Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:11   #1186
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Can someone recommend a good Hybrid(Tab+keyboard) for roundabout 25k?
iPad 2 + a decent Keyboard should be near about 27K.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2013, 21:54   #1187
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
iPad 2 + a decent Keyboard should be near about 27K.
I was keeping that as the final, safe, bet.

What about the transformer? I actually like the finish on that, and since it's for the missus, form will rule over function.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:42   #1188
BHPian
 
arjithin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BGLR/Chalakudy
Posts: 840
Thanked: 709 Times
Default

I own an Acer a200 tablet. My daughter dropped it and the display is cracked. the display is working, but touch function is not working. Anyone has suggestions on where to source a replacement or get it serviced in Bglr?
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:10   #1189
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Nobody's talking about the Note 8 here? At around 27K it is a decent buy.
One negative point about the Note 10 that I noticed is that the speakers are not loud enough for watching movies, unless you are in a quiet environment.

Got a OTG cable for the tablet and used pen drives to copy files.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 20:03   #1190
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 125
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I recently purchased Samsung Tab 2 3100 ( the one with Sim and Wifi)
I want to know, can any normal USB keyboard connect with this Tab, with appropriate OTG cable?

If yes, can somebody suggest a small but a rugged and sturdy keyboard.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2013, 23:52   #1191
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,489
Thanked: 8,383 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

I surely dont know what all things a tablet can be used for. But for me, surely news reading has fully become a tablet activity. Unless and untill its some thing good on the editorial, most news is consumed on the tablet.

Any colour pictures based books bought in Amazon for kindle is consumed here. And definitely its the best highway companion. Next target for me would be to find a way to download all the GPS logs on to the tab. So that my old GPS PND Garmin device does not overflow and lose the already logged information. I currently manage the same by carrying a net book and downloading the logs on to the netbook.

Last edited by ampere : 6th May 2013 at 23:53.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 08:21   #1192
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Nobody's talking about the Note 8 here? At around 27K it is a decent buy.
One negative point about the Note 10 that I noticed is that the speakers are not loud enough for watching movies, unless you are in a quiet environment.

Got a OTG cable for the tablet and used pen drives to copy files.
Where is it available for 27K? On another note(pun unintended), where is it available?

I visited the Samsung SmartCafe and another leading shop in my city on Sunday, and the Samsung shop claimed that it would be available After Tuesday, so will check today and tomorrow.

Though, finally I went to the best shop in the city(on Sunday itself), and found 5 pieces in stock with them. But sadly, there was no Demo piece. I ain't gonna throw 30K without a demo first, especially need to get the measure of how big (or how compact) it really is.Also they were selling it at the launch price of 30,900.

Even online most retailers have this price, but some have 29,900. SO could you please share how could I get it for 27K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I recently purchased Samsung Tab 2 3100 ( the one with Sim and Wifi)
I want to know, can any normal USB keyboard connect with this Tab, with appropriate OTG cable?

If yes, can somebody suggest a small but a rugged and sturdy keyboard.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
JLS
Yes, you just need to buy the OTG cable.
You can also look at some OEM samsung keyboards, but after getting an OTG cable, most keyboards would work just fine. You can find some on eBay that also act as a cover for about 500/-

Last edited by agambhandari : 7th May 2013 at 08:45.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 09:25   #1193
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I recently purchased Samsung Tab 2 3100 ( the one with Sim and Wifi)
I want to know, can any normal USB keyboard connect with this Tab, with appropriate OTG cable?

If yes, can somebody suggest a small but a rugged and sturdy keyboard.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
JLS
Go for something like this:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/USB-KEYBOARD-...item27cfb1f2d6

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 10:40   #1194
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Where is it available for 27K? On another note(pun unintended), where is it available?
Until a few days ago, it was available here (pre-order):

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-NOTE-510-

Use coupon D0DHIBDDAN to get for Rs. 26490

Now that listing has ended, the next best option (higher price) is here

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-Galax...t_11684wt_1139
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 12:40   #1195
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Until a few days ago, it was available here (pre-order):

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-NOTE-510-

Use coupon D0DHIBDDAN to get for Rs. 26490

Now that listing has ended, the next best option (higher price) is here

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Samsung-Galax...t_11684wt_1139
I can't wait over 20 days for it. I had also seen the older pre book on eBay, but I believe pre-booking for any thing is not justified unless you have checked out the product in flesh. Even though, the seller is very close to me, I don't trust eBay(or rather its sellers) enough to pay 27K. Most probably, I will be able to get a demo this week.
Probably buy it there or order it online then, but not from eBay. Classic showrooming!
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 17:22   #1196
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
FLAME is an awesome tablet for its price! seriously. (last week I checked it was at 9K!)
....

If you have waited till now -
a newer options I see with Ainol is the 9inch tablet!
IT HAS A RETINA display!
Check it out!
seems like REALLY the best deal in Ainol tabs.
How is your Ainol Flame performing?

I am considering Ainol Dream 8 (for Rs. 9000 with coupon). The specs are decent, though there is no real review that I have come across.
It does not have GPS and BT, but I don't need those.
The screen and battery both seem to be good for casual gaming and watching movies. I need a loud speaker too.




Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I can't wait over 20 days for it. I had also seen the older pre book on eBay, but I believe pre-booking for any thing is not justified unless you have checked out the product in flesh.
Ok. No problem.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 19:55   #1197
BHPian
 
raj.barcode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 678
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Recently picked up iPad 4, it is first time moved out of android feels really fresh and nice
raj.barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 23:21   #1198
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 378 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

How is the Blackberry Playbook 32GB, Wifi only version for 11K?

http://www.grabmore.in/products/8029...blet-32GB.html

Any thoughts about the "international warranty" part mentioned on that site?



I am considering this mainly for:
1. Good sound quality
2. Good screen
3. Long lasting battery 5300 mAh

This can act as a portable video player (in car entertainment for the kids) though the screen is a tad small at 7".

The other use is installing educational software and games which my kid can play with and learn something.

The apps are limited, but I think there is still a decent collection on the store. Since Android 2.3 apps can be sideloaded, it helps somewhat further.

Edit: On second thoughts, is it possible to have Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail configured on the PB? I don't think the Android apps for these three email systems will work with PB.

Last edited by S_U_N : 8th May 2013 at 23:22.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 15:10   #1199
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How is the Blackberry Playbook 32GB, Wifi only version for 11K?

http://www.grabmore.in/products/8029...blet-32GB.html

Any thoughts about the "international warranty" part mentioned on that site?



I am considering this mainly for:
1. Good sound quality
2. Good screen
3. Long lasting battery 5300 mAh

This can act as a portable video player (in car entertainment for the kids) though the screen is a tad small at 7".

The other use is installing educational software and games which my kid can play with and learn something.

The apps are limited, but I think there is still a decent collection on the store. Since Android 2.3 apps can be sideloaded, it helps somewhat further.

Edit: On second thoughts, is it possible to have Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail configured on the PB? I don't think the Android apps for these three email systems will work with PB.
ALthough, it says you can sideload Android apps, not all work smoothly. and the native apps are pretty less. Also it is not that easy to load android apps, you always need to get an apk and load it using a PC.

If you want Android apps, stick to Android budget tabs, most of them come with 4.1 and are pretty fast with dual core processors and a Gig of RAM.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 15:22   #1200
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 423
Thanked: 515 Times
Default Re: The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
How is the Blackberry Playbook 32GB, Wifi only version for 11K?

http://www.grabmore.in/products/8029...blet-32GB.html

Any thoughts about the "international warranty" part mentioned on that site?



I am considering this mainly for:
1. Good sound quality
2. Good screen
3. Long lasting battery 5300 mAh

This can act as a portable video player (in car entertainment for the kids) though the screen is a tad small at 7".

The other use is installing educational software and games which my kid can play with and learn something.

The apps are limited, but I think there is still a decent collection on the store. Since Android 2.3 apps can be sideloaded, it helps somewhat further.

Edit: On second thoughts, is it possible to have Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail configured on the PB? I don't think the Android apps for these three email systems will work with PB.

I have been using the playbook for over an year now .

For 11k go for it. It is an amazingly capable tablet.
Sideloading android apps is amazingly easy. And most of the apps work.
However i must accept the native apps are less .

Also it has awesome speakers , the battery back up is amongst the best and the form factor is just perfect .

I would say do consider it as a serious option.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods akshay_b Gadgets, Computers & Software 26579 24th October 2017 13:05
Team-BHP App for your Android Phone & Tablet GTO Shifting gears 894 14th October 2017 15:08
Masai Mara - A Quintessential African Safari Kwanza Travelogues 25 5th June 2013 00:44
Apple's Tablet Computer History: Dating back from to 1979 srishiva Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 11th November 2010 12:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks