Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2013, 13:25   #376
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Guys, I am planning on replacing my Santro with a small hatchback for 100% city use. This car will be used as a singe person driven daily commute car and the running will not be more than 40kms/day. I am confused whether to go for a petrol AT or the diesel stick shift. Am also open to considering Petrol manuals if they make more sense financially or otherwise.

Willing to settle down for a base model of any hatcback that can provide an equivalent low-end torque and in-city driveability of the Santro. This is an absolute must since the new car will be driven in the city on congested roads and/or heavy traffic areas and the Santro has been nothing but a blessing during such conditions.

I have my options open and the budget is ~6L. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 28th June 2013 at 13:27.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 13:46   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Guys, I am planning on replacing my Santro with a small hatchback for 100% city use. This car will be used as a singe person driven daily commute car and the running will not be more than 40kms/day. I am confused whether to go for a petrol AT or the diesel stick shift. Am also open to considering Petrol manuals if they make more sense financially or otherwise.

Willing to settle down for a base model of any hatcback that can provide an equivalent low-end torque and in-city driveability of the Santro. This is an absolute must since the new car will be driven in the city on congested roads and/or heavy traffic areas and the Santro has been nothing but a blessing during such conditions.

With a travel of ~40km, which equals to ~15000 kms per year, I would suggest you a diesel car, since petrol car would be too much expensive to run, with around Rs. 150 per day for petrol!

A diesel AT would not be available in your budget of 6 Lacs. So, MT options are Chevy Beat, Ford Figo and Tata Vista.

If space is your concern, then I would say Figo OVER Vista, because of must consistent service and ownership experience.
You have Figo and Beat in your budget. but, Ford does not have rear power windows for the top variant which costs 6 Lacs Ex-showroom. Thus, Beat D would be the Best Car.
It is peppy and easy to drive in the city traffic, with minimal turbo lag and outstanding fuel efficiency. Plus, to cope up with city summer heat, it has ACC. The ICE is okay if you're not an audiophile, otherwise you will have to upgrade the speakers.

Highlighting few features:
  • Auto Climate Control (Segment first)
  • ~170 L boot space (equal to Brio. Ritz has 232L and Swift 204L, Figo has 280L, Vista has 232L)
  • Internally adjustable ORVM (not electrical)
  • 165 section 14" tyres
  • Fog Lamps
  • 4 door power windows
Price: 5.5 Lacs Ex-Delhi.

Is the budget On-Road or Ex-showroom?
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 14:56   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
With a travel of ~40km, which equals to ~15000 kms per year, I would suggest you a diesel car, since petrol car would be too much expensive to run, with around Rs. 150 per day for petrol!

A diesel AT would not be available in your budget of 6 Lacs. So, MT options are Chevy Beat, Ford Figo and Tata Vista.

If space is your concern, then I would say Figo OVER Vista, because of must consistent service and ownership experience.
You have Figo and Beat in your budget. but, Ford does not have rear power windows for the top variant which costs 6 Lacs Ex-showroom. Thus, Beat D would be the Best Car.
It is peppy and easy to drive in the city traffic, with minimal turbo lag and outstanding fuel efficiency. Plus, to cope up with city summer heat, it has ACC. The ICE is okay if you're not an audiophile, otherwise you will have to upgrade the speakers.

Is the budget On-Road or Ex-showroom?
Thank you for those details.

I'm sorry I should have been more clearer. The budget is the ex-showroom price Ahmedabad. And by 40kms, what I meant was that the car would not travel more than 40kms/day. It could even be as less than half of it on any given day (which is why I am confused whether to go for a diesel or a petrol). A/T is more of a tertiary requirement and if its fits the budget then it may be considered. Once again, not hell bent on getting an A/T either.

I would leave Tata out of the equation just because of the Indica's image. Whenever I see an Indica, I can only think of it as a taxi. I have never liked the design either.

The Beat sounds like a good proposition. Even the base Figo would work. I am also considering VW, Nissan, Suzuki, Honda and Hyundai as options. Like I said I am not too worried about creature comforts and this car will get zero upgrades for as long as it stays with me. Hence, I wouldn't mind settling down for the base version of any model - just the bare basics (power steering and A/C) would do.
Old 28th June 2013, 15:18   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for those details.

I'm sorry I should have been more clearer. The budget is the ex-showroom price Ahmedabad. And by 40kms, what I meant was that the car would not travel more than 40kms/day. It could even be as less than half of it on any given day (which is why I am confused whether to go for a diesel or a petrol). A/T is more of a tertiary requirement and if its fits the budget then it may be considered. Once again, not hell bent on getting an A/T either.

I would leave Tata out of the equation just because of the Indica's image. Whenever I see an Indica, I can only think of it as a taxi. I have never liked the design either.

The Beat sounds like a good proposition. Even the base Figo would work. I am also considering VW, Nissan, Suzuki, Honda and Hyundai as options. Like I said I am not too worried about creature comforts and this car will get zero upgrades for as long as it stays with me. Hence, I wouldn't mind settling down for the base version of any model - just the bare basics (power steering and A/C) would do.
Okay. Now I am a bit clear.
Even if your daily drive is not a fixed 40 km, I think you will do at least 1 or 2 long drives in your car in a year, while will sum up and make the annual usage to 12000+ kms, which calls for a diesel. Also, diesel offers better resale value and mileage, though the initial cost is high as well as maintenance cost would also be high.

Now, since your budget is 6 L ex-showroom, I think you should move to B+ segment diesel hatchbacks and consider the following 2 cars (Priority-Wise):

Fiat Punto Active MJD
  • OEM Music System
  • Front Power Windows
  • Comes with wheel covers and black painted rims
  • FIAT ASS is slightly better than VW
  • Interior quality below Ritz

VW Polo Trendline TDI
  • Front Power windows
  • Superior interior quality
  • No Music system
  • Comes with wheel covers and black painted rims
  • Restricted Rear Legroom

I have suggested only 2 cars because they fit your requirement nicely and filling the post with more and more options will leave you nowhere.

Overall, I think Punto to be the best package for you. You need Power Steering and AC, it gives you much more things!

Here is the link to Punto website: http://www.fiat-india.com/2013/punto/

And here you can select model and see the features: http://www.fiat-india.com/specifications/?vehicle=Punto

Last edited by Loud : 28th June 2013 at 15:19. Reason: Typo
Old 28th June 2013, 18:32   #380
Senior - BHPian

^^Why not based Figo diesel then, it's cheap and better to drive in city too.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 19:59   #381
BHPian

@sameerg001 +1 on that. The Figo is indeed a more VFM car here. It looks decent, drives very well within the city. Thanks to its low end torque. But somewhere I find it lacking in terms of the equipment level (completely my opinion).

What I think 9thsphinx should try considering is the beat diesel. Its even more VFM than the Figo (again in my opinion). It is stylish, performs very well and has a very good level of equipment including safety features like ABS and airbags. This all comes within a price bracket of around 6-6.5 lakhs!.
GreyAsta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 10:47   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Okay.

Fiat Punto Active MJD & VW Polo Trendline TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
^^Why not based Figo diesel then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyAsta View Post

What I think 9thsphinx should try considering is the beat diesel.
Thanks guys.

Knowing all of these cars are in my budget, one of them should most probably have what I am looking for - Superior Low-end Torque!

Now which one of these has the best in-city driveability?
Old 29th June 2013, 11:04   #383
BHPian

Talking Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Knowing all of these cars are in my budget, one of them should most probably have what I am looking for - Superior Low-end Torque!

Its the Beat diesel. Go for it. You will love it within the city!. You can squeeze it wherever you want, its easy to park and manouver and at the same time very fuel efficient too.

This was completely my opinion. I suggest you should TD all of these cars and choose the one which suits your needs.

But if you ask me, its the Beat diesel!
GreyAsta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 11:22   #384
BHPian

Quote:
It depends on nature of your driving that what you prefer. I would strongly suggest that take the opinions from here, shortlist few cars and test-drive all those shortlisted cars extensively and then decide which one suites you most. Everyone has different taste and a single car can not suite to all. You may like one car which I don't.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 14:40   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys.

In terms of-
Drivability: Figo Beat Punto
Looks: Punto Beat Figo
Features: Beat Punto Figo
Space: Punto Figo Beat
Price (the lesser the better): Beat Punto Figo
Safety: Figo Punto Beat
Rear Visibility: Figo Punto Beat
A.S.S.: Figo Beat Punto
Size: Punto Figo Beat

For low-end torque, Figo is best. Punto MJD is better in mid-range while the Beat is peppy but bit sluggish (due to 1.0L engine).
For in-city drivability, Figo would be better than Beat because of its driving position. The dashboard of the Beat might look placed high (depending on your height) plus the rear visibility is better in Figo. Punto's IRVM hampers visibility at the rear, which can be easily cured.

So, Figo Titanium would be the best bet. If you are looking for B+ segment cars with nice mid-range, the Punto is also great.
Old 4th July 2013, 12:52   #386
BHPian

Dear Sphinx,
Among the petrol cars, i guess the Santro has the best low end torque(LET).
After using a Santro MT since 1999, selling it off in 2008 and driving a host of cars, Hondas, Nissans, bigger Hyundais and the Octavia and a E46 BMW i am BACK to a pre owned Santro AT eRLX purchased in July 2013.
Why ? let me explain. For pure city driving and especially on crowded roads, the Santro with its good low end torque and narrow tall body is second to none. The only negatives are that its bumpy,outdated, quite hopeless for highway drives and lacks gadgets and gizmos. I also recently test drove the Brio, i10 and the Astar.

Mind you, if the santro AT would have been in production now, i would have bought it new ! Even so, if you prefer buying only new, i think the closest choices are the Ritz petrol AT (expensive !) or the Figo diesel MT. Among the smaller diesel hatchbacks, i think the Figo has the best LET.

Last edited by rxpaul : 4th July 2013 at 12:58.
rxpaul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 13:16   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Dear Sphinx,
Among the petrol cars, i guess the Santro has the best low end torque(LET).
After using a Santro MT since 1999, selling it off in 2008 and driving a host of cars, Hondas, Nissans, bigger Hyundais and the Octavia and a E46 BMW i am BACK to a pre owned Santro AT eRLX purchased in July 2013.
Why ? let me explain. For pure city driving and especially on crowded roads, the Santro with its good low end torque and narrow tall body is second to none. The only negatives are that its bumpy,outdated, quite hopeless for highway drives and lacks gadgets and gizmos. I also recently test drove the Brio, i10 and the Astar.

Mind you, if the santro AT would have been in production now, i would have bought it new ! Even so, if you prefer buying only new, i think the closest choices are the Ritz petrol AT (expensive !) or the Figo diesel MT. Among the smaller diesel hatchbacks, i think the Figo has the best LET.
I am glad to see a comparison directly from a past & current Santro owner. As do you, I absolutely love the Santro for its superior LET, its tallboy design and its ability to be enjoyed and abused. It's a do anything go anywhere car that goes about doing its daily chore without any fuss. The Santro is my daily driver and I still prefer it over my two comparatively newer hatchbacks that are being used only on the weekends.

I can completely understand why you moved back to a Santro, but in my case I would definitely want something different because I am visually tired of seeing this car in my garage since 2005. I am hoping the replacement will be a car equivalent in providing me the same sort of satisfaction and enjoyment as much as the Santro, if not more. It has to be a no-nonsense car that is easy on the pockets and can serve me at least for the next 5 years as my daily workhorse.

I got some interesting suggestions earlier including yours and will be TD'ing these cars soon. In terms of preference and suggestions, I am considering the Ford Figo Diesel, Ritz Diesel, Honda Brio, Hyundai i10, Chevy Beat diesel, Fiat Punto diesel, Nissan Micra Diesel and the VW Polo diesel.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 4th July 2013 at 13:19.
Old 4th July 2013, 15:04   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it is a budget diesel hatchback, then please take a look at the thread below, where this topic has been beaten to death:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...hatchback.html (Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback)
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:20   #389
Senior - BHPian

The Etios and its hatchback brother are based on a tweaked version of a two decade old 7th gen corolla. There is no benchmark in technology here. What they've given us is an ancient platform with a few tweaks here and there. Both the 1.5 petrol and the cut down 1.2 engines in the etios and the liva would probably rank last in terms of refinement. In fact when I got into the car, the engine noise was so intrusive, I for a while thought that the sales guy had got the diesel variant instead of the petrol. The car with 19k on the odo was rattling as if it was more than 5 years old. This is one car that'll age very very quickly.

Don't even get me started on the un-ergonomic interior with the lousy center console or the paper thin build quality and horrible plastics. It is easily the worst built car in the segment - in the even of a crash, god help the occupants.

There's a reason why the etios is primarily being bought by cabbies - its big, cheap to run and fuel efficient. I see no reason to buy one when there are far better options in the market. Not too many people even consider it as an option for their personal car.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2013 at 11:31. Reason: Quoted post deleted
reignofchaos is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
If it is a budget diesel hatchback, then please take a look at the thread below, where this topic has been beaten to death:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...hatchback.html (Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback)
Didn't quite have a budget diesel hatchback in mind when I first started looking. But since my top priority is in-city driveability/best-in-class LET the diesel makes more sense. Other members suggest me the same. I had already looked up the Budget Diesel Hatchback thread that you mentioned above earlier but since I had Petrol and A/T options in to consideration, I put up my question on this thread instead.

One thing is decided at this stage. If I want the best LET (comparable to my Santro) a diesel vehicle it has to be. However, if I decide on going for a petrol car, which amongst these would be a best fit for my top requirement?

1. Suzuki Ritz/Swift
2. Honda Brio
3. Toyota Liva
4. Hyundai i10
5. Volkswagen Polo
6. Nissan Micra

Anyhow, as should be the case, I will be TD'ing all these cars and making my decision - which is obviously the correct way of going about it. Unless someone owning all these cars has a favorite and is willing to chime in

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 4th July 2013 at 15:30.
Closed Thread