canon gears and looking eagerly forward for more from Fuji.

Having said that the X series from fuji are as close as any pro dslr in terms of image quality but speed is the only area where these mirrorless lag. Speed includes AF, operational as well.

Between my 1d and fuji, i grab fuji almost 85% of the time. When i need tracking and faster AF i chose my 1D. Fuji cannot stand a chance at this point by the way

Last edited by VW2010 : 27th July 2013 at 19:57.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 20:39   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have already reduced my canon gears and looking eagerly forward for more from Fuji.

Having said that the X series from fuji are as close as any pro dslr in terms of image quality but speed is the only area where these mirrorless lag. Speed includes AF, operational as well.

Between my 1d and fuji, i grab fuji almost 85% of the time. When i need tracking and faster AF i chose my 1D. Fuji cannot stand a chance at this point by the way
My Fuji XE-1 is a real slug when it comes to AF. The Olympus OMD is far better and best part is the body has IBIS while Fuji's IS is lens dependent like Nikon and Canon.

But the Fuji lenses are beautifully made and perform very well to extremely well. The 'poor man's Leica' as I like call it. Fuji have definitely been aping the German camera maker with their IQ/build quality/lenses at a fraction of the cost.

Most of Olympus's m43 lenses may be plastic but they are no slouches either in performance.

Seriously, for anybody who really doesnt need what DSLRs offer MLCs are a no brainer today at a great price. Of course there are some drawbacks but they can be overlooked for the sheer price-performance ratio, VFM plus the take-me-anywhere size and weight.

Quote:
Just get her the D5100 and be done. Otherwise, you'll get blamed for every bad click.
LOL! How true!
Old 27th July 2013, 22:08   #1151
BHPian

Quote:

Every photographer has a DSLR because they are stuck with that old system.
I see no reason why photographers (other then Sports and BIF)not to use a mirrorless camera.
A DSLR with a OVF doesn't even show 100% of the image you are composing and it doesn't show the effect of settings like exposure,ISO,shutter in real time (unless one uses the rear lcd which uses the slower CDAF and lens not designed for CDAF),where as a mirrorless camera does how all effects in real t ime and it does so with silent fast AF.

The best camera is the one that is in your hand when it matters.I am sure a mirrorless camera(with a pancake lens) can be put in a womans Handbag.
Old 27th July 2013, 22:21   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Some thoughts on the future of m43 from Thom Hogan who uses this system along with his Nikon DX & FX cameras.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-nervous.html

And via a link in the blog/article above, i chanced upon yet another viewpoint from the reknowned Lloyd Chambers of digilloyd.com.

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013/201307...ts-on-MFT.html

The prognosis is not good from a commercial and financial perspective but then the Japs are a different cup of tea when it comes to making business decisions. I am not sure about the future.

PS - The articles were published 27/7 (today) and 23/7

Last edited by R2D2 : 27th July 2013 at 22:36. Reason: Change publication dates
Old 27th July 2013, 22:21   #1153
BHPian

I am working on it to convince her. Is US the best place to buy? India I see 5R selling for 35k lowest in snapdeal
Old 27th July 2013, 22:42   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
I am working on it to convince her. Is US the best place to buy? India I see 5R selling for 35k lowest in snapdeal
Well if it was 2012 ,I would have said its cheaper to buy in the US but in todays currency conversion its cheaper to buy in India.
Old 28th July 2013, 10:22   #1155
Senior - BHPian

@madbullram - MLC (and beginner level DSLR) camera resale prices sink like stones in a lake especially after a next-gen successor is announced. Thats why you see a flurry of Want-to-Sell posts on many forums by owners of such cameras.

The point I am trying to make is that you'll be able to get a used NEX5R at a very reasonable price. Better you try this route instead of a brand new unit so even if your wife hates it, you can either keep it as a backup camera or sell it off.

If your wife rejects a brand new NEX 5R or other MLC camera, that would pinch the wallet even more.

Otherwise, as Samurai suggested get her a Nikon or Canon crop sensor DSLR & be done with it. At least you wont get blamed for bad photos or mishaps attributable to poor grip. Domestic peace will be assured.