Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th February 2011, 00:17   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Notion Ink Adam

Got an email from GATI

Quote:
Dear Gautam

Greetings from GATI India!

Your Adam (Order No. xxxxxxxxxx) has arrived in India and is undergoing the customs clearance process.
It will get cleared in 24 working hours and will be ready to be shipped out to you.

Tracking numbers for your shipment will be provided by Monday EOD.

Thank you for your cooperation.

With warm regards
GATI India
Monday EOD is long gone , no update as of yet , its really getting frustrating now !

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th February 2011 at 13:43. Reason: Removing formatting tags
gautamkhadse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 16:06   #47
BHPian

Default Re: MY ADAM DELIVERED

HI ALL,

Got my Adam just now .
Will post more in some time.
Till then enjoy the unboxing pics.

Started a new thread, In approval process.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th February 2011 at 18:23. Reason: Pic not showing. Removed the same
ZeRoŠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 17:55   #48
Team-BHP Support

Congrats ZeRo(c)!

I'd suggest you post your review and observations in this thread itself.

Qs:
1) How is the built quality ? Do the plastics seem a little less premium than you expected?
2) Speed?
3) How loud are those speakers? Noticably louder than the ipad / avg laptop?
4) Does it have a bottom side trackpad? (even though its not enabled)

More later..
cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 18:05   #49
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: MY ADAM DELIVERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoŠ View Post
HI ALL,

Got my Adam just now .
Will post more in some time.
Till then enjoy the unboxing pics.

Started a new thread, In approval process.
Congrats ! . What was the model and total cost including shipping ? . Did you have pay any customs ?
black12rr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 18:22   #50
BHPian

Mine will be delivered in the next hour and the customs has come out to Rs 5011 . I was shocked but anyway am happy .. waiting for it to be at my door step
Old 8th February 2011, 18:59   #51
BHPian

Congrats ZeroŠ

@Rehaan
The trackpad has been removed altogether. This has been confirmed by Notion Ink hacks in their opening up pictures.
aman9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 19:51   #52
BHPian

Red face Re: Notion Ink Adam

Delivered around 330PM today.
wifi+3g model
Customs charges came to 3700/-

Box was not opened for customs inspection. Had the seal on.
Initial impressions-

*Build quality is good, no flex, creak.
*Took 2-3 attempts to detect 3G and connect.
*3G once connected, was pretty good.
*WiFi worked fine.
*GPS worked smoothly, showed position fix pretty quick.
*No idea on battery runtime yet. Have kept it for charging.
*Charger build quality suspect.
*Screen is glossy, applying the screen protector really helps.
*Tried updating, but failed- need to check.
*Good viewing angles.
*Comfortable to hold, has a good position for everyone.

Will keep updating as i spend more time with my 'oh so delayed' adam.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 22:57   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Delivered around 330PM today.
wifi+3g model
Customs charges came to 3700/-

Box was not opened for customs inspection. Had the seal on.
Initial impressions-

*Build quality is good, no flex, creak.
*Took 2-3 attempts to detect 3G and connect.
*3G once connected, was pretty good.
*WiFi worked fine.
*GPS worked smoothly, showed position fix pretty quick.
*No idea on battery runtime yet. Have kept it for charging.
*Charger build quality suspect.
*Screen is glossy, applying the screen protector really helps.
*Tried updating, but failed- need to check.
*Good viewing angles.
*Comfortable to hold, has a good position for everyone.

Will keep updating as i spend more time with my 'oh so delayed' adam.
Hi Xotiq

Congrats. Waiting for my Adam - will ship on 14th Feb. Hope I will get it without much delay.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 13:11   #54
Team-BHP Support

@aman9393 - thanks. I asked the question after seeing those pics. I was under the impression that they were shipping it with the trackpad, and they would activate it later. I'm a bit shocked to see it not included!

Another Q:
Does the Adam support USB host support. (ie, can i plug in an external hard drive, or a digicam, or even charge my cellphone via the USB port?). I've seen it using a flash drive in the demos, but was just wondering how full-fledged this is.

Thanks,
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 18:52   #55
BHPian

I think what we all look from the guys who got their beloved Adams (err!), is the overall build quality vis.a.vie the apple ipad & the usability/experience of their UI.

I dont know if that can be compared by someone who has not handled an ipad or even a Galaxy Tab.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 21:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

i missed my earlier pre-order chance, now i got a second invite to order but at present i'm not interested.

If any one interested to buy ?! The top model cost

Quote:
Your Adam with PixelQi LCD, Wifi + 3G (UMTS 900/2100 MHz):INR 29999 (27649 + 2350) ( device amount + shipping amount )
Also sharing their warranty policy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Warranty.pdf (24.6 KB, 1129 views)
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 00:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@aman9393 - thanks. I asked the question after seeing those pics. I was under the impression that they were shipping it with the trackpad, and they would activate it later. I'm a bit shocked to see it not included!

Another Q:
Does the Adam support USB host support. (ie, can i plug in an external hard drive, or a digicam, or even charge my cellphone via the USB port?). I've seen it using a flash drive in the demos, but was just wondering how full-fledged this is.

Thanks,
R
To answer you question , I tried plugging in my External Hard drive but I guess Adam doesnt support large drives . I guess it supports a max of 128 GB . I have a 500 Gb hard drive , ADAM doesnt detect it at all but it does detect a USB drive, a 8 GB pen drive . The USB ports are more or less for the keyboard and mouse if one intends to use those.

The price that was quoted without the customs seemed pretty impressive and most of the people ordered assuming that it as the final price they had to pay . I've seen a lot of people dis appointed with the customs charges. I myself was very disappointed with the customs charges .

One feature I would have loved to see was the ability to make phone calls . I mean when you have the facility to send messages why not provide for phone calls too even galaxy tab has that provision .

The sound quality is pretty good . The battery life is superb . Once updated the touch response is also pretty nice .

The build quality I must say is a lil bad . The plastics are not top notch . For a gadget thats been touted as one of the most anticipated gadgets the end product is not as expected .

Havent tried connecting a webcam or digicam or a phone (for charging) yet . Webcam wouldnt make sense cuz adam has its own 180 degree swivel cam . And more over even if you wanted to connect a webcam i dont thing vendors have drivers for webcams made for the android OS .

Eden , is a modified Froyo which was intended for the phones and it has been ported to a pad . Am sure once they begin their work on honey comb and start sending it out a lot of new features would be added . Honey comb has been specially designed for the tablet platform so I guess that would be the right OS for a tablet like Adam . Adam has all the right hardware only the software needs a fix .
Old 11th February 2011, 01:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Ordered the top of the line version for myself. Waiting for the day GATI sends me an email that Gautam got :-)

Guys, its not about the size of the hard drive. It's about the partitioning system. If it's in FAT, FAT32 formats, we are good to go.
IF it's in NTFS formats, it's not going to work (as of now, since Rohan Shravan has promised something on those lines)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 18:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

The shipping date for my Adam has drawn closer. But there is a lot of controversy. People who have ordered in December have STILL not gotten their Pqi 3G adams. I shudder to think what will happen if I am made to wait 3 months :-(
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 22:56   #60
BHPian

Yeah , there was a time when I'd thought about cancelling my order and getting something else . Am wondering if they are streching their luck . Jus cuz people are so loyal and they have such a loyal fan following they cant keep messing with people money . They do have a good product but they must remember they are competing with the giants like HP apple motorola and if they start offlike this its will be horrible regaining the market .

A good gesture on their part was , recently they refunded the OCTROI which GATI had collected from us . All of a sudden GATI people started contacting and they said we need to refund the octroi and I was given the money on the same day they contacted me .

The software is very laggy though , dont enjoy it much , with teh videos of rooting and all that I've seen and I believe someone ported gingerbread onto it , the interface seemed pretty smooth . I believe the guys at notion ink hacks are working on porting the Honey Comb over to the adam . Hope the Honey Comb come out soon !

Frank , what about the laptop that you bought recently , did you buy one finally , or did the adam replace the notebook ?