Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 16th September 2011, 19:38   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Deciding on a budget diesel hatchback

You ruled out the Polo because of the 3-pot engine, how come the Beat still makes the cut?

I would say: GET the Beat: because it is a young person's car and the reviews have ben pretty favourable, plus the fact that you will get a nice frugal city-cruiser. The Figo is sensible but not something I see a college kid ripping about it. The Swift is awesome but is it really a "budget" hatch? And who wants to wait 6 months when you have other options?

All the best!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 17:46   #47
BHPian

Don't intend to hijack the thread but had a similar query as the OP with just one question being left unanswered. Just wanted to know the FE of the hatches in consideration since that is a major deciding factor:

Swift D / Chevy Beat D / Ford Figo / VW Polo D / i20 D

Even approximate figures are most welcome.

Thanks

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 7th October 2011 at 17:49.
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 21:36   #48

Hey guys,

I've recently booked an I20 Asta Diesel.

What I liked about the car? (also, always wanted in my new car!)
- its loaded with features that puts most sedans to shame and so does the space, the quality of interiors and the design is fantastic, the cabin is well-insulated from outside noise, a very silent and powerful 1.4L 5-Speed MT along-with an above average fuel efficiency.

What I've been enlightened on, in this forum (negatives of the car):
- Crappy AC, Ride Quality, mainly the shock-absorbers and a poor steering feedback. Some of you have also mentioned 'not so comfy' front seats, steering rattling, et al.

I've actually test-driven the vehicle prior to purchasing, and I actually felt all of the negatives mentioned above are totally nonexistent! I mean, either I might be gravely mistaken or the TD vehicle that I drove was simply 'one in a million' awesome!

Please advise. Have I made a good purchase here? Or you feel I should have gone for the Swift ZDI, Grande Punto or any of the other powerful diesel premium-hatches?

Please feel free to be totally frank; I still have time to cancel my i-20 booking (if need be), since I'd lose-out only around 2K.

Thanks.
Ram R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 22:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram R. View Post
Hey guys,

- its loaded with features that puts most sedans to shame and so does the space, the quality of interiors and the design is fantastic, the cabin is well-insulated from outside noise, a very silent and powerful 1.4L 5-Speed MT along-with an above average fuel efficiency.

- Crappy AC, Ride Quality, mainly the shock-absorbers and a poor steering feedback. Some of you have also mentioned 'not so comfy' front seats, steering rattling, et al.

I've actually test-driven the vehicle prior to purchasing, and I actually felt all of the negatives mentioned above are totally nonexistent! I mean, either I might be gravely mistaken or the TD vehicle that I drove was simply 'one in a million' awesome!

Please advise. Have I made a good purchase here? Or you feel I should have gone for the Swift ZDI, Grande Punto or any of the other powerful diesel premium-hatches?

Please feel free to be totally frank; I still have time to cancel my i-20 booking (if need be), since I'd lose-out only around 2K.

Thanks.
I think i20 Asta is a great choice. It justifies the price you pay for it and it looks better than the New swift IMO. I am sure it even has better space (rear and boot) than the Swift.
Swift has always been a great car, and i do not doubt its capabilities, but i believe that the new Swift is overpriced for what it offers.

Just my 2 cents...Enjoy your Uber cool drive (If u decide to get one)
mayank10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 22:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks.
If its a family car you were on the look-out for then the i20 asta makes perfect sense except for the rattling steering. The AC is a problem only in the petrol, not so much in the diesel i've been told.

However, if this is a second car and you love to drive then for city usage and a mix of highways Swift ZDI makes perfect sense. Purely for the highways get the Punto, if service in your city isn't an issue.

Even though the i20 is slightly expensive, it worth it IMO. It has very good interior quality, space better than Swift or Punto and makes more sense as a family car than the Punto or Swift.

All the best with your decision!
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 23:59   #51
BHPian

From what i remember the i20 diesel also has the same AC compresson about 109cc as the petrol and it's not too effective. The other issue is the steering and lack of feel. if you are able to live with these 2 issues, it's a decent car.
vishnurp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 09:56   #52
BHPian

@RAM : Before you change your mind or decide to hold your booking, I will suggest you better read this post on Team BHP put up by Sidindica. Guess, it will clear lot of things in your mind.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...sed-again.html

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 23:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Wanted to update this thread after a long gap. My plans for a new budget hatch have been deferred to next March, by when the Company lease budget will become available.

This apart, my son started getting cab pick up and drop from his employer, therefore there is no urgency in our need.

Meantime, I TD'd all 3 cars (new Swift zdi, Beat diesel and Figo Titanium) over the past month, the most recent being the Figo today.

The Swift had the following pros and cons:-

+ Great interiors, especialy the dash.
+ ACC seemed to be working fine
+ Turbo kick past 2000 rpm (similar to the i20 that I used to drive last year)
+ Comfortable front seats
+ Refined engine---not much clatter on the outside also

- Could not figure out how far the car extended
- Turbo lag below 2000 to 1900 rpm
- EPS steering too light, like in the Waggie and i20
- Rear seat not that roomy, despite the alleged increase in leg room. Claustrophobic feeling
-Ridiculously low room in the boot---nearly 30% less than the old Swift
- Found it difficult to reach for the seat belt---had to twist my torso a lot.
- Ridiculous waiting period of 6 to 8 months.
-Overpriced for what it offers

Now the Beat top model:-

+ Best dashboard of the three, though it was too high
+ ACC
+ Minimal turbo lag
+ No vibrations on the TD car that had 5000 kms on the odo
+ Rear leg room felt better than the Swift
+ Available within 15 days

- Boot smaller than the other two, though it appeared more practical than the Swift
- Clutch pedal was placed high, so had to lift my knee to depress the clutch---a real pain in heavy traffic
- I had to literally stare at the tacho to see the rpm. I personally prefer the non-digital ones.
- Body roll on corners, and steering was light, like in the Swift.
- Dash was placed high, and I could not see how far the front edges of the car were.

And finally the Figo Titanium:-

+ Least turbo lag of the 3. Felt like I was driving a petrol car
+ Ride and handling seemed better than the other two, moreso due to the steering feedback from the hydraulic unit (quite akin to my Fiesta's)
+ Roomiest rear of the three, with a wide and spacious rear seat.
+ Best boot space among the three
+ Best sounding stereo among the three
+ Best cooling from AC
+ Perfect height of dash--not as high as the Beat
+ Least noise inside the cabin with windows rolled up. But noisier than the Swift on the outside.
+ Bluetooth on the stereo with phonebook integration
+ Available within 2 weeks

- Plain jane looks
- No ACC
- No power windows at rear

So to sum up, I'd have loved to have the Swift on highways, but my primary purpose is city-driving. That apart, what good is it to have a great highway car that does not have sufficent boot space? Perhaps only good for single-day return journeys.

And a 6-month waiting period seems to be daylight robbery.

So the choice moves to the Beat and Figo. The Beat certainly has better looks --both inside and outside, and better F.E. But when the primary purpose is city-driving, it is a pain to lift the knee everytime to press the clutch. And it would take time to adjust to the high dashboard.

So as of now, the Figo seems to serve my needs the best. I was blown away by its driveability in the city, though I am not sure of its top grunt on the highway. But then I have a Duratec for highway drives that would put to shame many cars on the road today.

More later.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 12:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

The issues you mentioned, one will only notice once one have owned & driven the car for a long time.

1. Steering Rattle - Can only be noticed only on rough roads. Try looking at the steering rattle video in my i20 ownership thread.
2. Ride quality- Try driving on potholed roads, you will start bouncing all over the place.
3. Poor steering- If you try pushing the i20 around corners, it does get nervous
4. Weak a/c - It can only be judged in summer( or after the car has been left parked under hot sun).
5. Front passenger seat rattle on rough roads(when one is seated on it) - It is another issue that has been reported and apparently is not fixable.

These are all issues you'll face in the long run. In just one TD, you simply cannot judge on these issues. There are so many threads here and on the internet about these issues. Surely there is some substance to those complaints. That Hyundai refused to work seriously and solve these complaints "permanently" is another issue. There are so many cases where people have sold off their i20s after less than two years of ownership because of these issue and having got tired of talking to Hyundai after facing insultful comments by their staff. I could give their e-mails/numbers if you wish to talk to them.

It, afterall is your hard earned money that you will be investing in your new car. So, you be the judge whether your decision is correct or not.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th November 2011 at 13:12. Reason: correcting spelling mistake
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 13:12   #55
Senior - BHPian

As regards the i-20, it is definitely more roomy than the Swift and also has more boot space. The dash looks great too.

But the quality of the AC louvers in the corner vents is horrible. In a few months time, the flat handle that helps in moving the louvers left or right broke on my pal's i-20. This happened when the car clearner was cleaning the dashboard.

A couple of months later, the one on the extreme right also broke. It costs Rs 2000 for each replacement. He decided to leave the louvers in their current position instead.

And it is also a fact that the weak AC is one of its main negatives. People in the back seat do not get to feel the AC in summer months. This applies to both petrol and diesel models. They do not have a separate AC model in the diesel.My daughter commented on the weak AC on day 1 itself when my pal took us around on his brand new i-20.

The steering rattle also started in a few months, but I am told Hyundai got it fixed.

The only other issue is the ultra-light steering that has no feedback. I found it lighter than the WAgonR and Swift.

If you can live with the above issues, then go ahead with the i-20.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 13:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The steering rattle also started in a few months, but I am told Hyundai got it fixed.
Some 2011 i20s have reported the issue(contrary to what Hyundai says). So, its not as if the issue has been taken care of. The issue is because there is a design defect in the steering rack/column, hence the recurring steering rattle issue.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th November 2011 at 13:23.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 11:27   #57
BHPian

Its been the same oscillation for me too, Were on the same track to decide a budget diesel hatchback,

Gave my korean missile for 3.67 (Thanks for our classifieds) which had done 83k kms, thinking i would go for a S(X)UV

and then Dad said go for small car and use my xylo when needed.

Still my mind was saying "Think big & Get big" Driven Fiesta Classic, Verna 1.6 & Linea,

Eventually satisfied with verna but my requirement of having ABS will burn my pockets for sure.

Linea -- Very strong built, Good enough engine, But, IMHO Still the fit and finish are not as like Verna

Then was going through the actual ownership cost for cars thread (Once again Thanks for our Forum) which made me to decide one in hatch

Driven Grande Punto, VW Polo, I20, Figo (all diesels)

Punto (national engine) with obviously a great ride quality and sturdy vehicle. -- The right side plastics were almost coming out and the fit wasn't so good (atleast for Fiat) -- Ruled out since the Emotion pack costs Rs 8.05L (OTR chennai)

VW polo - Sat inside the car, Tried ignition -- CRKKKKKCRKKKKKK... Sales person was saying "Sir its already on"

Unbelievably quiet cabin, built is so good. and OTR -Chennai cost is 8.3 lacs (for 1.2L engine) Tried accelerating it as possible i could not exceed 80kmph on the road in T.Nagar -- Ruled out after reading the A.S.S problem and cost of it. Also there is no Free service for Folkswagen and the service interval is 15000 -- Ruled out as i didn't satisfied with performance much personally

Then reached I20, Since i owned a Getz CRDi, i was more inclined with it and the OTR for Asta CRDi is 8.14 L, Me & Wifey both liked the Car outlook, Interior and We are almost to it, Then went for a TD, The steering problem meant in forum wasn't understandable until i felt it myself. Also noticed that the steering is not coming back to the original position -- I had to manually bring it back to the original position (in slow speeds) -- Prospective until i had a TD on Figo and then ruled out. (I would have gone for this if there is any discount given)

Figo - Titanium Diesel - Requested for a TD in MPL ford chennai and started thinking about the negatives to rule out Figo and go for I20

1. No power windows in rear
2. Only 40% of window can open manually (rear)
3. Little cramped comparing my previous car (Getz)
4. In cabin noise was more than I20

Then the Practical light came in. I remember my Getz rear windows were tight since it wasn't used to roll down frequently. So, Point # 1 is okay

Point # 2 -- was ruled out because for rear its okay (its also looks safe for me in case my kids scroll down still safe inside)

Point # 3 -- Okay i can live with it

Point # 4 -- I hope i will get use to it

TD was good, Almost no turbo lag, FE is too good, And i personally like the Miniature Fusion look

Checked with Wifey for Figo and got okay..

Booked Figo White Titanium Diesel on "December Dhamaal" -- On Sunday
trtraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 18:38   #58
BHPian

Default Which diesel hatchback for a short period?

Guys,

I'm on the lookout for a diesel hatchback with minimal investments, reason - I might sell the car anytime since I'm not sure where I'll be settling down in the near future, and that 'anytime' could be a few months or 2years but not more than that . A few months back I sold my Punto that I owned, the ownership experience was nothing short of excellent. I really fell in love with the car and owed to myself that my next car willl be a Fiat. I still want to go ahead and book a Punto, but I'm not sure whether it will make sense with the following requirements.

1. The car will have to go anytime. So I cannot be as affectionate as I was with the Punto.

2. Will be used extensively in the city. Have planned to curb my highway travel for a few months/years. But if the urge not withstanding I might take the car for a lot of long jaunts.

3. Need to keep depreciation hit minimum. I sold my Punto for a good price, so I'm not ruling it out for resale value. But cars like Beat are available at a far lesser price. So clubbing with my req.1, I'm putting Punto into my options list.

4. Right now I'm not too keen on performance numbers, boot space and back seat leg space. But I'm 6'3", so I prefer a car that is reasonably comfortable.

I've shortlisted the following cars for reasons below -

1. Beat

+ves:
The cheapest. Fuel efficient.
Also, my friend works as a sales manager in Sundaram Motors. So I can get the best deal in town.

-ves:
Poor highway performance. I'm used to driving long hours and I was always hungry for more power. In case I start travelling a lot, the performance will really make me frown.

2. Punto

+ves:
Absolutely sturdy and let's me take it anywhere. Magical highway performance.

-ves:
Except a few A.S.S glitches, I didn't find any during my ownership

3. Figo

+ves:
Cheap. Good city performance.

-ves:
Built to a price. Sub par A.S.S.

Other cars have been ruled out for reasons such as price and waiting period.

Now, I've made up my mind to choose between Beat and Punto. Figo, isn't a strong contender since I would want a car that either satisfies my heart(Punto) or my mind(Beat). Figo, with a slightly higher price than beat and with a not so good highway performance, falls in between.

I've ruled out used cars, since I'm never confident on finding a used diesel car.

Please let me know if I should consider any other car, but before that please go through my requirements list. Also, let me know in case I've overlooked anything and that I should consider anything else before making a decision. Thanks
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 19:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which diesel hatchback for a short period?

You can consider an Indica with the Quadrajet engine. It has all the plus points.
. Decent performance
. Good highway performance
. Decent resale
. Excellent space
. Low price compared to other diesel vehicles
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 19:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which diesel hatchback for a short period?

Well.. if you want a Punto-like ride and very less depreciation, things are going to be tough. Why did you sell Punto btw - retaining it would have been the most ideal thing to do?

I would probably look for a used swift-D or another Punto - the older they are, the less you will lose in depreciation. A new car will result in heavy depreciation loss.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote