Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2013, 22:15   #1036
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Is the playbook still available?
Any links would be helpful. On flipkart its out of stock, and i dont trust ebay for a tablet
Here you go
http://m.snapdeal.com/product/blackb...ource=omegatxn

http://www.tradus.com/blackberry-pla...4?utm=ibiboads
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 21:05   #1037
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I bought Karbonn cosmic Tab 10 for Rs.9900 from Ebay. Only downside is that I had to purchase a 32 GB SD card since the internal storage is quite low. Otherwise excellent with a decent battery and very good screen.
You might want to try a TouchTab. It is really value for money. Works with all the operators and costs about 8500.
areddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 23:50   #1038
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 416
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post


Any idea on when?

Thanks,

Ace.
Unfortunately BB has not announced an official release date.At the launch of the Z-10 and the BB-10, they clearly stated that they would not be launching any new tablets as of now, however all playbook's would be upgraded to BB-10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
At the cost of sounding repetitive, Playbook is still the best spec tablet at that price point. Show me another tab with same (forget better!) specs at 15k!

They pulled the first coup by officially allowing Android side loading. And now with OS10 coming its even more VFM!
I could not agree with you more. I have been using it for exactly an year now (64-GB model) and it is amazing. The screen is spectacular, the dual speakers can put any other tablet to shame and the battery back up is amazing !!

The app support is growing by the day. Its quick, fast and with the new price tag irresistible. If only it was launched at a similar price tag from the beginning, then things would have been very different now.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 17:07   #1039
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
They pulled the first coup by officially allowing Android side loading. And now with OS10 coming its even more VFM!
Can you explain how this Android side-loading works? You mean now we can load Android apps on a BB Playbook? I vaguely remember reading about this earlier but, havent tried it yet.

There are so many gadgets at home and so less time, i use my playbook very rarely these days. Just to browse some videos, that's about it

I agree, its one of the best tablets in the market and makes so much sense for a BB phone user too. I generally bridge my phone and BBM via. my playbook. Which brings me to other question, does playbook bridging allow group chats via. playbook?

Btw, BB10 upgrade for a playbook is quite old news. They have been saying it now for many months. I am just waiting for the OS upgrade release for it. Hope it happens soon

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th February 2013 at 17:11.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 19:34   #1040
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 416
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can you explain how this Android side-loading works? You mean now we can load Android apps on a BB Playbook? I vaguely remember reading about this earlier but, havent tried it yet.
HI mobike,

To install android apps onto the playbook, you first need to have DDPB installer installed on your laptop/pc. (You can also install them directly from the blackberry app world, however many of the android apps are not there.)

Then you need to download android apps suitable for the playbook onto your laptop. If i remember correctly then original android apps are .apk where as apps supported by playbook are .bar

So you need to find android apps which are converted to be used on the playbook. After you download them onto your pc, then go to the settings on your playbook and switch on development mode(Swipe down -> Security->Development mode)

After this, connect your PB to your laptop, switch on DDPB installer. This is what DDPB installer looks like :-

The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)-ddpb.jpg

Press the scan button and enter the password for your PB, after this add the files you want to install on your PB and click on Install, another window will open which will show the progress of the install . Thats it

To know from where to download android and other apps, PM me.

Also i do not think there would be any other firmware update for the PB, the next update would directly be BB-10 .
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 20:36   #1041
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You mean now we can load Android apps on a BB Playbook?
Not now, but since last 1.5 years IIRC. Only that with the OS 2 update, the Android side loading works more beautifully than ever!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
To know from where to download android and other apps, PM me.
I'll be interested to know your source site too! Pls share via PM!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 21:58   #1042
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Thanks Enigmatic for the wonderful explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
To install android apps onto the playbook, you first need to have DDPB installer installed on your laptop/pc. (You can also install them directly from the blackberry app world, however many of the android apps are not there
You say install the DDPB installer on PC and also say it can be downloaded from blackberry app world. How can you download the installer from App World to the laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Then you need to download android apps suitable for the playbook onto your laptop. If i remember correctly then original android apps are .apk where as apps supported by playbook are .bar
So once I download he DDPB installer on my laptop, I download the apps on my laptop and connect my PB to the lappy and install them as your described? Correct?

Appreciate your PM with source to download the Android Apps.

Also, Do i look for apps with .bar extention or .apk also works on PB?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 22:22   #1043
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 416
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'll be interested to know your source site too! Pls share via PM!
Sent you a PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Enigmatic for the wonderful explanation

You say install the DDPB installer on PC and also say it can be downloaded from blackberry app world. How can you download the installer from App World to the laptop?
Sorry for the confusion. What i meant to say was that the android apps can be sideloaded from the laptop to your Pb using DDPB installer and they can also be downloaded directly from the app world onto your PB without the need of DDPB installer as DDPB is a laptop software which connects your pc to your playbook. Downloading android apps from the app world to your PB is just like downloading normal apps to your pb. However DDPB allows you to install apps on your playbook which are not there on the appworld


Quote:
So once I download he DDPB installer on my laptop, I download the apps on my laptop and connect my PB to the lappy and install them as your described? Correct?
Exactly


Quote:
Appreciate your PM with source to download the Android Apps
Pm sent

Quote:
Also, Do i look for apps with .bar extention or .apk also works on PB?
Only files with .bar extension work on the PB. Android apps are originaly having .apk extension but they are converted to .bar extension by the app developers to run on the pb. You only need to search for .bar files. Conversion on our level is not possible unless you are a app developer.






Note from Team-BHP Support: Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. For the correct way to quote, please see this thread (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP). Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th February 2013 at 19:53. Reason: See note in post
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 13:21   #1044
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PUNE
Posts: 16
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Great offer for the Micromax Funbook on The Mobile store, Rs. 3499/-

http://www.themobilestore.in/mobiles...03-78886190083
LOKSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2013, 14:19   #1045
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PUNE
Posts: 16
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Sorry for posting it back to back, as could not find the edit option in my earlier post.

Saw some one enquiring about the BB Playbook

Here is a great deal on the 16GB, but no idea how the site is

http://www.grabmore.in/products/8029...blet-16GB.html
LOKSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 13:07   #1046
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Press the scan button and enter the password for your PB, after this add the files you want to install on your PB and click on Install, another window will open which will show the progress of the install
When I connect the PB to Laptop and type the password in DDPB installer.

I get an error message

"java" is not recognized as an internal or external command

What do I do now?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 20:44   #1047
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
To know from where to download android and other apps, PM me.
Thanks for the links. I have had my Playbook for a year now but had never ventured into side loading. Used it only for browsing, videos and streaming movies via HDMI. Served its purpose well. Last night side loaded close to 30 apps, while some didn't, most of them worked fine.

Also noticed that a new update is available - Version 2.1.0.1526. Not sure if i should be updating especially after the last one which has made the browser a tad buggy.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 22:34   #1048
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 416
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
When I connect the PB to Laptop and type the password in DDPB installer.

I get an error message

"java" is not recognized as an internal or external command

What do I do now?
Do you put your PB into development mode before connecting it to the PC??

If yes, then do you have java run-time environment installed on your PC ?? If not then go to java.com and click "free java download".

If after following the above, you still get the error message then try the following :-

Right click on "Computer" on the desktop or start menu.

Choose "Properties"

Click "Advanced System Settings"

Choose the "Advanced" tab

Click on "Environment Variables" button

In the lower of the two boxes, scroll till you see "PATH"

Highlight PATH and click "Edit"

Leave "Variable Name" as Path

In the "Variable Value" field, scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE END paste in the following line (including the semi-colon at the beginning)

;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin

Click "OK" on all open windows

Reboot

Should work now


Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Thanks for the links. I have had my Playbook for a year now but had never ventured into side loading. Used it only for browsing, videos and streaming movies via HDMI. Served its purpose well. Last night side loaded close to 30 apps, while some didn't, most of them worked fine.

Also noticed that a new update is available - Version 2.1.0.1526. Not sure if i should be updating especially after the last one which has made the browser a tad buggy.
I would say go ahead with the update, although i haven't had a chance to update my PB since i don't have Wi-fi as of now. But i think the new update should fix the browser bug.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2013, 10:48   #1049
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,515
Thanked: 7,189 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Do you put your PB into development mode before connecting it to the PC?? If yes, then do you have java run-time environment installed on your PC ?? If not then go to java.com and click "free java download".
Thanks. Apparently my home laptop didnt have Java. I downloaded and it resolved the problem.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 00:08   #1050
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Samsung's Answer to Ipad Mini : Note 8.0

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods akshay_b Gadgets, Computers & Software 26159 17th August 2017 13:55
Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet GTO Team-BHP Apps & Mobile Access 887 24th July 2017 10:07
Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari Kwanza Travelogues 25 5th June 2013 00:44
Apple's Tablet Computer History: Dating back from to 1979 srishiva Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 11th November 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks