Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Hatchback with the most back friendly seat!
Figo 15 13.16%
Fabia 16 14.04%
Punto 24 21.05%
Swift 51 44.74%
Jazz 14 12.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th May 2011, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Default Hatchback with the best driving seat!!!

Hey guys , I am suffering from chronic back ache due to an old slip disc problem. I am currently driving an Ohc !! Yeah not an ideal car for weak backs so was planning to buy a new car. I have shortlisted the fabia, Figo and punto... All diesel.All these cars were pretty comfortable during the test drive so can't really make up my mind. What I need is ;
-an ergonomically designed driving seat and position
-pliant suspension
-less fatigue after long hrs of driving
- good in cabin nvh levels.
fastraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:22   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hatchback with the best driving seat!!!

Fastrah,

I found Punto & Fabia more comfortable than Figo. But both have A.S.S issues.

If you are considering Petrol, Jazz can be nice choice which ticks many right boxes except price.
nfsfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Beat, just try it. You wont be disappointed.

The back side of the seat really hugs you through the body contour.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:31   #4
BHPian

Its the swift ! Really nice big front seats...a good seat cover fitting can add to the contours.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Physician, heal thyself. I've had the swift for 65k km and the driver seat has never had any complaints. Though in all fairness, the lumbar support seat add-on did help matters (but only after I reduced its width by >50%).

So there is no silver bullet my friend. Get fit first! How often do you exercise?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Just looking for diesel cars. Jazz is too overpriced and swift is quite old now also hate the panel rattles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Physician, heal thyself. I've had the swift for 65k km and the driver seat has never had any complaints. Though in all fairness, the lumbar support seat add-on did help matters (but only after I reduced its width by >50%).

So there is no silver bullet my friend. Get fit first! How often do you exercise?
Which lumbar seat support do u use? Yeah being fit is crucial, currently I am fine but the time I get into some cars my back starts aching!! The fabia, punto and Figo seemed comfortable but in the long run which would be still comfortable??

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th May 2011 at 15:53. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 15:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

I own a figo and I do not find it tiring on back after a long drive. I have not long driven Punto/Fabia though, so cannot comment.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:51   #8
Team-BHP Support

The best driver's seat in any hatchback i have experienced is Swift and even though the steering in not adjustable, it's well positioned.

Avoid Punto as it's a ergonomic blunder, the steering is positioned too close to chest and the pedals are placed too high. The steering cannot be used at any other position than lowest since even at lowest position it feels a bit too high, especially if you have a habit of keeping the seat at lowest positioned. Driving it since 2 years and i am yet to find the perfect driving position.

I find the ergonimics in i20 better than most Hatchbacks though Swift has better front seats.

Talking about ride comfort and composure nothing comes close to Punto, though stiff at lower speeds but amazingly absorbent and composed, it's even better than most 15lakh cars.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 15:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
The best driver's seat in any hatchback i have experienced is Swift and even though the steering in not adjustable, it's well positioned.

Avoid Punto as it's a ergonomic blunder, the steering is positioned too close to chest and the pedals are placed too high. The steering cannot be used at any other position than lowest since even at lowest position it feels a bit too high, especially if you have a habit of keeping the seat at lowest positioned. Driving it since 2 years and i am yet to find the perfect driving position.

I find the ergonimics in i20 better than most Hatchbacks though Swift has better front seats.

Talking about ride comfort and composure nothing comes close to Punto, though stiff at lower speeds but amazingly absorbent and composed, it's even better than most 15lakh cars.
Yeah the reason I liked the punto was that amazing suspension, it literally glides over potholes. i20's suspension throws you around!

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2011 at 18:13. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this community. READ our rules please
Old 18th May 2011, 16:00   #10
BHPian

You should certainly think about the swift. I have driven it and i find it to be a great car. The front seats are pretty comfortable and i never got any back ache even after driving it for long distances plus its low on maintenence and high on mileage. Its got one of the best diesel engines.
msupercool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 16:03   #11
CDM
BHPian

@fastraj. I am a fellow sufferer (L4-L5 herniated disc). My own personal experience is with 3 hatch backs: Wagon-R, Indica V2 and Getz.

I personally found the Indica V2 to be best of the lot. The Wagon R is taller and simpler to get into but does not have the comfortable ride of the Indica V2. I have undertaken long journeys (10-12 hours) in the Indica V2 without any problems. I currently own a Getz but find that the low driving position can cause some discomfort.

If, however, you can stretch your budget, check out the Innova (I currently drive one). You just cannot compare the comfort that an Innova offers for your back. I took the Innova all over Ladakh last year and drove 3700 KMs in 15 days without any problems at all, even on 18 hr drives.

Regards,

CDM
CDM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2011 at 18:13.
fastraj is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 18th May 2011, 16:17   #13
BHPian

I think the Fabia's driver seat is perfectly contoured. Although this is only my perception as I haven't tried the rest. Just like the rest of the suggestions, please make sure your back ache is taken care of medically. Also, you might want to try those massagers that you can plug in the lighter socket. I have one which warms up with pulsating massage & it makes a huge difference on overall comfort, specially long drives.
WARNING: you may get too comfy & relaxed & tend to get sleepy with prolonged massaging, even vice versa, it may actually cause irritation.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 16:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg
I think the Fabia's driver seat is perfectly contoured. Although this is only my perception as I haven't tried the rest. Just like the rest of the suggestions, please make sure your back ache is taken care of medically. Also, you might want to try those massagers that you can plug in the lighter socket. I have one which warms up with pulsating massage & it makes a huge difference on overall comfort, specially long drives.
WARNING: you may get too comfy & relaxed & tend to get sleepy with prolonged massaging, even vice versa, it may actually cause irritation.
Lol! That is a possible sideeffect of massagers! Yeah I do like the fabia seating a lot.
Old 18th May 2011, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
Can't agree more.

After having driven all hatches (excluding micra) I cab vouch that seat of swift are better than others, that too, by a mile.

Overall ergonomics too are good, and better than many.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th May 2011 at 16:32.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote