Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 29th August 2011, 19:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down i10 iRDE2 -> No reviews, no ownership reports, no test drives :(

I was looking at a hachback in the 3.5 - 4 lac range and the only 2 worthwhile tallboy hatchbacks (IMHO) are the WagonR LXi and Hyundai i10 Era 1.1 (iRDE2).

I am more inclined towards the i10 1.1, since with the i10 (for about 10k more than WR LXi) you get these goodies missing in the WR:

1. 4 cylinder engine with perhaps (?) better lower end torque
2. Gear shift indicator
3. Better interior quality
4. Better gear shift quality
5. Beige interiors
6. Auto antenna
7. Tachometer
8. Internally adjustable OVRMs

However, quite surprisingly, there is not even a single ownership review/test drive report on this car in the forums.
Heck, i visited Capital Hyundai a few days back in Noida, and they don't even have a test drive vehicle for iRDE2. Salesman told me to test drive Kappa2 instead, i obviously refused.

Searched T-BHP, and other online websites and forums, No success. :(

Any reason why the iRDE2 is so rare ?

Last edited by DCEite : 29th August 2011 at 20:10.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: i10 iRDE2 -> No reviews, no ownership reports, no test drives :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I was looking at a hachback in the 3.5 - 4 lac range and the only 2 worthwhile tallboy hatchbacks (IMHO) are the WagonR LXi and Hyundai i10 Era 1.1 (iRDE2).

I don't think its so rare DCEite. All the Era versions that we see on road and some Magna variants are actually iRDE2 powered only. If I remember correctly, the i10 1.1 uses the same Epsilon engine that powers the Santro and the earlier i10s before the Kappa variants were launched. Its a sprightly performer and is a boon in city traffic. I say this because I have owned a Santro.

As you rightly said, the i10 1.1 is definitely a better car than the Wagon-R LXi. In addition to all the positives that you listed, the i10 also looks better, handles better and is more stable on highways.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 20:54   #3
BHPian

Quote:

I am more inclined towards the i10 1.1, since with the i10 (for about 10k more than WR LXi) you get these goodies missing in the WR:

However, quite surprisingly, there is not even a single ownership review/test drive report on this car in the forums.
Heck, i visited Capital Hyundai a few days back in Noida, and they don't even have a test drive vehicle for iRDE2. Salesman told me to test drive Kappa2 instead, i obviously refused.

Searched T-BHP, and other online websites and forums, No success. :(

Glad you have liked it. Even I have an i10-1.2 Kappa version. Fantastic car,choppy ride on bad roads,too sensitive brakes,foot well for front passenger too uncomfortable.FE is not upto the claim- only 10-11 in City.Rest all great.

About the review-some one has to bell the cat. Why don't you venture out and do the favour of writing that review for us?

My i10 is 3 yrs old-hence no plans on a review now.

Hope you will enjoy the i10-best of luck.

Last edited by charthom : 29th August 2011 at 20:56.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:15   #4
BHPian

Sir,
I have been using the I10 IRDE Magna since Dec-2007. trust me it is a treat to drive this cute car. I had many heads turning during the first few months as I had the YELLOW colour. Since then I have driven 85 K kms without a change in clutch or head lights or any suspension issues. Cabin noise is near to zero.
The spares are expensive like the wiper blades are almost close to INR 400/- And now I have been told i need to replace the steering rack (thanks to mumbai potholes) and that is going to cost a BOMB of 13.5K. but still.
Sir my take is; Go for it blindly, IRDE is a powerful engine and has a wonderful pickup within the city.
krdeshmukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 22:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

From most of the replies it seems that not many of us are aware that there is a difference between the old IRDE and the new IRDE2.

AFAIK, IRDE2 produces the peak torque at a much higher RPM than the IRDE. Unfortunately i don't have the specs of both ready with me for comparison, and neither a driving comparison between the two. I had driven the old IRDE a couple of years back, and it had a very good low end response (something i appreciate a lot for city commuting).
I am not sure if IRDE2 is as good as in 1st and 2nd gears as the old IRDE or the eRLX engine of Santro.
Hence the thread.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:10   #6
BHPian

The comparison of the 2 cars (with irde and irde2 engines) is given on the following link:

Specs Comparison - Hyundai i10 Magna iRDE2 vs Hyundai i10 Magna - CarWale

As we can see, the torque on both engines is the same i.e. 99Nm. BUT, on the new car, it peaks at 4500RPM instead of 2800 on the old car. Resulting in a much peakier engine. IMO you are better off with the more Fuel efficient + powerful Kappa2 or the WagonR / Santro (which has the old engine)
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Santro is another tallboy hatch.
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:23   #8
BHPian

It is true that the I10 IRDE2 is the forgotten sibling among the two. I too have not heard much about this engine or its capabilities, but suffice to say the quality of fit/fitment would be the same across all variants, irrespective of the engine variant.

As far as I recall, the difference between Era 1.1 IRDE2 was merely Rs 30K. If so, I would recommend the Magna 1.2 VTVT as I was told the VTVT engine is a superior engine and has far resale value.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:34   #9
BHPian

You have raised a very valid point. Even I have not come across a single review / ownership experience for the irde2.

IIRC, I had requested the mods to cover the irde2 also in the refreshed i10 review, but AFAIK it was not done.

I own irde1 and can reassure you that it is an excellent car for its price.

For irde2, I can give some suggestions :
1. Contact Hyundai customer care and request them for TD
2. Request the Hyundai agency to provide contact numbers of irde2 owners and ask them for feedback and possibly request for a TD
3. Get friendly with a service advisor and ask him to provide you a TD when some irde2 customer brings his car for servicing

Option 3 might sound a bit unethical, but would be easiest to implement.

Finally, do consider Santro GL plus also.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 13:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Because Hyundai doesn't want to sell this low margin variant. It's there in the brochures to claim 'our price starts from 3.5L' and nothing else.

No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to get a TD of iRde2 i10.
I tried through 4 dealerships and none of them had one. The best part is even the SPs will try their very best, to disuade you from buying this variant and ask you to go for kappa. I seriously considered this car for buying, but went away when the SPs refused to sell even wheel caps along with this variant.

Last edited by Daewood : 30th August 2011 at 13:21.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 13:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Because Hyundai doesn't want to sell this low margin variant. It's there in the brochures to claim 'our price starts from 3.5L' and nothing else.

No matter how hard you try, you won't be able to get a TD of iRde2 i10.
I tried through 4 dealerships and none of them had one. The best part is even the SPs will try their very best, to disuade you from buying this variant and ask you to go for kappa. I seriously considered this car for buying, but went away when the SPs refused to sell even wheel caps along with this variant.
I think the dealers are creating this problem as they may have lower margin on this variant. I really doubt that Hyundai would make some product and then not want to sell it.

The base variant of i10 is D-Lite. Era is the second variant. So i10 starting price would be governed by D-Lite.

When I purchased my i10 ERA irde 2.5 years back, I also faced similar problems from the dealers. They tried to convince me to go for the kappa variant and refused to sell accessories like wheel caps and door rubbing strips. These accessories were not an issue for me, as I could easily get them outside.

But I never had a problem getting a TD. In fact, I took 2 TDs from 2 different agencies before finalising the car.

I request the OP to send a mail to Hyundai and bring the matter to the notice of Hyundai. Please don't let the greedy dealers kill a lovely car.

Rohan
Old 30th August 2011, 14:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But I never had a problem getting a TD. In fact, I took 2 TDs from 2 different agencies before finalising the car.
Those days all dealers had TD vehicles of iRde1 because i10 was launched with iRde1 and kappa came in late.

Things were different when iRde1 was there. Back then you also had a magna variant for iRde1. If Hyundai's intention was not to side line iRde1, they wouldn't have stopped production of iRde magna, which was a hot-seller.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 14:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Those days all dealers had TD vehicles of iRde1 because i10 was launched with iRde1 and kappa came in late.

Things were different when iRde1 was there. Back then you also had a magna variant for iRde1. If Hyundai's intention was not to side line iRde1, they wouldn't have stopped production of iRde magna, which was a hot-seller.
Yes I completely agree with this point. Dealers already had the iRDE1 TD cars, when kappa was launched. So it was easy to get the TDs of iRDE1 even after kappa was launched.

iRDE Magna was discontinued after kappa Magna was launched. But after some time, iRDE Magna was brought back by Hyundai. Thats why I feel that Hyundai wants to sell both engine options, but the dealers are not promoting iRDE properly, possibly because of lower margins.

This issue should be brought to the notice of Hyundai.

Rohan
Old 30th August 2011, 14:50   #14
BHPian

There was a comparison between i10 1.1 and 1.2 engines in some auto magazine long back.Dont remember the finer details,but as regards power delivery the verdict was that the 1.1 is a better city car and the 1.2 a better highway car.I think both would be equally good.
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Hi DCEite,

Why don't you become the first T-bhpian to do a comparison between irde2 and kapp2.

I had done a comparison between irde1 and Kapp1 some time ago. I found the irde1 better than kapp1 in terms of drivability and roll on. I had only gone till around 80 kmph. I guess Kapp1 would have outshone irde1 after that.

I drive a Santro Xing erlx and seem to get more mileage than Kapp1 i10 of my friend. This is surprising since the mileage figures suggested by the company state otherwise. I guess since Kapp1 is more peaky in its power delivery you tend to use the throttle more esp in city usage.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote