Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2014, 19:19   #796
BHPian
 
commonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

I didn't understand this
"Not Looking at Swift / Ritz because Maruti dealers offer bare minimum discounts and as far as resale is considered, what I'll lose at the time of selling the car, I'm gaining it right now in form of discounts" statement.

Ritz is heavily discounted now and it is also having good resale value.
You want to say that your existing car is not getting any good resale value?
If you are not getting good resale value in Maruti sell it outside .

Last edited by commonman : 26th April 2014 at 19:20. Reason: resetting the line and spelling
commonman is offline  
Old 27th April 2014, 00:22   #797
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I didn't understand this
"Not Looking at Swift / Ritz because Maruti dealers offer bare minimum discounts and as far as resale is considered, what I'll lose at the time of selling the car, I'm gaining it right now in form of discounts" statement.
My bad here. Should have been more clear. This statement was made with respect to the discounts currently offered on the Punto.

What I meant was, even though a few years down the line, Punto will fetch a lower resale than the swift, but the discounts right now on the Punto(which are greater than the swift), will make up for it.
Abh1nav is offline  
Old 27th April 2014, 21:51   #798
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Was out for car hunting today, and checked out Fiat Punto 1.3 Active, Ford Figo 1.4 Zxi and the Swift Ldi today.

Went to the Fiat showroom first, as it was the Punto which made me think of buying a new car. The showroom was empty and we were the only customers! TD car wasn't available then, but a dynamic variant was sent home in the evening. I loved the drive! Maybe more because Punto has somehow occupied a special place in the heart!

The TD was Swift Ldi couldn't take place as the car had gone for servicing!

Drove the Ford Figo as well, but didn't like it as much.

Anyways, here's the quote for the 3 cars after discounts (on road, Delhi):

Punto 1.3 Active: 5.38 Lakhs (freebies offered after negotiations: autocop central locking, door visors and parking sensors)
Swift Ldi: 6.02 lakhs
Figo ZXi / Exi: 6.05 / 5.71 Lakhs

Need the thoughts of people here about the deals being offered. Also, any other suggestions?
Abh1nav is offline  
Old 27th April 2014, 22:00   #799
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 375
Thanked: 295 Times
Default

Can I just add one thing ?
Get a variant with ABS and AIRBAGS.

You'll regret not getting them. They're lifesavers. ABS works at speeds as low as 10km/hr during the rain or equally slippery/ low traction surface.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 10:56   #800
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 132
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Guys, I'm about to buy a diesel car.

My budget is around 6 lakh. The cars I have short listed are Grand i10 sportz (6.3 lakh after discounts), i20 era (6.5 lakh) and Swift vdi (6.35 lakh post discount).

My office is 25 km from home, on the noida expressway. So the daily drive will include 10kms each way on the expressway at close to 100kmph. Since l be spending quite a bit of time on the road, I need a car that's fun to drive.

I liked the i20 the best since I'm looking for a high powered car. But it had the highest turbo lag among the three and I'm worried about how big a problem it will be. Also, reading the i20 thread gives one an impression that maintenance costs are quite steep. The third concern is regarding rumours that an updated model may be round the corner. Also, era has the fewest goodies.

The second choice is the grand i10. I totally loved the features list and the interiors but I found it underpowered. I don't know how it's performance on the expressway is going to be like since the td is restricted for the time being to around the showroom. Also, I already own a 1.1 litre i10 era for the past six years so maybe I should look for some variety?

The last choice is the swift. Best handling but lacks the wow factor of grand i10. Plus the dungeon like back seat and tiny boot are a worry.

What do you guys suggest? Does it make sense to go for an i20 at this stage? Should I go with the tried and tested swift or opt for the funky grand i10? Please note all other options have been weighed and eliminated for purely personal reasons.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by naru : 28th April 2014 at 11:00.
naru is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 11:08   #801
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,612
Thanked: 8,609 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
I liked the i20 the best since I'm looking for a high powered car. But it had the highest turbo lag among the three and I'm worried about how big a problem it will be. Also, reading the i20 thread gives one an impression that maintenance costs are quite steep. The third concern is regarding rumours that an updated model may be round the corner. Also, era has the fewest goodies.
Not sure when is the I20 facelift in the line. But of the of the given list, I still think I20 diesel makes a lot of sense. Space, equipments and engine. Yes, there may be lag, but I think you should get over it.

Now, as to the fun to drive car, that I think you define, what is fun to drive. Don't know how many on a daily basis drive at 80-100 on a corner. I think more than drive, the only point against is the soft suspension. You should look at that aspect more than anything else.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 11:21   #802
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,041
Thanked: 2,086 Times
Smile Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
I need a car that's fun to drive.
Now this is a surprising requirement considering the shortlisted cars. Except for the swift which may meet the requirement somewhat I feel you need to inlcude two more cars in the list. Ford Figo Titanium and Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic. I would suggest to test drive these two to actually know what a FTD car is.

i20 is a bling bling car (no offence meant to owners), Grand i10 is a new offering plagued with old Hyundai issues of suspensions. Swift is now boring.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 12:05   #803
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 132
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure when is the I20 facelift in the line. But of the of the given list, I still think I20 diesel makes a lot of sense. Space, equipments and engine. Yes, there may be lag, but I think you should get over it.

Now, as to the fun to drive car, that I think you define, what is fun to drive. Don't know how many on a daily basis drive at 80-100 on a corner. I think more than drive, the only point against is the soft suspension. You should look at that aspect more than anything else.
I sure won't be doing 80-100 around a corner anytime soon for me with my limited driving experience, fun to drive will be something that is the opposite of an i10. In Connaught Place it is acceptable, but on the noida expressway it feels underpowered, flimsy, mediocre. Doing 100 there is no thrills or surge of power, only boredom.

That is one reason I'm gravitating towards i20 with its bigger engine and more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Now this is a surprising requirement considering the shortlisted cars. Except for the swift which may meet the requirement somewhat I feel you need to inlcude two more cars in the list. Ford Figo Titanium and Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic. I would suggest to test drive these two to actually know what a FTD car is.

i20 is a bling bling car (no offence meant to owners), Grand i10 is a new offering plagued with old Hyundai issues of suspensions. Swift is now boring.
Punto is not being considered because I want a hassle free ownership experience. I'm tding the figo later today, but the missus don't like the looks.

also a little bling never hurt anyone. I'm a total sucker for grand i10s push button start and self folding mirrors

Last edited by naru : 28th April 2014 at 12:09.
naru is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 12:32   #804
BHPian
 
sinharishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indirapuram,GZB
Posts: 390
Thanked: 698 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
My office is 25 km from home, on the noida expressway. So the daily drive will include 10kms each way on the expressway at close to 100kmph.
Naru, assuming that the noida expressway you mentioned here is the Noida-Greater Noida Expressway here's my suggestion :

For that 20 kms daily close to "100 Kmph" on "NOIDA EXPRESSWAY" you should look for a hatch that offers ABS and AIRBAGS.

The way people drive their cars on this so called expressway is just crazy!

Plus,

Your daily drive would be 50 Kms, right? Why you looking for a diesel? Why not get a top end Grand i10/Swift petrol? Both of them have sufficient power and offers ABS and Airbags too.

Last edited by sinharishi : 28th April 2014 at 12:38.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 12:47   #805
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 132
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Naru, assuming that the noida expressway you mentioned here is the Noida-Greater Noida Expressway here's my suggestion :

For that 20 kms daily close to "100 Kmph" on "NOIDA EXPRESSWAY" you should look for a hatch that offers ABS and AIRBAGS.

The way people drive their cars on this so called expressway is just crazy!

Plus,

Your daily drive would be 50 Kms, right? Why you looking for a diesel? Why not get a top end Grand i10/Swift? Both of them have sufficient power and offers ABS and Airbags too.
Yes it is the noida-greater noida expressway with all kinds on driving madness on display.

I want the safety features but for some strange reason you need to first pay for chrome plating on various parts, a rubbish stereo, push button start, keyless entry and all kind of sundry and unnecessary gizmos before you can opt for abs and airbags, making them unaffordable.

Yes, I will be driving 50km daily. With EMI (I'm buying on company lease) and fuel cost combined, diesel is working out to be cheaper for me.

Last edited by naru : 28th April 2014 at 12:52.
naru is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 13:10   #806
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
What about the Polo Comfortline 1.2 Petrol ? The Comfortline comes with ABS and Airbags and is around 6L. Are the service and maintenance costs very high or is it manageable ?
The Polo is an amazing car and I am saying this as I have always been a Maruti loyalist until I bought the Polo. I have also realized that Marutis maybe cheaper to buy (as they lack the quality and finesse) and are assumed to be cheaper to maintain but believe me I have moved from a Maruti (Japanese - cheaper to maintain) to a Volkswagen (German - more expensive to maintain) and do not regret it for a single day.

I had bought my Swift Vxi in 2005 for 4.7 lakhs on road and this car started showing signs of corrosion with in three years of ownership. I bought my Polo 1.6 in 2012 for 7.4 lakhs on road and it comes with a 06 year anti corrosion warranty. This is something Maruti cannot offer till today even though they have been in the market since forever! That is the difference in quality between the two companies.

Yes to maintain the Polo is much higher as compared to the Swift. I pay around 11k to service my Polo which needs to be done once a year or 15k kms where as I used to pay around 4k to service my Swift which was every 10k kms which also means that it was twice a year. So in reality, the difference is not much for the quality that you get.
Epic is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 13:11   #807
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post

Yes, I will be driving 50km daily. With EMI (I'm buying on company lease) and fuel cost combined, diesel is working out to be cheaper for me.
I would suggest Ritz or Swift in it is ZDi avatar. I have a similar usage pattern but more driving - 110 kms a day.

Had a Ritz for 3 years clicking 1 lakh kms will nil issues in maintanence. Very happy with the car and MASS. So sold it off and now I own a Swift ZDi which has now clocked 11500 kms in 4 months.

Both the cars are extremely comfortable but yes the Swift lacks in space and boot size which is a problem if you use it for outstation trips. If used single then Swift will do it else look at Ritz ZDi.

The other car I suggest is a Polo GT TDI.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th April 2014 at 13:13.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 13:26   #808
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 132
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I would suggest Ritz or Swift in it is ZDi avatar. I have a similar usage pattern but more driving - 110 kms a day.

Had a Ritz for 3 years clicking 1 lakh kms will nil issues in maintanence. Very happy with the car and MASS. So sold it off and now I own a Swift ZDi which has now clocked 11500 kms in 4 months.

Both the cars are extremely comfortable but yes the Swift lacks in space and boot size which is a problem if you use it for outstation trips. If used single then Swift will do it else look at Ritz ZDi.

The other car I suggest is a Polo GT TDI.

Anurag.
80% of the time I'll be the sole occupant in the car. It's the other 20% time when I have to ferry parents/relatives/luggage that the space crunch will pinch.

Ritz is not being considered purely for subjective reasons. I just don't like how it looks. Polo is way out of my budget.
naru is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 14:04   #809
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
Can I just add one thing ?
Get a variant with ABS and AIRBAGS.

You'll regret not getting them. They're lifesavers. ABS works at speeds as low as 10km/hr during the rain or equally slippery/ low traction surface.
Unfortunately, my budget doesn't permit me to go for the MJD Punto Dynamic variant, as it is 1 lakh higher than the Active one.

On the other hand, if I consider the Figo 1.4 Zxi, which just falls in my budget, even that offers only the driver's side airbag. No ABS on the Zxi as well.
Abh1nav is offline  
Old 28th April 2014, 19:30   #810
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NCR
Posts: 132
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: The Ultimate B2-Segment Hatchbacks Comparison!

I TDed the Figo today.

Though it's a refreshing change from a rollicking tall-boy ride (I own an i10 era), the car itself (exteriors, interiors, quality, fit and finish) feels painfully dated and is crying out for a refresh. Buying something like this is like time travelling back to 2010.

Top-end Titanium (white) with ABS, airbags and alloys is being quoted at 6.4 lakh after discounts.

Guys please advice: Which is best bet for stability and power at high speeds combined with ease of driving in bumper to bumper traffic. I've shortlisted i20 crdi era, swift vdi and grand i10 sportz crdi. Since Im unable to TD them for a longer distance I am unsure about i20's turbo lag and Grand i10's punny engine. Swift just has a space problem.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by naru : 28th April 2014 at 19:37.
naru is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The B2-segment Hatchbacks Comparison Thread! RavenAvi Hatchbacks 410 20th September 2017 23:31
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 5-6 (P) & 6-7 (D) Lakh Range jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 27 25th December 2014 17:22
FEATURES comparison of Hatchbacks in the price range Rs 5-5.85L (P) & 6.00-6.85L (D) jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 26 31st January 2013 12:27
Base variant FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 28 3rd November 2012 20:27
FEATURES comparison of select Hatchbacks & Sedans in Rs 6-7 (P) & 7-8 (D) lakhs range jessie007 The Indian Car Scene 10 24th April 2012 14:13


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks