Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

View Poll Results: Santro or Alto K10 - Performance Wise, Which is a Better Buy?
Santro 40 43.96%
Alto K10 51 56.04%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st November 2011, 09:53   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Santro or Alto K10 - Performance being the Single Criteria

Thanks all for the inputs !!

Now as I have mentioned in my opening post that occasionally this car would be driven by me as well, I would be thankful if this discussion was not person centric but more so towards which car is more FTD.

I personally don't prefer revving too hard, that was the reason I was asking for opinions on better bottom end torque and In Gear accelerations.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 11:52   #17
BHPian

Being a santro Owner i voted for this car, but a year and a half ago i was in the same situation as you. One test drive in both the cars and i fell for the santro. But i would like to add, my requirement was a strict city car and not so much highway cruiser or performance car.

The low end torque is absolutely brilliant! City driving is a breeze. because of the low end torque you dont have to rev the engine too much while driving in the city so cabin noise is very low. And 2nd gear is quite low in the santro so even in bumper to bumper traffic i hardly have to use 1st gear (with 2 ppl max in the car).

The interior is much nicer in the santro and the combination of beige and brown is just fantastic (IMHO). Plus the santro is a little more roomy inside than the k10.

Another fantastic feature of the santro is the brakes, they are just so brilliant! Some find it over sensitive, I too found it too sensitive in the beginning, but now it is this exact feature i love.

The downside to the santro is the tall body design where you have quite a bit of body roll. So attacking a corner cannot be done at high speeds. here I guess the K10 wins over the santro. But highway driving, i think the santro will have an edge with the 4 cylinder engine.

So the choice is yours, and please take a long test drive of both the cars, the answer will come to you on its own just as it did to me .

Last edited by amrisharm : 1st November 2011 at 12:01.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 18:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Lower gearing in a Santro results in poorer FE. Even if you rev K10 engine past 2500 RPM, you will get better FE. Santro is ideal for those who do not want to rev hard and potter around in one gear in a B2B traffic, but the down side is FE followed by AC performance which will poorer due to lower speed of the engine.

Any way K10 is a Fun-to-Drive, while Santro is staid and steady to drive. It is also a misconception that the Santro's low end torque gives it better acceleration initially. Try K10 - 35 km/h in first gear, 80-90 in second. You are way ahead of most with this performance (I do this regularly, when I have to get away from the crowd at traffic light)
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:54   #19
BHPian

In-city effortless driveability with low-end torque - Santro
High-revv enthusiastic driving style and handling - Alto K10

Voted for Santro for the poll based on the way you have defined performance. Your sis might also prefer easier driveability of Santro.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:36   #20
Oxy
BHPian

Incidentally, I find myself in a similar dilemma. However, I need to choose between the Santro and the Spark. The Alto K10 for some reason is being looked down upon with disgust by my wife.

My monthly running is not going to be more than 600-700 kms, so a diesel is out of question. And with the rising prices of petrol, I do not want to spend significantly on the car.

I have zeroed down on the Santro GL Plus and the Spark base model. I am planning to get one of these sometime in december so that I can avail those year end discounts.

If I go for Santro, I have to go for a GL Plus since the base model is without an AC. In case of the Spark, I think I can live with the base one, it comes with only the AC (no PS and no power windows). I can live without the power windows, but what I would like to know from Spark owners here is, does a car as tiny as the Spark really require a power steering? How difficult would it be to drive a Spark without PS for my wife? I am not willing to consider the Spark LS, since I feel I'd rather go for the Santro GL Plus, and the price difference between the Spark base model and the Santro GL Plus is close to 70k.

Another option is the Spark LS LPG. Don't know what to do.

By the way, a suggestion to the OP. Why not consider a Spark? I believe it's quite a peppy car.

Last edited by Oxy : 3rd November 2011 at 13:45.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:47   #21
BHPian

Oxy -

Between the Spark and Santro, the latter would win hands down.

Both in terms of performance and reliability.

For the year end discounts, I would suggest that you buy in Jan 2012 a Dec 2011 make, that would make the deal all the more sweeter for you.

If not all but some of the 70K difference can be made up whenever you for a resale, Santro any given day has better resale than the Spark.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:55   #22
BHPian

Choice 1: Santro - Better city driveability, Good low end torque, Smooth short gear throws
Choice 2: Santro - More headroom, Better looker IMO, Feels more planted at higher speeds.
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 16:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Santro purely for its low end torque and ease of driving in the city. On other counts such as ride quality and stability it fails utterly with a bumpy ride over irregularities in the road and unstable at speeds etc. But since you dont like to rev the engine a lot, Santro would be the better bet compared to the K10.

@Oxy, Am a Spark owner for the last 20 months and have done 20000 kms in this duration. The Spark is a well built car for its price and I was fortunate to land up with the PS model which comes with AC and Power Steering. It still feels tight and has no rattles etc. Best would be for your wife to try it out since i am not sure how easy it would be without power steering. But on all other counts it scores better in my books compared to the Santro. The ride quality is very good and stability at speeds was a surprise for me. Cabin space in the front and the well laid out storage spaces score brownie points. Take a test drive and decide!
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 10:59   #24
BHPian

I own a Santro from past 5 and half years. I would definitely recommend it for the following reasons

1. Zippy Drive in city.
2. Low end torque, you will just love it
3. Reliability
4. The fit and finish of interiors is good if not the best.

Other major factor could be the servicing the car at Hyundai A.S.S which is known for its higher Maintenance & labour charges for which you can refer the belowlink

Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community (Maintaining a HYUNDAI can now just make you bankrupt. Labour rates increased AGAIN!)

I too had a biter taste of the A.S.S because of which from past three years i have been getting my Santro serviced from a local garage which has been servicing our other cars as well and is very much reliable in terms of work and cost

The choice remains with you as one also needs to ascertain the service cost during the ownership of any car.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 7th November 2011 at 11:05.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 23:00   #25
BHPian

Considering we are getting Santro Gl plus at a slightly lower OTR than Alto K10 VXi, which is a better package (sitting comfort, legspace, bootspace and drivability, key concern, generally driven sedately) on the whole?

Current car is Matiz with which every one in family is very happy wrt to sitting position and comfort, They were not too keen on old ALto 800 wrt sitting position and power with AC on.

How is the maintenance cost for Santro and what is the expected FE, can it give 15-16 considering Alto 800 used to give us 18+ in this city(chandigarh)
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Considering we are getting Santro Gl plus at a slightly lower OTR than Alto K10 VXi, which is a better package (sitting comfort, legspace, bootspace and drivability, key concern, generally driven sedately) on the whole?

Current car is Matiz with which every one in family is very happy wrt to sitting position and comfort, They were not too keen on old ALto 800 wrt sitting position and power with AC on.

How is the maintenance cost for Santro and what is the expected FE, can it give 15-16 considering Alto 800 used to give us 18+ in this city(chandigarh)
. Alto K10 has same seating ergonomics as the Alto 800. So your call.
. For two persons with seats pushed back there is loads of space. Santro is a tall boy so seating would be less cramped.
. K10 AC and performance is much better compared to Santro.
. FE especially in city with AC is better in K10
. MUL seems to have a better service and considering the last few posts, less expensive than Hyundai.
. Alto has no rear demister or wiper, which is available on the high end Santro.

All in all within its limitations the K10 is the best city hatch you can buy within 4L.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 13:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. Alto has no rear demister or wiper, which is available on the high end Santro.

Rear demister or wiper is no longer available on any variant of Santro. It has been couple of years since they discontinued it.
vaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 13:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Rear demister or wiper is no longer available on any variant of Santro. It has been couple of years since they discontinued it.
And with that goes one of the reasons to get a Santro over an Alto. Now only USP is tall boy, and even there the new Estilo pricing will eat into the sales.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 13:57   #29
BHPian

I think you should go for K10. Its a hassle free fun to drive car, with relatively less expensive Spare Parts and A.S.S.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 16:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I got to drive a colleague's 1-month old K10 last week for some 15kms. The 2nd gear is lifeless below 1500rpm and maybe even till 1800rpm - you can stand on the A-pedal but nothing seems to happen. My friend says 3rd gear also is dead till the 1500rpm mark. Not a good trait in a city-car.

The only time I drove a Santro was some 8-9 years ago when driving home from the dealer a friend's new Santro. Don't remember much of the short drive, other than feeling tensed driving a new car belonging to someone else in peak traffic. But since many here vouch for it's low-end torque and easy of city-driving, I would think it would be a better choice in the city.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote