Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


View Poll Results: The frugal practical hatchback to buy
Swift D - National diesel car 75 27.37%
Ritz D - The weird alternative to national diesel car 51 18.61%
Figo - The sensible car on paper 66 24.09%
i20 - Expensive but worth it! Reasons given in post 23 8.39%
Punto - Its not a TATA its a FIAT! 38 13.87%
Something else - Explained in a post 21 7.66%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 17:32   #121
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

@kadanaJ, the FISIFI tagline suits the Ritz too. Infact more so, given that it has been out there much before the Liva.

@mohandas, if you take out the Liva, there is no car in the Toyota line-up that can be a direct comparison to the Maruti models to measure resale value. MSIL did not have any offerings in the Corolla, Camry, Qualis, Innova range. But yeah, we don't know yet about Liva resale - so comparing it with Ritz on resale is pointless.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 18:30   #122
BHPian
 
kadanaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 348
Thanked: 115 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
How can you claim that Ritz will fetch higher resale value than Liva? Do you have any data to support your claim or you are just guessing? Today, when I see other T-Badge cars, they fetch similar resale (in some case higher - Qualis) values when we compare them with the successful models from Marutis.

[data source : Carwale.com]
Well, there's no real way to predict which car will have higher resale value, but in this case I'd be willing to put my money on the Toyota.

No actual data to support this theory, just an assumption made based on the following:
1. Liva Diesel, will command a premium in the used market due to the T-badge.
2. The Ritz isn't that much of a hot seller (unlike the Swift, which has absurdly high resale value)
3. Expected long waiting list for Liva, versus ready-off-the-shelf Ritz, should indicate a higher resale value, as their is greater perceived demand. (assumption made based on the high resale value for other long waiting list cars such as the Maruti Swift and Toyota Fortuner)

While there is no guarantee, odds are that the Liva will have higher resale value.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 28th September 2011 at 18:32.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 19:01   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Swift Diesel - You are the Fool..err Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
On second thoughts, there was something funny about leg and shin position, but the TD was so short, that it is difficult to make out such things. Rest assured, our next car will not be the new swift(unless they offer 30K discount).
So now its between
Ritz Vdi with ABS (first contender) vs the Toyota Liva.
Micra is out, unless I listen to the heart, and take the plunge.

Hopefully, by october end the new car should be in our garage.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I would suggest you Ritz anyday, just because of its interiors that are way better than Toyota & certainly not workmanlike & probably poor as in Liva. Guess the final choice will be yours not mine...
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 19:45   #124
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
Don't call the Liva an unproven model just yet. Toyota does have a ridiculous reputation for quality and reliability (few recent year exceptions aside).
With perfect running on a 10-year-old Toyota Avalon (replaced only because it lacked the niceties of newer vehicles), I can tell they really put a lot into R&D. In comparison, my Maruti Suzuki Esteem Di has had new glowplugs and work on the starter motor within 6 years of running. However, neither of these issues left me stranded in a Maruti.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I guess the decision is pretty simple now :
- Ritz (value for money, proven model, Maruti)
- Liva (high NVH, unproven model, cost cutting evident)
- Micra (poor brakes, no ABS, small support network)
Nissan is just as reliable as Mitsubishi and Honda but is a new manufacturer among passenger cars in India. However, don't expect stellar performance from it because the models it introduces in India aren't luxury vehicles. The Infinity product line does feature some rather remarkable vehicles.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 19:51   #125
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,623 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Till now I was in favour of the Ritz. But yesterday went and checked out the Liva. The car is quite high on space inside and somehow the centrally placed console didn't look too bad. Looks wise also Liva looks better then Ritz anyday. I feel you should seriously consider this hatch since its a vehicle you intend to keep for sometime and who knows when will you start feeling the need for more space. I am in favour of the Liva now.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 20:13   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 187 Times
Default Re: Swift Diesel - You are the Fool..err Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Micra is out, unless I listen to the heart, and take the plunge.
hey tsk,

Although I have a feeling that your above statement is primarily due to a very thin service network, but still want to confirm if there is any other reason.

I am getting inclined towards the Micra solely because of that diesel engine that it has.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 21:45   #127
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Micra has the following problems
1. Brakes
2. Service network
3. GC a little low for my comfort, but short overhangs negate that to some effect
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 22:20   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Go for the Ritz. It is roomy, has good ground clearance & all the Maruti advantages. Great for city drive.
sridhar-v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 09:27   #129
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
How can you claim that Ritz will fetch higher resale value than Liva? Do you have any data to support your claim or you are just guessing? Today, when I see other T-Badge cars, they fetch similar resale (in some case higher - Qualis) values when we compare them with the successful models from Marutis.
It was just my humble opinion, I don't have any facts to back it up because both cars are new in the market and not available for resale.

The reason for this, accodring to me, is that Ritz is a well rounded package from the Maruti stable and has a proven record of reliability and low maintenance costs. Liva, even though it is a Toyota, but in my opinion it is not built upto Toyota standards. It may have a good engine and chassis, but that's all it seems to have. It doesn't have the feel good factor of a car of this price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Nissan is just as reliable as Mitsubishi and Honda but is a new manufacturer among passenger cars in India. However, don't expect stellar performance from it because the models it introduces in India aren't luxury vehicles. The Infinity product line does feature some rather remarkable vehicles.
I never suggested that Nissan would not be reliable. I just mentioned that their service network in India is currently very thin.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2011, 13:46   #130
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Ritz indeed is the sensible choice. But we are a family of tall people, so back seat is problematic.
Liva has huge space.
So in the end its a battle between lack of space and lack of equipment!

TOUGH with all capitals I must say
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2011, 09:28   #131
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

If its a 50-50 between Ritz and Liva, leave the decision to your better half and other family members who would be using the car. That way, they can't crib about lack of space/equipment/refinement, whichever car they choose.

You (and your family) need to decide your priorities - whether features and refinement are more important to you OR would you be willing to live with lack of equipment and refinement if the car is more spacious.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:08   #132
BHPian
 
karizma_devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 421
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

TSK i went ahead and booked a Red Figo TDCi after a lot of brain storming . I hope i made the right choice. Hope the car will serve me well for next 2 years. Good Luck to you!

Actually I ended up so confused between - Micra , Figo , Polo Trendline , it boiled down to a lucky dip ! My better half picked up the chit.
45 Days of logic , excel sheets , and brain storming ended in the most illogical manner !
karizma_devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:30   #133
BHPian
 
avisidhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 618
Thanked: 456 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Till now I was in favour of the Ritz. But yesterday went and checked out the Liva. The car is quite high on space inside and somehow the centrally placed console didn't look too bad. Looks wise also Liva looks better then Ritz anyday. I feel you should seriously consider this hatch since its a vehicle you intend to keep for sometime and who knows when will you start feeling the need for more space. I am in favour of the Liva now.
Beg to respectfully disagree sir. The point being, if space in indeed so important, then how can one not consider the new Vista? Acres of space, more refined engine, more features, and the new interiors are definitely a notch above that of Liva. Why not be willing to live with a few niggles and buy a product which is superior in every other aspect? (I'm stating this with a simple assumption that space is of great importance, which seems to be the case going by Tanveer sir's thread)

Secondly, agreed that reliability is a given considering that it's Toyota after all. But is that really the case with the 'cheapest' automobiles from their stable? If you are willing to risk it with a Liva, why not buy a known devil

And amist all this TSK must be wondering, Ohh no not another Vista fan! During my Safari ownership I met all Tata bashers left and right, and now this bunch is again pushing me in the same direction BTW, is it possible to modify the poll and include the Liva?
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:55   #134
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post

Secondly, agreed that reliability is a given considering that it's Toyota after all. But is that really the case with the 'cheapest' automobiles from their stable? If you are willing to risk it with a Liva, why not buy a known devil

And amist all this TSK must be wondering, Ohh no not another Vista fan! During my Safari ownership I met all Tata bashers left and right, and now this bunch is again pushing me in the same direction BTW, is it possible to modify the poll and include the Liva?
I firmly believe that a cheap automobile from Suzuki, Toyota or nissan will serve me quite well.
And Liva is not very cheap. It has really horrendous interiors, but everything as been put together thoughtfully and with precision.

So I may actually end up with a Liva, thats the way we are tilting now. A back to back TD of ritz and Toyota liva is on the cards before this weekend, and then its booking time.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 17:15   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default re: Budget diesel hatch - For one with A.S.S. Phobia - EDIT: Booked Liva GD!

Even though I am late into the thread, I would recommend you to look for Swift or i20. I have voted for i20 as I feel that the price is justified. It will give you a lot more power over Swift, has good engine and the interiors are the best in the segment.

Between Ritz and Liva, go for Liva! Its new and has Toyota backing. Looks a lot lot better than Ritz. I dont know about the performance though. The point in favour of Ritz is that it has phenomenal Maruti A.S.S.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traffic Phobia: How to return home in one piece...with peace? capslock Street Experiences 97 16th September 2017 12:53
Share your Phobia: Everyone has one! Pratzgh1 Shifting gears 61 30th July 2014 12:42
Hot Hatch Wanted - 40 Lakh Budget. UPDATE: Mini Cooper S booked! msbehave Luxury, Imports & Niche 107 4th August 2013 15:26
Suzuki SX4 or NHC type 1 second hand EDIT: SX4 now booked - EDIT 1 -Swift VDi booked GeekSrik Hatchbacks 126 24th June 2007 12:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks