Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 23rd December 2011, 09:46   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Used car: 2006 Santro vs 2006 Indica

Many thanks for all of your replies, suggestions, queries and advice in such short time. It only goes to show the concern of members on T-bhp. I have thanked (used the icon) you all individually. It appears that nearly all of you have recommended the Santro over the Indica. We too had arrived at a similar conclusion, but we preferred to get a second opinion from you guys. Hence, this thread.

I have a few replies to some posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Santro seems to be a good buy but I am skeptical about the fact that the owner is selling the car with new Yokos and if the alloys are also not too old. I wouldn't have done this if I was intending to sell unless there were other issues and I was using this to sell the car. Somewhat like putting makeup on an old hag to make her look beautiful.
If you have the service history look for clutch replacement, brakes replacement, spark plug replacement etc. Most of these parts start going bad about the 45000 mark and you could end up spending for this later.
Also seems to be overpriced.

9000 kms and a bald tyre also sounds fishy almost as if there is a suspension issue, which can also explain the rattling sound.

It will be better if you look for something else. You should be able to get a Diesel Indica (2006 - 2007) for close to the price you are expecting. Also, you can look for the Accent.

Another choice could be the A-star which has a poor resale for an otherwise good car.

Why not look at a Zen Estilo, the new basic version is almost as cheap as you get! Probably you could get a good deal (December, cash payment, etc).
The Santro in question is owned by a person, who has 2-3 other vehicles and wants to dispose the Santro. The owner's close friend works at Hyundai and my friend too works at Goa Hyundai. When I mentioned that I was on the lookout for a good used car within Rs 2.5L and as quickly as possible (given the arrival of my uncle on Dec 28), my Hyundai friend spread the word round the showroom and found out that his colleague had a friend who wanted to sell off his Santro.

My Hyundai friend then personally verified the service history of this car (it has regularly been serviced at Goa Hyundai) and on confirming that it has a very good history, recommended that we go in for this vehicle. There were other Santro cars available with other dealerships, but their service history was dubious.

Having scouted for used cars for the first time, I have now learned that beggars can't be choosers especially when...

1. One needs a car within a fixed budget.
2. Ones needs a car within a fixed deadline.

There was a lovely 2010 Alto K10 (6K kms) for Rs 2.6L at the Sai Service used car depot at Porvorim, but by the time my uncle made up his mind on this vehicle, it was sold off to another customer.

Of all the used cars (within the budget) that we saw at various company/private used car depots over the past week or so, this Santro was in best working condition, had a clear service history and was fully loaded. Yes, it may seem priced on the higher side, but under the conditions that we were in, it seemed a best fit within my uncle's budget. Since both Hyundai workers were supporting us in this deal, they assured us that they would take personal car of the Santro, if and when the need arises.

For instance, when we saw this Santro at the Hyundai service centre, the following things were needed:

1. A wiper blade (the left wiper blade needed replacement).
2. Adjusting the rear left door handle (it was not opening properly).
3. Greasing one door (as it was creaking).
4. Touching up a small scratch on the bonnet (to prevent it from rusting).
5. Tightening the driver's seat cover (as it had become loose).

They themselves told me to do these things and rectified all this for me for free and within 30 minutes.

I did consider a new and unpopular car like the Estilo, but even with all discounts, it would have been way over my uncle's budget. Given the choice, I would have loved buying the new Nano, is it would have fitted perfectly within my uncle's budget. Biggest problem is, it has no PS and with my uncle nearing 80 years, it would have been difficult for him to steer the Nano between 1-10 kmph, a fact confirmed by GTO in his excellent review of the new Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Santro should be a no brainer.

Your uncle's usage is'nt much as you mentioned. And the Santro will give you many kms of tension free usage, especially since it seems like a very well maintained specimen. Even in case of repairs, its fairly easy and aftersales is a pleasure with Hyundai.

With Tata, what can I say? The car and your impression during the TD says it all. Might be cheaper now, but be sitting in the garage all the time man. Thats if it does'nt break down in the middle of nowhere.

But bargain hard, you should be able to get the Santro a tad cheaper, what with the cost of a new car being so cheap these days.
As mentioned earlier, my uncle's usage is minimal as he is down in Goa for only a few months of the year. Hence, his limited budget. But he wants a used car simply because Goa's public transport system is pathetic in comparison with the public transportation system in Mumbai during the day and worse still, at night. Taxis fleece people and autorickshaws don't even use a meter fare system. For example, an rickshaw charges a minimum of Rs 80 for a 3-km trip in some places here in Goa. Recently, a fellow T-bhpian came to Goa on a holiday and he told me that he was being charged Rs 2000 for a 55-km trip in a taxi.

We did try to bargain with the Santro, but the owner prefers to hold on to the Santro, if he did not get price that he wanted. Problem is, the other cars that we saw were in inferior condition and besides, we had only a few days to scout out for vehicles and make a final decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Of the two the Santro seems to be the more sensible choice.

Misquitas, one question; will the car be used at all when your Uncle is not in Goa or will it be left idle? We're in a similar situation and need purchase a car for only 2-3 months use in Chennai. Considering the 2012 Nano right now.
Regarding the Nano, my reply is mentioned earlier in this post. The Santro will be kept at another uncle's house, when this Mumbai uncle is...in Mumbai. The car will be sparingly used (mainly to keep it running) when my Mumbai uncle is not here in Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I was going to suggest Indica as its just at 9K and can painlessly serve you till at least 50-60k easily until i saw the lines above specifically around owner has not used this car much.

Also it seems like you liked the santro more as it has held itself better over the years. recommend you go with Santro.
Yes, under the conditions and availability of used vehicles within our budget and within the limited time, this Santro seemed the best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
I would recommend you to stick with the santro even though its expensive. From the TD itself you got some problems with the indica, trust me its gonna get no better with time. Its better to go for santro for a problem free life.
Yes, we too have our doubts regarding the Indica, though a Goa uncle (who accompanied me during our test drives of both vehicles) also owns an Indica. The only attractive deal with the Indica was the quoted price and the kms done so far. But given some reliability issues with many Indica petrols, I was not sure whether it was a good deal.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:19   #17
BHPian

Honestly neither is a good deal !
Indica petrol ? Who buys it anyway. Just Avoid it.

With petrol cars going through some serious discounts (including hatchbacks like i10, Estilo etc,) 2.3 lakhs for a 5 year old,38K km old car ?

Its a bad deal. Seriously !

Few good 2nd hand cars you should check out for :
- Spark. Great hatch,poor resale
- Aveo UV-A. Practical hatch but hard to find.
- Estilo. Maruti's trust but slow selling. Can be a good bargain.
- Getz (as someone mentioned above, exceptional car that was discontinued for other reasons)
- Wagon R old (it has good resale value but very reliable)

If you still want to go for that Santro, nothing more than 1.8-1.9 lakhs should be the price
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 13:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Biggest problem is, it has no PS and with my uncle nearing 80 years, it would have been difficult for him to steer the Nano between 1-10 kmph, a fact confirmed by GTO in his excellent review of the new Nano.
1. How about asking your uncle to TD a Nano himself to see if he can work out with non-power steering?

2. A friend of mine is also in exactly same situation as you. He is swinging between a 2nd hand Wagon R for 2.3 lac and a new K10/Estilo (though can't afford a new car). I will let you know as soon as he finalizes a car.

3. It seems that you didn't search for a 2nd hand Wagon R. Any particular reason for not choosing Wagon R? Being a Suzuki, it will give your uncle more peace of mind than a Hyundai which are also considerably more expensive to maintain.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 23rd December 2011 at 13:45.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:45   #19
BHPian

I too am a proud owner of a Santro Purchased in 2010. With so many choices in the market for new compact cars i still went with the old and trusted Santro because of its brilliant engine, interior space and most importantly a lot of head room( i am 6"1). This car is supposed to be in the size category with the Alto K10 and the Spark, but I must say of the three I would pick the santro any day.

With regards to your choice of the Indica, well my uncle had bought a Diesel indica (used), and from the day he bought it, the car used to be plagued with niggling problems. this week it would be the front shock, next week it would suspension etc etc. tatas are very famous for being ok performers when new, but 2nd hand is a whole different story. this is reflected by the price as well, 2.3L for the santro and, though the Indica cost almost the same when new and is as old as the Santro, the price is quoted as 1.5L for the tata.

As someone said, its a no brainer
Pls try to negotiate the price for the santro as the price seems a bit steep by about 10,000-15,000.
amrisharm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Team-bhp brethren, need your advice URGENTLY on a query.

* Front left tyre was bald.
* Steering was making unsual sounds when turning. Something I have not noticed in my Alto or i10.
* Slight rattle below the car when travelling.

Many thanks.
Some things dont connect - A car that has run just 9000 km, has a bald tyre? Mechanical noises?

I have a 2006 Indica Xeta (Petrol) which I must admit I have put through some abuse, but dont have any of the problems mentioned here.

May be one of the wheels were swapped with one from a cab in the service station (downside of owning an Indica). These things do happen at TASS if one is not careful

If hes planning to dispose the car after a short use, i think renting a car may not be a bad option. I dont know the rental rates in India though, but I have seen some Hertz Santros in Bangalore.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 00:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Honestly neither is a good deal !
Indica petrol ? Who buys it anyway. Just Avoid it.

With petrol cars going through some serious discounts (including hatchbacks like i10, Estilo etc,) 2.3 lakhs for a 5 year old,38K km old car ?

Its a bad deal. Seriously !

Few good 2nd hand cars you should check out for :
- Spark. Great hatch,poor resale
- Aveo UV-A. Practical hatch but hard to find.
- Estilo. Maruti's trust but slow selling. Can be a good bargain.
- Getz (as someone mentioned above, exceptional car that was discontinued for other reasons)
- Wagon R old (it has good resale value but very reliable)

If you still want to go for that Santro, nothing more than 1.8-1.9 lakhs should be the price
On paper, most cars that you have listed are indeed good for a used car. Problem is, not all of these car are available when you want them. And when you are working within a tight deadline, what comes your way need not always be what you want.

Regarding the "high" price of the Santro, I get the feeling that price of used cars here in Goa is on the higher side than those in other parts of India. For example, we had seen the following cars in other used car depots:

1. Santro (2008): bald tyres, old battery, expired insurance, expected price: Rs 2.45 lakh.

2. Estilo (2007): Dead battery, LHS power window not working: Expected price: Rs 2.4L

In comparison, the Santro we had shortlisted may have aged by 1-2 years over the two above cars, but it had a good service history, was in much better working condition, was fully loaded to the gill and was cheaper than the two above cars.

In fact, we did not find a single used PS/AC Santro available for under Rs 2 lakh here during the past one week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
It seems that you didn't search for a 2nd hand Wagon R. Any particular reason for not choosing Wagon R? Being a Suzuki, it will give your uncle more peace of mind than a Hyundai which are also considerably more expensive to maintain.
The main reason why I did not consider the Wagon R was because my aunt simply could not digest its looks. "It looks very boxy," she remarked. Personally though, I would have strongly considered the practical and popular Wagon R for them, had she been more favourable towards the WagonR. Somehow though, she was OK with the looks of the Santro.

I don't know about the peace of mind factor of the WagonR, but if I were to consider a second hand car for myself and if I had a choice between a Santro and a WagonR, I would be immediately have opted for the Santro. In my opinion, the fit and finish as well as build quality of the Santro is far superior to the WagonR. It is for a good reason that the decade-old and petrol-only Santro continues to sell 4-5K cars without any face-lift and with the same "old" engine.

Such has been the build quality of the Santro, that I even showed my cousin 4 Santro Zip Plus (pre-2003 model) cars at the Hundai service centre. None of these 9-yr-old cars had a faded or rusted body. Contrasted with the many faded or rusted 3-4 year old Indica cars that I constantly see on roads here in Goa, the Indica seems to age quite fast in comparison to the Santro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I too am a proud owner of a Santro Purchased in 2010. With so many choices in the market for new compact cars i still went with the old and trusted Santro because of its brilliant engine, interior space and most importantly a lot of head room( i am 6"1). This car is supposed to be in the size category with the Alto K10 and the Spark, but I must say of the three I would pick the santro any day.

With regards to your choice of the Indica, well my uncle had bought a Diesel indica (used), and from the day he bought it, the car used to be plagued with niggling problems. this week it would be the front shock, next week it would suspension etc etc. tatas are very famous for being ok performers when new, but 2nd hand is a whole different story. this is reflected by the price as well, 2.3L for the santro and, though the Indica cost almost the same when new and is as old as the Santro, the price is quoted as 1.5L for the tata.

As someone said, its a no brainer
Pls try to negotiate the price for the santro as the price seems a bit steep by about 10,000-15,000.
Fully agree with your comments on the Santro and the Indica. My respect for the good-old Santro has increased drastically, more so with the small hatches available nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Some things dont connect - A car that has run just 9000 km, has a bald tyre? Mechanical noises?

I have a 2006 Indica Xeta (Petrol) which I must admit I have put through some abuse, but dont have any of the problems mentioned here.

May be one of the wheels were swapped with one from a cab in the service station (downside of owning an Indica). These things do happen at TASS if one is not careful

If hes planning to dispose the car after a short use, i think renting a car may not be a bad option. I dont know the rental rates in India though, but I have seen some Hertz Santros in Bangalore.
We too were surprised to find 3 tyres with decent amount of thread and one tyre which was bald. That the wheel was not swapped was evident as the lady informed us that the spare tyre have been swapped with the front left tyre. This caused us even more concern -- the actual tyre must has been bad enough for the technician to swap the spare tyre with the main tyre. And now, the spare tyre was bald, all within a distance of barely 9k kms! Something was seriously wrong for two tyres to be clean shaven.

My uncle would earlier rent a private car for self-drive, but they would charge a minimum of Rs 1000 per day (without petrol). To avoid the high rental costs, he decided to go in for his own car.

UPDATE: We purchased and took possession of the Santro car this evening. Many thanks for all of your posts, comments, advice and suggestions.

Last edited by misquitas : 24th December 2011 at 00:34.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2011, 03:38   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
On paper, most cars that you have listed are indeed good for a used car. Problem is, not all of these car are available when you want them. And when you are working within a tight deadline, what comes your way need not always be what you want.

Regarding the "high" price of the Santro, I get the feeling that price of used cars here in Goa is on the higher side than those in other parts of India. For example, we had seen the following cars in other used car depots:

1. Santro (2008): bald tyres, old battery, expired insurance, expected price: Rs 2.45 lakh.

2. Estilo (2007): Dead battery, LHS power window not working: Expected price: Rs 2.4L

In comparison, the Santro we had shortlisted may have aged by 1-2 years over the two above cars, but it had a good service history, was in much better working condition, was fully loaded to the gill and was cheaper than the two above cars.

In fact, we did not find a single used PS/AC Santro available for under Rs 2 lakh here during the past one week.

The main reason why I did not consider the Wagon R was because my aunt simply could not digest its looks. "It looks very boxy," she remarked. Personally though, I would have strongly considered the practical and popular Wagon R for them, had she been more favourable towards the WagonR. Somehow though, she was OK with the looks of the Santro.

I don't know about the peace of mind factor of the WagonR, but if I were to consider a second hand car for myself and if I had a choice between a Santro and a WagonR, I would be immediately have opted for the Santro. In my opinion, the fit and finish as well as build quality of the Santro is far superior to the WagonR. It is for a good reason that the decade-old and petrol-only Santro continues to sell 4-5K cars without any face-lift and with the same "old" engine.

Such has been the build quality of the Santro, that I even showed my cousin 4 Santro Zip Plus (pre-2003 model) cars at the Hundai service centre. None of these 9-yr-old cars had a faded or rusted body. Contrasted with the many faded or rusted 3-4 year old Indica cars that I constantly see on roads here in Goa, the Indica seems to age quite fast in comparison to the Santro.

Fully agree with your comments on the Santro and the Indica. My respect for the good-old Santro has increased drastically, more so with the small hatches available nowadays.

We too were surprised to find 3 tyres with decent amount of thread and one tyre which was bald. That the wheel was not swapped was evident as the lady informed us that the spare tyre have been swapped with the front left tyre. This caused us even more concern -- the actual tyre must has been bad enough for the technician to swap the spare tyre with the main tyre. And now, the spare tyre was bald, all within a distance of barely 9k kms! Something was seriously wrong for two tyres to be clean shaven.

My uncle would earlier rent a private car for self-drive, but they would charge a minimum of Rs 1000 per day (without petrol). To avoid the high rental costs, he decided to go in for his own car.

UPDATE: We purchased and took possession of the Santro car this evening. Many thanks for all of your posts, comments, advice and suggestions.
Hi,

Sent you a Message on couple of options try to look into that options
SPEEDY_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote