Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 1st March 2006, 12:58   #16
BHPian

But even after what i mentioned in my earlier post, i would still suggest you to opt for the ford ikon 1.6.
prince85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 12:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Holy cow - exactly the same confusion i had when i got the Ikon. Had test driven the Palio GTX and almost finalised it - till i took a TD of the Ikon Sxi.

The Ikon scores over the Palio on handling , ride quality, interior quality, better back seat space and comfort and it has a boot.

The Palio has the 100 BHP engine (Ikon has 91)and its brakes are better than the Ikons.

MY choice would be the IKON SXi preferably in Spanish Red.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 1st March 2006 at 13:06.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 13:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

oops double post - mods please delete !

Last edited by normally_crazy : 1st March 2006 at 13:01.
Old 1st March 2006, 13:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And another thing is that the mileage of the ikon s***s big time. I have a lot of friends who have owned the ikon 1.6 and they never get anything more than 7kpl in city conditions. Maybe the figures you talking about are highway but then that doesnt count much.
Hey pal I have an ikon sxi for the past 4 years and it has never given me less than 10 kmpl even in the city. and i have a free flow on it ......so if its mileage you are talking about , i think you are quoting people - you havent experienced the mileage of the ikon , right ?
Old 1st March 2006, 13:29   #20
BHPian

Whoa! 10kmpl in Mumbai traffic for an Ikon with free flow is simply alluring stuff. Though im not much inclined towards the mileage factor, its nice to know that the Ikon scores in this department.

The brainstorming is simply awesome guys, jus pour more!

cheers
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 13:55   #21
BHPian

NC, you are right, I dont have own an ikon 1.6 but yes i have used my uncles car when he was abroad for over a year. And i don't remember ever getting anything over 8. A lot of my friends have the same and hardly if ever anyone has got anything even close to 10kmpl. You say that you are getting consistently 10+kmpl then, maybe its the driving style that makes all the difference, i don't know!
But the ikon is famous in the indian car market for being a very thirsty machine which i am sure everyone is aware of and thats the reason its not doing soo well in the market now even though its a much comfier car than the esteem, accent etc.
BTW, mnemonic is looking for a good performance machine where he is not soo bothered about the FE, so it doesnt make a difference. In the end even i have suggested a ford ikon 1.6 to him.
I am just putting forward a few cons from personal experience as well as input from a few owners of the car but i at no point meant to say its a bad car. Its a damn good car and a true josh machine!

Cheers
Old 1st March 2006, 13:56   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey mnemonic ur one day late ,just sold my ford ikon 1.6 sxi yesterday for 2.5l,black in colour.anyways i would suggest you go for the ikon 1.6 cos u get driving pleasure +a boot.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 14:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
..... coming to your point that the ikons parts are cheapest in the mid size category. I think you are wrong............... I would like to know in which issue of which car magazine is the ikon considered to have the cheapest spare parts.

And another thing is that the mileage of the ikon s***s big time. I have a lot of friends who have owned the ikon 1.6 and they never get anything more than 7kpl in city conditions.
I do not remember the mag exactly, but it indeed had a comparison of small cars, mid sized ones and larger vehicles in a single issue. You are right that Esteem would have been the winner, but I was comparing the Ikon against Accent, Corsa. If my memory serves me right, the Ikon was lowest.

On the mileage front, you may like to read here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...highlight=ikon (FE of Accent GLE and Ikon)
I consider Bangalore city traffic to be much worse than Mumbai. That said, on rare occassions I have got mileage less than 10 with average AC usage. Without AC / marginal AC, mileage had been above 11 kmpl. That's with 1.6 lt engine. You are right about the fact that one who is after a performance vehicle, would care less about mileage.

Here's another great post on the same vehicle...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...1-6-l-zxi.html
S Pathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 15:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S.Pathak, i guess you own a ford ikon looking at the way you are defending it, i can understand it, i mean we are soo passionate about the vehicles we have. Look, coming to your point that the ikons parts are cheapest in the mid size category. I think you are wrong. Cheapest spare parts in the mid size category vehicles are maruti esteem which is closely followed by the hyundai accent, tata indigo. Yes i agree that the spare parts of the opel corsa are the costliest but the ford ikon is cheaper than the corsa in terms of maintenance but not by much. I would like to know in which issue of which car magazine is the ikon considered to have the cheapest spare parts. I have read comparisons of spare parts in atleast 2 car mags, i think it was overdrive or autocar. And the data covered in it is
1.esteem
2.accent
3.indigo
4.ikon
5.corsa

And another thing is that the mileage of the ikon s***s big time. I have a lot of friends who have owned the ikon 1.6 and they never get anything more than 7kpl in city conditions. Maybe the figures you talking about are highway but then that doesnt count much. Ikon 1.3 is slightly better at say 8.5-9kpl. Infact one of the strongest reasons for the ikon not doing soo well as much it could have is the mileage.

No doubt its a great performer with good build and the best rear seat in the mid size segment but then mileage is a big problem given the prices of petrol and spare parts are way too expensive.
Sorry to jump into this one but being an Ikon owner and having driven it for 128,000 kms plus, I guess I have the right!

To begin with Prince85, I have CONSISTENTLY got between 9 to 9.5 in the city from April to October including during the peak summer months (and summer in delhi is known to all) and between 11.5 to 12 right through November to March for 5 years in a row; on the highway, I tend to go up to 120-130 on stretches and that brings down my mileage (the best I've seen is to not cross 110) but even with that, I have gone up to a best of 13.8 and an average of 12.5 when I'm flogging. So I'm not sure what s**** with your friends Ikons, maybe its lack of regular servicing?

So too about the cost of spares; when I first got my car 5 years ago, I did feel that cost of fog lamps and rear view mirrors were very high but with indigenisation, even these items are very very affordable now. I'm afraid we tend to rely far too much on "friends" experiences and go about discounting that of the "other" owners because we feel they are too partial towards their cars but thats not always the case.

And lets compare APPLES to APPLES, hence I would leave out the Indigo & Esteem when you compare 1600 cc cars. Cost of Maruti spares are in any case way below any other manufacturer. the original discussion was between a Palio & an Ikon.

Not sure if we have any statistics on any 1.6 Palios that have done 100000 kms plus and are still flying high - I know my Ikon can give comparable cars in that segment a run for their money still!

Last edited by suman : 1st March 2006 at 15:12.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 15:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am just putting forward a few cons from personal experience as well as input from a few owners of the car but i at no point meant to say its a bad car. Its a damn good car and a true josh machine!

Cheers
Well, the "cons" need to be the right ones, that's all! I mean, 7 kpl consistently?!
Old 1st March 2006, 15:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ikon days are over... parts??? Brakes ? but you get a boot
Yeah, long after the Palios days.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 15:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Pathak
I never recommended the 1.3. All I am saying is apart from the engine assembly, the 1.6 shares its parts from the 1.3 version in terms of all other spares. The 1.3 is still running and it is extremely unlikely that the parts related to the engine assembly for the 1.6 shall suddenly become unavailable. This is further considering Ford's commitment towards the Indian market with recent launches and the improvement in service levels.

Thanks Suman for helping out in clearing the misconceptions here.

I think FIAT's committment to India is no less either compared to FORD. They have always been optimistic about india but just never got their act right.
Now they have by joining hands with TATA only for promotion and service.

ON the other hand, FOrd worldwide is going thru a bad phase whereas FIAT's shares and company's profits are rising.

I firmly believe if TATA FIAT pact is used to the fullest by TATA then it will give Hyundai and Maruti a run for their money in couple of years time.

My verdict go for FIAT 1.6 engine be it in any form.

Cheers.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 16:17   #28
BHPian

suman, do you have a comprehension problem in any way?? I have mentioned that the cons are from my personal experience. Good for you if you are getting 11+kmpl. I said 7-8kmpl from my own personal experience and a few other friends who have an ikon 1.6 as well. So to tell you all over again, it is only my personal experience. Get it!

Apples with apples and all that, agree that the esteem is not in the same size bracket as the ikon 1.6 but hell everyone know an esteem beats the ikon 1.6 to a 100kph. Yea after that the ikon is significantly faster but not soo much as you are making it out to be. And BTW, we are not dicussing performance of ikon, baleno, OHC and all that so why am i talking about it .

Last edited by prince85 : 1st March 2006 at 16:19.
Old 1st March 2006, 17:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey, this is what I got from the Fiat website. Comparison chart of spares.
Disclaimer: This is for sake of information and by no means a verdict on Palio 1.6 or Ikon 1.6 SXI. I like them both

[code]
Description Palio Zen Wagon-r Alto Indica Santro
Alternator Belt 273 145 117 117 185 274
Bumper (front) 1781 1012 3306 1012 2312 1088
Cylinder Head Gasket 459 552 460 313 1661 525
Fender Assy.
(front, Rt./lt.) 1445 2185 1501 1265 2267 1498
Fuel Filter (petrol) 82 32 169 169 322 169
Windshield
(glass Laminated) 3786 4140 4420 4077 4896 4503
Wiper Arm 104 114 109 95 101 112
Wiper Blade (rt./lt.) 94 151 138 135 102 109
Timing Belt (petrol) 352 1355 840 840 1080 1224
Bonnet Hood 2968 3450 2974 2933 4450 3235
Lamp Rear (lt./rt.) 599 715 592 592 965 790
Shock Absorber (front) 1344 1267 1342 1130 2242 1344
[/code]

Last edited by RX135 : 1st March 2006 at 17:10.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2006, 17:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
suman, do you have a comprehension problem in any way?? I have mentioned that the cons are from my personal experience. Good for you if you are getting 11+kmpl. I said 7-8kmpl from my own personal experience and a few other friends who have an ikon 1.6 as well. So to tell you all over again, it is only my personal experience. Get it!

Apples with apples and all that, agree that the esteem is not in the same size bracket as the ikon 1.6 but hell everyone know an esteem beats the ikon 1.6 to a 100kph. Yea after that the ikon is significantly faster but not soo much as you are making it out to be. And BTW, we are not dicussing performance of ikon, baleno, OHC and all that so why am i talking about it .
I thought you said "as well as some inputs from friends". Go through your own first post where you said...." I have a lot of friends who have owned the ikon 1.6 and they never get anything more than 7kpl in city conditions...."

And, as far as a STOCK Esteem beating a STOCK Ikon 1.6 to the 100kph, bring it on my friend, bring it on, this I would love to see .

And, just to put things in the right perspective, the post IS about Ikon vs Palio so if you are wondering why we are discussing the Ikon, well......