Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 18th October 2013, 15:25   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Now Fuji has announced XE2. Welcome change is the PDAF and that means now the slow focussing issue won't be there anymore. There are few more subtle changes and seems like Fuji is going in the right direction.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fu...-preview-23199
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 18:50   #1337
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Guys, I have an Oly EPL2 which came with a 14-42mm lens. Wanted to know where lenses are available in India - I dont see too many Indian online retailers stocking them. JJ Mehta's site had a few. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?
Did you check with Photo Circle at Anand Rao Circle?
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 02:18   #1338
BHPian

Hi All,

I am a P&S photographer wanting to upgrade to a DSLR or mirrorless. I decided to go for mirrorless system Olympus OM-d EM5. I observe the prices are cheaper in India compared to UK (where I live currently). Now, flipkart costs less than 65K for an OMD with 12-50 lens and free 8 GB micro SD. And in Croma website it costs 72K with same lens and no freebie.

My question is - is it safe to buy such things online and why you think there is so much price disparity.
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 11:12   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Did you check with Photo Circle at Anand Rao Circle?
Photo Circle prices are exorbitant. Camshot.in is better for any buying in India (price wise).
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 11:51   #1340
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Hi All,

I am a P&S photographer wanting to upgrade to a DSLR or mirrorless. I decided to go for mirrorless system Olympus OM-d EM5. I observe the prices are cheaper in India compared to UK (where I live currently). Now, flipkart costs less than 65K for an OMD with 12-50 lens and free 8 GB micro SD. And in Croma website it costs 72K with same lens and no freebie.

My question is - is it safe to buy such things online and why you think there is so much price disparity.
I do almost all my electronics shopping online because the bargains in online stores are excellent and unmatched by brick and mortar stores.
As long as you buy from a trusted seller, it is completely safe.
Most stores have a marketplace model - like ebay,amazon - so you have to check for seller's rating feedback before buying.
Cromaretail.com is not marketplace model and operated directly by croma stores and very safe/reliable-100% genuine products.
Flipkart also started marketplace model sometime back. So, check for WSRetail.
WSRetail is flipkart's own seller and very reliable with 100% genuine products. If you are getting a good deal with them, go for it.
mxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 12:19   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
WSRetail is flipkart's own seller and very reliable with 100% genuine products. If you are getting a good deal with them, go for it.
The deal is with WSRetail and is around 7K INR lesser than Chroma. The WSRetail seller feedback was 88% and I didnt know these were flipkart's official sellers. Thanks for that bit of info.

I have never bought things of this value online, hence the hesitation to put that money especially since I would be only 1 week in India next week and I wont have much time to hassle with them if anything goes wrong with the product, hence the hesitation
rrahul_2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:39   #1342
BHPian

My arsenal. Recently acquired 40-150mm for E-PL5

Name:  image3139452984.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  595.4 KB
Arunshek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:50   #1343
BANNED

Hi ,

I am migrating from P & S and looking at Olympus PEN E-PL5 16 MP Digital SLR Camera (Silver) (14-42 mm & 40-150 mm)
This is avaliable at croma retail only at 39,500 Rs . but i am unable to see it any where with in the store .

Can some one let me know if any better deal is avaliable .
http://www.cromaretail.com/Olympus-P...19411-133.aspx

Also what is difference between Olympus PEN E-PL5 and Olympus PEN lite E-PL5 ?

Thanking you in anticipation.
Kool_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:06   #1344
BHPian

You mean difference between EP5 and EPL5.

The EP5 has the superior 5 axis image stabilization,it also a 1million dot lcd and focus peaking.It also has a faster shutter speed of 1/8000 sec.
Where as the EPL5 has a 2 axis IS and .46 million dot lcd which is less then half of the above and no focus peaking.

Last edited by aim120 : 5th November 2013 at 20:08.
aim120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 12:24   #1345
BHPian

Guys
I am having an issue with my e-m5 thats confusing me. I've never really tried flash photography before. And when I shoot in auto, the flash does its job, the image is well exposed. But I copy the exact same settings in manual mode like f4.0, shutter 1/30, ISO 800 etc, the image comes out under-exposed. I tried changing to 2nd curtain trigger but no luck. So far I've been unable to take a good pic with flash.

What am I doing wrong? Also the battery appears to deplete to one bar from full with 3 flash triggers. Then I need to shut it offfor 15 mins before the battery shows full again.

--R
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 12:17   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Man, this thread can go months without a post. And I know lot of us have mirrorless there days. We must be a very content lot unlike the dSLR users.

I carry my full kit (OMD + 3 lens) all the time. It is so small, I don't have to take it down even during combat.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-884354_300921296713448_1854964557_o.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Guys
I am having an issue with my e-m5 thats confusing me. I've never really tried flash photography before. And when I shoot in auto, the flash does its job, the image is well exposed. But I copy the exact same settings in manual mode like f4.0, shutter 1/30, ISO 800 etc, the image comes out under-exposed. I tried changing to 2nd curtain trigger but no luck. So far I've been unable to take a good pic with flash.
It is not an issue with OMD-EM5. The problem is you are not exposing correctly with flash. Why are you shooting in manual and how are you setting flash compensation?

Stick to aperture priority if you want the camera to help out with exposure setting.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 11:22   #1347
BHPian

The Camera Store TV announces A7r as the best digital camera of the year 2013.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-...astoretv-team/

Looks like a worthy promising camera to buy!
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 18:24   #1348
BHPian

I am loving my m43 kit for its take anywhere size and and more than acceptable IQ for most of my needs. Its my choice for all my holiday and travel photography. I love the fact I can get 28-300 mm focal length packed up in a tiny case logic bag that came free with my camera.

Featured here are 14mm, 25mm on the camera, 45-150mm, charger, battery and removable EVF which goes everywhere with me when I am travelling or holidaying.

Also attaching some of the images taken with this camera so far.

Now I am thinking of adding the Panasonic 7-14 to complete this kit. So now am looking for a new bag. Would love some nice cheap recommendations for a larger yet small bag that will take 2-3 more lenses in addition to what I already own.

I would love to see what bags you use for carrying your photo equipment so that visualization with appropriate gear is easier rather than just bag recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-m43kit.jpg  

Attached Images

SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 21:17   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys. Just thought I'd pen down a few thoughts about my new Olympus OMD EM1 that I recently purchased. This is a kit with the new 12-40 F/2.8 lens. I sold my EM5 and kit lens.

a) The build quality is AMAZING and I am no stranger to pro quality gear. I am very impressed. Both the body and lens are very, very well constructed. Oly, way to go guys. Thumbs up! If only they were made in Japan. Just being a hair splitter.

b) The EVF is one that has finally given me hope. Yes, this is thing is certainly a upcoming alternative to the age old OVF.

c) The EM1 focusses as quickly as my Nikon D4 in single frame AF. And that's saying something mates!

d) Battery life sucks. Frankly I get around 300 shots/charge. It pales in comparison to the Nikons' 2000-2500 shots/charge.

e) Minor improvement in low light performance. This isn't a pat on Oly's back, but a step forward. Of course you cannot compare it with cameras that pack larger sensors.

f) This camera is as expensive as a high end APS-C or APS-H camera. The lens is expensive too. In the world of sensors, size matters. So keep that in mind. But if you want a great balance of IQ, weight, size and bullet proof construction, the EM1 is for you.

Verdict - if you have the budget and want a top end MLC, buy the EM1 and 12-40 lens kit. These are probably the only 2 pieces of gear you will need for a large
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 23:07   #1350
Team-BHP Support

OMG.... you already jumped ship to EM1 + 12-40mm !!!

That is my dream setup. But I can't simply afford it now. I am eyeing the lens for now. But I can get it only if I sell 17mm and 12-50mm lenses and then add some dough on it.

Since I am shooting mostly using 45mm and 17mm with OMD EM5, most of my pics are family and office related shots. I have very little I can share in public. Relatives and colleagues are quite stunned at what this little package can deliver.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote