Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th August 2011, 13:50   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Apple sues Samsung and now HTC

If you read ZDNews then no pad may be kosher. Apple may have blocked all of them.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 18:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
And now this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 blocked in Europe - Telegraph

If Samsung does succeed in the case, would it be compensated for the 1 month's sale?

Usually not - that is why companies acquire patents - if Samsung could counter-sue successfully Apple would hurt even more.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 10:12   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Now Google had bought out the Mobile division of Motorola. According to Ziff Davis this is part of the 'Core Patent' war. Apple and Microsoft have joined up and bought the last two patents. So Google is taking this route.

Of course Android vendors are worried. So you may see some activity of Bada, etc. htc is toying with the idea of floating Sense as a separate division.

Interesting time ahead!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:26   #169
Team-BHP Support

What I dont understand:

One side Apple sues Samsung. But they also source memory from them.
How are these two sided actions happening?

I guess, whichever action translates to money, has to continue.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 01:04   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What I dont understand:

One side Apple sues Samsung. But they also source memory from them.
How are these two sided actions happening?

I guess, whichever action translates to money, has to continue.

Apple sources Flash memory and processor from Samsung. The second one is actually a proprietary design of Apple (another company acquired by Apple) which is manufactured by Samsung.

Also quite a bit of other chips are built by Samsung's semiconductor arm. In general over 1/3rd of the chips by value (that go into iPad and iPhone) are made by Samsung - and quite a but if the rest is NOT critical component.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly as I was reading this forum I remembered reading this yesterday!!!

Samsung is going to claim that the iPad or similar device was invented in the 2001 Space Odyssey movie by Stanley Kubrick.

Here's the link

Samsung Citing Stanley Kubrick in iPad Patent Fight -- Daily Intel
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:00   #172
BHPian

BREAKING NEWS : Apple has won an injunction against Samsung in the court in Netherlands. As a result, Samsung will have to stop selling the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy S II in the whole of Europe from mid october.

Apple had filed a case saying the above phones violated 3 of its patents. The judge dismissed 2 of those but found that Samsung violated one of those patents and has agreed to put a complete ban on those 3 Samsung phones.

And guess what patent Samsung has been found to violate? The "revolutionary" swipe to unlock feature . It is worthwhile to note that Samsung uses a different system to unlock the phone, which is different to Apples' . But Apple applied and got a very generic patent which means that whichever gesture you use to unlock the phone, it would violate Apple's patents.

Next, they will sue TV manufacturers for making rectangular objects with big screen :| .

Last edited by Newpunter : 24th August 2011 at 19:02.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:43   #173
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
As a result, Samsung will have to stop selling the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy S II in the whole of Europe from mid october.

The "revolutionary" swipe to unlock feature .
They can always tweak. Again patent violation is how photos/Gallery displayed! Nothing to do with unlock feature (as per BBC, CNet), which anyway part of Android. This means there will be android update soon or case from Google that patent is invalid as it is too generic! Apple itself is in fix to go after google as google too has war chest due to Motorola patents!

It must also noted that Apple failed to convince court that Galaxy series too much looks like IPhone... which all by means most of tablet war also go for toss!

Last edited by RaguHolla : 25th August 2011 at 08:44.
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:39   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS : Apple has won an injunction against Samsung in the court in Netherlands. As a result, Samsung will have to stop selling the Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S and Galaxy S II in the whole of Europe from mid october.

Apple had filed a case saying the above phones violated 3 of its patents. The judge dismissed 2 of those but found that Samsung violated one of those patents and has agreed to put a complete ban on those 3 Samsung phones.

And guess what patent Samsung has been found to violate? The "revolutionary" swipe to unlock feature . It is worthwhile to note that Samsung uses a different system to unlock the phone, which is different to Apples' . But Apple applied and got a very generic patent which means that whichever gesture you use to unlock the phone, it would violate Apple's patents.

Next, they will sue TV manufacturers for making rectangular objects with big screen :| .
doesnt android as a whole have swipe to unlock?
so next is what?(excuse the pun)
No android in europe?

what about sony's own pattern unlock, thats also a sort of swipe to unlock.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:01   #175
BHPian

Sorry guys. I didn't have the complete information when i made that post.
Actually, this court decision can be said to be a victory for Samsung rather than Apple.
The court threw out all of Apple's claims but only agreed to one claim. This is the scrolling system in the photo browser. Samsung has said that they would change this immediately, so they won't be affected by this. This decision has also given Samsung a lot of ammunition for their court case in Germany which starts today. The court has rejected Apple's design patent for a rectangle with a screen and also the swipe to unlock patent.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:54   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys. I didn't have the complete information when i made that post.
Actually, this court decision can be said to be a victory for Samsung rather than Apple.
The court threw out all of Apple's claims but only agreed to one claim. This is the scrolling system in the photo browser. Samsung has said that they would change this immediately, so they won't be affected by this. This decision has also given Samsung a lot of ammunition for their court case in Germany which starts today. The court has rejected Apple's design patent for a rectangle with a screen and also the swipe to unlock patent.

that's what I was thinking too - despite what media was shouting Apple actually lost (while claiming victory) the case.

Another thing you haven't mentioned here - Apple sued to block both smartphone and tablets. The tablet part of the lawsuit was thrown out absolutely, only the smartphone part did Apple get a "victory" on one of the three claims.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:18   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
that's what I was thinking too - despite what media was shouting Apple actually lost (while claiming victory) the case.

Another thing you haven't mentioned here - Apple sued to block both smartphone and tablets. The tablet part of the lawsuit was thrown out absolutely, only the smartphone part did Apple get a "victory" on one of the three claims.

Are you sure? I already posted the news pertaining to ban of tablets before, earlier this page.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...in-Europe.html

And now this news about ban on smartphones: Apple wins ban on Samsung phones in EU - The Times of India

I mean, though Apple lost two cases of three, the phones and tablets are still banned until next hearing, no?

Last edited by anilisanil : 25th August 2011 at 11:22.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:36   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Are you sure? I already posted the news pertaining to ban of tablets before, earlier this page.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 blocked in Europe - Telegraph

And now this news about ban on smartphones: Apple wins ban on Samsung phones in EU - The Times of India

I mean, though Apple lost two cases of three, the phones and tablets are still banned until next hearing, no?
Samsung gets boost from Dutch court, Jobs resignation | Reuters

"Samsung scored what it claims is a partial victory in the Netherlands on Wednesday after a court ruled its smartphones Galaxy S, S II and Ace had broken just one of three patents at issue. The court said it found no infringement for Samsung's tablets."

The TOI article you linked to also says the same thing.

The Telegraph article (actually an opinion piece) is about the order of injunction from a German court, that also mentions the dutch lawsuit alluded to above, and for some reason seems to imply in the very first line that sales will have to stop in UK too.

Last edited by vina : 25th August 2011 at 11:42.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:40   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Samsung gets boost from Dutch court, Jobs resignation | Reuters

"Samsung scored what it claims is a partial victory in the Netherlands on Wednesday after a court ruled its smartphones Galaxy S, S II and Ace had broken just one of three patents at issue. The court said it found no infringement for Samsung's tablets."
Vina, my point was about the phones and tablets being still banned from sale.

I for one read the news that 10.1 should not be sold in EU as directed by a German court and now the smartphones are not to be sold until the photo browsing feature is removed.

So poor samsung is still treated unfairly by blocked sales.

Edit: The phones are banned only in Nederlands, I was thinking whole of EU. Apple seems to have a lot of fan following in media!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 25th August 2011 at 11:42.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:45   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apple's design patent for a rectangle with a screen.
They got a patent for that?
Man I am also now going to file patents.

Seriously Apple is going the MS way. Not staying ahead by innovating but by dragging others back.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote