Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 4th July 2013, 15:55   #391
BHPian

Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Anyhow, as should be the case, I will be TD'ing all these cars and making my decision - which is obviously the correct way of going about it. Unless someone owning all these cars has a favorite and is willing to chime in
As someone who drives the Brio, in B2B traffic, it is worth its salt. If you typically want only low end, this might let you down a bit, but I find it a lot more driveable because of the tall gearing from 3rd onwards. You can potter along from 30 all the way to 80 and you won't hear the engine complain. This might not work so well if you drive aggressively which is where the want of LET will hurt. Would suggest you do definitely TD it to see if it fits your bill.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 17:05   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Don't even get me started on the un-ergonomic interior with the lousy center console or the paper thin build quality and horrible plastics. It is easily the worst built car in the segment - in the even of a crash, god help the occupants.

Not too many people even consider it as an option for their personal car.
As a Liva diesel owner (7 months, 10.5K) odo, I must say that both are extreme comments. The reality lies somewhere in between. Its neither a technology marvel and nor a piece of trash when compared to its competitors. Like any other car, it has its selling points and drawbacks. No point in repeating them as they are discussed at length in the forum. But posting such extreme comments may mislead the prospective buyers.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2013 at 11:32. Reason: Quoted post deleted
sups is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 12:38   #393
BHPian

Quote:
In terms of preference and suggestions, I am considering the Ford Figo Diesel, Ritz Diesel, Honda Brio, Hyundai i10, Chevy Beat diesel, Fiat Punto diesel, Nissan Micra Diesel and the VW Polo diesel.
Well i am going to follow your thread keenly and see what you choose and also make sure i test drive your finalist (the best LET hatchback). Cheers

Last edited by rxpaul : 5th July 2013 at 12:48.
Old 5th July 2013, 13:07   #394
Senior - BHPian

I was in the market for a diesel hatch and to me the 3 drivers car in the segment are the Swift, Punto & Figo. My requirement was ABS and it's sad that all my 3 options offer ABS only on the top models.

The Swift and Punto top end's were going way beyond my budget and hence the Figo it was. Delivery today

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2013 at 11:32. Reason: Quoted post deleted
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 16:51   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Is there anything else left to say as to who is technically the best in the world ?
Nobody denies the credibility of Toyota as automobile manufacturer. But here the issue is with the specific product "Liva" where toyota has done lost of cost cutting. The refreshed Liva that you have bought is a much better product, but people who bought it 2 years back have reason to complain. Its no doubt a very reliable car, but toyota missed the potential to make it a much better car with the same skeleton.
Old 5th July 2013, 17:40   #396
Senior - BHPian

True, but now with the Hydraulic mount, modifications done to reduce noise coming into the cabin, refreshed interior trim, new side view mirrors the car is a much better offering.

The base price is very good and for those who like to doll it up a host of add ons are available at the dealership showroom itself. As numbers grow these will be available at the local neighbhourhood car accessary shop as well.
Old 5th July 2013, 18:50   #397
Team-BHP Support

@ Desertfox

Used up my 2 smileys there itself, wish I could use more. I am thanking your post for your creative Toyota marketing effort.

I thought Toyota was the one selling a generation old product with outdated technology in India. Having sat in a friends Liva a couple of times I have to say I disagree with everything you say above, and strongly.

Where I agree with you is that the Etios' mechanicals are reliable, and it gives good fuel economy. I haven't sat in the updated version but I am sure it is not such a drastic improvement that we shouldn't compare the Polo/Punto to it.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2013 at 11:33. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 13:02   #398
BHPian

Default Diesel hatch for Both City and Highway Use

Guys, Sorry if its a repeat question:
I am looking for a Diesel Hatch, for city and Highway use.

I am looking to pickup a Diesel hatch from Kerala,I am currently in Bangalore.
(My plans are to move back to Kerala with in an a Couple of years, hence the decision.)

Guys what I am looking at currently is either a Ford Figo EXi (on Road 5.92, Titanium at 6.8) or a Maruti Ritz VDI+ABS (on Road 6.75L).

Cost is a big concern , as I am not looking to spend more than 6 to 6.5 Lakhs.

I might be using the vehicle for Bangalore Traffic ( whitefield) , and highway travel (500 Km one way to Kerala).

My criteria are
1) Driving Comfort & Suspension quality
2) City and Highway driving ability.
3) Fuel Efficiency. ( This covers everything in short heh ?)
4.1) might have to accommodate 5 persons rarely.
4.2) Resale value for the car after 2-4 years (Possible upgrade)

Could you help me suggest a car ,in the budget range.
( I am not looking for TATA cars, as I had some not so pleasant experience with Indica DLG)
Old 9th July 2013, 13:27   #399
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Diesel hatch for Both City and Highway Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Could you help me suggest a car ,in the budget range.
( I am not looking for TATA cars, as I had some not so pleasant experience with Indica DLG)
I think you have hit upon the right choice. Figo is very good. I would suggest a Titanium version.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:39   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
I am looking to pickup a Diesel hatch from Kerala,I am currently in Bangalore.

Cost is a big concern , as I am not looking to spend more than 6 to 6.5 Lakhs.

I might be using the vehicle for Bangalore Traffic ( whitefield) , and highway travel (500 Km one way to Kerala).
Since you are looking for an option which is good for highways, I suggest to stretch a bit and go with the Figo diesel Titanium (around 6.9 lakhs on-road Kerala). With that you get the safety advantage of airbags, ABS etc. Another good alternative is the Punto, but I guess that will be quite a stretch budget-wise.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:23   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Technically even a made for India Toyota is generations ahead of a Fiat Punto.

And wait and see what resale value a Toyota will command. In India too a global trend will not be different. All over the world Toyota is the most popular car, the most reliable, commands the best resale value, has the longest service life, it is bound to happen in India as well.

Last Saturday I took my Liva to the shooting range ( Dr. Karni SIngh SHooting Range ) which is a beautiful drive through some very scenic forest land and hills on a toll road - Gurgaon ardabad Expressway and then a single track winding road through the forests to Surajkund.

It was sheer driving pleasure. Felt like I am driving a Porche. Actually it drove lighter than a Porche.

This is a low slung car, with almost touch controls, smooth clutch, feathertouch gears, brilliant steering with ten to two position finger rests, top quality suspension. throw it at curves at 100 kmph and it comes out absolutely stable. An absolute WOW experience. It was a total 80 KM up an down drive in this lovely cloudy weather. I simply loved it.
Desertfox, you really got to control your Love for Toyota. It is too much PDA.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:25   #402
Senior - BHPian

With 12 different makers in this category the choice is indeed difficult but a wise man would focus only on the 4 Japanese products availavle and the VW. The cars reliability and maintainace costs do matter.

Toyota Etios Liva
Nissan Micra
Suzuki Swift
Suzuki Ritz

maybe conider a VW Polo Diesel

The list should end here, I know people in India actually love Hyundais and rate them as world class products, then there is Korean Chevvy a disguised Daewoo, FORD - to be read as Fault Or Repair Daily, even Mahindra dares to test these waters and Skoda has had enough, ready to pack up. Then there is Tata Indica, whatever remains of it. Choice aplenty but a wise mans focus must remain at the very top.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:59   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think you have hit upon the right choice. Figo is very good. I would suggest a Titanium version.
Thanks bro , for the suggestion. Figo Titanium indeed was my primary choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Since you are looking for an option which is good for highways, I suggest to stretch a bit and go with the Figo diesel Titanium (around 6.9 lakhs on-road Kerala). With that you get the safety advantage of airbags, ABS etc. Another good alternative is the Punto, but I guess that will be quite a stretch budget-wise.
Thanks San, Yup punto would be quite a stretch (she is damn gorgeous though).
Old 9th July 2013, 15:32   #404
BHPian

Quote:
...but a wise man would focus only on the 4 Japanese products availavle and the VW.
What about Honda? They're Japanese too. How do they, in your informed opinion, stack up in terms of quality, reliability and maintenance costs wrt to their India-specific models?
Old 9th July 2013, 15:38   #405
Senior - BHPian

Wink Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
My requirement was ABS and it's sad that all my 3 options offer ABS only on the top models.

The Swift and Punto top end's were going way beyond my budget and hence the Figo it was. Delivery today
Well, Punto mid variant Dynamic does have ABS as standard and was available only for the Diesel variant. Nevertheless a good choice in Figo too.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread