Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2006, 14:27   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: bikaner
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
You started off with a "Santro or WagonR" question but then veered off to ask about Esteems, Balenos and even Honda City provided the recurring costs are not more. You said you can stretch your budget.

On this theme let me suggest you an option. Spend around Rs.2.8 and get a new Indica Xeta. The FE is around 14 in city, it is more cavernous than many of the booted cars, has beige interiors (looks good), is even peppier than what it used to be... and IMO looks good as well.

In fact think about it and you won't find a better deal than that. And you will get a new true-blue 5 seater and still pay the same that you will pay for a used car (which may mean regular expenses if you fail to identify the car properly at buying stage). Mind you Indica is the cheapest car to own in its segments (yes, not only diesel but even in petrol). That is because their parts are very cheap, service costs are low and the car comes with a 3 years' warranty... so its the ultimate peace of mind for such a low spend!

Hi,
First of all thanks to all who took pain (or pleasure) to share their valuable views and experience...
Ya, what I can find out is that as far as used alternative is concerned techanically the better car is what is better maintened or better priced...

As far as stretching the budget is concerned, If worth buying it can be 2.9 to 3.1 or so...

I have Prejudices about Indicas... One is that these are expensive to maintain and not so easy to drive (mainly my wife will drive) ...

But at this price what I can get is the Base model without AC and Power steering (Indica seems heavy for Ladies) and thats why, for me, it may not proove value for money.

I will be going for Petrol version (of any car, for LPG cause) ...

I know that New car is just New Car no match or alternative to that, but at present , I am looking for value for money...

I have talked to some people and I think that I can get 2 years old Santro for 1.9 to 2.2 L ( upto 40kms done, It may sound inexpensive, but its true.) . ON Jmdcars.com the price of same is shown about 2.5-2.9 L
Indicas are more inexpensive and at present I don't know about the WagonR... may be 5-10 k expensive

So when I get any quote I will be back again... and will tell you

Last edited by winlotwin : 21st March 2006 at 14:36.
winlotwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 14:29   #17
BHPian
 
goldie_malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
You started off with a "Santro or WagonR" question but then veered off to ask about Esteems, Balenos and even Honda City provided the recurring costs are not more. You said you can stretch your budget.

On this theme let me suggest you an option. Spend around Rs.2.8 and get a new Indica Xeta. The FE is around 14 in city, it is more cavernous than many of the booted cars, has beige interiors (looks good), is even peppier than what it used to be... and IMO looks good as well.

In fact think about it and you won't find a better deal than that. And you will get a new true-blue 5 seater and still pay the same that you will pay for a used car (which may mean regular expenses if you fail to identify the car properly at buying stage). Mind you Indica is the cheapest car to own in its segments (yes, not only diesel but even in petrol). That is because their parts are very cheap, service costs are low and the car comes with a 3 years' warranty... so its the ultimate peace of mind for such a low spend!
Thats a great idea, Zappo - why bother with an old car, when you can get a new one for a little more.

And it meets all of winlotwin's requirements except for 3 - as an Indica is definitely not very easy to drive in the city, compared to santro or wagon-r. But its sturdy enough to take the bump and grind of indian roads.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 14:38   #18
BHPian
 
goldie_malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlotwin
I have Prejudices about Indicas... One is that these are expensive to maintain...
Quite unfounded - there are many members in this forum, who can vouch for excellent service network of the Tatas and low service and spare costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlotwin
But at this price what I can get is the Base model without AC and Power steering (Indica seems heavy for Ladies) and thats why, for me, it may not proove value for money.
I think in 2.8L you should get the A/C model, stretch to 3 and you get the P/S as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlotwin
I have talked to some people and I think that I can get 2 years old Santro for 1.9 to 2.2 L ( upto 40kms done, It may sound inexpensive, but its true.) . ON Jmdcars.com the price of same is shown about 2.5-2.9 L
I recently sold my 2003 Santro (top-end model) in Delhi, for around 2.80 L, and it had done around 20k on odo, so I think the price shown on that website is quite valid. I think the market price should not be below 2.4 L for any model and any usage.

However, you can still keep searching for a good deal, but beware, as cars with prices lower than the market often have an accident or a trouble-prone history.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 05:09   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
mithun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 1,950
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Based on the 2nd hand car prices, it seems to be like that Wagon R is having a better resale value than the Santro. Is that true ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 10:05   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,045
Thanked: 476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Based on the 2nd hand car prices, it seems to be like that Wagon R is having a better resale value than the Santro. Is that true ?
Yes it is. Atleast in Delhi.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 10:58   #21
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

my vote will go for wagon R simply cause of its AC & maruti brand value. else its more of a personal choice. they are more or less the same.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 11:20   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Had driven both Wagon-R and Satro (short drives only). Both are equally good cars.

As someone suggested earlier, keep an open mind for both the cars & start hunting. Pick the less done, well maintainted car (be it a wagon-r or santro)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:20   #23
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Reviving an old thread.

As my M-800 completes close to 7 years of trouble free ownership & about 67K KMS on the ODO, I am looking for an upgrade to a Used Wagon R or Santro in next 4 - 5 months say by June 2013.

My Requirements:

Given the nature of my job, I get to travel approx 1000 KMS within Bangalore City limits every month. My in city travel involves parking in tight spots almost on a daily basis. This car will be used to drop kids to school as well & will double up as a family car over weekends.

Weekend travel will include another 400 KMS every month.


I am looking for a tall boy as the number of times I get in & out of the car on a daily basis is high plus I am 5.11 tall and heavy built. So a Tall boy is essential.

With a budget of around INR 2.50 lacs, the two options I have is Wagon R (2007/2008 version) or Santro. Plan to exchange my M - 800 and take a used car loan for the balance amount.

I need good service back up with spares availability as I travel to other parts of the state / country.

Given my M - 800 Ownership, I am more tilted towards Maruti as a brand and Wagon R more than the Santro.

Plan to own the car for next 3 years at least and then look for a new one.

Please advise.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:32   #24
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Reviving an old thread.

As my M-800 completes close to 7 years of trouble free ownership & about 67K KMS on the ODO, I am looking for an upgrade to a Used Wagon R or Santro in next 4 - 5 months say by June 2013.

My Requirements:

Given the nature of my job, I get to travel approx 1000 KMS within Bangalore City limits every month. My in city travel involves parking in tight spots almost on a daily basis. This car will be used to drop kids to school as well & will double up as a family car over weekends.

Weekend travel will include another 400 KMS every month.


I am looking for a tall boy as the number of times I get in & out of the car on a daily basis is high plus I am 5.11 tall and heavy built. So a Tall boy is essential.

With a budget of around INR 2.50 lacs, the two options I have is Wagon R (2007/2008 version) or Santro. Plan to exchange my M - 800 and take a used car loan for the balance amount.

I need good service back up with spares availability as I travel to other parts of the state / country.

Given my M - 800 Ownership, I am more tilted towards Maruti as a brand and Wagon R more than the Santro.

Plan to own the car for next 3 years at least and then look for a new one.

Please advise.

No replies . Are these cars out of discussion points now. Bhpians, please reply.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,189
Thanked: 4,212 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Hello,

Both cars are reliable ones but I would prefer the Wagon R over Santro. Both are tall boy designs & getting in & out is among the easiest things in the world to do in both cars. May be Santro will be a wee bit more easier in this aspect..not sure though.
But I believe the cost of ownership will be the key. Hyundai service costs are typically higher than Maruti and I'll be concerned about it if I am buying a used car.
With the Wagon R, you can expect a tad better FE. I am not really sure if 5 passengers will be comfortable in it esp in long journeys, but same goes for the Santro too.

Just my 2 cents!

Regards.
saket77 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 15:50   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

We've been using our Santro as our daily workhorse since 2005. Although the running is not quite a lot, the Santro has given us little to no problems till date, apart from the usual niggles here and there. I absolutely love the meaty torque on this little hatchback and it can comfortably carry 5 passengers with 2 medium size suitcases. Its tallboy structure is a boon for taller occupants and the seats are pretty comfortable - the dark fabric easy to maintain. One thing that looses out to the Wagon R would be the mileage. Our is the Santro Xing XG model (pre ERLX) and with a moderate to light foot it only gives an average of 10-12 on petrol 100% city driving with AC on 80% of the times.

The Santro was fitted with a CNG kit in 2010 and has been running without any problems on alternate fuel. Per km running cost with A/c comes to approx 2-2.25 Rs. Pickup hasn't decreased, no vibrations - only the occasional air filter cleaning required as specified by the installer.

Easy to ride, park and maintain my vote goes to the Santro.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 29th January 2013 at 15:51.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 16:25   #27
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 265
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

i feel more inclined towards the Wagon R as spares are much less expensive and available even with local spare part dealers. Major parts of the Maruti Wagon R are cheaper than the santro's.
I guess it has a slightly better resale value too compared to the santro. you can see many Santro's from 1999 2000 even 2001 cars for sale at just 90,000, but Wagon R's are hard to come by at those prices. If i were you I'd buy the Wagon R.
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 16:42   #28
Newbie
 
pikaxe123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Albeit I am a suzuki fan due to the ease of availibility of parts & spares. But In this case I will have to say santro.
  • The fit finish is slightly better than wagon-r. I have have couple of freinds who have either aging 5yrs + and the distance run is 50k plus.All i can say that the Wagon r rattles & the santro doesn't.
  • due to the butter smooth steering which makes city drive fun & effortless.
  • Downside:If you wish to deal with hyundai in terms of spares cost & availibilty, MUL is anyday better.
This is a subjective matter. But this is my opinion.
pikaxe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 17:14   #29
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 224
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
i feel more inclined towards the Wagon R as spares are much less expensive and available even with local spare part dealers. Major parts of the Maruti Wagon R are cheaper than the santro's.
I guess it has a slightly better resale value too compared to the santro. you can see many Santro's from 1999 2000 even 2001 cars for sale at just 90,000, but Wagon R's are hard to come by at those prices. If i were you I'd buy the Wagon R.
Thanks for the reply guys. Personally, I am more inclined towards the Wagon R as this comes from a current Maruti owner. However, I like the Santro for its engine and the drive ability it offers in bumper to bumper traffic especially in a place like bangalore. The eRLX engine is a gem. However, Wagon R wins over Santro in terms of A.S.S, spares availability and long term ownership. This is my assumption. I will start looking out for a good Santro & Wagon R, test drive them and then make a wise decision.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 17:22   #30
BHPian
 
msaudf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 265
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Used Car : Santro or WagonR

Good luck with your search mate. While you are on the look out it would also help if you did some research on the swift petrol, also the chevy spark (low resale though) and maybe the Indigo diesel. these are cars that could fit your budget. just my 2 cent.
Cheers buddy.
Saud
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti WagonR over Hyundai Eon? EDIT : Bought WagonR with ABS / Airbags BoneCollector Hatchbacks 35 22nd May 2015 11:49
Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B.. DCEite Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 27 19th April 2014 23:02
Used WagonR or Santro nicejits Modifications & Accessories 0 14th April 2007 14:37
WagonR or Swift?(calling swift and wagonR owners) rajshenoy Hatchbacks 43 29th March 2007 09:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks