Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 16:17   #706
BHPian
 
hurricanes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 40
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I have a deal for a playbook, box piece, purchased abroad, for 8000 rupees.
==========
Waiting for a fast reply as I need to close the deal soon
I'd say for the price you are getting, go for it. It's a fantastic device for watching movies and internet browsing.
hurricanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 21:20   #707
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
3. All Android apps cannot be sideloaded, hence this leaves out some great apps like Skype, which cannot be used on the PB (as of the current OS. BB OS 10 is expected to change this). For video chat, one can use online services like aol.com/video or imo.im, apart from the native BB video chat (which can only be used to chat with other PB users).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
- There are workarounds to Skype! I haven't tried as Im not a Skype user. But I read there is a huge movement of sorts happening and an official app is very near.
Here's something for you buddy!

http://drippler.com/rim/blackberry_playbook#447912
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 11:49   #708
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,637
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Ainol opens up shop in India: http://www.ainolindia.com
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 17:14   #709
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NO ID(e)A
Posts: 60
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Yes, the playbook is a very good device, does its job nicely and good VFM. But, I have had a couple of issues that irritated me. Though you could say that the fault was mine, but I have gone over the net and found that these two issues have been faced by other users also.

1. Make sure you insert the charging connector correctly. The PB's micro USB charging port metal casin is not keyed - the chargers connector can be inserted both ways. If you do it the wrong way, you can destroy the PB connector's pcb (my kid did this). You do get micro USB connectors that have keyed outer casing, so why couldn't RIM use those kind.

2. Don't let your PB's battery get completely drained out. It may get bricked. This happened to me when the northern states went through the power grid failure recently. The 2 red blips followed by a pause syndrome set in. No matter what I tried, the thing would just not re-charge. Tried all the tricks published on the net for this syndrome - no go. Finally came across a post to try and reload the OS and this worked to un-brick the PB. However, lost all the data in PB while doing so. There is some software thing that RIM has implemented that will not allow the PB to charge using the wall charger it the battery level falls beyond a certain level. Don't know why they have done such a thing.

One feature I found lacking was support for 3G/4G (this has been addressed in the new replacement PB, it supports 4G with internal SIM). I had hoped that since the unit already has micro USB hardware built in, perhaps a software upgrade could have allowed usage of external USB data dongle. But with the new PB having been released with 4G support, I doubt this is going to happen.

I just went thru the Ainol site linked in the previous post. The Aurora II and Fire tablets look very impressive and VFM considering the hardware specs. Running on Android ICS and support for 3G also. Fire supports 1280x800 resolution and Bluetooth as well.
chaudhrysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 18:29   #710
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,637
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
I just went thru the Ainol site linked in the previous post. The Aurora II and Fire tablets look very impressive and VFM considering the hardware specs. Running on Android ICS and support for 3G also. Fire supports 1280x800 resolution and Bluetooth as well.
The Fire model seems an ideal choice with its dual core, 16 GB internal and expandable memory to 32 GB, 1 GB RAM and 1200 resolution. It has 3G dongle support as well, all this is for 12K
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:14   #711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 169
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Ainol opens up shop in India: http://www.ainolindia.com
Are you sure ? Looks like some importer as they are only providing a 3 months seller warranty.
rishab.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 20:40   #712
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 82
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Guys,
Please suggest a Tablet PC for my dad. I was thinking of a 10inch screen, specs don't matter too much. Only Wi-fi w/o 3G works too. Any suggestions! I am looking at Micromax Pro, but not sure how good (or bad) it is!
bond_bhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:36   #713
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,578
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
The Fire model seems an ideal choice with its dual core, 16 GB internal and expandable memory to 32 GB, 1 GB RAM and 1200 resolution. It has 3G dongle support as well, all this is for 12K
Add the 1k for having a warranty that lasts one year as well.

but still, awesome

good q by rishab though.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 23:58   #714
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
1. Make sure you insert the charging connector correctly. The PB's micro USB charging port metal casin is not keyed - the chargers connector can be inserted both ways. If you do it the wrong way, you can destroy the PB connector's pcb (my kid did this). You do get micro USB connectors that have keyed outer casing, so why couldn't RIM use those kind.
This is the first time I'm hearing such a thing. Can you share the article where you read other users facing the same issue?

AFAIK, cables are designed one way only nowdays. Atleast I have never been able to connect my Micro USB cord the other way in my Playbook!

And like they say, there might just be a 50% chance of you inserting the USB cable wrong way, but it happens 99% of the time.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 02:40   #715
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishab.k View Post
Are you sure ? Looks like some importer as they are only providing a 3 months seller warranty.
Whats more, you have to undertake the hassle of packing it properly and taking it to the courier and paying for it and keeping track of everything. And if they don't do the job right or something, rinse, repeat. Personally, thats too much hassle. I'd not go for it.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 03:33   #716
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,578
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Whats more, you have to undertake the hassle of packing it properly and taking it to the courier and paying for it and keeping track of everything. And if they don't do the job right or something, rinse, repeat. Personally, thats too much hassle. I'd not go for it.
Whoa .. tiger.

a. People have already bought Ainol tablets - possibly they are already well engineered and have lower failure rates.
b. The service centers cover most major cities - agreed some are opening up, but its just a matter of time, no? But yes, as of now, what you said, painfully holds.

If one is that worried, there's always micromax
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 09:31   #717
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,637
Thanked: 586 Times
Default

Google nexus is similarly speced apart from quad core but in 12k u ve to get it from US n there wont be any warranty
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 11:00   #718
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NO ID(e)A
Posts: 60
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
This is the first time I'm hearing such a thing. Can you share the article where you read other users facing the same issue?

AFAIK, cables are designed one way only nowdays. Atleast I have never been able to connect my Micro USB cord the other way in my Playbook!

And like they say, there might just be a 50% chance of you inserting the USB cable wrong way, but it happens 99% of the time.
@nishant

You are right, the cables are designed that way. In my BB 9900, the connector is keyed and I cannot insert the cable the wrong way. But in my PB the connector is not keyed. So technically the cable can be inserted the wrong way. However, since the PCB of the connector of PB is not aligned with the slot in the cable, there will be some resistance. But if you push hard enough, the PCB will bend or break. My PB is a 64Gb model from the initial lot. Perhaps the connector in those models was of this type, I do't know.
chaudhrysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 02:17   #719
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Whoa .. tiger.

a. People have already bought Ainol tablets - possibly they are already well engineered and have lower failure rates.
b. The service centers cover most major cities - agreed some are opening up, but its just a matter of time, no? But yes, as of now, what you said, painfully holds.

If one is that worried, there's always micromax
Its good if they are known to have lower failure rates. But do a lot of folks here own them?

Last time I checked, there were was no service center in Poona. Wonder if the are considering one here. If they do, it sure seems a better buy than Micromax. And if one looks at complaints around, I'v never heard one good thing about Micromax's service.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 07:52   #720
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,578
Thanked: 3,322 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Its good if they are known to have lower failure rates. But do a lot of folks here own them?

Last time I checked, there were was no service center in Poona. Wonder if the are considering one here. If they do, it sure seems a better buy than Micromax. And if one looks at complaints around, I'v never heard one good thing about Micromax's service.
I learned about Ainol from TBHP only

as for Pune service center, yes, that may be a constraint in your case.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods akshay_b Gadgets, Computers & Software 26563 18th October 2017 15:16
Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet GTO Shifting gears 894 14th October 2017 15:08
Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari Kwanza Travelogues 25 5th June 2013 00:44
Apple's Tablet Computer History: Dating back from to 1979 srishiva Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 11th November 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks