Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th June 2011, 16:37   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Micra DCi Premium (or) Ford Figo Titanium Diesel for a recently married co

Sorry that this is totally Off topic from the subject of the thread, but could not restrict myself from writing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
ABS: I don't care much for airbags (dangerous to the driver, dangerous to pregnant women and babies, very-dangerous if you are not wearing seatbelts, useless if you are wearing seatbelts) but ABS is one thing I would rather not overlook. If you are planning to do high-speed highway driving you better get this.
Well definitely your assumptions are wrong. There is a different way for belting pregnant women (even if they are driving) and babies should always be placed in the rear seat in a safe child seat and belted, which is never the case in India. If these points are looked upon, you can never say that you carry high risk over seatbelt usage. Next best thing is all over the world crash tests (analysis and inhouse testing too) are done for unbelted occupants in a vehicle, how can I say that? because I work for crash and safety. So definitely airbags are not hazardous unless we do some crazy things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
1. Airbags will protect your upper torso & head from hitting the steering wheel/dashboard in case of frontal impact (Note that the front airbags will only deploy in case of frontal impact but some cars do offer curtain airbags, e.g. i20). Hitting one's head on the steering wheel during an accident is one of the major causes of deaths & airbags prevent the same.
2. Regarding spectacles, the impact of a person with an airbag will definitely be lesser than with the steering wheel/dashboard. Nevertheless, chances of injury due to spectacles cannot be ruled out. Airbags are most effective when used in conjunction with seat belts as seat belts will restrain your impact.
+1 to that..

To add some light this, generally when we are belted and braked suddenly we tend to move forward and this is the only situation we face. So a general feeling is that in case of accidents too, everyone feels that we are not safe, but during impact or more forward movement of our body, the retractor helps the gears inside to get locked and does not allow us to move further forward and inturn it pulls us back which is the only reason of safety in wearing seat belts rather than not wearing it. I have explained it totally at a broader perspective, there are many more things which constitute to the working of seat belts.

Well if anyone is interested in enlightening your knowledge, you can look through this webpage.
HowStuffWorks "How Seatbelts Work"

Last edited by informmaha : 29th June 2011 at 16:44.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:12   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Micra DCi Premium (or) Ford Figo Titanium Diesel for a recently married co

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Informative post - Thanks!

Airbags WILL NOT deploy if the seatbelts are not engaged.
1. I just 'googled' the above point. There seems to be different systems for different manufacturers. In some cars, the airbags do deploy irrespective whether the seat belts are fastened or not.
2. I am also finding out more data, kindly share in case you have more information.
kunalsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 20:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
1. I just 'googled' the above point. There seems to be different systems for different manufacturers. In some cars, the airbags do deploy irrespective whether the seat belts are fastened or not.
2. I am also finding out more data, kindly share in case you have more information.
We are at the moment way - let's take the discussion to the one of the Airbags threads if you want:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...following.html (Is AirBag a must have given the following ?)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ars-india.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ditions-4.html (ABS & Airbag requirement in indian conditions)

and many more.

On the internet NHTSA has a website:

What You Need to Know About Air Bags, DOT HS 809 575
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 18:01   #49

I booked my Figo 1.4 TDCi Titanium 3 weeks back and will be getting the car this Sunday. I too deliberated on the Micra Diesel and eventually settled for the Figo for the sheer VFM. Also, have been driving an Ikon for 3 yrs and love the ride and handling of a Ford. Also, like to thank all Team-BHP members for your valuable insights which helped me choose. I will surely share my experience once I have enough miles under the belt.
1LUVCAR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 13:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Though I am a Ford fan, in this particular case, I would recommend the Nissan. It has much better build quality, is not built to a price, drives very well for the casual driver, is equally efficient or better, is roomy, will surely cost less to own in the long run & the engine reliability is proven a long long time ago. I don't think it costs that much more than a Figo. In my opinion, it is money well spent.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 17:58   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have no direct experience with either Figo or Micra - but considering that you will be making highway trips every month, I would recommend a car with both ABS *and* 2 Airabgs. Just for this reason, I think Figo will be a better choice among the two that you have mentioned.
StarrySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 14:08   #52

Hey buddy..

I personally had this confusion at the time of choosing a car. Finally after loads of tests and comparisons, I settled for Ford Figo Diesel. The car is well designed, sturdy, has good road grip and does not look girlish at all.

I am glad after a month post purchase mainly because of:

1. good service
2. great performance
3. awesome mileage (its giving me arrnd 20 and thats great)

altogether i would recommend figo!
cheers, Josh
joshuthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 13:05   #53
BHPian

Is Cheverlet Beat Diesel comparable with these two by any chance if we are going to use it mostly for city drive ?
vinucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 18:19   #54
BHPian

I think if the focus is city driving and more so if you are looking at second car in your family, Beat is certainly better. Some of things to share

- Innovative design (love it or hate it but you cannot ignore it)
- Small in size, comfortable, peppy diesel motor for city. you can virtually do the whole traffic of metros between 2nd and 3rd gear and use them as AT.
- unmatched fuel efficiency as compared to peers (if you would consider other diesel hatches worthy as most of the fellows will not agree because of its sub 1 litre engine)
- Most important - all inclusive package for 3 year ownership is included.

Beat can beat the rest of the lot just by adding a complete AT unit in the existing diesel motor. I am not sure if most of us are aware that Beat diesel motor has the same roots that of Swift DDIS, Fiat MJ and Tata QJ

I am in for Beat in small car segment as against others.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 19:02   #55
BHPian

Why don't you check out the new Renault Pulse? I personally think that it looks much better than Nissan Micra. Same old wine, double distilled, and coming in a new bottle. You should definitely TD the Pulse before buying either the Micra or Figo.
su48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 09:57   #56
BHPian

Since opinion seems somewhat divided, you can safely assume that both cars are good options. However, if you add safety at a lesser price into the picture, well, that's just icing on the cake. And essential icing as it goes.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 10:18   #57
BHPian

Hi.

I would definitely recommend the Figo. Even i was in the same dilemma a few months bac regarding Fifo, Micra or Beat D. However, after driving all 3 vehicles and consulting T BHPians, i zeroed down on the Figo and have not regretted the decision even for a single moment.

The Figo is absolutely fun to dive in the city and show it the open stretch, it does pretty well. It might not be an outright performer on highways but can zoom ahead of most cars simply due to the sorted body dynamics.
shubhu3112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 19:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Even I would recommend the Figo. It is a sturdy car, and the Ford A.S.S. have become much better and spares more affordable compared to past.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote