Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2013, 18:33   #631
BHPian

Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Hi Anurag Sir. Just wanted to know what goes behind your verdict of Liva Gd over Swift Vdi. I too am somebody stuck in a similar dilemma actualy. Would like to know your reasoning behind going for Liva top end.
Thanks & regards.
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:09   #632
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had posted a new thread in the 'what car?' section quite a few days back and that is not appearing on the forum. I guessed that mods might have not approved that because this thread exists, and I am supposed to reply on this and ask my questions. Well, here they are..

I am buying a car in the next 3-4 months, and a diesel hatchback is what I hav set my mind on. My daily ride would be around 24 kms of b2b traffic, and another 24 kms of highway-ish traffic. This is going to be my first car.

Q1: Is manual transmission diesel hatchback the way to go for me?

Provided the answer is yes to Q1, I have almost zeroed in what car I want. I am torn between i20 and Punto. My requirements, in order of preference, are as follows:

1. driving pleasure AND mileage. both of them take top spot.
2. after sales service
3. cost of spares
4. Space
5. bells and whistles (i.e. rear parking sensor, electronically controlled ORVMs etc..)
6. Around 6-6.5L on road in Kolkata

Q2: Are these two my best (or only) options? Are there any other cars that I should look at?

Now a few car-specific questions for the choices I have made:

Given I am a noob at driving cars, I would be prone to a little over-revving, clutch based driving initially. Based on the drive condition mentioned before,
Q3: What sort of real-world mileage I can expect from the GP and the i20?

I have seen that the base variant of GP is a little dry in the gadgetry section.

Q4: How sorely the top-end features of GP would be missed in the base variant (i.e. are the nice to have/must have)? Can I opt for some of them later (i.e. I know that rear parking sensors can be fitted, what about other features)?

Waitibng for the mods to approve this post and the forum gurus to respond..
Old 3rd October 2013, 13:32   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft View Post
Hi Guys,

I had posted a new thread in the 'what car?' section quite a few days back and that is not appearing on the forum. I guessed that mods might have not approved that because this thread exists, and I am supposed to reply on this and ask my questions. Well, here they are..

I am buying a car in the next 3-4 months, and a diesel hatchback is what I hav set my mind on. My daily ride would be around 24 kms of b2b traffic, and another 24 kms of highway-ish traffic. This is going to be my first car.

Q1: Is manual transmission diesel hatchback the way to go for me?

Provided the answer is yes to Q1, I have almost zeroed in what car I want. I am torn between i20 and Punto. My requirements, in order of preference, are as follows:

1. driving pleasure AND mileage. both of them take top spot.
2. after sales service
3. cost of spares
4. Space
5. bells and whistles (i.e. rear parking sensor, electronically controlled ORVMs etc..)
6. Around 6-6.5L on road in Kolkata

Q2: Are these two my best (or only) options? Are there any other cars that I should look at?

Now a few car-specific questions for the choices I have made:

Given I am a noob at driving cars, I would be prone to a little over-revving, clutch based driving initially. Based on the drive condition mentioned before,
Q3: What sort of real-world mileage I can expect from the GP and the i20?

I have seen that the base variant of GP is a little dry in the gadgetry section.

Q4: How sorely the top-end features of GP would be missed in the base variant (i.e. are the nice to have/must have)? Can I opt for some of them later (i.e. I know that rear parking sensors can be fitted, what about other features)?

Waitibng for the mods to approve this post and the forum gurus to respond..
My personal choice between i20 and punto would be punto. But that is because of my specific set of requirements and the fact that I felt punto to be more fun to drive albeit a little underpowered.

The most important feature you ll miss in the base variant of punto are the airbags and abs.
Personal opinion is to go for atleast the dynamic version and get rear parking sensors fitted (I did so). Atleast you get abs that way (airbags are absent though). One thing you may miss here is the USB port in the audio. Acc and steering mounted audio controls not a necessity as per me.

i20 is a great car too, just that punto fitted my bill better.

Alternatively look at the Ritz and micra too.

Last edited by vibbs : 3rd October 2013 at 13:34.
vibbs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:08   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
My personal choice between i20 and punto would be punto. But that is because of my specific set of requirements and the fact that I felt punto to be more fun to drive albeit a little underpowered.
Guess you are talking about city driving/quick overtakes. I had the impression that GP is one of the best tourers.

Quote:
The most important feature you ll miss in the base variant of punto are the airbags and abs.
Personal opinion is to go for atleast the dynamic version and get rear parking sensors fitted (I did so). Atleast you get abs that way (airbags are absent though). One thing you may miss here is the USB port in the audio. Acc and steering mounted audio controls not a necessity as per me.
Will keep that in mind, though that might stretch my budget a bit, no?

Quote:
i20 is a great car too, just that punto fitted my bill better.
I have a feeling that it would fit my bill too. When shall I start thinking with my head instead of my heart??

Quote:
Alternatively look at the Ritz and micra too.
Ritz - Not fan of that rear end. Seems like it has been kicked hard out of the factory.

Micra - Seems a little feminine. I have seen the facelift, and the front grill makes me a little uncomfortable.

As you can see, I am very inclined towards the Punto. How's the VW Polo? See, I'm contradicting my own choices now!
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:45   #635
BHPian

Hey crankshaft,
Punto is a pure enthusiast's car, while i20 is the king of premium hatchbacks under 10 lakh. Apart from the vague steering and not so good handling, there is nothing that can beat the i20 in the overall specs features/looks/power/premiumness/refinement/space. This is going to be your first car, the i20 would be a safer bet for you.

Punto is a great tourer no doubt, and I would tell you to look at Punto only if you fully understand what you are getting into.

While Punto is the dynamical benchmark, i20 boasts its feature list, you can also look at Polo, and maybe Swift (don't know if you like it, too common maybe?). Polo is an equally competent car, great ride and handling, good power, quality interiors, great looker, decent economy

Your choice.
Cheers.
ahmad.007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 17:27   #636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad.007 View Post
Hey crankshaft,
Punto is a pure enthusiast's car, while i20 is the king of premium hatchbacks under 10 lakh. Apart from the vague steering and not so good handling, there is nothing that can beat the i20 in the overall specs features/looks/power/premiumness/refinement/space. This is going to be your first car, the i20 would be a safer bet for you.
what about GC of i20 and polo? Seems a little low.. Would they confidently take on potholes? And what about diesel economy?

Quote:
Punto is a great tourer no doubt, and I would tell you to look at Punto only if you fully understand what you are getting into.
Sounds scary! Also read a review of Garodia Fiat (only Fiat A** in Kolkata), and can not say that I was very hopeful about them!
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:32   #637
BHPian

Quote:
what about GC of i20 and polo? Seems a little low.. Would they confidently take on potholes? And what about diesel economy?
Yeah! About the GC, its pretty low on the i20 and with the soft suspension setup I have heard people scrapping the underbody all the time. Good point you mentioned here, if Hyundai could stiffen up the suspension they will have us (the enthusiasts) too.
And as polo has a little stiffer setup it takes potholes without much drama, and does not scrape much, I kept a friend's polo tdi for a month, no problem at all with the GC (city confinements, sometimes moderately bad roads).
While I cannot say much on fuel economy, but Polo should be the most fuel efficient out of the three. The polo which I had kept for sometime gave me 17 kmpl in city (for the same sedate driving style my Beat D gives me 19.5 kmpl).
The i20 should give around 13-15 kmpl in city, and Punto being heavy and using hydraulic steering should give the least mileage. I have heard people quoting 12-14 kmpl in city.

Quote:
Sounds scary! Also read a review of Garodia Fiat (only Fiat A** in Kolkata), and can not say that I was very hopeful about them!
Yes Fiat ASS can be a nightmare. The spare part availability/cost is also an issue. And Fiat's network is not that great. They are improvong for sure, but they are still far far behind Maruti and Hyundai.
Old 3rd October 2013, 19:30   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Fiat ASS can be a nightmare. The spare part availability/cost is also an issue. And Fiat's network is not that great. They are improvong for sure, but they are still far far behind Maruti and Hyundai.
What about vw service and spares? Better than fiat? You've almost sold me the polo tdi.. :-D
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:33   #639
BHPian

Quote:

Guess you are talking about city driving/quick overtakes. I had the impression that GP is one of the best tourers.

Will keep that in mind, though that might stretch my budget a bit, no?

As you can see, I am very inclined towards the Punto. How's the VW Polo? See, I'm contradicting my own choices now!
Punto is a good tourer, because of the well balanced ride and handling.

i20 is actually all that one would want from a hatch. As Ahmed said it has space, plush ride ( although too plush for me), great quality and features. But for me, the light steering and ultra soft suspension killed it. Many people would buy it precisely for those very reasons.

Polo in my books was very close to punto over all. Where it trumps punto, is in the interior quality and that wonderfully slick gearshift. Punto's rubbery gear shift pales in comparison. I picked the punto because I felt the ride to be slightly more to my liking. Also the vibrations are a touch more. I liked it (I like slightly gruff note more than an ultra refined note) but was worried about the longevity of a 3 cyl mill. Also the high spare part cost too with polo.
Final trump for punto was the price of punto dynamic mjd (with abs) for 30k more than polo petrol top version.

Dynamic costed me 6.97 on road Pune.
vibbs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 22:41   #640
BHPian

Quote:

What about vw service and spares? Better than fiat? You've almost sold me the polo tdi.. :-D
Haha, thank you, that is flattering.
There are more polos and i20s than puntos in my city (Lucknow, people are not daring enough I might say ), so as a simple rule of thumb the spare availability and service would be better at VW and Hyundai than at Fiat in my city. I have only seen 2-3 Rapids in my city, why? because there is no Škoda service centre here (VW killed it), the nearest is 90kms away in Kanpur, and so the Vento triumphs the Rapid here (200:1). Spare part cost is a different thing and VW charges a good premium for the parts. But I think the costs are more or less the same for all the three hatches (I am not too sure) with VW's prices 5-10% higher than others. But the higher resale price of Polo compared to Punto should offset these considerations.
I don't want to be a guy who kills a potential Punto customer. Punto is a masterpiece.
Polo is about 80% of Punto in handling and 90% in build quality, add the quality interiors, great fit and finish and a VW badge.
i20 is for the comfort oriented and luxury minded. Good for straighs only.
I say if you go for Punto, go for the 90Hp version, else Polo would suffice.
And please do get a Td of the cars and that too an extensive one. In the end its the feel that the car gives you.
Old 4th October 2013, 03:37   #641
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjango View Post
Hi Anurag Sir. Just wanted to know what goes behind your verdict of Liva Gd over Swift Vdi. I too am somebody stuck in a similar dilemma actualy. Would like to know your reasoning behind going for Liva top end.
I actually prefer the Swift over any hatchback because of the ride, sporty feel, binds the driver to the car + road but the space and rear leg room with a slight claustrophobic feeling that develops is what can be a deal breaker for a few (never for me as I will be on the drivers seat).

Where the Liva scores is for its maker - Toyota. A tension-free, reliable ownership. The only and deal breaker for me in the Liva is the interiors - worst designed central console. If Toyota repairs this then it will sell in good numbers.

Overall it boils down to what is your requirement - no fun and only point A to point B transport without any show-off, I would say the Liva but you want to do this in style then it is the Swift.

PS: Sorry for the late reply Pjango, wasn't well so could log on to Team-BHP.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 08:12   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Spare part availability can be an issue at some dealerships. But I think it wont be in Kolkata, since its a big city with a single dealership. Best to talk to some existing Kolkata based Fiat owners who can tell you more details about the service center.

But spare part availability is only an issue with parts which are rarely consumed. For regular stuff there wont be an issue. And keep in mind FIAT's are damn reliable, you wont find too many issues to deal with so that you need some rare parts. To give you an example, my Punto has been to the service center 5 times in the last 3 years and 10 months.

But as far as spare part and service costs are concerned FIAT has everybody beat. Maruti spares etc are not much costlier, but you visit the service station far more often, thanks to shorter service intervals. Hyundai and VW are far costlier than FIAT.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 09:38   #643
BHPian

Smile Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
I don't want to be a guy who kills a potential Punto customer. Punto is a masterpiece.
Polo is about 80% of Punto in handling and 90% in build quality, add the quality interiors, great fit and finish and a VW badge.
i20 is for the comfort oriented and luxury minded. Good for straighs only.
I say if you go for Punto, go for the 90Hp version, else Polo would suffice.
And please do get a Td of the cars and that too an extensive one. In the end its the feel that the car gives you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
But as far as spare part and service costs are concerned FIAT has everybody beat. Maruti spares etc are not much costlier, but you visit the service station far more often, thanks to shorter service intervals. Hyundai and VW are far costlier than FIAT.
so to sum up:

Punto - GREAT handling, build
GOOD spare cost and availability
OK mileage, interiors
UNKNOWN service quality

Polo - GREAT build, interiors, mileage
GOOD handling, service quality
OK spare cost and availability

(I'm not mentioning the i20 any more, mostly had that in list for gadgetry, but I guess polo can keep up on that front. Not a fan of the i20 looks)

Looks like the TD, and family member's opinion would be the decider...
Thanks for your help guys will update you about the final choice!!
Old 4th October 2013, 10:24   #644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
so to sum up:

Punto - GREAT handling, build
GOOD spare cost and availability
OK mileage, interiors
UNKNOWN service quality

Polo - GREAT build, interiors, mileage
GOOD handling, service quality
OK spare cost and availability

Any reasons why the Swift is not on the list? Amazing driver's car. And a great Maruti service to go with it.
Old 4th October 2013, 10:34   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any reasons why the Swift is not on the list? Amazing driver's car. And a great Maruti service to go with it.
yep, I've heard a lot of praises about the Swift. No offense to Swift or Maruti, but it's so common on the roads, and I'm looking for a little exclusivity here.

Actually my family's initial choice was Swift Dzire, but the I starter kicking and screaming for a sexy hatch.
Closed Thread