Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 17:02   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Hi friends,

Finally I have decided to offload a bit of my burden in this forum by pausing my thinking and deciding to take help from fellow bhpians on deciding what can be my next car. Since more than an year,
Cars that I'm looking out for but not sure I will wait for them are:
1. Renault's Duster
2. Suzuki's Jimny
3. Thar with AC and Hard top.
4. Something of a cross between hatchback and SUV (mini).
5. Something on similar lines...

So guys, please help me make a well-informed, practical and sensible decision, which also appeals to my heart.
Good dilemma, as I can understand that looking at your requirement I would suggest
1. Mini Xylo ( still not launched)
2. New bolero ( with economic CRDE engine, please note that the current VLX is not in production and new bolero will be launched soon)
3. THAR CRDE ( this could be best option if you have the hard top and AC) I know one bhapian from Hyderabad converted his THAR into hardtop and AC fitted ) but do consider it will be appox 1.5 lakh more than the THAR price.
4. Other wise consider a USED Toyota Qualis
Cheers
Sri
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 17:13   #17
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

You have shortlisted too many cars there to add to your dilemma.

For 7.5 L, an Etios sedan or Jazz hatchback seem to be good options. The Etios is total VFM if you look at the mid-variant while the Jazz though not-VFM, you might be able to get a good deal with the discounted prices.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 18:44   #18
BHPian
 
saleem_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

GTO - Nice to see your response. Thank you for the suggestions. My major gripe with Etios is the boot overhang which I feel is a bit too much for my liking. Also somehow I'm not entirely convinced with this car after going through your report. As for Manza, like I mentioned earlier, I'm not very convinced with Tata products.

Jazz would be my pick out of the three cars you have mentioned. Do you think it would be better to wait for Thar with HT?

Regarding preworshipped cars, somehow I don't think I have reached a level to carry around an Altis or Civic. Civic is definitely my dream car, which I aspire for and hope to lay my hands on some day, albeit a brand new one!

svpatra - I'm a bit surprised with the Bolero news. I didn't know about this development. Any idea when the new Bolero will be launched?

Yes, I have a soft corner for Thar but looking at some difficulties faced by fellow bhpians in getting the AC installed and later not entirely happy with that i'm a bit apprehensive about this one. But ideally I'm looking for something (or rather everything) like Thar. Sad that DB sir is out of M&M, else there would have been some hope for me in waiting for a better Thar. Now I'm not entirely sure about this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
You have shortlisted too many cars there to add to your dilemma.

For 7.5 L, an Etios sedan or Jazz hatchback seem to be good options. The Etios is total VFM if you look at the mid-variant while the Jazz though not-VFM, you might be able to get a good deal with the discounted prices.
fuel_addict - Yes, I did shortlist lot of them, so want the top three suggestions from everyone so that I can shortlist a few. Jazz seems to be the best option at the current moment.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 19:14   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,842 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Thats a huge list
Well, I don't think any of the cars mentioned will satisfy all the requirements mentioned. But with the budget of 7.5 OTR, this are the options I suggest:
1) Ford Fiesta Classic
2) Honda Jazz (should be below 7.5 for the Select variant, with all the discounts in offer)
3) Toyota Etios
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 19:28   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 72
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
svpatra - I'm a bit surprised with the Bolero news. I didn't know about this development. Any idea when the new Bolero will be launched?

Yes, I have a soft corner for Thar but looking at some difficulties faced by fellow bhpians in getting the AC installed and later not entirely happy with that i'm a bit apprehensive about this one. But ideally I'm looking for something (or rather everything) like Thar. Sad that DB sir is out of M&M, else there would have been some hope for me in waiting for a better Thar. Now I'm not entirely sure about this product.

i am not sure for new bolero arrival date in one of the forum Spike (M&M) mentioned that there was no more production for VLX version. and Hormaz ( Overdrive ) mentioned that new bolero will be soon be in market.

please visit this section for THAR

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2418629 (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review)
post no #1771 by shiva1978in
svpatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 23:07   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Surprised to see that you think that the fiesta is narrow. it's average sized and if you want more space your only options for your budget are tata manza or some suv.the scorpio and bolero middle seats are not as comfortable as the fiesta's. if you think fiesta is cramped, then you cannot look at a lot of other cars like polo, vento, dzire which are all effectively 4 seaters.

Maybe you can check out the logan for space.
vishnurp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 06:59   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

good suggestion about the used SUV
for 7.5 lacs you will get a very nicely maintained scorpio mid level model of a recent vintage
consider it if you really want an UV type thing.
Else go and buy a nice hot hatch or a petrol vento if you want ride quality and build and comfort and stuff.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 08:50   #23
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You already have a hatchback for the local runs, hence the best upgrade for you @ 7.5 lakhs will be:

- Toyota Etios : My favourite entry level sedan. Extremely spacious, fast performance, surprisingly fun to drive, balanced ride & handling.

- Tata Manza 1.3 Diesel : Diesel would suit your touring habits. Excellent engine & transmission, space & comfort equal to 15 lakh cars, nice equipment, balanced ride & handling.

- Honda Jazz : Amongst the best hatchbacks on sale in India. Shop around for discounts or wait for the inevitable price-cut.

Test-drive all 3 and update us with your comments. Good luck hunting.

I also highly recommend a pre-worshipped Altis or Civic to you. Look up the many threads put up by satisfied used-car fans like yours truly.
As GTO points out Jazz is strong contender from your list. It is perhaps most appealing particularly in face of pretty good discounts on offer. I don't think that price cuts will be any more than the discounts.

Jazz apart from being frugal, is also very drivable, quite, trouble-free and as much fun on highways as in the city. I have enjoyed every moment of 18 months of driving Jazz, and look forward to several years of pleasure.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:07   #24
BHPian
 
saleem_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thats a huge list
Well, I don't think any of the cars mentioned will satisfy all the requirements mentioned. But with the budget of 7.5 OTR, this are the options I suggest:
1) Ford Fiesta Classic
2) Honda Jazz (should be below 7.5 for the Select variant, with all the discounts in offer)
3) Toyota Etios
Yes, I'm somewhat prioritizing similar to the list that you mentioned. The only reason I'm a bit apprehensive about Fiesta is the cabin room that I experienced. Probably I need to experience that again to remove the confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
i am not sure for new bolero arrival date in one of the forum Spike (M&M) mentioned that there was no more production for VLX version. and Hormaz ( Overdrive ) mentioned that new bolero will be soon be in market.

please visit this section for THAR

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2418629 (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review)
post no #1771 by shiva1978in
This Thar looks good. Thank you for the link. But how is it performing with these addendums? Is everything problem-free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
Surprised to see that you think that the fiesta is narrow. it's average sized and if you want more space your only options for your budget are tata manza or some suv.the scorpio and bolero middle seats are not as comfortable as the fiesta's. if you think fiesta is cramped, then you cannot look at a lot of other cars like polo, vento, dzire which are all effectively 4 seaters.

Maybe you can check out the logan for space.
No I don't intend something as big as Logan, average is still fine. I sat in Scorpio and Bolero's middle seats, Scorpio looked spacious, Bolero was average. Fiesta looked a bit more cramped than the usual Indica cab that comes for us and that somehow made me feel that Fiesta is a bit cramped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
good suggestion about the used SUV
for 7.5 lacs you will get a very nicely maintained scorpio mid level model of a recent vintage
consider it if you really want an UV type thing.
Else go and buy a nice hot hatch or a petrol vento if you want ride quality and build and comfort and stuff.
I'm not sure if we have good used car dealers in Hyderabad. Anyone has any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
As GTO points out Jazz is strong contender from your list. It is perhaps most appealing particularly in face of pretty good discounts on offer. I don't think that price cuts will be any more than the discounts.

Jazz apart from being frugal, is also very drivable, quite, trouble-free and as much fun on highways as in the city. I have enjoyed every moment of 18 months of driving Jazz, and look forward to several years of pleasure.
How about waiting for the new swift? If it is bigger than the current one, I think it would be worth waiting.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:30   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,696
Thanked: 2,111 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
How about waiting for the new swift? If it is bigger than the current one, I think it would be worth waiting.
IMHO, the current Swift does not seat 5 people comfortably and while it is a great car to drive, I dont think one can term it as a tourer.
To the best of my knowledge the new Swift does not have any drastic improvements in terms of space, so it may offer less space than what you expect/ require.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 14:45   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Going by your requirements, I would recommend the Scorpio to you. It will complement the Alto well, is frugal, reliable and is a great tourer and will fit your budget.
Just look for a pre-owned LX with less than 25k on the odo for 7.5lacs and you should be able to get it.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 21:55   #27
BHPian
 
saleem_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 218
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
IMHO, the current Swift does not seat 5 people comfortably and while it is a great car to drive, I dont think one can term it as a tourer.
To the best of my knowledge the new Swift does not have any drastic improvements in terms of space, so it may offer less space than what you expect/ require.
Oh, I thought Swift was wide enough for three average person to be seated comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Going by your requirements, I would recommend the Scorpio to you. It will complement the Alto well, is frugal, reliable and is a great tourer and will fit your budget.
Just look for a pre-owned LX with less than 25k on the odo for 7.5lacs and you should be able to get it.
Yes, Scorpio LX is one good option but not sure about pre-owned Mahindra vehicles' reliability. Rather I can stretch my budget a bit and get a new LX I suppose. I heard that Mahindra adds lot of extra costs based on some equipment it provides at the time of purchase. If I don't take most of them probably I can still buy the new LX.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,842 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
How about waiting for the new swift? If it is bigger than the current one, I think it would be worth waiting.
Nothing wrong, especially since they have stopped production of the current Swift. And from the international reviews, it is a better car than the outgoing model, and slightly bigger as well. So its best to wait and take a test drive. That said, I doubt if it will have the space and practicality of a Jazz.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 12:31   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Yes, Scorpio LX is one good option but not sure about pre-owned Mahindra vehicles' reliability. Rather I can stretch my budget a bit and get a new LX I suppose. I heard that Mahindra adds lot of extra costs based on some equipment it provides at the time of purchase. If I don't take most of them probably I can still buy the new LX.
If you can afford the new LX in its 2.2 avatar, nothing like it. It is a sensible vehicle and has all the goodies you would actually need on a day to day basis. If not, Scorpios are generally very reliable and there are examples of people who have purchased pre owned cars and are very happy, right here on TBHP, so you need not worry too much on that front either.

Happy hunting.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 14:10   #30
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Hatch, sedan or UV for 7.5 lakhs?

Have read most of the posts. May have missed out a thing or two, so pardon me for that.

Now from what I read you have a more practical sort of car in mind. Seat 5 in comfort, with one tall person in the family. Don't want one which is too big (parking etc), not keen on pre-owned, don't want one which has a cramped cabin (Fiesta), want a rugged vehicle.

I did read that you aren't inclined towards Tata. Guess it is the A$$ and the niggles. If you can bear with a few niggles (only means the odd trip to the workshop 1-2 times/year in most cases) Tata vehicles are usually very rugged. Well suited to harsh driving conditions.

A Manza is what you should seriously consider. It has a very very spacious cabin, good seating position, hugely improved finish and feel over the Indigo, small enough for the city and parking stuff, big enough on the inside, runs on diesel, good resale (if that even matters given the 5-7 years we are talking about), proven 'national engine', seems to be well suited for your long journeys including harsh roads, which light Japanese cars may have issues with.

Barring the Tata name, this car seems to fit your needs very well. Don't just drop it on a no-tata prejudice. I had test driven it amongst many other cars - link here
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From a hot hatch to a HOTTER hatch : A pre-worshipped '02 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX swiftnfurious Long-Term Ownership Reviews 70 13th July 2017 10:35
100 BHP+ Diesel Sedan under 10 lakhs - Booked Verna CRDI SX (ABS), now under 9 lakhs newcoolgadgets Sedans 84 16th September 2009 21:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks