Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2012, 10:10   #661
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I saw prices like 21k on eBay. Also u can get hold of eBay discount coupons and that can bring down price to 20k levels or even under. Of course the cover wasn't included in this but you could buy that separately as well.
Hey,

ebay discount coupons? whats that? how do i get those? I searched on ebay and i cant see any listings for ipad 2 16GB Wifi for less than 24k.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 11:11   #662
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,

ebay discount coupons? whats that? how do i get those? I searched on ebay and i cant see any listings for ipad 2 16GB Wifi for less than 24k.
You can google for ebay discount coupons or alternatively ebay also mails them to you in case you make any purchases.

Yes I checked this morning and now the cheapest seems to be 23.5k on ebay. Last month there were some sellers selling for 21k. Anyway homeshop18 is selling it for 24.5k and they have a 2000 rupees off coupon that you can use so effectively it is available for 22.5k there.

I still feel the Nexus7 at 16k is better deal than ipad2 for this kind of price!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 15:22   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Hello once again,

Back with a new query

Any Sony tablet S users in the house? I came across this on homeshop18 at a very good price of 20.5k after applying the 2k coupon. Also i got to know from the Sony site that it has the official ICS 4.0. You guys think its a worthy buy? I tried to look up on google but didnt get much reviews, may be its not that popular. I feel that in terms of screen size and resolution i found it better than the ipad2 and also i am happy with its form factor. I dont have a fixed mind set that the tablet has to be just like all others out there.

The tablet is well speced and has decent support on xda. But i dont intend to root it or anything as such. Just use it the way it us with only installing the necessary apps n games. I wanted to know if there are any users here who can shed some light on the same.

Thanks a lot.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 16:00   #664
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Hi Guys,
I am looking for a low priced tablet(< Rs.10K) with the following features:

1. 7 inches
2. Android preferably ICS
3. 1GB RAM
4. Expandable memory (USB / SD Card)
5. GPS
6. Tough (my 3 year old kiddo is going to play with it - so I hope to get my iPad back from her )

Is there anything that will fit my needs or am I being overly optimistic?
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 16:02   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l
Hello once again,

Back with a new query

Any Sony tablet S users in the house? I came across this on homeshop18 at a very good price of 20.5k after applying the 2k coupon. Also i got to know from the Sony site that it has the official ICS 4.0. You guys think its a worthy buy? I tried to look up on google but didnt get much reviews, may be its not that popular. I feel that in terms of screen size and resolution i found it better than the ipad2 and also i am happy with its form factor. I dont have a fixed mind set that the tablet has to be just like all others out there.

The tablet is well speced and has decent support on xda. But i dont intend to root it or anything as such. Just use it the way it us with only installing the necessary apps n games. I wanted to know if there are any users here who can shed some light on the same.

Thanks a lot.
Oh, finally
Yeah, its real good .
Been using it since March, and its adequately specced.
Personally, I find the display, especially for videos to be much better than any other tab/pad.

That form factor, excellent for reading on the go.

Plus, that asymmetry, and the finish,there is no other tab that looks half as good.

But hey, 20.5?
Is that the Wi-Fi only?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 16:45   #666
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Oh, finally
Yeah, its real good .
Been using it since March, and its adequately specced.
Personally, I find the display, especially for videos to be much better than any other tab/pad.

That form factor, excellent for reading on the go.

Plus, that asymmetry, and the finish,there is no other tab that looks half as good.

But hey, 20.5?
Is that the Wi-Fi only?
Thanks for the feedback sir.

yes 20.5k for wifi only model. i really dont need the wifi +3g model. 99% times going to be used in office or at home. both places wifi. And incase of useage outside, would use it tethering with my defy + or wifey's Lumia.

Link to tablet

Sony SGPT111IN/S 9.4'' Tablet (16GB, WiFi) . Buy Best Sony SGPT111IN/S 9.4'' Tablet (16GB, WiFi) at Lowest Price Online

Have you upgraded yours to ICS? How is the performance? Battery? User memory?

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 7th August 2012 at 16:47.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 18:50   #667
BHPian
 
DWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Just got my Ainol AURORA, fantastic tablet with IPS screen and gorilla glass. For 8K its perfect VFM. Also bought keyboard + cover for 600rs and works like a charm. If anyone is looking less expensive but performance packed tablet, will recommend Ainol AURORA.

Ensure you shift Feiyu rom once you get it and you are done.
Hi,

Are you sure this one has Gorilla glass as Ainol website does not mention it? Also, the corning website does not list this tab?

If yes, then it is a great buy.

Thanks,
Arvind
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 19:12   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind

Hi,

Are you sure this one has Gorilla glass

If yes, then it is a great buy.

Thanks,
Arvind
No it does not . Learnt it the hard way. I bought the ainol elf2 (it is the dual core one ) for my little daughter. She plays fruit ninja on it all the time and now it has thousands of scratches all over. All my phones have gorilla glass so it never occurred to me to get scratch guard for it.

It is still worth the money. Very good cheap tablet.

Last edited by joslicx : 7th August 2012 at 19:39.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:07   #669
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Hi,

Are you sure this one has Gorilla glass as Ainol website does not mention it? Also, the corning website does not list this tab?

If yes, then it is a great buy.

Thanks,
Arvind
Arvind: 100% yes. Check the Ainol link and browse to the question by QuickEagle Ainol Novo 7 Aurora 8GB 7 inch LG IPS Touch Screen Android 4.0 Tablet

Pasting it:
From quikeagle at 5/15/12 11:42 AM
do you use gorilla glass on any of your touch screens?
Ainol Novo:
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora use 7 inch LG IPS touch screen with gorilla glass.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
No it does not . Learnt it the hard way. I bought the ainol elf2 (it is the dual core one ) for my little daughter. She plays fruit ninja on it all the time and now it has thousands of scratches all over. All my phones have gorilla glass so it never occurred to me to get scratch guard for it.

It is still worth the money. Very good cheap tablet.
Mate: Off course ELF2 does not come with gorilla glass. Not all Ainol model comes with it except Aurora. The main reason I bought Aurora instead of ELF etc is because of gorilla glass (kids and my wife who is like a kid use it )
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012, 20:31   #670
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,044
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Thanks for the feedback sir.

yes 20.5k for wifi only model. i really dont need the wifi +3g model. 99% times going to be used in office or at home. both places wifi. And incase of useage outside, would use it tethering with my defy + or wifey's Lumia.

Link to tablet

Sony SGPT111IN/S 9.4'' Tablet (16GB, WiFi) . Buy Best Sony SGPT111IN/S 9.4'' Tablet (16GB, WiFi) at Lowest Price Online

Have you upgraded yours to ICS? How is the performance? Battery? User memory?
If you don't need 3g at all, then its good enough.
I did get the ICS update, and to be fairly frank, I feel the HC was faster.
Performance is quite rapid, only slows down for games, but just a tiny bit.
For battery you really need a third party app.
On its own, the battery lasts,with ICS, for about 2 days full, with something like 2x battery installed, this goes to 3 days.
This is with ,daily, 4-5 hours of internet mostly over 3g, hour/hour n a half of movies, and mails, notes and games etc, 30 minutes of skype video.

one gripe though.
The camera, although it takes good shots, is very slow.

memory is nice.
Ive popped in a 32gb microsd card in an adpater and most of mu content is there.
Also, do get the microusb to USB converter, you can plug in an ANY device with a USB, basically any pen drive.

One major flaw with this tab though is the charger.
Its bespoke, and its a pain to carry around.

Last edited by mayankk : 7th August 2012 at 20:32.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 15:42   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,427
Thanked: 678 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Hello All,

I am posting this query on behalf of a friend who isnt a member here. He has a BSNL Tablet "BSNL PENTA TPAD WS802C" with the below mentioned things listed in his Settings > About.

The tab is currently on HC 3.1

Android version: 3.0UI

Model number: MID_serials

Baseband version: Unknown

Kernel version:
2.6.35.7
MID Serials #293 wed dec 21 01:49:32 EST 2011

Build number:
MID Serials 20111228.144539

What we need to know is, is it possible to flash / root ICS on this to make it more user friendly than it is?

Thanks.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 8th August 2012 at 15:45.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 20:07   #672
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 255
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Has anyone tried connecting the Lenovo A07 ideapad to a USB modem?
The manual is silent about modem connectivity but no harm in giving it a shot
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 18:59   #673
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Just got my Ainol AURORA, fantastic tablet with IPS screen and gorilla glass. For 8K its perfect VFM. Also bought keyboard + cover for 600rs and works like a charm. If anyone is looking less expensive but performance packed tablet, will recommend Ainol AURORA.

Ensure you shift Feiyu rom once you get it and you are done.
Does this have GPS?
I am in the market for a relatively low cost tablet (< Rs. 10000) and need it to be GPS enabled. 3G not important, just WiFi would do.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 23:39   #674
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
Does this have GPS?
I am in the market for a relatively low cost tablet (< Rs. 10000) and need it to be GPS enabled. 3G not important, just WiFi would do.
Sorry, its not GPS enabled.
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 18:22   #675
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 310
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Anyone here has bought a Micromax Funbook Pro yet? (10 inch model @9990rs at ezone). Would be great to hear some user feedback before I go over & pick up one for a friend.
Thanks
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods akshay_b Gadgets, Computers & Software 26162 19th August 2017 20:42
Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet GTO Team-BHP Apps & Mobile Access 887 24th July 2017 10:07
Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari Kwanza Travelogues 25 5th June 2013 00:44
Apple's Tablet Computer History: Dating back from to 1979 srishiva Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 11th November 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks