Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 10th June 2013, 14:49   #361

Default Re: Polo vs Brio Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Brio is definitely a fun to drive car, especially in the city - no question. In can maneuver in spaces you didn't know exists. Gear shift isn't the slickest but then with the wide power band you wouldn't need to shift too frequently.

It can zip around but with the softer suspension set up the rear feels bumpy over moon craters at moderate speeds. If you can live with that its a complete package, given the reliability of Honda and the cheaper maintenance costs.

Polo on the other hand is much better build and a practical highway car. If you can digest the higher servicing costs and the constant 3 pot motor sound, it drives better & handles bad roads more efficiently.

Given that you liked your Zen - Brio is a closer match than the Polo.
Ok I think I will give the Brio a test drive too and find out just how much peppier it's engine is and if it handles as well as the Polo.
Another query, does the Polo without ABS have enough juice in it's brakes in desperate situations?
Old 10th June 2013, 15:18   #362
BHPian

Default Re: Polo vs Brio Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand.Mumbai View Post
Another query, does the Polo without ABS have enough juice in it's brakes in desperate situations?

The brakes on VW vehicles - both Polo & Vento are a class apart. It simply excels. I really cant quote desperate situations, but having driven both the Polo & Brio under similar roads if I had to pick one of them purely on braking ability - I'd chose the Polo
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2013, 16:04   #363
BHPian

Quote:

The car is just for me! My dad has a Honda City of his own which he does not let me touch!! And what I'm looking for in a car is the fun factor, the steering needs to have feel in it, should go where I want, should inspire confidence at high speeds, and will be used equally in the city and the highways.

From what I have deduced from all your comments is that the Brio is the one with the better engine and is cheaper to maintain, whereas Polo is solidly built and stable at high speeds. Which of them hits the sweet spot better with respect to my requirements of a car??

P.S.: How I wish I could afford the 1.2TSI
Have you considered the micra/pulse petrol? I've heard there are some great discounts going on.

It may just hit the sweet spot you're looking for. Low cost of maintainence, solid build , fun to drive and premium feel. All in one.

Do test drive the brio. Take it to the limit. It's a very fun car to drive. And arup has got it bang on. It'll slide through corners you didn't know existed !
Old 10th June 2013, 16:40   #364

Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Have you considered the micra/pulse petrol? I've heard there are some great discounts going on.

It may just hit the sweet spot you're looking for. Low cost of maintainence, solid build , fun to drive and premium feel. All in one.

Do test drive the brio. Take it to the limit. It's a very fun car to drive. And arup has got it bang on. It'll slide through corners you didn't know existed !
Na i don't want to risk it with cars which might be discontinued in the future. Specially with a brand like Renault/Nissan which may not provide spare parts as easily.

And yes, I will drive the Brio and see for myself, if only the tail of the car looked better, there would have been not much debate. Anyways what matters most to me are the driving dynamics and if it fits the bill, I can learn to live with that rear.
Old 10th June 2013, 17:28   #365
BHPian

To add to your confusion further, Brio has better steering feel compared to Polo, but both actually really lack good feel. Brio is more agile due to smaller foot print and both takes sharp u turns well. Reverse parking in Brio is a breeze and that's when you would thank the Honda engineers for effective packaging and visibility.

Brio clutch feels shorter and lighter but Polo gearshift is the best in any manual car, across segments. You feel like changing gears just for the heck of it. Polo brakes, like arup.mishra mentioned is way better, no doubt.

Polo 1.2 has better initial power compared to Brio where it feels sluggish but the latter is all about mid range. This again one would get used to in the long run and Brio is more peppy, refined and rev happy overall. I however didn't find Polo 1.2 to be sluggish or inadequate.

Polo has better seats all around and Brio seats are adequate but nothing special. Leg space in Brio at the back is a lot more but under thigh support is really lacking.

Do test drive both keeping in mind your requirements and I certainly agree with the narrowed down options between these two cars. Brio service is semi annual and takes cheap semi synthetic oil where as Polo is annual and synthetic which is the prime reason for additional service cost.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:40   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
To add to your confusion further, Brio has better steering feel compared to Polo, but both actually really lack good feel. Brio is more agile due to smaller foot print and both takes sharp u turns well. Reverse parking in Brio is a breeze and that's when you would thank the Honda engineers for effective packaging and visibility.

Brio clutch feels shorter and lighter but Polo gearshift is the best in any manual car, across segments. You feel like changing gears just for the heck of it. Polo brakes, like arup.mishra mentioned is way better, no doubt.

Polo 1.2 has better initial power compared to Brio where it feels sluggish but the latter is all about mid range. This again one would get used to in the long run and Brio is more peppy, refined and rev happy overall. I however didn't find Polo 1.2 to be sluggish or inadequate.

Polo has better seats all around and Brio seats are adequate but nothing special. Leg space in Brio at the back is a lot more but under thigh support is really lacking.

Do test drive both keeping in mind your requirements and I certainly agree with the narrowed down options between these two cars. Brio service is semi annual and takes cheap semi synthetic oil where as Polo is annual and synthetic which is the prime reason for additional service cost.
Seems like a hybrid between the two would have made for the perfect car for me. Anyways it's ok , I'm thinking a test-drive of the two cars would make things a little clearer. And high annual Maintenance and rear legroom is not an issue because I'll mostly be driving the car alone and one-time cost is ok, but then again I guess it's because I'm more inclined towards the Polo, it being a German car and already having a Honda car in the stables. I will get back on this topic once I have TD'ed the two cars.
Old 11th June 2013, 12:54   #367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it's because I'm more inclined towards the Polo, it being a German car and already having a Honda car in the stables.
It can be difficult shopping for a hatchback in the current market if you are not a fan of tallboy designs.

Polo possesses the looks which makes it difficult to ignore, has a very good build quality in general but since you are inclined towards the German technology, be informed that German cars can be quite notorious on grounds of reliability and cost of ownership. Also, has a 3 pod motor which would be far less refined than the competition having 4 cylinders. Else, by far I would have recommended you the Polo.

I perfectly understand your plight, having owned (& still owning) the old Zen, it's difficult to get the deadly combination of looks, performance, economy & cost of ownership; which all the Zen had.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 11th June 2013 at 13:00.
Old 25th June 2013, 21:36   #368
BHPian

Question Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
Hi guys. I am having a 2004 WagonR LXi. It's becoming too old so I want a new hatch. Please give me few options. Here is the budget and priorities:

Budget: 5 lakhs to 8 lakhs. ( Diesel )

Priorities: Efficient
Fast to run
Safety features are a must
Features.

Please help.

Cheers,

Achyuth

Hi guys, now the priority has changed.

Petrol Only.

Light Steering.

A/T.

Cars:

Micra CVT

Brio AT

i10 AT

Santro A/T (Just Kidding)

Pre owned i20.

Please help guys.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 25th June 2013, 22:10   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Petrol Only.

Light Steering.

A/T.

Cars:

Micra CVT

Brio AT

i10 AT

Santro A/T (Just Kidding)

Pre owned i20.

Please help guys.

Cheers,

Achyuth
The Brio AT , simply for its easy to use nature, compact dimensions and Honda's great A.S.S.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:21   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Petrol Only.

Light Steering.

A/T.

Cars:

Micra CVT

Brio AT
And you dont wish to up the level to an Ecosport AT? Or is size a concern?
Or its way beyond the budget?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 22:31   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I believe he had mentioned the 8 lakh budget in the previous post, so the EcoSport AT would be way beyond that (on road), at least a lakh more.
I guess all would be revealed 14 hrs from now....
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 19:24   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The Brio AT , simply for its easy to use nature, compact dimensions and Honda's great A.S.S.
Thanks brother, Brio At, and why not Micra At.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nope, It is way beyond budget. Cost of ES P At:

INR 8.45 lakhs
Now add a 1.5 lakhs to the total.

A whooping 10 lakhs!

10 lakhs to a hatch which is made to look like an SUV?!

That's doesn't make sense.

Surely it's a great car but the AT is simply overpriced.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 26th June 2013, 20:10   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks brother, Brio At, and why not Micra At.
For one, the Brio has a much better engine, a 4 cylinder block(more refined and lesser NVH than the Micra) and more power with Variable Valve Timing.
The A.S.S. is better and more experienced than Nissan. It is also more fun to drive. It is more compact as well, so more easy to drive.
I know you own a Sunny already, so you may feel more familiarity with the brand, so you may be inclined more towards the Nissan (since you may have had good experience)
Old 27th June 2013, 11:32   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
The brio is not a highway car at all.
Hey, could you elaborate on this statement a bit more please? We're seriously considering the Brio. 90% of the car's usage will be single person city driving. But every once in a while we like the odd trip to Coorg, Mangalore or Mumbai.

Why is the Brio not suited for highways? Is it because of the handling, dynamics on bad roads at higher speeds? The lack of boot space? Or is it just that it's not as good as the Swift and the others?

I'm guessing it'll still be better than an Alto, which is the car we use now.

Any more info will be much appreciated.
Old 27th June 2013, 11:59   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Hey, could you elaborate on this statement a bit more please? We're seriously considering the Brio. 90% of the car's usage will be single person city driving. But every once in a while we like the odd trip to Coorg, Mangalore or Mumbai.

Why is the Brio not suited for highways? Is it because of the handling, dynamics on bad roads at higher speeds? The lack of boot space? Or is it just that it's not as good as the Swift and the others?

I'm guessing it'll still be better than an Alto, which is the car we use now.

Any more info will be much appreciated.
The brio is an extremely lightweight car. Or at least that's how it feels. The steering is extremely light which can be a hassle at high speeds.

The brio feels at 100 how a swift feels at 130-140. The swift is way more stable with its larger tires and heavier steering.

The suspension of the brio too is very soft. Again excellent for city driving but when 4-5 people are sitting in the car, the driver can feel the car struggling little bit.

Don't get me wrong. The brio is an amazing car and the swift is nowhere near as far as city usage is concerned. The handling, interior space, the cabin - everything is brilliant. But on the highway, the swift crushes the brio any day.

My suggestion to you - for the price of a top spec petrol swift you could easily get an amaze petrol. In pure dimensions its hardly larger than swift. The amaze brings the best of both worlds. It makes a great city car and a great highway family car too.

If budget doesn't allow the amaze - go for swift if you're a family of 4 or 5. The brio has very little boot space.

Go for the brio if you're a family of 3 or less.
Bluebeem is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread