Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 16:10   #1501
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just found an app that promises to wrap text on android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.android.lite This is an e-book reader.

Strange that iOS doesn't have one yet. Are you sure about this?
Red Liner, these apps may wrap text, but they will not wrap PDFs. PDF is not text, I think they are images. I believe wrapping PDF is very complicated, if not impossible. Some programs, even if they wrap PDFs, they will extract the text and then wrap the text. You will lose all the original formatting and images. But when the size of your tablet is about 10', the need to wrap lessens. So far, I am yet to come across a good PDF reader which satisfies this requirement. The reader that you have mentioned (Mantano) does not claim anywhere that they fulfill this requirement.

I am reasonably sure about iOS not having an app which can wrap PDFs. But since my iPad is old and on old OS, I am out of touch with Apple iOS ecosystem, and there may be some new readers who are capable of this. I will do some R&D and revert (when time permits!).
bsdbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 21:30   #1502
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 653 Times
Default

Try this app called qpdf on Android. It does something called text reflow. I tried it and it wrapped text on my Android mobile 5 incher so I could zoom in and read the pdf, and it wrapped the text within my screen. Will test it some more, but I think this app does the trick. And yes it's free.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 17:49   #1503
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: |
Posts: 581
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I am Super impressed with motorola xoom. I bought one from US ( MZ 601) some 1 year back. My son accidentally threw it down and it developed cold feet into 3rd month of purchase ( display Issues) .

Took it to Service center and they demanded some 20 K to correct it citing some hardware fault. Heart broken, took it to Many place like Gaffar market and all. nobody dared to touch it. Since than it was lying UN used. Previous week took it to nehru place and voila , guy was back to old ways. good thing is no body touched it internally and shop owner was also surprised that it;s running fine while earlier i was seeing no display.

Wonder if motorola started building some self healing capabilities in their xoom series

Last edited by Samurai : 12th May 2014 at 18:13. Reason: tags removed
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 08:10   #1504
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Looking for some recommendations on a good case n stand combo for Nexus 7. Can the existing users share their preferred ones with feedback to avoid any bad ones if possible.

Thanks for your time and help
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 11:53   #1505
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am Super impressed with motorola xoom. I bought one from US ( MZ 601) some 1 year back...
Great to see another Xoom owner. I got my MZ601 2 years back and it is still running strong.

Currently running on 4.4.2 OmniRom and it better than when it was new!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 13:51   #1506
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: |
Posts: 581
Thanked: 213 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Great to see another Xoom owner. I got my MZ601 2 years back and it is still running strong.

Currently running on 4.4.2 OmniRom and it better than when it was new!
Thanks Happy Wheels. Where did you downloaded 4.4.2 . XDA forum is pretty silent on Xoom development and has rooted mine fresh some week back. was looking for kit Kat but max i found was 4.2.2 (EOS Nightie ) .

Could you please share where did you downloaded kit Kat from and if possible procedure to install the same .

Any clues - where can i buy the sim slot holder. I lost mine during one of the repair trips and not sure where can i buy a new one.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 13th May 2014 at 13:55.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 17:06   #1507
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
I am Super impressed with motorola xoom. I bought one from US ( MZ 601) some 1 year back. My son accidentally threw it down and it developed cold feet into 3rd month of purchase ( display Issues) .

Took it to Service center and they demanded some 20 K to correct it citing some hardware fault. Heart broken, took it to Many place like Gaffar market and all. nobody dared to touch it. Since than it was lying UN used. Previous week took it to nehru place and voila , guy was back to old ways. good thing is no body touched it internally and shop owner was also surprised that it;s running fine while earlier i was seeing no display.

Wonder if motorola started building some self healing capabilities in their xoom series

My dad's Xoom has touch issues (say around 20% of the screen does not register a touch).
He tried opening it and in the process damaged the screw heads. The tool used was of very poor quality. It sheared the head completely.
Now, the device is still used, but not much and without opening it up, we cannot check what is wrong inside.

I upgraded it to 4.4 (I think?) from 4.0.4 a few months ago and the tablet got a fresh look. Software can make all the difference.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 22:27   #1508
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Thanks Happy Wheels. Where did you downloaded 4.4.2 . XDA forum is pretty silent on Xoom development and has rooted mine fresh some week back. was looking for kit Kat but max i found was 4.2.2 (EOS Nightie ) .

Could you please share where did you downloaded kit Kat from and if possible procedure to install the same .

Any clues - where can i buy the sim slot holder. I lost mine during one of the repair trips and not sure where can i buy a new one.
XDA does have couple of active threads for Xoom KitKat.

Here you go, instructions and required files all provided to get the Xoom going:
http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/jell...tml#post266837

The ROM link in the above post will take you to the latest build, which seems to be having an issue. I am using the March 21st 2014 build (you can get it @ http://www.duckbox.info/android/omni-4.4.2/ ), which is quite stable.

SIM slot holder - tough one. Will keep an eye out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
...I upgraded it to 4.4 (I think?) from 4.0.4 a few months ago and the tablet got a fresh look. Software can make all the difference.
I had rooted my Xoom within couple of months of ownership. Always used to go for Team EOS rom's, till now. Went for Omnirom 4.4 since they had good feedback from users. Yes, the software does make a huge difference. I thought JB was good, but KitKat is the best so far. No lag, freezing or any of the issues previously noticed in terms of performance.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th May 2014 at 22:51.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 13:10   #1509
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 198
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I have a first gen iPad 16GB WiFi. I'm fed up of it and its restrictions and limited abilities. I want to change to an Android tablet. My worry is that Apple will stop support for it and I'll be left stranded without apps (which are anyways limited right now).

What kind of resale value should I expect for the iPad with the cover? Found some listings on OLX and Quikr for ~10k. I can sell it and maybe add another 3-5k and get an Android tablet. Budget is whatever I get from the iPad, but if something costlier is much better or real VFM, then the budget can be stretched.

Usage will be reading (a lot), surfing, basic games, and watching TV series. Audio quality and volume should be good. Expandable memory slot preferred and no or minimal lag and good ROM support. Also, the device should be reliable.

How good are the cheaper brands like BSNL, iBall, etc?

Priorities are:
1. 10" Screen (not hurting the eyes) as well as touch
2. Audio volume and quality
3. Battery life
4. Weight
amolbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 19:13   #1510
BHPian
 
RonXRi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
I have a first gen iPad 16GB WiFi. I'm fed up of it and its restrictions and limited abilities. I want to change to an Android tablet. My worry is that Apple will stop support for it and I'll be left stranded without apps (which are anyways limited right now).

What kind of resale value should I expect for the iPad with the cover? Found some listings on OLX and Quikr for ~10k. I can sell it and maybe add another 3-5k and get an Android tablet. Budget is whatever I get from the iPad, but if something costlier is much better or real VFM, then the budget can be stretched.

Usage will be reading (a lot), surfing, basic games, and watching TV series. Audio quality and volume should be good. Expandable memory slot preferred and no or minimal lag and good ROM support. Also, the device should be reliable.

How good are the cheaper brands like BSNL, iBall, etc?

Priorities are:
1. 10" Screen (not hurting the eyes) as well as touch
2. Audio volume and quality
3. Battery life
4. Weight
Yes, I think you could expect to get 10k for your first Gen iPad. For your new tablet, I'd highly recommend a Samsung Galaxy tab 2. I had picked up a slightly used tab 2 around 6 months back for 12k.

Answering your priorities,

1. Tab 2 is 7",and it's the ideal size for reading, surfing and watching movies personally. My tab has similar usage, and I can tell you, it's a great device.

2. Audio volume and quality is nothing great on the loudspeakers, but plug in some decent headphones, and it's Nirvana

3. Depending on your usage, it'll last for a day easily.

4. The tab 2 is slightly on the heavier side, and gets painful to hold after a while. But maybe that's my flip cover. Since the tab 2 does not have a removable back cover, flip cover means a pretty heavy plastic panel that attaches to the back of the tablet.

Overall, I'd say the tab 2 is a great device for your needs, but getting hold of a good one now maybe a bit tough. New is certainly difficult since it's been discontinued a long time back.

If you stay in Mumbai, I'd recommend you check out city center mall at goregaon SV road. The top floor has a bunch of shops selling used devices. I can vouch for these shops, they do not tamper with the devices in any way. Devices are sold absolutely stock. My 6 month old tab, and a friend's iPhone 3GS, which is also bought second hand from the same place a year ago, are both running absolutely fine. Cannot say for the other places in Mumbai selling used devices though.

Lastly, if you plan to buy tab 3 due to non availability of tab 2,kindly do some research on that device. I hear it's got lots of hanging problems

Just my 2 cents. Cheers

EDIT: I think it's better if you stay away from Indian brands as of now, such as BSNL and Micromax. These devices are prone to lots of glitches, and feeble after sales service from these companies result into a harrowing experience.

Last edited by RonXRi94 : 14th May 2014 at 19:17.
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 12:55   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,400
Thanked: 3,428 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Does Ipad come with international warranty? A friend just told that it does. Looking to get an Ipad air from USA.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 15:31   #1512
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 198
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonXRi94 View Post
Yes, I think you could expect to get 10k for your first Gen iPad. For your new tablet, I'd highly recommend a Samsung Galaxy tab 2. I had picked up a slightly used tab 2 around 6 months back for 12k.
...
Overall, I'd say the tab 2 is a great device for your needs, but getting hold of a good one now maybe a bit tough. New is certainly difficult since it's been discontinued a long time back.
...
Lastly, if you plan to buy tab 3 due to non availability of tab 2,kindly do some research on that device. I hear it's got lots of hanging problems
Thanks!

Not inclined towards used electronics. Also, the Tab 3 is out of budget. Checked out tablets on flipkart, and most of them have negative reviews.

How is the Dell Venue 7? Someone had told me to wait for newer ones, a few months ago on this thread itself. Any idea when they are coming? Also would there be a Nexus 7 2014 edition? (So I get 2013 edition at lesser price)
amolbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 21:00   #1513
BHPian
 
RonXRi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Thanks!

Not inclined towards used electronics. Also, the Tab 3 is out of budget. Checked out tablets on flipkart, and most of them have negative reviews.

How is the Dell Venue 7? Someone had told me to wait for newer ones, a few months ago on this thread itself. Any idea when they are coming? Also would there be a Nexus 7 2014 edition? (So I get 2013 edition at lesser price)
Dell venue tablets are already on sale AFAIK. Had seen a venue 7 at a croma the other day. No idea about it's performance though. But being a Dell, I don't think it should give problems, and the specs are decent for the price.

Also, Nexus tablets boast sheer quality and amazing screens, but 3G versions are priced a bit higher. The wifi only versions do not have a Sim slot. My bro has a wifi Nexus 7 2013, and he bought a 3G dongle and a portable router just for Internet connectivity outside of home. Depends if you're comfortable with that.

True, there were rumours of a 2014 Nexus, but nothing's official yet.

Do check out Dell venue though.

Cheers,
Rohan
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 23:46   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,400
Thanked: 3,428 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Has anyone here used the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition tablet? Which one would you recommend between this and the Ipad air? The specification sheet of the note tablet is really impressive. And the price for both in USA are almost the same with the note being 30$ cheaper.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 12:40   #1515
BHPian
 
RonXRi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Has anyone here used the galaxy note 10.1 2014 edition tablet? Which one would you recommend between this and the Ipad air? The specification sheet of the note tablet is really impressive. And the price for both in USA are almost the same with the note being 30$ cheaper.
The note and the iPad Air are both amazing pieces of hardware. But at the end of the day, it depends on which OS you would prefer.

If you prefer the closed ecosystem of iOS, go for the iPad. But if you'd like to exploit each and every feature that a device of that price range has to offer, go for the note with eyes closed. Plus Samsung's TouchWiz customization is really cool, and adds loads of convenience, not to mention the S-pen.

Cheers
Rohan
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods akshay_b Gadgets, Computers & Software 26179 23rd August 2017 02:05
Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet GTO Team-BHP Apps & Mobile Access 887 24th July 2017 10:07
Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari Kwanza Travelogues 25 5th June 2013 00:44
Apple's Tablet Computer History: Dating back from to 1979 srishiva Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 11th November 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks