Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 25th September 2006, 19:07   #46
BHPian

Alto for sure gives better mileage than Xeta or Santro. I get good mileage in Bangalore city with AC. 16-17 Km/L. Power wise Xeta is better.

However!!!

RESALE VALUE is a BIG ?
dsinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 19:25   #47
BHPian

ya ajo, where you get 1,80,000 for a Alto...You will get around 1,50,000 for well maintained TATA..! so 30,000 he is going to save with CNG as FE won't hurt in all likely hood, and firstly why would you consider to buy a car only on its resale factor...All luxury segment machines have low resale value..so people don't buy them Kya..?
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2006, 23:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
ya ajo, where you get 1,80,000 for a Alto...You will get around 1,50,000 for well maintained TATA..! so 30,000 he is going to save with CNG as FE won't hurt in all likely hood, and firstly why would you consider to buy a car only on its resale factor...All luxury segment machines have low resale value..so people don't buy them Kya..?
Resale value isnt the only reason. Everyone has mentioned the other reasons, Resale is considered when you upgrade. Luxury car buyers would mind the low resale value, To them, brand value and image is important. They woukd just dispose their old cars and grab the new ones. A small car buyer will definately think about resale value.

Would you digest it, if your new Xeta CNG was given a scrap value when you upgrade to a sedan? Heard that its already got some issues prior to the second service. I dont have any issues on my new Alto until this day and dont expect any soon.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 00:59   #49
Team-BHP Support

ajo... what gives you the idea that a new Xeta fetches "scrap value"? you are way off your mark mate. if anything, Tatas are selling so many petrols these days as they never did before.

As for issues... well once in a while a car may give you some problems... but that is not necessarily the general rule. And problems may come with any car, anytime. I know an Alto that was purchased last year in my neighborhood. One evening I saw that they were ready to go somewhere all dressed up. However their car was groaning but refusing to start.

Next morning there was a mech kneeling inside the opened bonnet doing somthing. I saw the same guy again later in the evening working on the car. Evidently it was bigger than what I thought (initially I thought it was a dead battery, probably).

Does that make Alto a bad car. No, not by any means. Just that an issue may crop up at times with any car.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 07:51   #50
BHPian

Ajo, i already own a sedan...so I don't see a need for my XETA to go as in scap value, Well its not as different considering the scrap from Maruti or Hyundai santro machines, maybe a 10- 20 thousand short...!

Secondly, Even if XETA was my first car, I would have still owned it for a period 4- 5 years before scrapping it for an upgrade..Any car used for 4 -5 yrs..is def pulling less and less value...be it a Maruti or TATA.

Its only the Rich kinds that can afford to change their small cars into biiiigggg cars every two years.

But I admit, Maruti and Hyundai do command a higher share in the second hand market over a TATA.

Could you also tell us about the Issues you are talking about..! on the XETA after Second Service..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 26th September 2006 at 07:53.
Old 26th September 2006, 18:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Could you also tell us about the Issues you are talking about..! on the XETA after Second Service..!
I was refering to this thread of yours. My uncle had the same issue on his V2 and rectified after cleaning the entire breaking system. We couldnt believe it that the pads rusted so quicky. The TATA engineer said its normal. Sadly, he was charged for the service.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=Xeta (XETA's First service coming up and Brake Issue..!)
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 20:54   #52
BHPian

Ok Ajo Bhai, Got that resolved, Just had the wheels removed, The disc and pads cleaned up and System bled for any air bubbles, and so it turns out as advised by Tsk..it was the culprit, The Brake's are fine now..! See I don't know how expensive will it be to own a xeta, but to counter the argument..All companies provide extended warranty cover which covers the most expensive and suspectible equipment, XETA is covered by Manufacturer warranty for 18 Months and Extended by 18 Months so 36 months in all and Maruti also offers a similar deal.

Rajdoll, I hope your friend made his mind..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 26th September 2006 at 20:58.
Old 12th October 2006, 17:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well, i always thought that Tata's forte would have been diesel cars, considering their hands have been in it for the past gazzillion years. However, I drove my friends xeta and was rather impressed. The engine was responsive, and with 5 adults in the car with the air-conditioning, it was not as sluggish as i might have expected it to be. Anyways, i have a DLE, and studryness, roadgrip et al seems to have come into this as well. I am seriously considering buying the Xeta. Lets see.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 12:31   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Rajdoll, I hope your friend made his mind..!
Sorry for not updating you guys, My friend bought it long back in April-06, and so far he is one happy customer.

Last edited by rajdoll : 13th October 2006 at 12:40.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2007, 21:45   #55
BHPian

Smile Ajo.........dont fool people around

U were speaking about Resale Value.....

Brother,after 5 years from now no second hand car(small cars which are 5 yrs old) will have the resale value more than say a lakh..

Reasons just if u have absorved the trend in the second hand markets every launch of new car in the same segment has a effect on the resale value of your car

i'll give u one example try purchasing a lancer 5 yr old model check out what's the price....if ur not a bakra u'll easily get it for 2.7-3.5 lakhs in bangalore,obviosly if ur gettin a Lancer for Good price who'll purchase a Alto,Xeta For ur price it'll just go further down

Mileage Depends upon how the person will drive....

Alto Advantages

>>>>Good Mileage.

>>>>Only alto give's Electronic steering in this segment(but again what's the use of electronic steering without Power in ur car @ all)

Xeta(i have noticed in this forum that everyone(a majority) is comparing alto with the old V2 engine just test drive the new xeta,Xeta is improved a lot

Xeta Advantages

>>>>Xcellent Boot space(can comfortably seat 5 adults).

>>>>Powerful Engine @ the price of Alto.

>>>>Powerful A/C yes i had been in many alto's and Xeta's,A/c in xeta is far far better compared to alto's

>>>> A solid car safety features in xeta is excellent compared to alto (will give ratings of test's done by some known companies)

In bumper 2 Bumper Traffic of bangalore my friend get's a mileage of around 13-14Kmpl in Alto.

My cousin who purchased Xeta allmost at the same time is getting a Mileage of 11-13Kmpl In xeta.
Sri Vathsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:43   #56

Ok I had the same delima.
The showrooms of Maruti and TATA in Borivli East Mumbai are in the same building.
I had a complete look at the Alto and then in a matter of 10 minutes at the Xeta. There is absolutely no comparison You feel u r being taken for a ride with the Alto as the prices r almost the same. all features of the Xeta are comparable to the Wagon R or the Santro.
Being a newbie all i can say is that you will not be very comfortable in terms of safety driving a Alto on the Highway compared to the Xeta.
Only FE is a issue.
If you are an experienced driver Its got to be Xeta.
Second hand cars from call centres defintely will be cheaper.
But I was too tempted by the Swift and finally bought a Red Swift
Betelguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 15:36   #57
BHPian

I had a Petrol Indica for almost two years and believe me guys had it been not for mileage, the care i found is unbeatable. It is for sure good

however that was a 75PS engine. The new with 1.2 Ltr, 65 bhp shud definitely give 14 in city.

Far better than Alto...
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:13   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri Vathsa View Post
U were speaking about Resale Value.....

Brother,after 5 years from now no second hand car(small cars which are 5 yrs old) will have the resale value more than say a lakh..
My old M800 without ac fetched 97k, after 7 years and 50k kilometres... I bought it for 1.98L... About 50% value after 7 years is too good, and only Maruti can command that... Indica wont get that sort of resale value...

But, otherwise, Xeta is a good car...

If given a choice, i wouldnt buy one though...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd January 2007 at 20:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2007, 20:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Sorry for not updating you guys, My friend bought it long back in April-06, and so far he is one happy customer.

What did he finally Buy ???
Old 23rd January 2007, 19:17   #60
BHPian

Ofcourse Xeta. You just can't compare it with Alto.
rajdoll is offline   Reply With Quote