Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 18th October 2011, 18:27   #16
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper English in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2011 at 14:48.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2011, 00:26   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti true value vs Mahindra first choice: what is recommended for 1st car?

I would recommend Maruti True Value. I bought a 2005 Alto Lx from MTV Gurgaon in December 2008, it was a 2005 model. I got it for 1.7L with a one year warranty(everything included except tires and brakes I think...) and three free services. They did negotiate on price, lowered it by 3-4k if I remember clearly. I still have the car and nothing has ever gone wrong, only have spent money on regular services.

I also visited Mahindra First Choice in Gurgaon many times. They didn't seem to have any idea what they were talking about, just wanted to sell the car. Also MFC at that time only offered a 3 or 6 month warranty on only the engine and transmission. So if the AC or power windows broke after you drove off the dealership, you were on you own! Cars were also not too well cared for.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 06:33   #18
BHPian

Default Re: Maruti true value vs Mahindra first choice: what is recommended for 1st car?

I would say stay away from First choice. It is based on a bad experience happened to my friend. He bought a Palio diesel 1.9D from first choice Quilon. As said they just wanted to sell the car. One week after getting the car he started facing problems with the car. Timing belt got changed and ac compressor gone kaput. compressor has been replaced by dealer with warranty.And the bill was near to that of an authorized service center. again it stopped working and this time he took it to an authorized center and found the replaced compressor was not an original one. Later he managed to sell the car at a loss of 60K

Last edited by devil_klm : 19th October 2011 at 06:34.
devil_klm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 09:23   #19
BHPian

I totally agree that MTV are certainly more expensive that First Choice. I was wondering does MTV or First Choice play with the ODO reading as well?
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 09:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi... Thanks for posting.
Can u please post me some pics & details of the car. Also let me know if there is any known issue that needs to be checked..

Thanks in advance.
( cant pm u )
Give me ur email address i'll forward the pics to you soon as i get them.
Its 1st owner done around 40000kms 2001 metallic grey colour 2 new tyres and battery cd player bombay no. no power windows or steering car is clean and well maintained.
Reality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 09:38   #21
Team-BHP Support

My thread on Mahindra Firstchoice : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-trusted.html (Poll - Can Branded Pre-Owned Car dealerships be trusted?)
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 11:43   #22
BHPian

Never buy from these so called authorised, approved, certified dealers -- no matter which dealer buy from, the odometer readings will be tampered with. Always buy from an individual directly.
Back in 2005, I sold my wagon-R to vitesse. The car had a genuine running of 58,000 kms and we were offered 1.6 lakhs for the car. The same car was up for sale in a week with an odo reading of 28,000 Kms. They were trying to sell this car to a friend of mine who approached vitesse as a genuine buyer. They quoted 2.7 lakhs for the same car!
thermalpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 12:31   #23
BHPian

Red face Re: Maruti true value vs Mahindra first choice: what is recommended for 1st car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Thanks for posting this link here. Very useful & equally shocking.
There will be many people like me who trust the Names like Maruti, Mahindra & the their adverts like 120+ Quality checks & all.. So in a way we think about buying from them, ignoring all other important aspects like re verification etc.

For eg. These are the dealers who offers warranty on their preowned cars, but at the same time their Terms & Conditions are listed in such a way that we really wonder what assurance we are getting.

Also reading the above thread & posts like this makes me wonder if they really keep to their promise of selling non accidental cars & No Flood damaged cars.. Its a shame & we can do nothing about it.

My friends are also against buying an used car. Insists me to wait & buy a NEW car only. I know they are right, but again its the question of passion vs money.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 15:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Never Buy from Mahindra first choice. They are just a bunch of Jokers & cheaters. I have first hand experience with them So trust me.
They are masters of
  • Odometer tampering. (A 30K run km vehicle with worn out pedals, keys, gear lever knob etc)
  • Not honouring warranty. (Timing belt idler pulley is not in warranty. So whats in warranty? Piston, valves etc etc. WHat the hell?_
  • Stepny without tubes. Call them authorised?
  • Car not serviced. Blackened engine oil.
  • RC transfer completed after 6 months. (Its not their fault though)
SO while True Value is too much expensive, 1st choice should be the last choice. So my suggestion, Either go a new car, or get it without a 3rd party.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 16:07   #25
BHPian

I bought my Esteem (2005) from MFC Gurgaon in 2009 for INR 2.39 L. They were initially quoting 2.75 but some bargaining did the trick. The car has generally been reliable and I have taken it for long trips.

However, a word of caution, MFC does roll back the odo readings, and other stuff is also not top notch. I can say this because they told me point blank that prices would increase if everything was done as per their manuals.

As for the odo readings, I found a lot of cars with 30- 35 k on the odo with visible signs of greater age. Also, I looked at a santro that showed 35k but when I asked my brother (Who works with Hyundai) to cross check, I came to know that the car in question had already clocked 47k by 2007 (that was the last time it was serviced in a Hyundai garage).

MTV is expensive but worth it. Go to MFC only if you can pick the bad ones out.
Tapish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 17:31   #26
BHPian

I have heard quite a few instances where the ODO readings were changed by car dealers before putting the car on display, buying from an individual was always a better option is what I believed but that does not seem to be the case in all the instances.

Went to see a car this week (seller: individual) which had 15.5 K on the odo, 3 year old swift DIESEL and the car exterior looked in very good shape , not a single scratch , paint was great and the drive was also pretty good. Did some digging and found out that the car was last serviced this august and the odo during the last service was over 71k Kms.

Obviously did not go ahead with the deal and learnt a lession, no matter who is selling the car the buyer should try and get the entire service history of the car and only when that is clean should go ahead with the deal.

A very good guide regarding purchase of old cars is present under http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

Make sure you go through this thread carefully and check the items mentioned so as to minimize if not eliminate the risks involved while buying a used car.
SwiftSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 07:47   #27
BHPian

Whoever you buy from, you still have to go through the entire used car buying checklist.

Just bought a used Honda Civic from MFC yesterday. The experience was nothing to write home about. Missing documents, late evening delivery time, car cleaning not done properly, polishing forgotten, missing 2nd key( just have an undertaking that they will hand me over the same *soon*), hiding facts about the car ETC. ETC. ETC. They did everything to make my family feel that buying a used car is something we should never do. I hope the general feeling changes when we drive around in our Civvy since the original owner has taken good care of the car.

Last edited by antz.bin : 20th October 2011 at 07:52.
antz.bin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 09:20   #28
BHPian

As somebody had mentioned earlier, I guess it is more of doing a thorough check of the vehicle in question before buying.

I had purchased my swift from First choice and I feel, I got a good deal. Ofcourse since the odo was 22k, while doing my service the MAS people asked me to change the break pads along with the service for 20k. Which in anyways was due for the car at that number of kms. But for that no defect at all and is of good use to me.
NVI2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 09:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Odometer tampering. (A 30K run km vehicle with worn out pedals, keys, gear lever knob etc)
+1 to this. An aquaintance had sold off his Scorpio to a dealer at 60K odo reading. During a visit to local MFC, he noticed a familiar Scorpio with scratches at some unique places. CHecking further, he was surprised to see the odo at 30k.

Not that all vehicles might undergo this rejuvenation, but it's important to check service history which would also have the odo reading of when service was carried out.

That being said, I'd bought my first car - an Indica - used from MFC in 2003 and sold in 2008. It gave good service.
mmxylorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 21:44   #30
BHPian

Hi once again.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Started looking for direct buy through friends etc.

Recently come across a Jul 2001 Alto vx 1.1 (non p/s). Odo was 57k, seemed genuine.
The car looked good apart from two patches / dents on front bumper & one on a side. The ride & engine response was good. Gear shift was also good. But I couldnt drive much as it was dark & tank was almost empty.

Initial observation are as follows:
A/C seemed sufficient.
Good body line.
Nice engine & suspension.
Smooth gear shift.
Power windows & powet mirrors were working.
No vibrations felt (but I could drove for just 5min, below 30kmph)

Also the exterior was cool metallic blue, but the engine bay & inside of hood was white (is it OEM?)
(note: the rc book was hand written & the color was mentioned as blue, no engine cc was mentioned & bhp was written as 10 :( ?)

Also there was some uneven surface on front side of engine bay.. Right in front of radiator. Where the hood latches fit. ( hope I am clear here.)

I wish I could have taken few pics to share here, but as it was dark & my phone cam wouldnt have suffice.

Asking price is 1.15 lakhs. Seems much higher to me. Need some advice for it, what should be the proper price & what more needs to be checked?
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote