Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 14th March 2006, 08:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Another car u can consider is the Xeta...Better than teh Palio in the engine department. Palio scores in terms of build. But spares of the xeta would definitely be cheaper. and for a first time buyer, these things shoul dbe taken into consideration.

However, if you dont wanna consider the xeta, then go in for the swift. The Palio is too much of a risk . Personally I would wait or at least 6 months and see how the tata fiat alliance goes on, since TATA is also not exactly the best in terms of ASS. htey are only marginally better than Fiat and GM.

Himanshu !!

U r being contradictory ... U r recommending Xeta and later saying that TATA's service is not good.
However what makes u think that Xeta's engine is better than Palio's.
How can u even compare a DESI MALL with ITALIAN sexo ... i am just comparing automobile engineering and nothing else here.

First of all, there is an add on option for ABS on Palio for an extra 25K i think ( not too sure of the amount)

Palio's service would not be an issue after a month from now ... why i say after a month bcoz it would take sometime for TATAs to stock spares.

Since its your first car, i would say u can consider either Palio or Swift.
Both would be easy on maintenance and infact Palio 1.2 would give you better FE ( Palio - 11 with AC compared to Swift 9 / 10 with AC)

Palio's 1.2 engine is sluggish only during pickup but since its your first car you would be a careful driver so dont need a rocket.

My choice - Palio ...............

Yes, if u can wait till June / July ... new Palio is expected.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 09:07   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Besides, I wouldnt jump at a 4+ year old car just because it is now being supported by the dealers of another manufacturer - we all know where their priorities would be. Its early days yet for the Tata-Fiat alliance - see how it works first, then think in terms of buying the cars.

the palio used to be great in its time - but that time is past now and the market has moved ahead - so unless there is a newer version, the older one just aint worth all that trouble anymore ...
and on top of that we dont even know what shape the fiat factory is in which is rolling out these new pieces of palio - u might end up getting some rusted flood-hit or time-hit piece ....

but fiat need to do much more than come out with an "all new" palio, or tie up with the tata's to remove that "good car, but bad brand" image

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 14th March 2006 at 09:10.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:41   #33
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can u even compare a DESI MALL with ITALIAN sexo

hahaha !! now dats a comparison

aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 10:43   #34
Jay
BHPian

hey if the chioce is between palio 1.2L and swift zxi then i would recommend the zxi, pretty good power, good looks... however i feel its a little cramped for space but for a first car i would say a zxi... does it come with ABS too, not sure about it. with 1.6gtx not in the choice, swift zxi should do for a firsy car

my uncle had a 1.2L palio, not impressed by its perfoermance... my neighbour has a swift, except for the space (leg room) the rest is fine...
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 11:39   #35
BHPian

Hi Nandab,

The 1.2 ELX scores over the swift in terms of space,ride and build quality ( read SOLID ) but is a tad underpowered for the weight it pulls. However,given the pricetag and tata service network it is vfm for sure. The Swift is certainly the in thing in hatch back segment and will be a good car to have in your garage as your first buy. But if your heart says to go for the Palio..go for it!

cheers
mnemonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 11:55   #36
BHPian

Well !!

Even with its current looks Palio looks stunning. Moreover i can never forget the tank like feel which is similar to only SKODA but then they are 100% more costlier.

4+ years old does not render technology old .... BTW ... how old is Swift except for its looks .... more than a decade old engine.
In case of Palio its only the interiors which are BAD but rest is an excellent package.

I have driven both and known people owning both cars and my choice is still a Palio ............ however the originator of this thread can decide according to his priorities.

Cheers.
Old 14th March 2006, 12:28   #37
BHPian

Swift all the way, go for the VXi with ABS EBD that would suffice as a first time driver. Zxi (with airbags) only if your choice is more on Safety, automated aircon. I own a Swift Vxi w/o ABS am very happy with my car. Palio 1.2 pls keep away from it.
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 12:52   #38
BHPian

Fiat is shutting down its plant in kurla, and the production is shifted to its Pune Plant, hence no question of flood hit, rusted parts.
New palio launch is in the pipe line, plus service issues taken care by TATA.
Palio much cheaper than swift, splurge on accessories with the balance money.
I listened to my heart and bought palio 1.6 as my car, no issues so far..

Cheers .... Major
major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 12:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Palio all the way! Good looks, Superior Ride comfort, Spacious, High Safety etc !!! And now Service from Tata Motors! You can't ask for more!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:28   #40
BHPian

On any day I will opt for Palio. Because I own a Palio for more than a year. Its a totally problem free car. I go to service once in a year ..just for engine tune up, actually its not required ...but for playing safe.

So how do I take care of my Palio maintenance?
1. Palio manual has every detail you want.
2. I change my engine oil every 7500 at AC Delco just for Rs 60 labour. I used to buy the shell engine oil and Palio oil filter and give it to the mechanic. They will change it.
3. I used to clean air filter myself. And I can change it myself.
4. Check the timing belt with help of the mechanic friend.
5. Once in a year I will do wheel balancing and alignment at MRF tyredrome.

In short Palio is problem free car. But a painful fact is, its resale value is poor. Hence I am not planning to change my car in near future.
prkothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 13:30   #41
BHPian

Nothing against those recommending Swift or who love their Swft .. but just have a question to ask .............

The reviews on Swift as a product are not good either inspite of it being a MARUTI.
I have read forums of unsatisfied Swift owners cribbing about poooor FE ( 8 / 9 ), door rattles and other niggling issues. Wats ur say on this ??

Mind u its just a question to give the person seeking help a clearer picture on SWIFT.
Old 14th March 2006, 17:04   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
Nothing against those recommending Swift or who love their Swft .. but just have a question to ask .............

The reviews on Swift as a product are not good either inspite of it being a MARUTI.
I have read forums of unsatisfied Swift owners cribbing about poooor FE ( 8 / 9 ), door rattles and other niggling issues. Wats ur say on this ??

Mind u its just a question to give the person seeking help a clearer picture on SWIFT.
Poor FE on Swift??? Not that I have experienced. I consistently get 12 with 100% AC and quite peppy driving. My dad manages 13 always. Back seat rattle, is a common problem with most Swift owners, which is probably fixed in the current badge. I got mine fixed in first service (back seat rattle) but it has again started so going to get it fixed in next service.
Apart from that, its got superb handling, accelerator response, short gearing when compared to Esteem, and a pleasure to drive. I personally wont recommend Palio 1.2 when compared to Swift, but if you are considering Palio 1.6, than thats another story.
I think Swift is a clear winner in its segment, with its newness, tested and proved engine, road grip, safety, etc.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 19:00   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
and on top of that we dont even know what shape the fiat factory is in which is rolling out these new pieces of palio - u might end up getting some rusted flood-hit or time-hit piece ....
Could someone from the forum please confirm this? I have only heard about this in this forum, but would like to have some information from reliable sources? Any members from fiat?
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 19:43   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
Could someone from the forum please confirm this? I have only heard about this in this forum, but would like to have some information from reliable sources? Any members from fiat?
Seeing that Fiat have announced that they 'will be' shifting production to Ranjangaon in the near future, there is only one other submerged factory that these cars could have come from.

Went to meet my Tata Motors service manager (courtesy call) yesterday and found half the service bays occupied by Fiats. Wonder how they will cope up with the load.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 20:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

This one is a no-brainer.
Swift it is.
Reasons:
Since you are comparing Palio 1.2 with Swift, Swift wins anyday in performance department. Moreover, Palio 1.2 is bulky and has a sluggish pickup in city. Swift is a much more modern car, and the zxi gives you airbags, abs, ebd.. wich Palio doesnt offer. I have nothing against Palio.. but frankly, between Palio 1.2 and Swift, the Swift is a clear winner.
About the space, well let me tell you that the rear space is Palio is not that great as it is made out to be. I have travelled in Palio's rear seat extensively, and not only its inadequate for 3 people, the legroom is lesser than an Indica. From the outside, it does look big, but the design of the seats is such that the legroom is not that great, and even the width of the rear bench is no match for Indica. Compared to Swift, yes, the space is a bit more, but only slightly.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote