Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2012, 14:32   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The reason I am wavering so much is due to my monthly running. I do an average of 1200 km per month with at least one trip on Mumbai - Pune expressway thrown in. I guess that falls on the borderline for petrol/ diesel decision. And hence this major dilemma.
1200 Km a month is clearly diesel territory. With ever rising petrol cost the best bet will be going for diesel. When we bought our City three years back, we were looking at a monthly running of around 1000 Km and looking at the price difference between petrol and diesel then, we thought petrol made more sense. But now, not only the petrol prices have gone up our monthly running also has shot up, last two months we clocked a total of 7000 Km. But that won't continue, we are looking at an average of 1500 Km a month.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:11   #152
BHPian

Booked my Jazz X today. It was a very difficult decision for us (me and wife), but at the end of the day, we went the car we loved the most.

I know its petrol, I know Punto probably has more features, but we really did not want to spend the next 4 years thinking that we bought something which was our second choice.

Yes, I may end up spending 2-3k per month extra, but surely I can make that up by prudent spending elsewhere. But I know I will be happier with this choice (unless of course petrol reached like 150 rs/lt , then I will be :) . But, I have not seen tomorrow and I am an optimist at heart .

Here's to the one we loved - The Taffeta White Jazz X.

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th June 2012 at 16:12. Reason: Only 2 smileys per post. Read rules before proceeding further. Thanks
Peregrine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:16   #153
BHPian

errrr.....just saw your latest post.
congrats for the booking, mine is TWhite too.
my original post below.....no more useful for you

-------
Couple of points from another Jazz owner.
(since Dec 2010, done 13K)

- Maintenance is every 5K or 6 mo whichever is earlier. Dealer-thieves insist on 3 mo checkup, but books says 6 mo.
- Every time it costs around Rs. 2200/-
- Returns upto 19-20 kmpl at speeds upto 80-90 kmph.
- Get into 100-120 zone, and its down to 15 kmpl. <imp for your highway runs>
- At such speeds, I find it quite noisy. (probably coz of the small 1.2 mill)
- OEM HU and speakers are pretty nice, non-audiophiles may not need an upgrade.
- Ride quality is no match against Punto. The Fiat is significantly better.
- This car has huge glass area, it really needs sunfilms.

If you have time, please have a look at Ertiga. It has a diesel heart and offers much more space combined with flexibility to choose between seats/space (carry pots/cycle/stroller or seat people).
And being a maruti, you are assured of 2 things - low maintenance & high resale.

Choose with your heart, but do convince the mind and the wife !!!

cheers

Last edited by lazy : 7th June 2012 at 15:18.
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 15:30   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Punto is awesome to drive and superbly built. Only negative point is questions about the A.S.S
Ok. Let me try and address this:

I have been a proud owner of Punto MJD E+ for the past 2.5 years, clocked more than 35,000 kms. Till date, there has not been a single issue, forget issue, not even a niggling problem. Initially, I used to give my car for servicing at B.U Bhandari, Pune and now at Pandit Automotive. The service experience has been excellent so far from both the dealers.

I need not talk much about the car as much has been said on this thread and on the forum, but believe me, nothing strikes a chord in your heart the way Punto does!!

Hope this helps....

Last edited by ironshark : 7th June 2012 at 15:31. Reason: Punctuations.
Old 7th June 2012, 19:20   #155
BHPian

I don't own a Punto nor have I driven it extensively; but I find it hard to believe that the A$$ can be that bad or that the Punto has so many serious (journey impeding) issues that can be a deal breaker.
I know of several people who've had very bad times with Maruti A$$, had terrible issues with Hyundai guys and of one person who nearly went on a killing spree in a Skoda A$$ but thankfully for them his heart gave him a twinge and stopped him from pursuing his quarry.
The point is, is it just bad publicity or is the FIAT A$$ genuinely that bad?
Also, one needs to ask (oneself and reliable friends) if cars these days give so much of trouble that you're grounded on regular basis because of flawed manufacture. Rubbish. A non reading Blue tooth device or a rattle in the glove compartment (which are often quoted Fiat issues) cant be that serious when you compare it with a car in the same Category but priced 1.5 Lakh higher (i20 D) or worse still with car that has a tiny rear seat and boot ( the Swift D) and poor highway manners and costs as much or more!
I dont believe any A$$ is that much better or worse than another that you can reject a fine product on that basis.
People with snooty, haughty, indifferent, superior and insensitive attitudes are found across the board and shared in more or less in equal number by all A$$.
If the Punto is so superior a car that no one points out any negative except (ASSUMEDLY) bad A$$, why stay away from buying it.
There are members of this forum who've clocked more than a Lakh of km in the Punto and still love it!
C'mon guys! Give the poor FIAT folks a decent break...
I am writing this at the risk of sounding like a FIAT employee but perish the thought fellas!
fiestarry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 20:27   #156
BHPian

I agree with you. And just to clarify, I did not go for Jazz because of the (perceived) A.S.S issues of Fiat. As I have stated above, I just hopelessly fell in love in Jazz . I am sure several members of the forum will agree with me - once you fall in love with a car, it is very difficult to let go.

I believe I am sounding like a character in chicflick
Old 7th June 2012, 22:12   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
Hi qaqa,
Yes, the GC has been raised to 165mm. You can get related information here. I guess they've yet to update that new GC on the brochure.
I checked with Inspire Honda in Mysore regarding the GC for Jazz, today. Both the General Manager there as well as my Service Advisor said that there is no change in the Jazz's GC - it remains at 160mm as before. They say that only the City's GC has been increased.
Old 7th June 2012, 22:44   #158
BHPian

Default Need to make a decision - to Jazz or not!

I presently drive a 2006 Estilo. While the car is running fine (it's got barely 28k on the odo), I have wanted to upgrade to a nicer, more upmarket car since quite some time.

My monthly running is about 800-1000kms, so a diesel may not make much sense. While I liked the Figo-TCDi's ride, I didn't care much for the rest of the package - it doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my Estilo! Other diesel cars like the i20 CRDI Asta, Polo-D and Swift-Zdi are way out of budget.

Since I definitely want ABS and airbags, I'm restricted to the top-line variants in most cases (except Jazz). This, combined with my budget lead to me considering just two cars - the Swift Zxi and the Honda Jazz (basic - S/MT). The Swift is more loaded (ACC+bluetooth) and has a sprightlier engine, but I'm more inclined towards the Jazz because the car exudes a feel-good factor which I just dont get from the Swift. The price is almost the same, at around 7L.

Now start the barrage of questions

1. Any significant downsides to the Jazz I should be aware of other than the poor GC and bad low-end torque?
2. Are there any cars on the horizon that I should wait for? (There's no pressing need for me to upgrade)
3. Any other cars I should consider?

Would appreciate the junta's thoughts!

PS - The dealer has confirmed that he has the Jazz in stock, and ready for delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
- Returns upto 19-20 kmpl at speeds upto 80-90 kmph.
- Get into 100-120 zone, and its down to 15 kmpl. <imp for your highway runs>
What kind of mileage are you getting in the city? My driving will mostly be in Bangalore traffic.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:38   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa

I checked with Inspire Honda in Mysore regarding the GC for Jazz, today. Both the General Manager there as well as my Service Advisor said that there is no change in the Jazz's GC - it remains at 160mm as before. They say that only the City's GC has been increased.
I had checked with hallmark Honda about this and as per them the GC has been increased to 165 mm . During the TD I did take it on couple of big speed breakers and didn't face any issues
Old 8th June 2012, 10:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Need to make a decision - to Jazz or not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
3. Any other cars I should consider?
Strictly from a budget point of view, you could consider the Micra (petrol) also. IIRC, the petrol Micra does not suffer from step-motherly treatment when it comes to safety features. But, it does have a weaker engine than the other two cars you are considering.
Old 10th June 2012, 09:16   #161
BHPian

Qaqa, did the Figo Titanium not fit your requirements. I am currently considering buying one, hence wanted to know the reason for rejecting the Figo.
Old 21st June 2012, 22:21   #162
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with you. And just to clarify, I did not go for Jazz because of the (perceived) A.S.S issues of Fiat.
Well, if it helps; Jazz is serviced by Honda so you can re-consider
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:40   #163
Senior - BHPian

Just a small query.

Am considering shifting to a brand new or even a well kept used petrol hatch back small car for the parents.

Basic pre requisites.
Very high FE is essential.
High GC and higher seating position for elderly people.
Good under thigh support and lower back support is an absolute must in whatever car.
Manual or AT is fine because Dad is cool with either
Safety features such as ABS, Airbags, EBD essential
Decent loading and luggage space required.
Trouble free, inexpensive maintenance and ease of handling, upkeep etc is important.

This is NOT an imminent purchase - have just thought of it and am beginning the spade work now, so no hurry.

General Consideration set:
1. Honda Jazz Select because I think it is very well designed. I hate the skinny tyres though.
2. Skoda Fabia 1.2 Elegance MPI because I like Skoda for their toughness and they havent stinted on the tyres.
3. Renault Pulse Petrol top spec because it looks funky - tyres are a bit small though.
4. VW Polo 1.2 high-line petrol because it looks very good indeed and they havent stinted on the tyres
5. Ford Figo Titanium petrol because I just like that car and it is quite spacious indeed
6. Just might consider a Brio because it is really a very nice little thing.

I dont want either a Hyundai or Maruti thanks very much so please dont suggest these. I dont like the Micra as much as I like the Pulse. I dont want another Indica , whether Vista or whatever and while I love the Punto's looks I dont trust Fiat here in India somehow.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd June 2012 at 06:43.
Old 22nd June 2012, 07:25   #164
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Just a small query.

Am considering shifting to a brand new or even a well kept used petrol hatch back small car for the parents.

Basic pre requisites.
Very high FE is essential.
High GC and higher seating position for elderly people.
Good under thigh support and lower back support is an absolute must in whatever car.
Manual or AT is fine because Dad is cool with either
Safety features such as ABS, Airbags, EBD essential
Decent loading and luggage space required.
Trouble free, inexpensive maintenance and ease of handling, upkeep etc is important.

This is NOT an imminent purchase - have just thought of it and am beginning the spade work now, so no hurry.

1. Honda Jazz Select because I think it is very well designed. I hate the skinny tyres though.
2. Skoda Fabia 1.2 Elegance MPI because I like Skoda for their toughness and they havent stinted on the tyres.
3. Renault Pulse Petrol top spec because it looks funky - tyres are a bit small though.
4. VW Polo 1.2 high-line petrol because it looks very good indeed and they havent stinted on the tyres
5. Ford Figo Titanium petrol because I just like that car and it is quite spacious indeed
6. Just might consider a Brio because it is really a very nice little thing.

I dont want either a Hyundai or Maruti thanks very much so please dont suggest these. I dont like the Micra as much as I like the Pulse. I dont want another Indica , whether Vista or whatever and while I love the Punto's looks I dont trust Fiat here in India somehow.
I think your mind says Maruti but heart it set on Skoda/VW/Renault/Ford. Except Renault coz its a badge engineered Micra none of the other two are going to give the "very high FE" which is the first on your check list. Could be called the "Yeti" effect, I think. I think the best would be a preowned Jazz, which will tick all the right boxes or a preowned 'new' Swift.
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:03   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am with your top choice. In the petrol space, I feel the Jazz is the best option available.

As a second choice I will suggest the Polo 1.6 (instead of the 1.2). From what I have heard, the FE figures are almost the same as the 1.2, and you get a better engine.

And if your purchase is a few months later, you probably may see 1.2 TSI motor coming to the Polo/Fabia (just an assumption based on the recent entry of 1.4TSI with the Jetta).
Closed Thread