Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th April 2011, 00:23   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Apple sues Samsung and now HTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So, what was Apple doing with the patents from the 1990s when they filed the applications to 2002/4 when the patents were granted, and then till 2006 when the iPhone was actually announced?
Check the priority date on the patent. That is the date of invention.

Date of application will be within one year of that (though I'm not sure that'll show up in the granted patent document).

Date of grant can be years after the application (excessive workload on the patent office thanks to bullshit patents like Apple's - every one is doing that and often more than Apple - this is the reason they don't look so closely on the innovativeness criteria these days)

Patent runs out 20yrs after priority date.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 10:40   #92
BHPian

There have been several replies to my post, and i want to clarify some things.

First of all, I am no legal expert, and all my experiences with patents have been as a technologist. So, perhaps, i am not always right when i breach the line (the so called line between technical stuff and legal stuff). So take my inputs with a pinch of salt.
I would take your inputs as constructive critisism.

Secondly, the wordings of my original post was pretty loose as someone pointed out - i agree to that. I am not a legal guy ...
My point was mainly that, sometimes a layman might not find any invention, but laywers can word it in such a way that they find something unique which has never been done before. I have seen patents that were just some simple algorithms, but they were granted patents. It seems to me that its all in the wordings of the lawyers.

Thirdly, the point about "patenting the experience" - i agree that i was a little overboard here ( )
deep_bang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:34   #93
Senior - BHPian

deep_bang - I suggest you visit groklaw.net. Go through their coverage of patent law suits. It is a very educating experience.

And err...my earlier question about date of commencement of patent was not out of ignorance. Sorry; but my point is - the claims are purely software based; independent of the device and its size. So, would not stand the test laid down by the US supreme court in Bilski.

The US at least has a transparent and comparatively quick legal system. I am wondering what is going to happen to Apple in Japan, Korea and elsewhere where Samsung has taken Apple to court.

Firstly, AFAIK, Japan is biggest market for iPod.

Secondly, not much is known about* the legal systems of these countries outside those countries. Japan of course, is an exception; but Apple being a US based company, is going to find it tough to parse what is happening in JP and other venues where they have been hit with lawsuits. Apart from the language barriers, there are conceptual and cultural barriers.

* I mean to the legal experts in the English speaking common law a legal term world
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 18:17   #94
BHPian

Got me thinking after I read all the posts here.

- Why was there a flurry of smartfones in the market after iPhone was released (and succeeded)?

- And why is there a flurry of tablets (which are supposedly better than iPads) once the iPad was released?

And am sure Samsung and HTC and the likes are eagerly waiting for the iPhone 5, to rip it open and see what it has inside. Why do they have to wait for Apple to come up with new products and then make replicas of it and then claim that Apple's designs are not original. And the truth is, Apple spends on R&D, finding out what is usable, sell-able and does all the marketing, and all that Samsung and the likes have to do is manufacture imitations.

ps: Also I guess people are picking up a few words like "square with round edges" from the lawsuit and making fun of Apple. The point is not whether both of them are square or has round edges, but they look strikingly similar. HTC phones are also square and has round edges, but they do not look like copies of iPhones.

Last edited by civic-sense : 29th April 2011 at 18:19.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 19:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

^^
so by all rights, ford(or insert benz or someone) should cry foul at each and every manufacturer in the world?

c'mon, its the dynamics of the open market.
everybody wants to make that which sells.
you cannot say by any means that apple didn't benefit from their r&d and marketing.
the "i" gen has probably been for apple what the Taurus was for ford.
There's pro-apple guys here, unlike me who likes neither(but have used both) who agree that some of apple's claims seem infantine.

I just wish they had more confidence in the ability of their product to command.
it IS good, and and incomparable in usage to any next nearest copy.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 20:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

Apple apologists:

Apple stole technology from Motorala? Apple "collaborated" with Motorola when the latter was designing Rokr and then ended the collaboraton and within a year developed iPhone.

Cellphones were complex enough at that time that even a company like Apple couldn't have made a phone all by themselves in a short duration like that.

I don't see any raging discussions on that one.
Old 29th April 2011, 23:54   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

- Why was there a flurry of smartfones in the market after iPhone was released (and succeeded)?
Scroll back few posts back and you may see what i posted on this.
Anyway in beginning of decade processing power was expensive after ARM9 architecture Samsung release SC6400 processor which was used in iPhone and it was possible to support jazzy UI. Before this smart-phone was a costly device for a manager so was black in color and with more business like UI.

Secondly Apple had cult following which made few things possible for Apple which no manufacturer could have done without inviting hate mails and trashing from knowall blogger on various tech sites.
1. Apple fans accepted a non-user replaceable battery making it possible to have very slim profile. This was unthinkable for others as phone meant battery life. Once users accepted that it is perfectly OK for phones to consume lots of power it became easier for whole industry.Thanks to those who stood in ques to buy apple to open this possibility.

2. Apple fans accepted a 2G only phone when others were busy with full force on HSDPA and HSUPA commercialization and development team were busy writing LTS stack and preparing chip-sets ( First LTE phone is being released in market by Samusng and chipset and stack is in-house)

3. Nokia was only one who used to make non-operator specific phones ( open phones) and their market share was just 6% in USA which was operator dominated market. Samsung and others made phones for operators so the features were dictated by them for example excellent camera and no way to download images except costly MMS because operator is paying for development. Huge cult following of Apple made it possible for them to break this and introduce concept of phone for which consumer pays 200$ upfront which was unheard in USA phones were bundled with upfront payment of 10$ max in operator contract. This was impossible for any Nokia or Samsung in USA.

Quote:
- And why is there a flurry of tablets (which are supposedly better than iPads) once the iPad was released?
Again scroll back and check iPad was not first it was called UMPC but failed in US and European market Apples acceptability makes it possible for them to make it mainstream.

Quote:
And am sure Samsung and HTC and the likes are eagerly waiting for the iPhone 5, to rip it open and see what it has inside. Why do they have to wait for Apple to come up with new products and then make replicas of it and then claim that Apple's designs are not original. And the truth is, Apple spends on R&D, finding out what is usable, sell-able and does all the marketing, and all that Samsung and the likes have to do is manufacture imitations.
While competition benchmarking is done in all the industry and Apple UI trends is being followed this is simply not true. Probably you don't know how cellphones are developed.

Do you think Apple does not copy ? few Examples

1. What apple released as facetime in 2009 was commercialized as Video Share in 2006 by Samsung

2. Apples "find my iphone" was available on low end Samsung phones in India as mobile tracker feature and there is a patent for it as well. It is one of the most valuable patent from Samsung India Software operations. I am sure if patent war deepens this will be invoked.

3. MMS was not there in iPhone until iPhone 3

4. Clipboard copy and paste was introduced with iPhone 3 , clearly copied from elsewhere.

5. The kernel of MacOS and iOS is actually freeBSD , the additions/modifications Apple never bothered to publish back taking advantage of BSD license though not legally incorrect but breaks spirit of opensource.

6 .Check the 10 patents for which Samsung has sued apple including wireless teetering

It is 10 for 10 but I am sure in patent war if number is upped it will even out

Quote:
ps: Also I guess people are picking up a few words like "square with round edges" from the lawsuit and making fun of Apple. The point is not whether both of them are square or has round edges, but they look strikingly similar. HTC phones are also square and has round edges, but they do not look like copies of iPhones.
This is marketing Gimmick from Apple , They just want to project image of innovator in home market because Galaxy S2 is beating iPhone 5 in release schedule so all delaying tactics are being employed.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th April 2011 at 23:58.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 00:53   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

By that Logic Maruti Suzuki should sue every car maker who got into the small car market in India because before Maruti 800 nobody knew what a small car was
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 01:05   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Anyway in beginning of decade processing power was expensive after ARM9 architecture Samsung release SC6400 processor which was used in iPhone and it was possible to support jazzy UI. Before this smart-phone was a costly device for a manager so was black in color and with more business like UI.

Secondly Apple had cult following which made few things possible for Apple which no manufacturer could have done without inviting hate mails and trashing from knowall blogger on various tech sites.
1. Apple fans accepted a non-user replaceable battery making it possible to have very slim profile. This was unthinkable for others as phone meant battery life. Once users accepted that it is perfectly OK for phones to consume lots of power it became easier for whole industry.Thanks to those who stood in ques to buy apple to open this possibility.

2. Apple fans accepted a 2G only phone when others were busy with full force on HSDPA and HSUPA commercialization and development team were busy writing LTS stack and preparing chip-sets ( First LTE phone is being released in market by Samusng and chipset and stack is in-house)

3. Nokia was only one who used to make non-operator specific phones ( open phones) and their market share was just 6% in USA which was operator dominated market. Samsung and others made phones for operators so the features were dictated by them for example excellent camera and no way to download images except costly MMS because operator is paying for development. Huge cult following of Apple made it possible for them to break this and introduce concept of phone for which consumer pays 200$ upfront which was unheard in USA phones were bundled with upfront payment of 10$ max in operator contract. This was impossible for any Nokia or Samsung in USA.

Again scroll back and check iPad was not first it was called UMPC but failed in US and European market Apples acceptability makes it possible for them to make it mainstream.

While competition benchmarking is done in all the industry and Apple UI trends is being followed this is simply not true. Probably you don't know how cellphones are developed.

Do you think Apple does not copy ? few Examples

1. What apple released as facetime in 2009 was commercialized as Video Share in 2006 by Samsung

2. Apples "find my iphone" was available on low end Samsung phones in India as mobile tracker feature and there is a patent for it as well. It is one of the most valuable patent from Samsung India Software operations. I am sure if patent war deepens this will be invoked.

4. Clipboard copy and paste was introduced with iPhone 3 , clearly copied from elsewhere.

5. The kernel of MacOS and iOS is actually freeBSD , the additions/modifications Apple never bothered to publish back taking advantage of BSD license though not legally incorrect but breaks spirit of opensource.

6 .Check the 10 patents for which Samsung has sued apple including wireless teetering

It is 10 for 10 but I am sure in patent war if number is upped it will even out

This is marketing Gimmick from Apple , They just want to project image of innovator in home market because Galaxy S2 is beating iPhone 5 in release schedule so all delaying tactics are being employed.

Brilliant summary of exactly what has happened over the years.

I was in the thick of mobile market in late 2006 to early 2009 and can attest to everything you have written.

Years ago (1998-99) I used to wonder why Microsoft was hated so much. I'm not a fan either, but there was just too much peer pressure and even guys who needed help in logging into a computer would make jokes about Microsoft.

These days the phenomenon acts in reverse for Apple (though Google, which could do no wrong, is starting to get a hater-following).

Getting back to the point, though most of this is irrelevant to the consumer we must be thankful for Apple to actually create this market. for the reasons you have written above, nobody else could have done it (though most Apple lovers don't know that people did try) without the Apple cult.
Old 30th April 2011, 09:35   #100
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, simputer came first.

Why no comparisons between simputer and iPad?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 09:45   #101
BHPian

First things first, I am not an apple fanboy. The iPhone that I bought 3 years ago, is lying unused at home as I don't like it. I use a HTC and a blackberry.

By getting into the a debate of who is copying from where, you all are missing the point. When Apple is saying is that Samsung has made a look-alike of the iPhone. Means, Samsung is trying to cash in on the success of iPhone by selling a look-alike device. They didn't sue HTC or LG or Nokia for using capacitive screens or phones that look square with rounded edges. The point is, like what some Chinese manufacturers do, they made a blatant copy of the iPhone. And Apple has a point.

The Maruti 800 argument doesn't hold any water here cos, I didn't see anybody selling a Maruti 800 look-alike after its success in the 80s.

Now about iPhones being inferior products as far as technology is concerned, I agree. Clearly, an iPhone or an iPad is not for me. I like better flexibility in my phone which the iDevices do not provide. But having said that, I do not represent every smartphone wannabe. There are people who are willing to look beyond the limitations for a smartphone that is useable.

If the IOS ecosystem is a closed one, there are reasons for that.

1) Because of all the restrictions imposed, the IOS is still a very secure system. Android has a huge malware problem. According to Kaspersky: Android phones now face 70 types of malware, Kaspersky reports - GSMArena.com news
2) Even with all the mediocre hardware, an iPhone is much more responsive than an Android. My 1ghz HTC "monster" is laggy while running Android, but the 412mhz iPhone was much more responsive.

Yes, I know that there are people who buy iPhones because it is cool, but not everybody would stick to it if it is not usable.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 12:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The point is, like what some Chinese manufacturers do, they made a blatant copy of the iPhone. And Apple has a point.
Well Apple does have a point in that, and I don't think anybody is denying that. The question is whether it merits going to the courts.

Also when copying key components, technologies and know how, vs. copying the looks - the difference is only in degree and not in principal.

But the most important part here is whether Apple has a legal standing and why is Apple suing people - and that is what is under debate (there is no resolution possible for such debates - )
Old 30th April 2011, 13:49   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
IIRC, simputer came first.

Why no comparisons between simputer and iPad?
Wasn't there already devices like Compaq iPAQ based on windows mobile present during Simputer's time?
The innovation with Apple was using your fingers and not a stalk and a new kind of UI.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 14:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it incredible that new mobile phone manufacturer could make use of all the advancements in hardware technology while stalwarts like Nokia & Samsung were stuck to the 'business like' black & white UI and they still would have if not for Apple? The best screen, the best multi touch experience, highest resolution screen, hardware accelerated UI, some truly innovative multi touch gestures, close to desktop like browsing on a mobile device is not good enough?

Quote:
Blackberry executives were bamboozled when Steve Jobs displayed the first gen iPhone. They were thinking that either it doesn't performs as shown or will have a truly dreadful battery life both of which were untrue. RIM still don't have an OS that can complete with the iOS experience.

Quote:
It was 2.5G anways. What would you have done with all that data speed in HTML browser and no apps? The point is that Apple is not a networking technology company but a device manufacturer.

Quote:
Can you anwer why Apple has a cult following and not Nokia or Samsung or any other company? The fact is that Nokia or Samsung are not in a position that they could exploit the market and you can't blame Apple for doing that. If you can you will.... as simple as that.

Quote:
Lets face it then, before iPad you had no other tablet which could be deemed acceptable by the users.

Quote:
I don't have any idea about this but I don't think there was any app before FaceTime on any device that you could use right out of the box without fiddling with settings.

Quote:
I am not sure but Apple's find my phone service can locate and then display the position of your phone on a Map and I don't think Samsung's implementation lets you do that. I may be wrong here though.

Quote:
So?

Quote:
I genuinely would like to know where it was copied from. The whole experience including the magnifier on the screen which lets you place your cursor precisely and then the other anchor tab which again has a magnifier which lets you place the cursor to the end precisely. Is there any other copy and paste implementation on a mobile OS that lets you copy both multimedia and text?

Quote:
iOS was never meant to be an open source software so I can't see why you have a problem with that.

Quote:
Too far fetched my friend. We all know what iPhone 5 hardware will comprise of and for your information it will have the same dual core processor and the same uber powerful GPU from iPad 2 but the most interesting bit is that Apple's strength isn't hardware but its software. I am sure with iOS 5 and new uber powerful hardware in iPhone 5, the competition will go back to drawing board once again. Apple needn't be afraid of Samsung as they are mostly a hardware manufacturer and get pre cooked OS from Google. Dont we all know how dreadful the TouchWiz UI is?
For me the true innovation in terms of OS has come from Microsoft Windows Phone 7 which has truly revolutionary UI concepts and implementation. If not for the developer support, the Android UI isnt much more polished than Symbian^3, the smartphone OS problem child. They are also headed towards the handheld gaming device market which is why Sony and Nintendo are afraid, really afraid.

Last edited by akhilesh : 30th April 2011 at 14:21.
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2011, 14:51   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Isn't it incredible that new mobile phone manufacturer could make use of all the advancements in hardware technology while stalwarts like Nokia & Samsung were stuck to the 'business like' black & white UI and they still would have if not for Apple? The best screen, the best multi touch experience, highest resolution screen, hardware accelerated UI, some truly innovative multi touch gestures, close to desktop like browsing on a mobile device is not good enough?

Blackberry executives were bamboozled when Steve Jobs displayed the first gen iPhone. They were thinking that either it doesn't performs as shown or will have a truly dreadful battery life both of which were untrue. RIM still don't have an OS that can complete with the iOS experience.

It was 2.5G anways. What would you have done with all that data speed in HTML browser and no apps? The point is that Apple is not a networking technology company but a device manufacturer.

Can you anwer why Apple has a cult following and not Nokia or Samsung or any other company? The fact is that Nokia or Samsung are not in a position that they could exploit the market and you can't blame Apple for doing that. If you can you will.... as simple as that.

Lets face it then, before iPad you had no other tablet which could be deemed acceptable by the users.

I don't have any idea about this but I don't think there was any app before FaceTime on any device that you could use right out of the box without fiddling with settings.

I am not sure but Apple's find my phone service can locate and then display the position of your phone on a Map and I don't think Samsung's implementation lets you do that. I may be wrong here though.

So?

I genuinely would like to know where it was copied from. The whole experience including the magnifier on the screen which lets you place your cursor precisely and then the other anchor tab which again has a magnifier which lets you place the cursor to the end precisely. Is there any other copy and paste implementation on a mobile OS that lets you copy both multimedia and text?

iOS was never meant to be an open source software so I can't see why you have a problem with that.

Too far fetched my friend. We all know what iPhone 5 hardware will comprise of and for your information it will have the same dual core processor and the same uber powerful GPU from iPad 2 but the most interesting bit is that Apple's strength isn't hardware but its software. I am sure with iOS 5 and new uber powerful hardware in iPhone 5, the competition will go back to drawing board once again. Apple needn't be afraid of Samsung as they are mostly a hardware manufacturer and get pre cooked OS from Google. Dont we all know how dreadful the TouchWiz UI is?
For me the true innovation in terms of OS has come from Microsoft Windows Phone 7 which has truly revolutionary UI concepts and implementation. If not for the developer support, the Android UI isnt much more polished than Symbian^3, the smartphone OS problem child. They are also headed towards the handheld gaming device market which is why Sony and Nintendo are afraid, really afraid.
This is true blue Apple cult in action - come everyone else, we will take you down