Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 22nd December 2010, 11:45   #1
BHPian

Default Standalone CD player for A/V receiver?

Hi all,
I currently have a Onkyo A/V receiver, hooked up to my Sony DVD player. The Sony is good when it comes to playing DVD's, but horrible with audio CD's. Takes forever to load, tries to switch on the TV (HDMI control) when a CD is entered etc. etc. So I was looking for a simple standalone audio CD player for my A/V receiver. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I have no idea of my budget, since I'm not sure what these things cost these days (even if they exist). Let's say 5 to 6K?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Standalone CD player for A/V receiver?

Floyd,

For 5K you will not get a great CD player unless you settle for one that is previously used.

I's suggest you look at Denon, Marantz etc... but they will cost 15K or so.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:37   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Standalone CD player for A/V receiver?

Or you can go the e-way via Airport express. May not be audiophile quality but definitely as good as your Sony player.

My setup.
1.Apple Airport Express plugged into the AVR via an output Stereo jack.
2.All music ripped and stored on a common drive.
3.Use laptop/desktop with iTunes mapped to the music source to play the music via Airport Express
4.iTunes will stream in wifi mode to the A.Express into your AVR.

The A.Express can also double as a print server + regular wifi router .
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote