Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th February 2011, 17:58   #1
BHPian

Default Mood lighting products for residential purposes

The purpose of this thread is to document the products available in India to achieve "Mood Lighting".

I have just barely had a look at some products, and as i review more products, i will update them here.

For starters, Mood lighting in my own definition means to be able to "easily" change the lighting conditions of a room, to suit the mood. For example, TV viewing demands soft lighting, whereas reading a newspaper requires a different setting. A home theater which doubles up as a study room, would require extremly low light (dim lights + curtains closed) where as when reading a book on a lazy sunday afternoon requires a different setting.

Here is the start of a review. It would really help if others post their views, and experiences. I am constructing a house, and it would be an invaluable input to be.

Some of the products i have seen:

1. GM Modular:

This is by far one of the best solutions i have seen. What i liked about this is its simplicity. The product i saw comes as a 4 switch module. This module can easily be accomodated into a standard modular switch console. This one module (with 5 switches) occupies the space of 3 normal modular switches.
How are 4 switches accomodated..? Each switch is half of the size of a normal switch. And there is one master switch along with an IR sensor.

The wiring needs to be done according to the lighting you need. For example, for switch 1, you could wire 2 lights, while for switch 2, you could wire 4 of them.

The product also comes with a remote, which can control upto 20 switches. (that is there are 20 buttons on the remote) plus there is a + and - button to reduce and increase brightness.

The disadvantages of this is that all the lighting configuration (like Switch 1 assigned to 2 lights, switch 2 to 4 lights etc) is hard wired and to change this, one has to change the actual connections at the back of the panel.
Attached Images

deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Mood lighting products for residential purposes

See this: Flexible LED Light - Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Kit 5 meters with 150 LEDs

This basically costs around Rs. 400/- for a 3 meter strip and can be stuck on any surface (comes with 3m adhesive on the strip) and looks super cool. I have this as cove lighting and have about 4-5 different lighting effects (mood lights included).
The color transitions have a wow factor attached to it.

See a sample video I found on youtube. I have a similar setup.

Last edited by patron : 8th February 2011 at 18:15.
patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 18:38   #3
BHPian

^^^ I am not too sure if this qualifies as mood lighting.

Here is one I know.

Mood lighting products for residential purposes-llc-perspective.jpg

You have one modular console mounted on the wall with four pre-fixed (adjustable) mood lighting options available.

Comes with an IR remote. Press the button to get your lighting right. Costs some 35k with the remote.
prateek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 21:33   #4
BHPian

@Patron: Thanks a lot for the information. I will surely look around for this.

@Prateek99: This is another product that i also saw. This was also impressive, and thanks for posting the photo also.

The Panasonic model is good and its advantages include the ability to configure the settings for each "profile" from the panel. This is one thing missing from the GM Modular 4 switch panel.

However, the disadvantage is the price that comes at 32k, and also that this needs to be planned during construction itself whereas the GM one is something that would easily fit into existing modular console.

Also, i forgot to mention the price of the GM Modular one: it is about 8k for the 4 switch model.
Old 8th February 2011, 21:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
See this: Flexible LED Light - Color Changing Flexible LED Strip Kit 5 meters with 150 LEDs

This basically costs around Rs. 400/- for a 3 meter strip and can be stuck on any surface (comes with 3m adhesive on the strip) and looks super cool. I have this as cove lighting and have about 4-5 different lighting effects (mood lights included).
The color transitions have a wow factor attached to it.
The link mentions the cost as $ 139, while you say its 400 INR, is there something I am missing here? perhaps the size of the strip? Is this available locally in India or one has to order it online?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 04:07   #6
BHPian

I am also interested in something like this. Does anyone know where I can find the strip that patron has mentioned above in Delhi?
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 13:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a 'scene controller' also known as 'mood lighting' from TOYAMA.
Its basically a 8 module 10x10amp controller with remote etc. I find it very nice and am installing a second one very soon. Its price is steep at 55k but you can have 6 different settings for the entire room or house for that matter, which you can keep changing. This system needs to be pre planned and wiring done accordingly. They have their base at Bangalore. They also have a smaller version besides other remote operating systems and switches.
TOYAMA - Home
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 14:21   #8
BHPian

Its really necessary to have such lighting controls these days in our dwellings to have a relaxing evening. But as of now the price is too high for personal use.

Once the prices comes down and more brands are available, sale should pick up.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 9th February 2011 at 14:41.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 16:20   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Try Schenider ULTI Clipsal switches... Similar to the first option here but way cooler and simpler.

Also in the age of LED/CFL lighting, brightness control switches on your panel will become useless since they work only with halogen lights. You will need extra equipment to control brightness on CFL/LED lights.

akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 17:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The link mentions the cost as $ 139, while you say its 400 INR, is there something I am missing here? perhaps the size of the strip? Is this available locally in India or one has to order it online?
A quick Ebay.in search got me a few entries that costs around Rs. 2000 for a single color strip of 5 meters. So, i guess 100$ is probably the correct cost, and @Patron might have typed Rs. 400 instead of Rs. 4000. Can you confirm @Patron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
I am also interested in something like this. Does anyone know where I can find the strip that patron has mentioned above in Delhi?
Available in Ebay.in if not elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I have been using a 'scene controller' also known as 'mood lighting' from TOYAMA.
Its basically a 8 module 10x10amp controller with remote etc. I find it very nice and am installing a second one very soon. Its price is steep at 55k but you can have 6 different settings for the entire room or house for that matter, which you can keep changing. This system needs to be pre planned and wiring done accordingly. They have their base at Bangalore. They also have a smaller version besides other remote operating systems and switches.
TOYAMA - Home
Thanks for the link. I will check out this system too. In many ways, i see that this is very similar to the Panasonic one that @Prattek99 posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Its really necessary to have such lighting controls these days in our dwellings to have a relaxing evening. But as of now the price is too high for personal use.

Once the prices comes down and more brands are available, sale should pick up.
True. Being an electronics guy, i dont mind having to tinker around by opening up the panels. However, I think its not just this system cost that is involved. The next thing is about the actual lights. This really increases the cost in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Try Schenider ULTI Clipsal switches... Similar to the first option here but way cooler and simpler.

Also in the age of LED/CFL lighting, brightness control switches on your panel will become useless since they work only with halogen lights. You will need extra equipment to control brightness on CFL/LED lights.
Thanks for pointing to the Schenider products. Will have detailed look at it. Any idea of the pricing?

Now, the point about brightness - your point is very valid. In fact I was just doing some reading up of whether CFL brightness can be controlled - and what i found is that, although it can be controlled, it is quite a limited range. It can only be from 100% to about 80% of the brightness. So most people end up using halogen lamps.

I would really like to keep my power consumption a little low, as i "try" to be ecofriendly where possible. So, it looks like LED's are the most promising.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:18   #11
BHPian

The price I mentioned, Rs. 400/- is per meter. So 2000/ 5 meters is correct. But 5 meters is pretty long for any home application. This comes in rolls which can be cut to the size needed and a controller is added to the end of the strip. Note that some sellers may charge separately for the controller (Around 300-400). This is available from any lighting stores in Bangalore. Not sure about other cities. Ask for "Color changing LED Strip with Remote". The effect is very similar to the video I posted above. I will try to post a video of the lighting of my set up soon.
If anybody is interested in Bangalore, PM me, I can give the contact details of the store where you can get this for you in Bangalore.
With regard to the other more expensive solutions, this may not be the true mood lighting per se but does the job of giving the 'wow' factor.
Whenever I have people at home, I just switch this on and watch people go gaga over it .
Try a single meter in a small cove and once convinced, you can get a longer piece for a bigger application.

PS: The strips come with 3M stickering and stick to most surfaces without any effort.
patron is offline   Reply With Quote