Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 17:41   #1
BHPian

Buying a used Alto with a duplicate RC book?

Hi friends,

After going through so much threads and reviews, i have decided to look to for a nice used car -- ALTO, a few days back.

Now the current offer i have.

Alto Lxi -- 2009 --- 13000kms done
Single Owner. Black color car, scratch less,
Car has reverse sensor, but not functioning.
Leather seats.

final negotiated price is 1.96 L

The only problem is the car is have only DRC (duplicate RC) Chennai.
The owner is a high socaity person who drives in a Sonata Embera. Got this car for wife, but now selling it and get her a Swift.

He lost his original RC book and got this DRC issued only last week.

Please advice guys shall i buy this car.

Took a test drive and the car is just superb. but am not familiar with this DRC thing, so came here to you guys with this case.

Please Advice guys, i told i will confirm by tomorrow to him.

Waiting for your fast replies friends.
JP

Mods: sorry if i have posted it in the wrong section. Sorry.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying a used Alto with a duplicate RC book?

Forget it and look for another one.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Forget it and look for another one.
Can you please explain me why sir, as am very confused why you said like this.

i am a novice in such matter, pardon my ignorance
Old 21st April 2011, 18:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I will not touch such a car, even if the person is known to me personally. Selling it in the future may also pose problems.

Anyway, wait for a few more responses and go by the majority opinion.
Old 21st April 2011, 18:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I will not touch such a car, even if the person is known to me personally. Selling it in the future may also pose problems.

Anyway, wait for a few more responses and go by the majority opinion.
Thank you for the reply, am not planning to sell the car anytime in near future, i will keep it for minimum 4 yrs

Waiting for more response. I have 1 day to decide.

Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 18:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Thank you for the reply, am not planning to sell the car anytime in near future, i will keep it for minimum 4 yrs

Waiting for more response. I have 1 day to decide.

Thanks

If DRC is issued by RTO then I see no issue buying this car. Only thing is in lieu of DRC try to negotiate more citing future selling problem. If you can settle it between 1.7 to 1.8, it will be very good.

Yes, do not forget to check/verify (before payment) DRC with the RTO itself, better you verify yourself than through agent for mental satisfaction.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 18:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

There are two contradicting views here.

One is the vehicle is superb and will serve you loyally but down the years when you want to sell it off you will face kgs of music even if not Tonnes, because offer prices would be much less.

Second point is, today even with an original RC when you cahnge the ownership what you would get in the electronic printed format would be a duplicate though the word duplicate may not be mentioned, but surely the past ownership records will not be indicated in full.

In other words both issues ultimately is almost similar.

There is now provision to check the vehicle history yourselves in the RTO website.

Do confirm if there is any interstate transfer anytime and if yes from which state.

In any case I recommend you to look for some other Alto as lot of the brand is available in the market today with the flood of new launches and is easier to get a similarly good one at reasonable price.

Last edited by rajeev k : 21st April 2011 at 18:29.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 18:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
If DRC is issued by RTO then I see no issue buying this car. Only thing is in lieu of DRC try to negotiate more citing future selling problem. If you can settle it between 1.7 to 1.8, it will be very good.

Yes, do not forget to check/verify (before payment) DRC with the RTO itself, better you verify yourself than through agent for mental satisfaction.
Actually am not going through any agent here, I got to know about the car through my Car Mechanic, who also is my school mate. the car belongs to one of his regular client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
There are two contradicting views here.

One is the vehicle is superb and will serve you loyally but down the years when you want to sell it off you will face kgs of music even if not Tonnes, because offer prices would be much less.

Second point is, today even with an original RC when you cahnge the ownership what you would get in the electronic printed format would be a duplicate though the word duplicate may not be mentioned, but surely the past ownership records will not be indicated in full.

In other words both issues ultimately is almost similar.

There is now provision to check the vehicle history yourselves in the RTO website.

Do confirm if there is any interstate transfer anytime and if yes from which state.

In any case I recommend you to look for some other Alto as lot of the brand is available in the market today with the flood of new launches and is easier to get a similarly good one at reasonable price.

In my case, am not the one who will sell a car very soon and am not bothered about the resale value either. All am concerned now is should i miss this opportunity of getting a 2yr old car for almost 50k less than the market price.

I inquired a few dealers here saying that, this is my car and i want to sell it off, and they are ready to take this same car for 1.9L.

And the Chennai market price for 2009 altos is around 2.5L and for an Alto with DRC its somewhere around 2.2L

All i want to know is, whats are the future problems of a DRC, leave the resale value. am not concerned with the resale value.

Thanks

Last edited by jp2u : 21st April 2011 at 18:38.
jp2u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 19:42   #9
BHPian

I belive you are thinking of issues when RTO/Police may check your vehicle papers while driving the car, in that case please go to the RTO with the DRC and get it checked, if all is well then buy the car but keep every possible documents(receipts/forms/address of owner/Original invoice of the car/ service book) with you of the transaction and have happy mind, I really don't see any trouble in the transaction. Here in Bangalore RTOs are issuing SMART cards as RC, if that is available in your RTO get the smart card done, I can think of any other issues here.
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 19:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

If its a brilliant car then go for it. Big deal if its a duplicate RC. Things like 'RC book getting lost' happen. No need to sweat over such a mundane issue. Go for it if you like the car.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 20:10   #11
BHPian

I have a DRC for one of my bikes for the last 10 years. I have not faced any problem during fitness checks, paying tax or insurance - even when I paid insurance premium in a different state altogether. No idea about the resale value part though.

So enjoy your new ride
topedgemonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 20:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

There is no issue going with a car having duplicate RC. People have to get duplicate RC when the original gets lost. Just make sure that DRC is not fake and ask him how he lost/damaged original RC. Go for the car and say “let’s go”
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 21:23   #13
BHPian

Thank you friends for all the valuable suggestion. You guys really made my day more happier.

@asdon : Bro, the DRC issued here in Chennai is smart card only. and every paper is intact with the owner. thanks for the input

Final Price negotiated is 1.95L

Going to pay advance tomorrow.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
And the Chennai market price for 2009 altos is around 2.5L and for an Alto with DRC its somewhere around 2.2L
Thanks for that update! Mine is a June'09 Alto as well, and when I had half a mind to exchange it for a K10 Alto at ABT (where I bought the car), the true value guys had the nerve to quote 1.5 lacs for the model year! I just laughed and moved off, without even bothering to show them the car!
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on closing the deal.

DRC shouldnt be an issue.

Check one more thing, if the original RC was lost, was an FIR lodged for the same ?

If yes, then please ask the owner to give you the copy of that FIR too.

And moving on, the Duplicate RC book will do.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks