Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd November 2013, 09:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Residential VOIP phones in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Indian law still has restrictions when it comes to making a call to a PSTN network from VOIP.

These are excellent links that explain this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP#India

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/I...ic+Information

IMO, it's time Indian laws catch up with times.
Wait a min, the second link also mentions Skype. Are Skype to Skype calls also illegal? Or is it only for Skype to Mobile/landline using Skype credits?
Dry Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 11:08   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Residential VOIP phones in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Wait a min, the second link also mentions Skype. Are Skype to Skype calls also illegal? Or is it only for Skype to Mobile/landline using Skype credits?
The way I understand both the articles, Skype-to-Skype (or any voip to voip) is fine.

But I am not sure, since when I purchased a phone 2/3 years back (Nokia N900), it had a common global firmware, but for India they had made it specially by dropping skype support. Either it was illegal (which is less likely in my opinion) or may be they were just playing it safe.

As regards, VOIP to PSTN, within India, I am not sure whether it's legal, though came across following sites apparently providing such services. Not sure about legal status.

(Got from http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/S...roviders+India )

E.g. this one is providing rates for destination being Indian PSTN lines, notwithstanding the source:
http://www.doorvaani.com/voip_rates

Would also like to add: Internet quality in India is not yet good, at least not uniformly good. Voip quality does get affected by latencies.

Last edited by mayuresh : 23rd November 2013 at 11:10.
mayuresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 21:19   #48
BHPian

Default Re: VoIP Calling Software & Websites (Skype, Magicjack etc)

Mayuresh,

Doorvani does not offer DID to India. My original quest was to have an Indian phone number on VOIP and have all my India-to-India calling on VOIP. However, because of TRAI I now understand that's a no-go.

I also checked your other link and sub-links within that page - same story.

Anyhow, my original question has been answered, and if the mods wish to close this thread to prevent tangential discussions, so be it.

Thank you all for helping out.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 23:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

I work in the VOIP field, and this is how I understand the Indian law against VOIP.

A single phone call shouldn't span Internet and PSTN lines within India. That's it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 15:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I might be moving to Singapore on work for a 2 year period. What are the best device options for video chat with my family back here in India ?

Pls advise.
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2015, 17:30   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
What are the best device options for video chat with my family back here in India ?

Pls advise.
Suggestions based on the assumption that you have atleast a 512 KB internet broadband / 3G connection back in India while you are in S'pore

Skype works best. It is not too hungry in consuming data and has sufficiently acceptable audio / video quality.

If you are on the Apple bandwagon - Facetime on iPad.
GJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2015, 18:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post

Skype works best. It is not too hungry in consuming data and has sufficiently acceptable audio / video quality.
Thanks. Am also looking for device suggestions. A phone might be too small. I was thinking if it's possible to use a TV + Web cam. Not familiar with the latest technology, so all suggestions are welcome.
Old 7th November 2015, 19:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post

If you are on the Apple bandwagon - Facetime on iPad.
Skype is very good for audio. Video hasn't been all that great though. GTalk is actually much better. This is with 12-16 Mbps at my end and 4 Mbps in India.

Am told Facetime is very good by a colleague, but don't have an Apple device in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thanks. Am also looking for device suggestions. A phone might be too small. I was thinking if it's possible to use a TV + Web cam. Not familiar with the latest technology, so all suggestions are welcome.
Am not sure we have the downstream bandwidth in India to get a clear video chat in TV screen. iPad-Facetime would be a good portable option. Google Talk video chat via browser if you are looking at minimal money spent.
narayans80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2015, 21:39   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
GTalk is actually much better. This is with 12-16 Mbps at my end and 4 Mbps in India.

Am not sure we have the downstream bandwidth in India to get a clear video chat in TV screen. iPad-Facetime would be a good portable option. Google Talk video chat via browser if you are looking at minimal money spent.
Could you pls explain the difference between Gtalk in para 1 and Google talk video you are referring in para 2 ?

I also read in the Internet that Google no longer supports Gtalk and one needs to use something called Hangout ?

I vaguely recall someone telling me in the distant past that one can browse using certain TVs. Shouldn't it be possible then to hook up a webcam and mike to the TV and use Skype or other such software to communicate ? Sorry if what I'm suggesting is probably too futuristic 😀