Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th January 2011, 15:01   #1
BHPian

Angry India dumpyard for Apple !!

iPad is getting introduced in India when its getting phased out elsewhere in the world. Its a pity that Apple treats Indian fans this way. Worst part is that its priced way above than in U.S. $399 for basic model.
Is India a dumpyard to dispose to phase out iPad 1 when newer one is getting released ?

Disclosure - I own an iPhone.
snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India dumpyard for Apple !!

Thats normal right. there are people here who are actually waiting to buy all this.

I have an Iphone as well. its the 3g. when US was using iphone4 they launched the 3gs in India which was apparently a Hit.

even today if you buy an iphone 4 apple will not give a guarantee since its not released in India.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, and I guess iPhone 3G 16GB is priced somewhere near 38,000. If you consider cheaper options, you can get 2-3 4G 16GB's from US for that much money.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

The price can't be same as US. Also iPad2 is imminent yet un-released. Also the new iPad will take atleast 1 more year to get here. Ex. iPods iPhones.

India is an important market yet not a prime market for Apple. It's same story for cars as well, I hope this puts the prime statement about treatment to a higher level. Apple be spared.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 15:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
India is an important market yet not a prime market for Apple.
the question is why? something to do with treatment Steve Jobs got during his hippie days in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes, and I guess iPhone 3G 16GB is priced somewhere near 38,000. If you consider cheaper options, you can get 2-3 4G 16GB's from US for that much money.
seems to be like 34,900 not 38K

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
iPad is getting introduced in India when its getting phased out elsewhere in the world. Its a pity that Apple treats Indian fans this way. Worst part is that its priced way above than in U.S. $399 for basic model.
when I use this iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.) I get $499 as the minimum price. comparing with The Apple Store (India) - iPad - the pricing is only 9k more on basic model. at the top end level, the difference is not much ~ 4/5K.
adzegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 16:11   #6
BHPian

India always gets a step daughter treatment from Apple. Apart from the iPod none other product was hit in Indian market due to the High price from Apple. Dont know what they think of Indian Market.
When all the Automobile Company is thinking of Indian market Apple is still going on Stone Age. God Bless them.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 16:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
India always gets a step daughter treatment from Apple.
I do not agree to this statement. There are people ready to buy the stuff right?
whether its outdated or not its still considered "status".

as long as there is demand, there will be supply for that product.

even today, the Iphone 3G is a priced possession for an average person, and not to mention the countless Apps that are available to while your time away is still a good deal in the market.

we need to change ourselves before we can expect the company to change.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 16:34   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post

I don't think we are still in old age. We can't compare ourselves with U.S, because of the sales is huge. But go down your building and stop for a few moments, you are bound to see atleast 2 people talking over iPhone. I certainly feel there is a huge market out here.

Last edited by snorting bull : 28th January 2011 at 16:35. Reason: Reduced the quote sentences
snorting bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 17:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
What should we do, stop buying apple products? I guess that is already happening. (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
But go down your building and stop for a few moments, you are bound to see atleast 2 people talking over iPhone. I certainly feel there is a huge market out here.
Yeah, but how many of these are genuine iPhones bought in India? The majority of people I know with iPhones have got it from US. IMO if Apple prices its products at par with international market and bring the latest releases, only then will they see any significant increase in sales.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Any manufacturer will start pushing its products if he feels there is potential here. Probably its not reflected in Apple's study / survey. So, they take their own time.

Except for those creamy layers, how many you think buy iPhones? There are many smart phones out here, and hence competitive pricing is a must to get success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Yeah, but how many of these are genuine iPhones bought in India? The majority of people I know with iPhones have got it from US.
Add those Chinese imitations too.

Last edited by mjothi : 28th January 2011 at 17:54.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree to the point of discussion upto some extent.

I am a crazy fan of Apple the company and its mind blowing products.

I have an iPhone, iPod Touch 3G and a iPod shuffle 1G. All these products are just out of this world.

What I would say is, YES we do get these products later than US, UK or some other markets. For me, it doesn't matter really. As long as I get all the guarantee, warranty I don't care whether US has moved ahead one step already. Why compare?

But I do agree with the step-brotherly treatment of Apple when it comes to iTunes Store. If I have to download a movie from the iTunes Movie store, I simply CAN NOT. Why??? Because I am an Indian. I had got so damn pissed off with this that I had posted this question strongly on the Apple official forum. One stupid A** replied saying that India is corrupt and there is too much piracy, so Apple doesn't allow Indian users to download Movies, Music or such stuff. Isn't this unacceptable??

However, this restriction is so illogical. If I go to US and change my home address, I can start downloading anything I want. I anyway get billed on my INDIAN credit card. So just changing the location stops piracy is a pathetic logic I would say.

Anyways, I am OK with this problem of iTunes, since I have found a way to get movies on my iPod Touch the way I want them.

But, Apple still ROCKS! Big Time!!!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Apple already is selling well in US. And it is their policy to keep their product exclusive. By keeping the prices high.

Android is the best thing which has happened in recent time. Hopefully soon Android will do to Apple what Google did to other search engines.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 18:29   #13
BHPian

I don't think Apple has a lot of "India" customers. And thats why they do not launch products along with the global launch dates. Most of the people I know who have apple products have bought them from abroad where it is cheaper.

This will only change if they price products to match prices in Singapore or anywhere else where it is cheap. BTW, it could also be the taxes in India which make them more expensive here.
Pri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 19:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Other than that, I guess iTunes and some other software's arnt completely customized for India.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 20:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

This is an American thing.

Leaving India out of it for the moment, in UK you will often come across this mysterious 1USD=1GBP exchange rate for stuff like software. Even going way back, long before the current age of home computing and mobile devices, books from USA were absurdly expensive in UK.

They call it globalisation. I call it something much less polite.

Just try out their famous "global market" by trying to buy, online, from US sites. Everything's wonderful until you hit "We do not ship outside of....".

Globalisation? Hah!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote