Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 2nd March 2006, 10:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
And suman in reponse to post 38, i can believe that you must have beaten esteems in south delhi or wherever but i am sure that they were carb esteems and not mpfi ones. Esteem BSII and BS III are faster than the ikon 1.6 by nearly 2 secs like you can see in the above link.
Prince, I know the difference between mpfi & non.....I'm not sure you understood what I was getting at. I wouldn't rate Esteem as close competition so when I leave them behind at the lights, its not that I'm consciously dragging with them, its just that I've not seen one with juice enough yet to take a 1.6 on. I'm talking about new esteems which are all "I" (VX & LX).

Goldie has made the point separately on the timings so I will not elaborate further; today, if you pick up Top Gear, Overdrive, BS Motoring & ACI, you will see different timings given for same cars, which one would you go with? I would only go by my experience which is sub-12 for the Ikon
Quote:
PS- suman, i know at some point today it was getting out of hand, but then the gentleman that i am, i would like to say to you that i am sorry for being rude at times. No hard-feelings huh!
Cheers
No hard feelings but I seriously suggest that you PM me if you wish to take this discussion any further as we have been MAJORLY here & need to stop....or open a separate thread.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:00   #47
BHPian

the new esteem or the old esteem has nothing to do with any performance difference as long as it is an mpfi, the new esteem was only a cosmetic change like how nxt was with the ikon. i started this argument because you were laughing your way when i said that the esteem is faster than the ikon 1.6sxi till a 100kph .You said you would like to see it, bring em on a nd stuff. so i just was proving it to you. i even accepted that the ikon is faster after that speed. But you were not ready to listen. esteem lxi, vxi, makes no difference to the performance of the car because the engine is the same(85bhp). In april last year the BsIII was introduced but still the power is same(85bhp). its just how exi, zxi and sxi is in an ikon 1.6.its just a matter of a few features differences and not the engine. i have driven both cars and i have touched 180-185 speedo of the ikon as well as the esteem vxi(2005) on the mumbai-pune expressway and another esteem vx(2002) in goa(Verna). i have also tried to do a 0-100 time in my car and it stands at late 11 secs. It is purely out of my personal experience buddy.
that we should stop agruing about it any further as we are seriously going way-overboard with it.

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd March 2006 at 11:07.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
esteem lxi, vxi, makes no difference to the performance of the car because the engine is the same(85bhp). In april last year the BsIII was introduced but still the power is same(85bhp).
Just for your education & better understanding, the carb Esteems came with the VX & LX badge; the MPFI ones came with VXI & LXI. That is what I was mentioning since you brought up the difference in pick up between carb & mpfi

Last edited by suman : 2nd March 2006 at 11:09.
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:11   #49
BHPian

Not true, lxi and vxi were lauched by maruti in the esteem in late 2002-03 whereas Euro 2 norms became mandatory in 2000. there are euro 2 esteems sold till the end of 2002 with the lx and the vx batch.The car which i was talking about where i did a 185 in goa is a year 2002 VX and it is a MPFI car. For confirmation refer to post 19 in the thread "help on a second hand car" in What car? Section where v1p3r had the same confusion like you suman. So it is for your education and better understanding.

But if you still don't believe then you can check with your nearest maruti dealer which i have already done.

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd March 2006 at 11:25.
Old 2nd March 2006, 11:55   #50
BHPian

Esteem VX limited edition was launched in 2002 and it had a few extra features over the esteem VX like it came with alloy wheels, automatic antenna, Body coloured door handles and OVRMs, Rear spoiler, Rear Defogger, Front fog lamps, wodden finish centre console plus all other standard features that were already existent in the esteem VX. This model was a big hit in the market and soo after the limited edition series was over. Maruti decieded to launch esteem VXI which had all the features of the limited edition(but no alloy wheels). Thereafter the VXI came into picture. The Esteem LX till that time was a totally stripped down version of the esteem. Therefore came the esteem LXI which was equipeed with power steering, and front power windows as well while an esteem LX just has an air-conditioner with no power steering and front power windows.

Suman, you feel that the LXI and the VXI has anything to do with MPFI? Then you are wrong. To make a point, the ESTEEM LX is still available in the market(for sure) and it is a MPFI but as i said, its a totally stripped down version and it comes equipped only with an A/C. I checked about the availabilty of the esteem LX with my dealer just 5 minutes back. This car is widely used in the tourist car sections. So i would like to re-affirm that the LXI and the VXI has nothing to do with MPFI.

Hope that settles your doubts.

Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd March 2006 at 12:09.
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Suman, you feel that the LXI and the VXI has anything to do with MPFI? Then you are wrong. To make a point, the ESTEEM LX is still available in the market(for sure) and it is a MPFI but as i said, its a totally stripped down version and it comes equipped only with an A/C. I checked about the availabilty of the esteem LX with my dealer just 5 minutes back. This car is widely used in the tourist car sections. So i would like to re-affirm that the LXI and the VXI has nothing to do with MPFI.

Hope that settles your doubts.

Cheers
Man, you are truly amazing. OK, let me reiterate - I'm talking about Esteems with the "I" at the end (go a few posts back) and ALL with the "I" at the end are definitely MPFI. Any with a carb WILL NOT have a "I". It started off because you spoke about "...you must have beaten esteems in south delhi or wherever but i am sure that they were carb esteems and not mpfi ones...." so I'm clarifying they WERE MPFI because they carried the "I" badge (read ALL with "I" badge ARE MPFI, may or may not be vice versa). Christ!!!

What car do you drive by the way, son?
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:31   #52
BHPian

Thats what i am telling you dear only VXI or LXI does not mean its an MPFI. I drive a 2005 esteem VXI daddy , my gf has an 2002 Esteem VX(MPFI). Thats what i mean to tell you is that VX or VXI has nothing to do with MPFI. i mentioned it in response to post 49 by you which said that MPFI esteems come only with the I badge

PS- I also had an 1997 esteem LX(Carb), i know that any carb will not have an I in the end but that doesnt mean that all MPFI esteems have an I in the end.

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd March 2006 at 12:37.
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i am telling you dear only VXI or LXI does not mean its an MPFI.
It does, VXI & LXI do mean that its definitely a MPFI...........
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:53   #54
BHPian

ExactlyBut there are Esteems after the year 2000 as well which are LX and VX and they also are MPFI

BTW, If u ever feel like coming down to mumbai, i would love to meet up with you. Do pm me if you have any plans regarding the same.
Take care,
Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 2nd March 2006 at 12:55.
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:54   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Suman & Prince85 - Please take your Esteem discussion to another thread. The poster of this thread had a purpose, which is not being served by your debate.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Suman & Prince85 - Please take your Esteem discussion to another thread. The poster of this thread had a purpose, which is not being served by your debate.
Yes sir & my apologies!
Old 2nd March 2006, 12:57   #57
BHPian

sure sir, my apologies as well
Old 2nd March 2006, 13:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thats what i am telling you dear only VXI or LXI does not mean its an MPFI. I drive a 2005 esteem VXI daddy , my gf has an 2002 Esteem VX(MPFI). Thats what i mean to tell you is that VX or VXI has nothing to do with MPFI. i mentioned it in response to post 49 by you which said that MPFI esteems come only with the I badge

PS- I also had an 1997 esteem LX(Carb), i know that any carb will not have an I in the end but that doesnt mean that all MPFI esteems have an I in the end.
Oh my god - so many esteems .. no wonder you are hell bent on defending your car

btw - when MPFI was launched in 2000 they had 4 versions
LX standard, LX with mpfi, VX standard, VX with MPFI and they continued this till 2002

edit - oops, sorry GTO ...

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 2nd March 2006 at 13:05.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 15:03   #59
BHPian

Allright,

My sincere apologies that i left out the Esteem in my choice of cars.

cheers
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2006, 15:17   #60
BHPian

mnemonic, you dont have to apologise for anything. Palio 1.6 and ikon 1.6 are much better performance cars than the esteem. it was just the 0-100 facts that i was arguing about.

BTW, just test drove my neighbours palio 1.6 gtx today, man its a stunning beast