Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Old 20th January 2012, 17:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a pre-owned Palio S10 for 60K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
@Torquedo Can you post any pictures of thi 60K car. Pictures could deceive but can definitely be the first step in assessing.
Perhaps the owner would have got fed up of Palio woes and spending a lot on it and disposing off. Car could still be a good one. Don't discard if you really want an S10.
Sure Rajeev, shall capture the snaps over the weekend and post them here.

There are many gurus here who might help me out !!

Cheers
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2012, 20:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Sure Rajeev, shall capture the snaps over the weekend and post them here.
Torquedo, is this the car you're talking about? If yes, you need to get it thoroughly, I repeat thoroughly, before buying.

The images shared below were clicked by the seller and NOT me. I don't claim any rights for the images.

Name:  6145450501326210004.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  1360668911326209978.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  17360353861326209962.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  44.7 KB
Klub Class is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 14:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class
Torquedo, is this the car you're talking about? If yes, you need to get it thoroughly, I repeat thoroughly, before buying.
Thanks a ton for all the support and help Klub Class, but pardon me this is not the one.

Guys, I took the S10 for a short spin in a very congested area, here are my findings -

1) The RC stated it was a 12XX CC, when I looked beneath the bonnet it said Fiat 16V so was a bit confused at the very onset.

2) The pedals seemed to be from the S10.

3) The logo on the back was missing, it had a simple FIAT logo.

4) The owner was a humble guy who seemed to have it serviced well but I have no clue on the way the previous owners kept it.

5) We met at a TATA service station, the owner had brought the vehicle with an issue of the Fan causing overheating in dense traffic conditions.

6) The types were new, the alloys were in place, the centre FIAT logo was missing on 2 of the 4 alloys.

7) OK this was the biggest problem, at times while the car was in the neutral gear, suddenly the RPM was shooting by itself to 4K off RPM, which was worrying for me. I asked the SA, he said the throttle body might need a replacement, the cost 16-17K.

8) The owner has the original S10 stereo in place which does not work, he is giving away a CD/USB player with the car.

So fellas, what do I do to confirm, firstly, if it is the S10, the RC made me think twice and does it sound like a good deal ?

PS: The owner mentioned 52K on the ODO over the call 53K and when I met him it showed 51979 Kms so confused again.

Please suggest, thanks in anticipation !!

Happy Motoring !!
Old 24th January 2012, 15:11   #19
Team-BHP Support

What a pathetically kept machine. Run as far away as possible from the car.

The rpm shooting incident is known to all Palio 1.6's. Some have it and some don't. It might get fixed with a throttle body change and it might not. As everyone mentioned before, Fiat cars are temperamental.

This is what a well kept S10, should look like - Palio S10: 1.6L 100BHP - khan_sultan's Garage - Team-BHP

The problem with Palio spares has gone up and they are almost non-existent.

If the car is neat 60k kms, an ill maintained car will need:

- Clutch replacement - 6-7k
- Lower arm replacement - 8k
- Timing belt replacement - 5k

Looking at the pictures, I don't think you should go ahead with the deal.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 15:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What a pathetically kept machine. Run as far away as possible from the car.
Quote:
Looking at the pictures, I don't think you should go ahead with the deal.
Kiran, the images that I've shared in this thread as NOT of the S10 mentioned by Torquedo as is clear from his post below :

Quote:
Thanks a ton for all the support and help Klub Class, but pardon me this is not the one.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2012, 15:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Kiran, the images that I've shared in this thread as NOT of the S10 mentioned by Torquedo as is clear from his post below :
My bad, I need some coffee. But, who on earth has kept the S10 that way? It looks to be in a rag pickers yard. Horrible sight.

Btw, Torquedo, as a former Palio owner, I could check the car for you over a weekend. However, overheating problems and the throttle body problem isn't a good sign either.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 00:35   #22
BHPian

I have finally found a Palio 1.6 GTX, which is up for sale in Delhi, and that too in red. All thanks to Klub_Class!

I have no idea about its condition as of now. However, I did visit the dealer and had a brief chat with him about the car.

First things first, the dealer was constantly procrastinating the date when I could visit him and inspect the car. He finally called me up today morning and asked to visit the showroom by evening. I went to the dealership today but to my surprise there was nothing to be found.

He then told me that car is lying at the owner's garage in Mayur Vihar, and it will take half an hour for the car to arrive as it won't start because of some battery issues. He said that the car had been lying there for a long time.

Then after about 15 minutes his phone rings and some fellow tells him that the car couldn't be started. He tried to convince me that there's nothing wrong but the battery. He told me that car is in fine condition and that he only drove the car two days back to the garage. I can sense something fishy here, as he first said that the car was lying there for a long time. I don't think two days is a long time.

The main thing though is the price here. He quoted 75k for the car. As it's a 10 year old Fiat, I can simply pull the amount down by another 10-15k. But after reading a few comments on this page, I have my apprehensions. And my mind is constantly asking, "Why would anyone sell this car for 60k?"

As per the dealer's mouth the car has done 62k kilometers on the odo. I am yet to inspect the car. I plan to visit him tomorrow if in case the car starts.

Is 60-70k too cheap for this car? I can spend 20-30k further on it's maintenance so as to get her back in shape. Would it be enough? I am planning to take a mechanic along but he's no Fiat expert.

I need your suggestions on this...
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 18:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but pardon me this is not the one.
Torquedo, did you shelve your plans for buying an S10? If not, please have a look at this ad : FIAT Palio 1.6 - Mumbai - Cars - Vikhroli West. The car looks like a well maintained one and seems promising.

The queries posted by you are too technical for me to answer. That's why I didn't reply to your post.
Klub Class is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 20:08   #24
BHPian

@Torquedo and @Shivank - There is a wonderful saying in English. If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is. My advice to both of the cars is "I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole". Both deals look decidedly dodgy.

I have a cousin who has a Palio 1.6 and I have driven it quite extensively. It is a brilliant handling car and in well maintained state still one the most fun cars to drive. His biggest problem is maintaining it and getting spares for it. He has a good mechanic and because he lives in Coorg he invariably winds up getting cheaper parts and figuring out solutions rather than getting the original parts, which would be ideal.

Good luck to both of you finding a good Palio. It is really fun to drive if you can find a good example and maintain it well.
pganapathy is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 14:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class
Torquedo, did you shelve your plans for buying an S10?
Thanks a Ton to all, especially Klub Class, moralfibre, Khan Sultan and mnemonic for all the advice and ownership/driving experience on the S10, you guys are really really helpful !!

I have eventually dropped the plan for going for the S10, the deal looked too shady for me to pursue.

Thanks to all for the contributions !!

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2012 at 15:37. Reason: Thread will stay open as others could have questions on this car. Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 21:56   #26
BHPian

I have got GTX last year for 1.5l and 55k on the odo. It does look like the steep price. But for me it looks like sweet deal as it comes with fresh tyres, new battery and most of the parts are stock. I just spend some bomb on replacing few parts mostly ICE, Lower arm, general service but the car is hoot to drive. Back to back driving on T-Jet and GTX doesnot have any substantial difference. Couple of things are still pending such as rear shocks, Timing belt kit, may be a clutch job, front shock mounts, probably clutch overhaul and sequential kit. Remember once you are addicted you are bound to spend even if you have small creaking noise. The build quality is fantastic. Very very minor rust for a 2002 car and no creaking noise. Try to get a good car in terms of mechanical condition rest of the things can be brought to shape.

Regards,
VIjay
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 11:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
I have got GTX last year for 1.5l and 55k on the odo. It does look like the steep price. But for me it looks like sweet deal as it comes with fresh tyres, new battery and most of the parts are stock. I just spend some bomb on replacing few parts mostly ICE, Lower arm, general service but the car is hoot to drive. Back to back driving on T-Jet and GTX does not have any substantial difference. Couple of things are still pending such as rear shocks, Timing belt kit, may be a clutch job, front shock mounts, probably clutch overhaul and sequential kit. Remember once you are addicted you are bound to spend even if you have small creaking noise. The build quality is fantastic. Very very minor rust for a 2002 car and no creaking noise. Try to get a good car in terms of mechanical condition rest of the things can be brought to shape.

Regards,
VIjay

If you are happy with the car, the price you pay is immaterial. You may have got a cheaper car, but it may not be so troublefree.

The list you have made is good, but please be very very careful when getting the timing belts changed. I would suggest getting the tensioner too changed along with it, and if needed the bearings too. But it is a very delicate job, and a Cam Locking tool is needed for it. To the best of my knowledge, this tool is not available with any garage in Chennai, and without it, the timing is almost impossible to set right. I'm facing severe timing issues in one of my S10's, as i believed the word of a garage, which is very recommended on this forum.

Also, while getting the lpg kit done, please ensure the installer has installed it on a 1.6 before. A chennai member has installed it in his car, and i hope to check it out soon.

PLease pm drpullockaran, as he had a 1.6gtx running beautifully on lpg.

The gtx clutch is a very strong unit, what is the issue you are facing that warrants an overhaul? How much has the car run?

Last edited by JayD : 17th February 2012 at 11:57.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The list you have made is good, but please be very very careful when getting the timing belts changed. I would suggest getting the tensioner too changed along with it, and if needed the bearings too. But it is a very delicate job, and a Cam Locking tool is needed for it. To the best of my knowledge, this tool is not available with any garage in Chennai, and without it, the timing is almost impossible to set right. I'm facing severe timing issues in one of my S10's, as i believed the word of a garage, which is very recommended on this forum.

Also, while getting the lpg kit done, please ensure the installer has installed it on a 1.6 before. A chennai member has installed it in his car, and i hope to check it out soon.
I have the parts with me for a long time (all belts, idler bearing, tensioner bearing) because of this reason I am holding the work. I agree there are no marks in the cam shaft and very difficult to set the timing unless we got hold of cam locking tool. Fortunately last week I spoke to Mr. Sriram from MyTvs Guindy and they have trained personal and the tool with them. I will be going and checking in person to confirm the availability of the tool. Regarding clutch, It is good to go but when i depress the clutch pedal clutch is not released causing grinding noise (Karr-karr) while engaging 1st and 5th gear. My mech told me its the issue with cover assy as my master and slave cylnders are in good condition. Only release bearing and cover assy will be changed. clutch depends upon the condition.
LPG kit has already installed in my friend's car (S10). The engineers came directly from BRC and installed it. The car runs pretty good.
Unfortunately new issue had cropped. From last year onwards I have vague steering trouble after I hit a pothole at high speed. I thought it could be the issue from inner tie rod ends. But the issue looks to be loose rack- pinion . I am not sure about the solution.

Regards,
Vijay

Last edited by vijaycool : 17th February 2012 at 14:15.
vijaycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 14:28   #29
BHPian

Question Re: Buying a pre-owned Palio S10 for 60K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Regarding clutch, It is good to go but when i depress the clutch pedal clutch is not released causing grinding noise (Karr-karr) while engaging 1st and 5th gear. My mech told me its the issue with cover assy as my master and slave cylnders are in good condition. Only release bearing and cover assy will be changed. clutch depends upon the condition.
Hi,
Offlate my Palio has developed this same problem. The clutch seems to be in good shape, Performance is almost the same, its only when engaging in 1st and reverse there's a grinding noise. What i want to know is If the Clutch cover assembly is available separately? or we need to buy the clutch too? and possible cost for the same. The thing is ive just changed both master and slave cylinders and this is getting a little annoying. Thanks
Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 15:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Hi,
Offlate my Palio has developed this same problem. The clutch seems to be in good shape, Performance is almost the same, its only when engaging in 1st and reverse there's a grinding noise. What i want to know is If the Clutch cover assembly is available separately? or we need to buy the clutch too? and possible cost for the same. The thing is ive just changed both master and slave cylinders and this is getting a little annoying. Thanks
Ahh. I mean to say 1st and reverse. Not sure whether we will able to procure clutch cover assy.

Regards,
Vijay
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote