Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd February 2011, 05:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India dumpyard for Apple !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Or the last time you handed your phone for a service/repair, they swapped its Philips screws with Pentalobe, and now you can't find the required screwdriver anywhere in your country.
I read about this. This is really awful even by Apple standards. They should atleast sell an iScrewDriver for Rs.1000.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 07:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is that the biggest compliment for apple products - that they work?
:-)

Except when they don't - i.e when you hold the lower left corner of the phone. When you want to change the battery & you can't because it's welded to the device.
the non-user serviceable battery is the only part of the product i disagree with. No the best compliment for Apple products is that they are sexy and they work so well because the software is so easy to use, yet powerful at the same time.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 08:18   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
the non-user serviceable battery is the only part of the product i disagree with. No the best compliment for Apple products is that they are sexy and they work so well because the software is so easy to use, yet powerful at the same time.
I agree. Battery is one big pain for iPhone. There is no phone comparable to iPhone. I have tried both Android and other smart phones too. Android is picking up real fast, but yet to get in big time.
snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 09:26   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The iPhone may be a well designed computer, but is it a well designed phone?

Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Well netfreak , Apple is ahead in application business and people apply that creativity for writing this platform on Apple platform but for how long is the question.
I had a chart on the usable applications out of total available somewhere which puts this is correct perspective.

Anyway one info Samsung semiconductor division has committed to increase the supply of processors to Apple by 4 times , With this more then 50% of supply would be for Apple further putting constraints on Samsung Mobile products like Galaxy S.
Each division is independent profit and loss centre so expect Samsung devices with other processors this year,
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well netfreak , Apple is ahead in application business and people apply that creativity for writing this platform on Apple platform but for how long is the question.
Things can change in future but at this point of time, iOS is platform of choice from App point of view.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I agree. Battery is one big pain for iPhone. There is no phone comparable to iPhone. I have tried both Android and other smart phones too. Android is picking up real fast, but yet to get in big time.
actually i like android over the iphone because of the openness of the android platform. No hassles with unlocking, etc, etc. Just rooting the phone solves all the problems. Im not really into the iphone, but i love my ipod touch .
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 00:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Any idea when Apple is dumping iPhone 4 in India?
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 01:08   #54
Team-BHP Support

No news what so ever. Even the statements made by Airtel CEO did not materialize! Funny thing the google alert kept for iPhone 4 launch picked up this thread today morning for me
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 10:00   #55
BHPian

Its when iPhone 5 is getting released in the U.S
Old 4th February 2011, 13:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I read about this. This is really awful even by Apple standards. They should atleast sell an iScrewDriver for Rs.1000.
Next thing we know, they'll sell us an iNanny. Looks like Liv Tyler, but doesn't allow you (or your kids) to do anything.

Quote:
Its when iPhone 5 is getting released in the U.S

Last edited by anku94 : 4th February 2011 at 13:27.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

If I go to US and change my home address, I can start downloading anything I want. I anyway get billed on my INDIAN credit card. So just changing the location stops piracy is a pathetic logic I would say.

!!!
Isn't apple asking for credit card who address is registered in U.S to do this?
KumaravelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:43   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Yes, You'll not be able to register in US address with Credit Card issued in India. When i was in Canada i gave my Canadian address and Indian CC information. The site didn't accept the registration. Finally i had to give a Canadian CC for registration.

Last edited by mail4loys : 4th February 2011 at 16:44.
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
Yes, You'll not be able to register in US address with Credit Card issued in India. When i was in Canada i gave my Canadian address and Indian CC information. The site didn't accept the registration. Finally i had to give a Canadian CC for registration.
Well, i bought my iPod Touch when I was in New York. I registered successfully with my ICICI credit card and NY hotel address. After that I could easily download anything from AppStore, even paid Apps. Unfortunately, I did not try to download a movie or a music album. Probably, it might have worked too. But, I am sure the AppStore only checks your registered address and not the card which you use for shopping.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 4th February 2011 at 16:51.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 15:35   #60
BHPian

YET AGAIN ! Apple dumps. While the whole world gets a discount of $100. India gets a discount of around $75.

Source : TOI

Why wouldn't Apple pass on benefit to the customers. Well, no reasons of excise, CBU etc etc, blaming govt. can get in here.

Last edited by snorting bull : 8th March 2011 at 15:38. Reason: Question